The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
EBay - never again.
Old 2 weeks ago
EBay - never again.

I apologise in advance for what is going to be a long diatribe but if you have nothing better to to for the next few minutes it may well be useful reading since we all use eBay and PayPal to sell and buy gear.

I recently put on EBay a Universal Audio Satellite FireWire in great condition, having upgraded my Mac to a Thunderbolt only model. A few days later I receive a message from the buyer saying that “it’s faulty” and he wants to return it. That seemed strange as it was working perfectly when I sent it, but to avoid any hassle I immediately agreed to taking it back and refunding him in full, so I asked him to send it back.

The same day, I notice that PayPal has withdrawn from my account the same amount that the unit sold for, without any warning or explanation whatsoever. That seemed harsh and unnecessary since I had immediately made it clear that I was going to refund the buyer. By the way I’ve been on eBay since 2000 and my feedback is 100% excellent, never a complaint.
So I get the unit back, I test it and as I suspected it works absolutely perfectly both on a FW equipped MacBook Pro and on my new 6,1 using a FW to Thunderbolt adapter. I take some pictures of it working and I message the buyer politely saying that the problem was with his system but I was going to send him his refund anyway.
So I try to do just that, but the eBay website gives me an error message “We’re having problems with this action, please try again later or contact us”.
Contacting them is easier said than done because the site seems to be built to avoid you from doing just that but eventually I find a phone number and after ages on hold I talk to some one who tells me, I’m not making this up: “Look, we’re having some bugs with refunding, I suggest that you call Paypal tomorrow morning and you do it from there”.
I manage to get him to give me a reference number for the transaction and I message the buyer explaining him what just happened, I also included a screen shot of the error message. I told him that I was going to call Paypal first thing in the morning and that he shouldn’t worry, I was going to refund him come what may.
Half an hour later I get an email from ebay saying that the buyer had just opened a case and they had immediately refunded him, therefore I owe them the money from the transaction. Followed, believe it or not, with a “How did we do?” customer satisfaction form.
So now the situation is that I owe the same amount to both eBay and PayPal, for an item that works perfectly well. I did a bit of googling and many other similar stories crept out, with sellers being basically extorted, Paypal withholding money at will and without budging, and buyers sometimes getting refunded twice.
Surely when evaluating the case they must have seen that I had tried to issue the refund immediately but their website didn’t let me. And they must have a recorded call where one of their representatives confirmed just that.
Again, sorry for the long rant, but these things should be made public so that people can be aware of what they’re possibly getting into when deciding to sell on eBay, and that PayPal seem to have decided that they can do whatever they want with your money.

Last edited by microwave; 2 weeks ago at 01:44 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

eBay Refund procedure
1) Buyer submits a refund request through ebay
2) ebay emails buyer to return item the item
3) Seller gets item back and insects it
4) Selerl issues refund THROUGH EBAY (NOT Paypal)
5) eBay then refunds the ORIGINAL TRANSACTION though Paypal automatic procedure seller does not have to anything on Paypal

this is ONLY way you get 100% of your ebay selling fees PLUS your Paypal fees are returned
Old 1 week ago
that's terrible customer service,

I hope you get it sorted out, I would be tempted to tell the bank as well to see if they can do anything, sounds like you got scammed by a rogue buyer there, I get a lot of anxiety thesedays when I want to sell something on ebay, and it's not been about small sellers for a long time now, and all it takes is just one idiot like this.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
that's terrible customer service,

I hope you get it sorted out, I would be tempted to tell the bank as well to see if they can do anything, sounds like you got scammed by a rogue buyer there, I get a lot of anxiety thesedays when I want to sell something on ebay, and it's not been about small sellers for a long time now, and all it takes is just one idiot like this.
Thank you. I’ve been on the phone several times with them, they’re all over the place and there seems to be very little communication between eBay and PayPal, even though they’re effectively the same company. I definitely will not be selling anything of any importance on eBay again.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search