The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ways to get project funding?
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Head

Ways to get project funding?

Hi everyone,

I have a problem that I don’t know how to solve.
Not so long ago, I started a crowdfunding campaign to gather funds to finish a conceptual album (record vocals, mix & master). Despite my efforts, campaign bombed and I have only 11 days left to make it successful.

Music was my passion for almost 20 years but I never saw it more than just a hobby, so I don’t have any actual fanbase that can help me out.
I also fully finished one of the songs to use it as a showcase for the campaign. But it doesn’t work in a way I hoped.

So, my main question is - what can I try to do to get exposure for my project campaign?
Another question is - Where else I can look for project financing besides crowdfunding and hired work?

I’ll be extremely grateful if you can share your thoughts on my current situation.

Here's the material I prepared:
Old 13th October 2019
Put your stuff up on YouTube??? and hope someone likes it???

Fact of life: Today no one except maybe family and friends are going to loan you or give you any money for a recording project for the same reasons you are finding it hard to do a crowd funding project. You are an unknown musician and your chances of getting back any money are slim and none. It is the way the world works today. Why 11 days??? inquiring minds want to know.

Best of luck!
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Head

Thomas W. Bethe

Thank you for your opinion. Is there something more proactive than just posting stuff on social media?
How can I generate value with my music?

Regarding 11 days - this is all the time I have left as previous weeks didn't get any traction.
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveOne View Post
I’ll be extremely grateful if you can share your thoughts on my current situation.
The stuff you have posted is quite nice - better than most DIY musical projects - so that's a big plus.

My very obvious question is - what do you need the money for and how much do you need?
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Addict
It's a long road to being able to fund projects. I have a band I'm semi-active in who have around 30,000 facebook "fans". We could probably do a funding campaign for around £20,000 for an album but we've always just funded it ourselves and then split the profits.

It took me being on a major label and their funding to build that fanbase. It's really hard to do now.

I quit a band I started a few years back who got to 12,000+ fans in a year. It was a hell of an achievement in hindsight, but we sold next to nothing. Fans streamed the album on Spotify and didn't buy merch and digital/physical copies of the album. We were about to do a funding campaign for a second release but just threw in the towel, it wasn't fun anymore.

Ask yourself this:

If you put yourself in a position of a total stranger and saw your project from the outside:
a) How would you find the music in the first place? If you went online, why would somebody stumble upon the music ahead of all the hundreds of thousands of artists who have label support or are pushing heavy marketing?

b) Why would you donate money to the cause? What is it about the project and the music that makes people who don't know the name want to part with their money? When they could likely just wait until it was released and listen to it on Spotify or YouTube for free?

If I were you, I would do individual tracks. Start a facebook page, youtube channel... release one track each month for a year. Market it heavily and put some serious time into promoting it and see where it goes.

If anybody could just decide they're going to make an album, start a crowdfunding project and have it funded then musicians wouldn't be in such a sorry state. In fact the whole industry would recover, people could fund engineers/studios/producers/mixers with their crowdfunding and the value of music would increase significantly.

Not trying to be discouraging here, but the music industry is absolutely brutal. You can have the best music in the world, but if you don't have a fairly substantial amount of investment nobody is really going to ever hear it until you're very strategic and lucky.

In addition, asking for £20,000 in funding when you're a completely unknown artist with no prior releases or fanbase is completely unrealistic. With support tours for good, well known artists under my belt and 12,000 fans wanting more music by my last band asking even £10,000 would have been questionable.

Last edited by theillusionist; 14th October 2019 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: added more info
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Here's an unpopular notion and what we did for many many years - get a 2nd and 3rd job.
Old 14th October 2019
Quote:
Another question is - Where else I can look for project financing besides crowdfunding and hired work?
Get a day job and spend the money you earn on your project.
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Get a day job and spend the money you earn on your project.
Yep.

You seem like an alright guy, so I dont want this to come off as me being a dick... But why would I (or someone online) want to spend my hard earned cash funding somebodies "dream". Especially considering that you arent offering a percent of gross profits or anything like that.

Youre asking for an investment with zero return.

Do you have the ability to produce and record content at home to save money? Where are these $10k+ numbers coming from?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas, it means a lot to me.

The Byre
$20 200 for hiring vocalists, post-production, mixing and mastering.

theillusionist
I appreciate your effort to write such a detailed answer. I understand your points and I see what you mean.
Although, I asked about my options in the current situation.

swafford & Desire Inspires
Thank you for your answers but my question was - what else I can do besides hired work and crowdfunding? I know I can do it, as I did it for the last 19 years and I’m more than familiar with this approach. Nevertheless, I appreciate your efforts.

HerbDelux
I’m grateful for your insight. Although, I asked about ways to flip the current situation or find alternative ways to fund the project.
You mentioned a percent from profits, which can’t be applied to crowdfunding because it’s another business model - you get value according to the amount of your donation, it’s more like a preorder.
Offering a share from the potential profits is an idea but whom can I try to interest with it? That’s why I also asked - how can I generate value with my music?

I understand that this market is brutal and the odds are slim but my questions still stand - what can I try to do in the current conditions?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas, it means a lot to me.

I understand that this market is brutal and the odds are slim but my questions still stand - what can I try to do in the current conditions?
I think that has already been answered numerous times.

You cannot expect someone, like yourself, to get funding when they are a virtual unknown. The best you can do is to get yourself known with some good comments on your music on Facebook or YouTube and then build from there. I can tell you from personal experience there are no shortcuts.

Do you gig at all and if so where? If you have a following then so much the better.

I had a client borrow $40,000 from his mother to do a album. He hired all the best musicians and a top tier recording engineer and mix engineer and I did his mastering. This was over 10 years ago and he had a good following of fans. To the best of my knowledge he is still paying off his mother and the album did well but did not make back all the money invested. That was before the proliferation of musicians on the social networking sites all looking to get their music "out there". I read somewhere that there are at least 100 new musicians posting on various sites every week and that story was a couple of years ago. (5200 musicians just like you all trying to get noticed.

You might want to do some research here https://sproutsocial.com/insights/so...for-musicians/ and https://www.musicindustryhowto.com/6...for-musicians/ and just to get more depressed https://www.shmoop.com/careers/singe...etting-in.html

I can tell you are honest and sincere by the way you write and those are good attributes but "making" it in music is a whole different mind set.

Best of luck and let us know how things are going.
Old 4 weeks ago
Nobody else is going to fund your project.

Get to work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
The only way you’re going to get funding is by taking out a bank loan, borrowing money off family, selling assets or working a regular job and saving up.

£20,000 is more than most record labels are willing to invest these days
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry to be another bearer of bad tidings, but the only people I can think of who have crowdfunded an album are established artists/bands with a loyal fanbase. In some cases, they've been major-label bands who have been dropped (or who have chosen to step away from the major label system) - e.g. Marillion, who more or less pioneered the idea of the fan-funded album/tour back in the mid-to-late 90s. In other cases, they've been smaller independent bands who, nevertheless, do still have a dedicated fanbase and who maintain it and grow it by relentless gigging (in many cases).

The other question with crowdfunding is, of course, what do you offer? If your campaign is on somewhere like Kickstarter or Indiegogo, you must presumably be offering something to your backers. That's something you need to get right more or less from the start. What kind of rewards are you offering? Are there several levels or are you just, basically, taking pre-orders for an album (assuming it gets made)?

Again, crowdfunding campaigns that I know to have been successful have had a good range of rewards - from a download of the album at the cheapest end, through a simple CD copy, to vinyl, to signed limited edition vinyl and, in at least one case, to private house concerts from the artists themselves. The house concert option wasn't cheap, but I think they still got a few takers for it and those backers alone got them a fair way to their goal. (Although, fair warning, this was once again a band with an established fanbase and who are constantly gigging.)

In the absence of the above factors, you've set yourself a seriously difficult row to hoe. Without some kind of fanbase, you're unlikely to find a lot of engagement unless you drive it yourself. As others have said, getting stuff out there on YouTube/Facebook/wherever and constantly pushing it is probably as much as you can really do. The majority of successful crowdfunding campaigns - regardless of what they're about - constantly engage with their backers and prospective backers. You've got to be there and responsive and give people the feeling that they're part of your journey (whatever that may be). Even then, you're one of thousands (if not millions) doing the same thing, so there aren't any guarantees unless you've already got some kind of track record or unless you've already got a crowd of your own to bring to the party (i.e. existing fans).

Good luck though - you never know!

Last edited by adrianww; 4 weeks ago at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thomas W. Bethe

Thank you for your links, I’ll definitely check them out.

adrianww

Yes, it’s a Kickstarter campaign with rewards ranging from $1 to $499. Rewards are not limited to music but include art, ambient soundscape collection, work-in-progress material and other stuff.
I added a link, so you can check it out if you’d like.

Nevertheless, thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and opinions. I understand these are tough questions and there are no obvious answers to them. But I really appreciate your efforts.

Quote:
MAN by Rakhmatulin|Schoenwetter — Kickstarter

Rakhmatulin|Schoenwetter is raising funds for MAN on Kickstarter! An echo of a boundless life.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I have a problem that I don’t know how to solve.
Not so long ago, I started a crowdfunding campaign to gather funds to finish a conceptual album (record vocals, mix & master). Despite my efforts, campaign bombed and I have only 11 days left to make it successful.

Music was my passion for almost 20 years but I never saw it more than just a hobby, so I don’t have any actual fanbase that can help me out.
I also fully finished one of the songs to use it as a showcase for the campaign. But it doesn’t work in a way I hoped.

So, my main question is - what can I try to do to get exposure for my project campaign?

Here's the material I prepared:
Not trying to be an ahole but: get a job and invest your own money.

Why should I give you cash for this luxurious project while there are poor people who have nothing to eat who I can support. So why should I support you? Your music isn't the genre I listen to, I could probably listen to the music of that genre for free on YouTube.

To me if a musician asks for money it's a sign that he's financially broke and not successful. I can't see a reason why I should give him money if his music isn't special. There are tons of artists who never ask for cash.

You need more promotion and publicity, I would see what I could do on YouTube and Facebook, maybe Instagram too. Do some charity work, I'm sure if you would do an album with disabled kids or kids with cancer you would reach a wider crowd. But the problem with this is that working with these kids must really come from your heart, not for the greed to become rich and famous because you'll be just using them.

Just my .2s. I never made any money with music, for me it's just a hobby and I never was even serious about it. IF I would become serious about this hobby I would simply open up my own record label and use my own money on promos and promote the crap out of everything. But you need to have money in order to make money.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
Just my .2s. I never made any money with music, for me it's just a hobby and I never was even serious about it.
So, how can you give me any advices then?
Thank you for your opinion though.

So, does anybody know how generate value with music?

I thought a good idea was to write article about my experience, like this:

Quote:
A Song: From Idea to Realization - Artur Rakhmatulin - Medium

[img]https://miro.medium.com/max/1200/1*iUFOYDSh1DD24fZ60tm3YA.png[/img]

Like everything in the world, a music composition has its own span of evolution. Through different stages it goes from abstract and unbalanced to structured and consistent. Here, I’d like to share…
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
So, does anybody know how to generate value with music?
Easy - get out there and gig!

Get loads of lights and smoke etc and put on an impressive show and gig!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Easy - get out there and gig!

Get loads of lights and smoke etc and put on an impressive show and gig!
Don’t forget to wear a mask!

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search