The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kyra offtopic stuff ...
Old 28th July 2019
  #1
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Kyra offtopic stuff ...

I find it fascinating that in this day and age that companies like Waldorf just don’t communicate directly with the public and explain why their initial projected date is being missed. I think actual info is so much better than avoiding the topic. Most people will understand and be cool with waiting until it’s ready.
Old 28th July 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I find it fascinating that in this day and age that companies like Waldorf just don’t communicate directly with the public and explain why their initial projected date is being missed. I think actual info is so much better than avoiding the topic. Most people will understand and be cool with waiting until it’s ready.
Most people are cool with waiting until it's ready regardless
Old 28th July 2019
  #3
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Most people are cool with waiting until it's ready regardless
Right, but when you make an announcement you open a line of communication. When that communication stops it seems odd. It can’t help but effect consumer confidence. A simple, “we decided we wanted a few extra features that’ll really make this an amazing product and they’re worth the wait!” would be useful.
Old 29th July 2019
  #4
Gear Addict
 
LIFEPASS4's Avatar
 

The way some see it is like at the showing. the creator was out sitting in car down the road , meanwhile Waldorf flagged down some guy to mess around with Kyra and call it a Demo and left the building ,


In reality there probably really busy and Korg strengthening the ship and long chats around exchanging different ideas and the releases and slowly building old new blueprints towards a solid future ground . Waldorf nearly sunk . It will arrive beautifully .
Old 29th July 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Right, but when you make an announcement you open a line of communication. When that communication stops it seems odd. It can’t help but effect consumer confidence. A simple, “we decided we wanted a few extra features that’ll really make this an amazing product and they’re worth the wait!” would be useful.
The Quantum is selling just fine... and the Kyra will sell just fine too.

Talk is cheap and the words just don't matter. If the synth is good, people will buy it.
Old 29th July 2019
  #6
Gear Addict
 
LIFEPASS4's Avatar
 

I was gutted when EMU disappeared
Old 29th July 2019
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Right, but when you make an announcement you open a line of communication.
It wasn't Waldorf.

This guy gave the Kyra release date:

Old 24th August 2019
  #8
Gear Nut
 
mickey13's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
So, by Christmas...maybe?
Yeah, next year's Christmas seems like a fair estimation.
Old 24th August 2019
  #9
Gear Addict
 
LIFEPASS4's Avatar
 

Yes nice alright , hope is good , but im needing the Quantum more , the tone and dept capults me into that plane that I cant describe, if I get it then I can explain it
Old 25th August 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Most people are cool with waiting until it's ready regardless
im betting they are swamped with the Quantum.

they seem to be very pro active with development
and sorting out bug and warantee issues.

And i cant sing their praises on that side enough.
Old 25th August 2019
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I find it fascinating that in this day and age that companies like Waldorf just don’t communicate directly with the public and explain why their initial projected date is being missed. I think actual info is so much better than avoiding the topic. Most people will understand and be cool with waiting until it’s ready.
Dude, as they say, after doing the first 99%, you have to do the other 99%. What do you expect them to say, other than "it's going to ship later than we first expected" ?
Old 25th August 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
BobTheDog's Avatar
 

The last 10% of any project by far takes the longest.
Old 25th August 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
The last 10% of any project by far takes the longest.
This delay seems more on purpose by Waldorf,
or they are waiting for delivery of FPGAs or any other component.

The prototype was more or less finished.
Also, sometimes people suggest changes which are completely unnecessary.
Old 25th August 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
daviddever's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
The last 10% of any project by far takes the longest.
Don't you know it...!

This is part of the reason I do the last 10% of a project up front (testing setup, package signing, etc.), because it tends to be the most painful.
Old 25th August 2019
  #15
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmadbrain View Post
Dude, as they say, after doing the first 99%, you have to do the other 99%. What do you expect them to say, other than "it's going to ship later than we first expected" ?
Then do what Sequential/DSI does, and wait until you have boxes of finished units in a warehouse and then announce the ship date. You see the release demos and have the instrument in a week or two. No one gets mad at that.
Old 25th August 2019
  #16
Gear Nut
 
mickey13's Avatar
 

I'm not even mad at guys at Waldorf and wish them all the best, but the way they release their products is somewhat problematic to say the least.
Old 25th August 2019
  #17
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 View Post
I'm not even mad at guys at Waldorf and wish them all the best, but the way they release their products is somewhat problematic to say the least.
Yeah, I’m the same. I’m not mad at anyone, but I see the same companies doing the same things over and over again like they never learn.
Old 28th August 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Then do what Sequential/DSI does, and wait until you have boxes of finished units in a warehouse and then announce the ship date. You see the release demos and have the instrument in a week or two. No one gets mad at that.
haha thats a joke right?
using seq/dsi as an example.
the tempest went over 3 yrs before it was relatively bug free and that only happened cause they were forced to
and lets not forget the "not our prob" hand off to 8dio with the sample import PX carbuncle.

people get mad at unfulfilled os'es far far more than an unannounced delayed release.
Old 28th August 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspace View Post
Uh oh!
Am I reading correctly here?
https://www.andertons.co.uk/waldorf-...e-synth-module

"a fully class-compliant USB 2 implementation for MIDI, and a stereo 24-bit/96kHz audio stream for each of its eight parts."

So can I hope for precious unconverted 24/96kHz audio into my PC with a (future) editor?
Because I see a comma in there...
This is the long waited Virus 2 upgrade after all, is it?
That stuff was certainly listed in the spec earlier in 2019:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...ynthplex-2019/

Quote:
stereo 24-bit/96kHz audio stream for each of its eight parts.

USB (Universal Serial Bus) audio return feature, so Kyra can render final DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) audio under ASIO (Audio Stream Input/Output)
No reason to assume use of editor/plugin to do this though, it will probably show up as a standard audio interface and be used accordingly.
Old 28th August 2019
  #20
Here for the gear
 
Nspace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
No reason to assume use of editor/plugin to do this though, it will probably show up as a standard audio interface and be used accordingly.
With the proper USB connectivity, there is at least the possibility of a later user-created Grauw style of sound editor.
Old 28th August 2019
  #21
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
haha thats a joke right?
using seq/dsi as an example.
the tempest went over 3 yrs before it was relatively bug free and that only happened cause they were forced to
and lets not forget the "not our prob" hand off to 8dio with the sample import PX carbuncle.

people get mad at unfulfilled os'es far far more than an unannounced delayed release.
Oh yeah, and we all know that Waldorf Synths enter the shops rock solid and bug free!
Old 29th August 2019
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Oh yeah, and we all know that Waldorf Synths enter the shops rock solid and bug free!
Well i got Waldorf Pulse+, XT and Q and they all work good so far. Also got Microwave I rev A. And no bugs whatsoever. No. Not even flaky paint. Because there is no paint on it. It is anodized finish.

Oh i almost forgot!! Silly me! Waldorf gots me a Quantum. And as much as it might surprise you it is bug free.

However...

There's a word on a street, that it was in fact, none other than Tuck Buckford who came with this idea and a whole conspiracy theory that Waldorf only releases buggy synths. Yes ladies and gentleman, it was Tuck Buckford once again swindling the masses to rage against the Waldorf.
Old 29th August 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
I'm pretty sure in a complex system such as Quantum there are bound to be bugs. One thing is not stumbling upon them, the other is claiming there are none. There's no such thing as bug-free software

XTk has the aftertouch bug that was never fixed, for example. And we all know about Blofeld bugs that never got fixed and likely never will.
Old 29th August 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Well i got Waldorf Pulse+, XT and Q and they all work good so far. Also got Microwave I rev A. And no bugs whatsoever. No. Not even flaky paint. Because there is no paint on it. It is anodized finish.

Oh i almost forgot!! Silly me! Waldorf gots me a Quantum. And as much as it might surprise you it is bug free.

...
That is surprising! Not sure who to believe though... I mean, I see that you do sound design for Waldorf and own several of their synths but Zerocrossing has potentially never even owned a synth from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
... And we all know about Blofeld bugs that never got fixed and likely never will.
Bugs or features?
Old 29th August 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Bugs.

Blofeld, my problem child

Was never fixed.
Old 29th August 2019
  #26
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Well i got Waldorf Pulse+, XT and Q and they all work good so far. Also got Microwave I rev A. And no bugs whatsoever. No. Not even flaky paint. Because there is no paint on it. It is anodized finish.

Oh i almost forgot!! Silly me! Waldorf gots me a Quantum. And as much as it might surprise you it is bug free.

However...

There's a word on a street, that it was in fact, none other than Tuck Buckford who came with this idea and a whole conspiracy theory that Waldorf only releases buggy synths. Yes ladies and gentleman, it was Tuck Buckford once again swindling the masses to rage against the Waldorf.
Oh, I’m sure you have Waldorf synths that “work good so far” but my point wasn’t that Waldorf was particularly bad about releasing buggy synths, but that pointing a finger at DSI/Sequential as if they’re the worst offenders, and Waldorf is without fault, is ridiculous.

My point, which I think is sound, is that modern synths that have digital components that use operating systems, most likely have bugs, regardless as to who’s producing them, so using that as an argument against DSI is unfair. I didn’t actually bring this point up. It was in reaction to me stating that I liked the fact that Dave doesn’t release a lot of ship-date promises that he then breaks because, we all know, sh!t happens. When it’s ready to ship, they announce. I like that. That’s my only point. I don’t see any benefit in trying to predict a ship date when you’re still deep in development.
Old 29th August 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Bugs.

Blofeld, my problem child

Was never fixed.

Hard to imagine how you'd get that sound without this "feature"
Old 29th August 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Very simple, by using modifiers.
Old 29th August 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Oh, I’m sure you have Waldorf synths that “work good so far” but my point wasn’t that Waldorf was particularly bad about releasing buggy synths, but that pointing a finger at DSI/Sequential as if they’re the worst offenders, and Waldorf is without fault, is ridiculous.

My point, which I think is sound, is that modern synths that have digital components that use operating systems, most likely have bugs, regardless as to who’s producing them, so using that as an argument against DSI is unfair.
I have (so far) never bought a DSI instrument... so no experience there.

The Waldorf Quantum has had a few bugs along the way, but it feels solid (software wise) and has not been any sort of problem since day 1. It feels bug free in use.

When I purchased the Moog One, it was very buggy... to the point of being unusable for me.

So while it is inevitable with complex software that there are some bugs, there can be a huge difference from one situation to another.

The Quantum has been the best experience I have had with any hardware company as far as updating, ongoing development, and the company listening to the users. There was the initial long delay of getting the Quantum out, but since I received mine, Waldorf has been outstanding!
Old 29th August 2019
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Oh, I’m sure you have Waldorf synths that “work good so far” but my point wasn’t that Waldorf was particularly bad about releasing buggy synths, but that pointing a finger at DSI/Sequential as if they’re the worst offenders, and Waldorf is without fault, is ridiculous.
We all know for a decade old problem with the LFO sync on the Blofeld, that's probably in history books by now. But based on that one unfortunate instance you can not categorically claim that Waldorf is known to release synths on the market that are filled up with bugs.

Because for this day and age, you will have to be more specific.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump