The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Retailers Charging credit accounts on pre-orders
Old 4 weeks ago
Retailers Charging credit accounts on pre-orders

Any thoughts on retailers charging credit accounts on pre-orders?

A month ago I Pre-ordered a $2600 musical instrument that has an ETA in March or April. I got a notice from my credit company the other day showing that my account has been charged. I called the retailer about it and was told I should have seen the message that they were going to charge my account but may have missed it with all the clicks to get the order placed. I did not see it. Also, I have pre-ordered quite a bit of gear over the past several years from the same trusted retailer in Indiana and have never had my card charged until the item shipped.

I am curious about what others think.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
I would recommend consulting with your credit card company, especially if the gear arrives after 30 days.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian View Post
Any thoughts on retailers charging credit accounts on pre-orders?
Yes. Negative ones.
Old 3 weeks ago
My charge was refunded by the retailer. I was told I am still on the waiting list. OK (but why charge people suddenly 6 months in advance in the first place?). I am not pre-ordering anything else in the future with anyone. What is the point? To get first dibs? I could care less. I wonder if people get their commission faster by charging your credit card in advance of receiving an item?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I wonder if people get their commission faster by charging your credit card in advance of receiving an item?
Edit: Ah wait, I see you pre-orderd from a retailer in Indiana. I've always had good experiences with them, and never been charged for a pre order until it was in stock. Perhaps they just screwed this one up, people make mistakes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbDelux View Post
Edit: Ah wait, I see you pre-orderd from a retailer in Indiana. I've always had good experiences with them, and never been charged for a pre-order until it was in stock. Perhaps they just screwed this one up, people make mistakes.
No, I was told by my sales rep, in a convoluted way that they do this on pre-orders that have 48 mos. Now I have also pre-order items that offered 48 mos intertest free before and was not charged until it came in and shipped. On my first call, he said I must have clicked through quickly and missed the info regarding accounts being charged on 48 mos interest free without reading all of the info on it. I am like thinking to myself "no, I did not see that." After my second call a day or so later, I decided I was going to prob further and cancel my order. My sales rep said he realized it was not stated on their website (that they would charge accounts on pre-orders before they ship) and said he had mentioned it to the higher-ups. I told him that I had pre-ordered many things for years and was not charged until my order shipped. He said it is somewhere in the fine print of the credit issuer.

He offered to refund the amount and I would lose 48 months interest-free But he could leave me in line for getting the musical instrument. Then why charge the card in the first place???

This is very odd and disappointing.
Old 2 weeks ago
I thought the qhole point of a pre order was ro pay immediately ? Otherwise what do they get out of it ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I thought the qhole point of a pre order was ro pay immediately ? Otherwise what do they get out of it ?
The policy on larger retailers of musical instruments is that they charge your credit card when the item ships. It is even listed on the webpage of the retailer I have done pre-orders with for years now, having placed preorders and not being charged until they shipped and were shipped.

So No.
Have you ever done a pre-order with a large/reputable retailer???
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
The policy on larger retailers of musical instruments is that they charge your credit card when the item ships. It is even listed on the webpage of the retailer I have done pre-orders with for years now, having placed preorders and not being charged until they shipped and were shipped.

So No.
Have you ever done a pre-order with a large/reputable retailer???
No - I wouldn't pre-order anything because it doesn't make any sense to me .
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
No - I wouldn't pre-order anything because it doesn't make any sense to me .
OK. Other people do. Thanks for confirming.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search