The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Negative Thoughts
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Negative Thoughts

I'm 25. Started producing/writing/making music at 15. I know I can do it to completion, but then why do I get severe anxiety and stressed out and negative when I finish a song thats good and am thinking of ideas for new ones or just starting a new one? Thoughts like "you just got lucky, another good song cant be made by you again cause if it could maybe youd be famous by now, or you have used up all your good music ideas throughout your life already sorry punk" etc.. any hints on how to overcome this and just trust yourself that your music ability isnt a timer waiting to end
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I don't think you're describing anything different than most of us suffer from at one point or another - there's definitely a come down when you finish a project you've been intensely involved in, and you can easily swither from loving what you've just done to hating it with a passion. Then starting a new project will fill any composer with a fear of the empty page and feelings of inadequacy - the first ideas you come up with can really seem to suck when you're not in the zone yet. The big difference in my opinion is when someone's paying for it and they have a deadline - it's an added layer of stress, but it's also a fantastic way of focussing the mind to get on and get it done.
For what it's worth, and I only say this to reassure you, I've been a professional composer for 30 years and I'm right in that crapping myself on a new project zone as I type. So, it's just part of the journey - relax and give yourself a break and know that you're not alone.
And write another tune and hell, have some fun. Music Is Fun, right?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie B View Post
I don't think you're describing anything different than most of us suffer from at one point or another - there's definitely a come down when you finish a project you've been intensely involved in, and you can easily swither from loving what you've just done to hating it with a passion. Then starting a new project will fill any composer with a fear of the empty page and feelings of inadequacy - the first ideas you come up with can really seem to suck when you're not in the zone yet. The big difference in my opinion is when someone's paying for it and they have a deadline - it's an added layer of stress, but it's also a fantastic way of focussing the mind to get on and get it done.
For what it's worth, and I only say this to reassure you, I've been a professional composer for 30 years and I'm right in that crapping myself on a new project zone as I type. So, it's just part of the journey - relax and give yourself a break and know that you're not alone.
And write another tune and hell, have some fun. Music Is Fun, right?
Very true.. thank you for reminding me that music should be fun. Seem to forgot more often than not why I got into music. I'm in a composition class right now and we have themed assignments and while themes are fun and helpful, sometimes they feel like a hindrance when you just wanna make what you feel inside. Glad to know someone as experienced as you still has days like this!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Haha - this never goes away you see - you just learn to deal with it! You should have said you're doing a composition class - I've never had composition lessons, but I did a music degree and always hated exercises like that with a passion. "Here's one bar of a Palestrina Motet going down to one line for a page or two - complete the other voices....aaaargh!!!" Almost put me off for good....I get where you're coming from!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie B View Post
Haha - this never goes away you see - you just learn to deal with it! You should have said you're doing a composition class - I've never had composition lessons, but I did a music degree and always hated exercises like that with a passion. "Here's one bar of a Palestrina Motet going down to one line for a page or two - complete the other voices....aaaargh!!!" Almost put me off for good....I get where you're coming from!!

Good to know also sucks to know lmao
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm a bad ass because other people, who's opinions matter more to me than my own, even though I watch them **** up and pass blame daily, THINK I'm a bad ass, and tell me I am.

I'm a bad ass, because day by day, year by year, I go the extra distance, do things the way they NEED done, ASSESS results, go back and fix what needs fixed, to MY high standards, even when I-m tired, or lazy, or cold, or hurtin... for so long now, that I ****ing well KNOW I'm a bad ass.

Pick one.

Forward.

:-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I'm 28 and sometimes I think for me at least that this fear relates not so much to the fear of not being able to write another good song but to the idea that my successes with music might never win me anything substantial, like I might have a talent for composition but not be able to succeed in living off it.
Old 3 days ago

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search