The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
most annoying distractions whilest trying to record?
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Maniac

ARGH!!

I had some bananas in the other room, and now there is a fruit fly buzzing around, that I can't catch. must be attracted to the lights on the recording gear, or my stressed out pheromones, because it buzzes right in front of my face anytime I try to lay something down.

as soon as I stop the DAW he disappears. crafty little bugger.

had to vent. anyone else got irritating things get in the way?
Old 19th September 2019
Lives for gear

Neighbor mowing his lawn, crickets, ingested to much Psilocybin, dog barking at the Pete the yard possum, my wife texting me about the dog barking at Pete the yard possum, ingested to much Psilocybin, have to pee.

So many distractions, so little time and I ingested to much Psilocybin.
Old 19th September 2019
Lives for gear

Life is but a distraction...from ingesting psilocibin.
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Maniac

I had to look that up :(

do they sell that separately now, as a supplement?
Old 20th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
I had to look that up :(

do they sell that separately now, as a supplement?
Naw man, life is free.
Old 20th September 2019
Lives for gear

During playback, and notes, clients on their smartphones, NOT paying attention.
WASTE OF MY FREAKIN TIME!!!!
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Naw man, life is free.
when I looked that word up, it said it was the hallucinogenic ingredient in MAGIC MUSHROOMS

so I guess they are free, if you grow them, or can find them in some farmers field. otherwise you have to buy them from somebody?
Old 20th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
when I looked that word up, it said it was the hallucinogenic ingredient in MAGIC MUSHROOMS

so I guess they are free, if you grow them, or can find them in some farmers field. otherwise you have to buy them from somebody?
Sorry, misunderstood you. Yes, they can be free. If you can identify mushrooms, you can find them growing in horse or cow poop. Or buy some spores, which are legal in most US states, and learn to grow your own.
Old 20th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
During playback, and notes, clients on their smartphones, NOT paying attention.
WASTE OF MY FREAKIN TIME!!!!
If they don't leave the control room to use their phones when I ask I usually just sit and wait until they are off of their phones. It's their money; if they want to spend it on the phone rather than paying attention to the session it just puts more hours onto my bill. When they want to know why I'm just sitting there doing nothing I tell them the phones are causing EM interference/distortion while in use and repeat my request to leave the control room or shut their phones down.
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
clients on their smartphones, NOT paying attention.
^ This.

Stop playback. Fold arms. Grind teeth. Rewind. Rinse. Repeat.

^ So that. And fruit flies. Or any flies really.

T
Old 21st September 2019
Lives for gear

People chewing with their mouth open, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrghhhhgaaaaghaaaa!!!!!
Old 22nd September 2019
Quote:
Sorry, misunderstood you. Yes, they can be free. If you can identify mushrooms, you can find them growing in horse or cow poop. Or buy some spores, which are legal in most US states, and learn to grow your own.
As a child of the 60s, I'll just add, be careful what you ingest. And then be careful what you do while you are 'tripping'* (as we used to say. )

Psilocybin mushrooms -- the real thing -- are a reasonably safe way to ingest an hallucinogen that, in many ways, parallels the LSD experience, but they can be hard to get dosage right, some bad folks have actually faked psilocybin mushrooms (injecting non-magic mushrooms with something -- and these days, sadly, that might be something TRULY dangerous, like 'synthetic marijuana' -- which, despite its aspirational name, shares almost no positive traits with cannabis, but comprises a number of very real dangers to the unsuspecting victim).

In the good ol' bad ol' days, even adventurous hippies typically recommended that psychedelic neophytes be 'accompanied' by a clear-headed, unloaded, but wised-up/exprienced companion, often called a 'conductor' (like the guy on the train ) -- someone who is aware of the sorts of dangers/temptations that might beset someone in that circumstance.

Experienced seekers will often also advise choosing one's locale and activities with great care. Going to the mall or the swap meet or even the 'wrong' concert on acid or mushrooms could make for a decidedly unpleasant, even panic-inducing experience. Everyone is different, but I've talked to a lot of folks who preferred to do their psychedelic seeking away from other people, typically in a pleasant, natural setting.
Old 22nd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
As a child of the 60s, I'll just add, be careful what you ingest. And then be careful what you do while you are 'tripping'* (as we used to say. )
OK dad.
Old 22nd September 2019
Quote:
OK dad.
Old 23rd September 2019
Gear Nut

The three little yapping dogs next door. They literally bark at the sky or the wall of our house due to boredom because the idiots that have them, rarely take out. They bark at us when they hear me inside! And they're loud enough to make it into the mics. Yap-yap-yap. Then they stop and I begin to think someone took them inside and will get a break......then yap-yap-yap, the cycle begins again. For me = a kind of chinese water torture. AAAAAAH. And yes, we've gone to court once over it but they can't be told anything = neighbors from HELL. I feel a little better now.
Old 23rd September 2019
The bored, non participating entourage of the musicians.
Old 24th September 2019
Lives for gear

The sound coming out of the amplifier while I play my guitar.
Old 24th September 2019
Gear Addict

The schizophrenic? or bi-polar drug addicted neighbour of my old "studio" in Toronto. Made some great records in there but always had to be wary of the possibility of unannounced massively loud metal played through the PA next door. He was a decent guy at the bottom of it all but had big issues. Other than him we had no neighbours who cared about noise and great 2+ storey ceilings, big room, ceiling didn't leak too much... that last point never became an issue, as long as you didn't put gear out in the live room in two particular spots on days with heavy rain...
Old 24th September 2019
Hot babes keep coming over, offering me steaks, champagne, and intimacy. I can’t be bothered with such trivial things. These songs don’t write themselves you know!
Old 24th September 2019
Not exactly a distraction but all this neighbor talk got me to thinking about the day I walked out of my old house through my old, overgrown backyard and heard the distinctive sound of someone playing blues style riffing and leads on a strat-like single coil into a classic Fender-sounding reverb amp coming from the granny flat of the next door duplex. Since it was much more a hip hop kind of neighborhood, I took notice right away.

Stranger still, it sounded like a somewhat slicker, more well-rounded version of my own guitar approach. (I use a Strat mostly and mostly play into a Blues Jr w/ a spring 'verb.)

So, a few days later when I noticed an unfamiliar white guy getting out of his car carrying a Fender style case, I waved. He waved back and called out, 'Don't you hang out at [a local coffee house]? The drummer in my band works there!' I knew the coffee house he meant, since I spent a couple hours there most mornings in those days.

I walked over and we compared notes.

I said, 'So, wait, Brian is your drummer?'

And he said, 'Yeah.'

And I said, 'So your front man is Chad?'

And he said, 'Yeah, he is!'

And I said, 'Dude, you replaced ME in that band!'

I explained that I'd joined the band as a favor to Brian on a temporary basis until they could find someone solid to fill the slot. We then compared notes on the band, as, you know, you would.

It was a pretty odd coincidence, all in all. This is a town of nearly a half million people and the coffee house was in a totally different part of town.

PS... On a lark, I just did a quick search through my streamer and found a couple music-only vids from (I think) that subsequent version of the outfit. I remember this song, for it's, uh, colorful language [you've been warned]. Here's another (language, oh my!) that I remembered. FWIW, my guitar work in the band was considerably different, less metally; they'd paired me up with an older black funk guitarist and we would sort of go off in our own fatbacking interchanges. The new guy tightened up and focused their sound; he was a good pick, I think.
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
It was a pretty odd coincidence, all in all. This is a town of nearly a half million people and the coffee house was in a totally different part of town.
Naw Pops, no coincidence, it's Hippy pheromones.
Old 26th September 2019
Quote:
Naw Pops, no coincidence, it's Hippy pheromones.

It was just one of those fine Jungian things...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search