The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
$3,600 for a 35 dB Mic Pre + EQ? C'mon!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

$3,600 for a 35 dB Mic Pre + EQ? C'mon!

API recently released their 862 preamp/EQ 50th anniversary combo hardware. See it at https://vintageking.com/api-862-mic-...versary-series

For $3,600, this better do the laundry, change the car oil, mow the lawn and dust the furniture. But hey, I guess there are enough people out there who will drop the coin for that limited edition face plate and VU meter right?

They could have at least included a gain stage between the pre and EQ so you can crank up the pre to the maximum but I guess that's what the insert is for...

The odd part is, the description says 35 dB of preamp gain. The API web site says the same, so that's NOT a typo. I'm not buying a weak preamp for $3,600!

Their new BOX Console update for 2019 looks nice though. The original one was way overpriced. This new one has eight channels and a stereo buss compressor included. Perfect for a low-mid budget tier C-grade studio.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
API recently released their 862 preamp/EQ 50th anniversary combo hardware. See it at https://vintageking.com/api-862-mic-...versary-series

For $3,600, this better do the laundry, change the car oil, mow the lawn and dust the furniture. But hey, I guess there are enough people out there who will drop the coin for that limited edition face plate and VU meter right?

They could have at least included a gain stage between the pre and EQ so you can crank up the pre to the maximum but I guess that's what the insert is for...

The odd part is, the description says 35 dB of preamp gain. The API web site says the same, so that's NOT a typo. I'm not buying a weak preamp for $3,600!

Their new BOX Console update for 2019 looks nice though. The original one was way overpriced. This new one has eight channels and a stereo buss compressor included. Perfect for a low-mid budget tier C-grade studio.
It may as well arrive DOA, exactly like the old days
Everyone knows the "not without my APIs!" ad, but no one remembers the next page in the magazine that says "well you'd better find something that works or you're fired"

Ahm joking...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, this unit has 35 dB of adjustable gain. However, the gain range for the unit is from +34 dB to +69 dB. In short, it starts with +34 dB of gain to begin with, before the gain control is turned up at all (+14 dB if the -20 dB pad is engaged).

Here's the User Manual:

http://www.apiaudio.com/docs/files/8...2019-08-20.pdf
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Yes, this unit has 35 dB of adjustable gain. However, the gain range for the unit is from +34 dB to +69 dB. In short, it starts with +34 dB of gain to begin with, before the gain control is turned up at all (+14 dB if the -20 dB pad is engaged).

Here's the User Manual:

http://www.apiaudio.com/docs/files/8...2019-08-20.pdf
Ok that definitely makes my rant less valid hehe.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok that definitely makes my rant less valid hehe.
And I wasn't funny either My humor was based on Prosumer stuff from around that era, and I now feel bad to have even joked around about Saul Walker's brilliant stuff back then. He was a co-founder of API and everyone who knew him was aware what a master he was.

We'll repent in sackcloth and ashes doom64; they'll forgive us. :
So we had a bad concert and the audience got up and left; we're still keeping the money
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
And I wasn't funny either My humor was based on Prosumer stuff from around that era, and I now feel bad to have even joked around about Saul Walker's brilliant stuff back then. He was a co-founder of API and everyone who knew him was aware what a master he was.

We'll repent in sackcloth and ashes doom64; they'll forgive us. :
So we had a bad concert and the audience got up and left; we're still keeping the money
Hehehe.

Well, I will say this...why bury such specs in the manual? How are we to know that it adds an automatic large amount of gain? Right?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search