The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Time machine needed!!!
Old 1 week ago
Time machine needed!!!

Man I just bought a new cassette player in hopes of pulling some decent recordings off tapes of a band I used to be in 30 some years age. I was the keyboardist, and one day I brought a old cassette deck to record our rehearsals. I think I was using a crappy pc microphone to record with. Flash forward to a few years ago, I went thru all my tapes and tried to salvage any of the history, only a few bits and pieces were salvageable. But not the stuff with the band, every song had a muddy sound to it.

I get to the dumpster about to toss all the the tapes away. A thought crossed my mind, I was using thrift store cassette decks to get the music to pc. But what if I those decks were causing the muddiness , so I decided not to throw the tapes out and hung on to them.

Last night a brand new usb cassette player came in, I listened to the band through Cad studio headphones, but to no avail the mud was still there and not going away.

So if anyone has a time machine I need a lift to 1988, so I can slap myself and force me to buy good microphones and properly placed during rehearsals!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They tend to be located in phone booths, fwiw
Old 1 week ago
It could also be that the azimuth was off on the record machine which would make them sound "muddy" if played on a machine with the azimuth in the correct position. Just a thought. With some Nakamichi decks you could adjust the playback azimuth to compensate for off axis azimuth. FWIW
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I have Delorean I could sell you... But it only reaches 87 MPH.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I only have a Tardis I can lend you!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Perhaps one of those BBE Sonic Maximizers would help, a least a little.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search