The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Be careful with software updates...
Old 3 weeks ago
Be careful with software updates...

I got a message on my Mac that my Adobe Flash Player needed updating and when I chose to update the application it installed all kinds of malware on my machine. Thankfully the software program MalWare was able to remove all the offending software. It looked legit and this is the second time in two weeks that a program has done this, once on the Mac and the other on my Windows 10 machine. Just be careful.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Were you using the Flashplayer control panel or some random internet pop up?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Were you using the Flashplayer control panel or some random internet pop up?
It just appeared on my screen. I was not in the Flashplayer control panel. This is the way it normally appears on my Mac computer as a "pop up" when it is time to update so I did not think anything strange.

FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
It just appeared on my screen. I was not in the Flashplayer control panel. This is the way it normally appears on my Mac computer as a "pop up" when it is time to update so I did not think anything strange.

FWIW
Yeah, that's the problem with a lot of updates that just pop up. I find it's best to configure the Flashplayer control panel to not update, then update manually as needed. Or at minimum, to configure it to notify you and update is available, but only update through the control panel, not at a prompt pop up.
Old 3 weeks ago
To be honest -- and there was a time when I did some Flash developing -- Flash has been going downhill at least since Adobe bought Macromedia to get Flash and some other software tools they owned. As crucial as it was to getting the 'media interactive' web going, its time has come and, I would say, gone. Most things it did online can be done natively in modern HTML5 browsers with no plugins (and plugins/extensions can help extend contemporary browser functionality).

If you don't depend on it for a specific application or gotta-have web content, I would strongly recommend uninstalling it from both Windows and Mac platforms. And that's been the general net-safety recommendation on Flash for years now.

And, of course, be VERY careful about unexpected pop-ups and supposed 'warnings' -- these are still well-trafficked infection routes for malware, trying to scare people into installing 'fixes' that are actually malware funnels -- or signing up for 'services' or paying ransoms for supposed malware infestations (that may well in many cases be superficial tricks -- like when someone claiming to be from 'Microsoft security' cold calls your phone and claims you've been infected and directs you to a certain link or has you type a certain command line that he says 'reveals' how you've been compromised and have to pay $xxx to get it fixed).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Name @ theblue1 some malware funnels
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
Name @ theblue1 some malware funnels
Norton/Symantec:
Tech Support Scams Now Get Users to Install Potentially Unwanted Apps

How to recognize and avoid tech support scams

Microsoft:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft
How tech support scams work
Scammers may call you directly on your phone and pretend to be representatives of a software company. They might even spoof the caller ID so that it displays a legitimate support phone number from a trusted company. They can then ask you to install applications that give them remote access to your device. Using remote access, these experienced scammers can misrepresent normal system output as signs of problems.

Scammers might also initiate contact by displaying fake error messages on websites you visit, displaying support numbers and enticing you to call. They can also put your browser on full screen and display pop-up messages that won't go away, essentially locking your browser. These fake error messages aim to trick you into calling an indicated technical support hotline.

Important: Microsoft error and warning messages never include phone numbers.

When you engage with the scammers, they can offer fake solutions for your “problems” and ask for payment in the form of a one-time fee or subscription to a purported support service.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-support-scams

9 to 5 Mac:
Report: Exploit market ‘flooded’ with iOS vulnerabilities, driving down their value

Apple defends iOS security in new statement, takes issue with Google Project Zero findings

Google researchers detail malicious website exploits that targeted iPhone users for years
Old 3 weeks ago
I wasn’t aware flash was still a thing!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I wasn’t aware flash was still a thing!
Try to keep it that way!

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...sh-Player.html

Here is graphic testimony to the kind of job Adobe has been doing as steward of the Flash platform legacy...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search