The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland hate
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Roland hate

I think I figured it all out!

Everybody hates rolands new gear until about 10 years later and then they all want it! It’s like solving the chicken and the egg puzzle!

Nobody likes the Jupiter x/m but in 10 years everybody will be on here asking where to get 9ne....it’s like the 808/303 all over again

Just thought I’d poke a little fun.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The GAIA is 10 next year...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just don't understand why Roland is hated so.
/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm obviously insane.

I prefer modern Roland gear far more than their past stuff.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfrost View Post

Everybody hates rolands new gear until about 10 years later and then they all want it! It’s like solving the chicken and the egg puzzle!

Nobody likes the Jupiter x/m but in 10 years everybody will be on here asking where to get 9ne....it’s like the 808/303 all over again

Oh that's because they design the future. They should design the present if they want people to like them immediately. It's the one flaw in their plan...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For my own purposes, it takes not 10 but 20-25 years for Roland gear to fit in my studio. I’m just now getting into the VG8ex.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Last piece of Roland gear I bought was in '86. I bought my S50 sampler largely because it was a disk operating system and they advertised it already had one update with many more to follow. That was the last update. When Roland finally updates the OS on my S50, I'll consider buying Roland gear again. Yes... I can hold a grudge.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I'm obviously insane.

I prefer modern Roland gear far more than their past stuff.

Your membership is coming up to 10 years...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Your membership is coming up to 10 years...
Oh sh*t, that explains why the jewel on my palm has started flashing...........Carousel time [gulp!]
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh sh*t, that explains why the jewel on my palm has started flashing...........Carousel time [gulp!]
"Fish, plankton, sea greens and protein from the sea"
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Renew! Renew!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

To me the problem with Roland is that they often release products that are completely incoherent, at a premium price. The Xm and the MC707/101 are such products. The second issue is their use of nostalgia to market completely unrelated products. Calling ROMplers Juno or Jupiter, like it wouldn't sell if it was called something else, but if it's written "Jupiter" on the panel, people are like "Oh look at this, the new jupiter, no need to even look at the specs, it's Roland!".

To be fair there are as much Roland shills here ready to defend any of Roland's decisions as they are critiques or Roland dubious products.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Roland gear needs creative souls to make creative music, I think that's the problem today. People prefer copying 30 year old music on their copied true analog clones
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
To me the problem with Roland is that they often release products that are completely incoherent, at a premium price. The Xm and the MC707/101 are such products. The second issue is their use of nostalgia to market completely unrelated products. Calling ROMplers Juno or Jupiter, like it wouldn't sell if it was called something else, but if it's written "Jupiter" on the panel, people are like "Oh look at this, the new jupiter, no need to even look at the specs, it's Roland!".

To be fair there are as much Roland shills here ready to defend any of Roland's decisions as they are critiques or Roland dubious products.
Amen to that! I was very exited when they announced the Jupiter 80 till I saw the demos, it has nothing to do with the vintage Jupiter 8. Boutiques? Too small, 4 voices, it's more like a toy, disappointed again. System 8 with the plugout series? Disappointed again, you need to login once in a while in order to keep using them. We've been begging them to reissue their vintage synths, they refuse and they don't care about their customers unlike Behringer who actually gives us what we want. You see as a company you need to produce what the masses want, not what the company likes. It's so funny how Behringer actually nailed the sound of the RD08, they nail it every single time.

I love the Roland of the 80s, the Roland of nowadays is just crap. Jupiter X? lol an another rompler, no thanks I skip this one. I wait till Behringer clones the Jupiter 8, thats the synth I'm going to get.

The RD08 just got released and it's already the most sold drummachine in Europe. It had probably already outsold the TR808 boutique in the first week. Kudos to Uli Behringer, well done!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I don’t own anything Roland... but I don’t own anything from Korg or Yamaha either. None of them make anything that really seems interesting to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I pray you're as cute as Jenny...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I pray you're as cute as Jenny...
She was a green. Aira user.

Guy on the right in the Red, JDXA user. About to run. You can always tell.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've been on Internet synth forums since the start in the mid-'90s... some people used to hate the Nord Lead, it's now become a classic. They used to hate the Alesis Andromeda, now it's become a classic. They used to hate the JP-8000, now it's become a classic. Some people used to hate the V-Synth, now it's become a classic. Some people used to hate the Korg Oasys, now it's become the "Bentley" classic car of synths; some people used to hate the Moog Voyager, now it's become a classic; some people used to hate the JP-80, now they say the JP-80 sounds great in comparison to the Jupiter-X. In the meantime, the rest of us use whatever we can get our hands on to make music, and move on. Some people were born complainers, and will die complainers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

To me, wanting Roland gear 10 years after seldomly has something to do with the gear but rather its price.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarnateX View Post
To me, wanting Roland gear 10 years after seldomly has something to do with the gear but rather its price.
That would explain the JD990 and XV5080 in my rack, controlled by an A-70...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I've been on Internet synth forums since the start in the mid-'90s... some people used to hate the Nord Lead, it's now become a classic. They used to hate the Alesis Andromeda, now it's become a classic. They used to hate the JP-8000, now it's become a classic. Some people used to hate the V-Synth, now it's become a classic. Some people used to hate the Korg Oasys, now it's become the "Bentley" classic car of synths; some people used to hate the Moog Voyager, now it's become a classic; some people used to hate the JP-80, now they say the JP-80 sounds great in comparison to the Jupiter-X. In the meantime, the rest of us use whatever we can get our hands on to make music, and move on. Some people were born complainers, and will die complainers.
Your Jupiter 80 demo was phenomenal!

Also, over the years, I've spoken with many different musicians / music store employees / people on other forums and a surprising amount tell me if they had a chance to buy the Jupiter 80 now, they would and some regret not buying it before it was discontinued.

In a general sense, I'm thinking as synths get on with age and more demos surface, the want and need for it grows stronger and when the supply is no longer there, they REALLY want it. Sellers will take note and adjust their prices accordingly
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitable View Post
Your Jupiter 80 demo was phenomenal!

Also, over the years, I've spoken with many different musicians / music store employees / people on other forums and a surprising amount tell me if they had a chance to buy the Jupiter 80 now, they would and some regret not buying it before it was discontinued.

I'm thinking as these things get on with age and more demos surface, the want and need for it grows stronger and when the supply is no longer there, they REALLY want it. Sellers will take note and adjust their prices accordingly
Thank you very much! Yeah, the JP-80 should have been more successful - it's a quality board. Again, so many people got stuck on the name and "but muh analog!!!" and it was like a rising self-amplifying wave of bad things said about that keyboard since it came out. Because of that, I was able to get a brand new JP-80 at a low price when they were phasing them out from the stores a few years ago. I remember doing the same thing for the V-Synth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In the case of the current crop it's more like 30years, and it will be strictly collectors and people trying to recreate "vintage" EDM with the "original" gear.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I got an FA-06 in February and I love it. Don't record/produce with it at all but it's a perfect all-purpose gig board for me, and I use it for cover band gigs, creative original gigs, my own fusion band, everything. It ain't perfect but it's insanely powerful and good-sounding for what I paid (about $1k). I've also had fun creating multi-timbral sounds with the SN engine, I really like a lot of the waveforms and it's VERY editable. Quite a deep and powerful board for not much bread.

Before that, my Roland Juno-DI saw me through hundreds of gigs around the country, and I bought that thing for like $550. It paid for itself hundreds of times over. The fact is, gigging keyboardists have it GREAT today. Mid-tier boards now crush top-tier boards from 2000, and that's exactly as it should be. I'd love it if Roland's hardware quality were up to Yamaha's standards, but I like Roland's sounds just a LITTLE more, so here I am. If I were to get an MODX for around the same price as Roland's FA series, I'd still be a happy camper.

We got it good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
In the case of the current crop it's more like 30years, and it will be strictly collectors and people trying to recreate "vintage" EDM with the "original" gear.
In that case they'll have to track down a laptop from the 2010s with a working copy of Ableton Live running, then... or maybe by 2049 you can generate it yourself in a hologram.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post

There are no dubious Roland products.

It’s that secret little “Condition” circuit; as the synths age, they end up sounding more and more analogue....

It’s kinda like cheese. If you want Limburger, it takes awhile.

I think it’s maybe jealousy.

Or maybe people afraid to move on to a lighter, more superficial existence, where everything is made of thin, translucent plastic, weighs next to nothing and is on the way to just becoming abstract digital code in outer space that only species from other planets accept as real.

Or, it’s residual disappointment that that grand, Theme Park Future the Japanese promised us in the West in the 80’s never came to pass. Now, we have to look to China, and some are, fooled once, shame on me.

Or, it’s just old people still trying to prove they can hear beyond 15kHz.

Or it’s the existential anxiety provoked by the empty spaces between the ones and zeroes that anything digital creates. Digital threatens our animal awareness of solidity, and Roland is king of digital, so we feel this anxiety when we think of them, or touch their products.

Or it’s just Phantom Limb Syndrome. One angry guy on Analogue Heaven in 1995 complained loudly and at length about some Roland thing he just bought, and that complaint amplified and resonated thru the decades and then eons, thanks to the power of the Internet. It eventually reached space aliens hostile to whining, who subsequently descended on our planet and ate us all up.

Or it’s just envy.

Or it’s people who hate redheads, whose hair is really orange, as are Roland Things.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Because Roland doesn't continuously pump out 101/303/808/909/Jupiter 8s year after year...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
all valid points. That be8ng said, I think I’ll get the xm. Its not the original but it’s 5 synths in One and I heard on one of the demos that it will be able to have more added? Not sure if that’s true or not. Itt should have been called a system 2. But none the less I’ll shamefully slutifyally buy one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think it's just the fact that they make crazy skit that is unusable until you play with it long enough to get something cool out of it. Except for some of the old rack modules I think all roland presets are created by deaf chimps
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search