The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kyra offtopic stuff ...
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
I'd guess that the starting point was a specific price... and that is what led to the 7 knobs.
Well, i think it's not specifically about the 7 knobs actually. I think its more about stubbornly clinging to UI concepts when they only do half a job, then shoehorning more UI which then also does half a job, in the hopes that together the two half-assed UI's will give enough 'surface' to work against.
The reference to the 7 knobs is more about showing one of the things that can go wrong with UI design, specifically, clinging on to something from early in the design that later on makes for limitations. In that respect you could argue that Waldorf could have used the available knobs and buttons in better and more consistent ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
The Blofeld is a walk in the park compared to the Pulse 2. That' s the real face-palmer....
Ouch. Is it really that bad? How does it compare to the original Pulse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Yeah, that does sound bad. My 002r feels like that too. Being a UX/UI designer, I’ve been on the inside of such messes,
Heh, yeah, i feel for you. There often is a schism between the UI as intended by the designer and how it turns out to work in practice.

Anyway, i guess this is all off-topic so i don't want to whine about it too much.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Ouch. Is it really that bad? How does it compare to the original Pulse?
I don' t know, I never used the original. Apparently the Pulse 2 was done by a different team than the Blofeld, so even though it looks like it would have the same UI, when you go to use it you quickly realise it is nowhere near as well thought through. In fact it seems they didn't give it much thought at all.

SonicState's review touches on this. The display is mostly uselessly taken up by the patch number in a HUGE font and it returns to that after you make an edit, instead of staying where you were.... it doesn't even remember where you were, so if you , for example, edit filter envelope mod depth, the display will go back to showing the patch number after a few seconds, and if you enter the filter menu again, it does not go back to envelope mod depth. Editing sounds on it is almost as bad as 90s digital sytnhs with a tiny screen and only one encoder.... Waldorf have had a lot of time (and plenty of requests) to fix this and I can't see why it shouldn't be possible, but apparently it's good enough for them. I sold mine less than a year after buying it as the sound didn't justify having to put up with the UI.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
Yamaha are asking buyers what they may like to see , I think it is a good thing
Well, Yamaha has been asking people their opinion(s) for decades, but seldom listens to what they say.

I've been invited to several user forums to give input, and watched Yamaha ignore ... every ... single ... comment ... from qualified, clued-in people.

What they seem to want to do, is convince these groups that what they've already decided to do is groundbreaking and wonderful. They aren't looking for input so much as trying to mine positive feedback.

I've been on a couple of conference calls where every single user on the call tells them NOT to do something they bring up. Rather than say "thanks for the input", some marketing flak gets on the call and "Yamaha 'splains" to everyone what a great idea it is and how "all the research says this is what people want".

The MODX really surprised me, since it seemed to really include a lot of ideas from the user groups. There is hope.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

To be fair, I’ve always said that success is built around listening to customers but resisting the temptation to obey them. People rarely know what they would actually find compelling. They’re just great sources of information about what gaps they see and pain they feel. Henry Ford famously said that if he’d asked customers what they wanted they’d have asked for a faster horse.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
Well, Yamaha has been asking people their opinion(s) for decades, but seldom listens to what they say.

I've been invited to several user forums to give input, and watched Yamaha ignore ... every ... single ... comment ... from qualified, clued-in people.

What they seem to want to do, is convince these groups that what they've already decided to do is groundbreaking and wonderful. They aren't looking for input so much as trying to mine positive feedback.

I've been on a couple of conference calls where every single user on the call tells them NOT to do something they bring up. Rather than say "thanks for the input", some marketing flak gets on the call and "Yamaha 'splains" to everyone what a great idea it is and how "all the research says this is what people want".

The MODX really surprised me, since it seemed to really include a lot of ideas from the user groups. There is hope.
I can see what you mean ,Yes the MODX is interesting , I don't bother checking the Ideas site anymore , it was like throwing wishes into a fountain and watching cobwebs form and I had to withdraw , hope they do arrive with fresh new ideas
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Henry Ford famously said that if he’d asked customers what they wanted they’d have asked for a faster horse.
As it turns out, the car was a terrible idea and we'd be much better off with horses. Someone with the name Gaia should know that...
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
As it turns out, the car was a terrible idea and we'd be much better off with horses. Someone with the name Gaia should know that...
It’s true, there are lots of reasons why my vehicles are electric. Even there, though, getting people to adopt a new technology requires an understanding of what they value and delivering something that meets those needs while sparking desire. Product development is, it turns out, hard and sometimes unpredictable work!
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, we'd be sooooo much better off, ankle-deep in horse [email protected], as was common in major cities prior to the invention of the automobile.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Horses for courses. Yamaha says you can have any color you want, as long as it's black. For Kyra, I'd assume that well-modelled filters are essential for a new HW VA in 2019, but you know what they say about assuming.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, we'd be sooooo much better off, ankle-deep in horse [email protected], as was common in major cities prior to the invention of the automobile.
All technologies have pluses and minuses. I once remember someone doing a calculation of how much the food would cost to fuel a human to walk to work an average amount each day. How much that food would cost, and the environmental costs of farming all that food. It’s easy to see why petroleum got popular. Of course, unintended consequences created suburban sprawl, an exploding population, pollution, etc. We all know the deal. Petroleum is only cheap if you don’t consider the cost of the problems it makes down the line, and, of course, the companies that make money from it are not on the hook to fix those problems.

The silly thing is, we have the technology to fix all of it, but not the political will. I fully believe that if everyone had access to free birth control and the right to use it, most of our problems would be solved in a couple of decades. There are just plain and simply too many of us on this planet. Our environment isn’t capable of sustaining our numbers with a modern life style... probably not even with an ancient life style. So couple reproductive rights for all with sustainable energy for most of our needs, sure we can still fly a jet to Disneyworld for vacation and the world will endure. You might even be able to own a horse or two. Word on the street is, their poop is excellent organic fertilizer.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Horses for courses. Yamaha says you can have any color you want, as long as it's black. For Kyra, I'd assume that well-modelled filters are essential for a new HW VA in 2019, but you know what they say about assuming.
I think it’s sort of silly to cut down Yamaha for being Yamaha. My guess is, they are doing fine for themselves. We’re just not their target audience. I’ve worked in a number of retail music stores, and I can tell you that for every “cool” synth we sold, we sold 30 PSRs. For every cool experimental or even original pop music artist we had come in, we’d have way more people doing worship, school band and wedding/cover band type things. I’m sure now you can add DJ gear to that.

Anyway, Roland and Korg like to keep a little bit if a toehold in our world, probably more for street cred than helping their bottom line. It probably hurts them more than it helps. Even your black “Ford” will have to be a truck or a Mustang, because they’re just focusing on what does best for them.

Luckily, we have people willing to make the Kyras of the world. Small companies that are probably happy to just pay their employees and have some profit in the bank at the end of the year... enough to fuel some more R&D to make another generation of cool gear. These types of companies complement companies like Yamaha more than they compete with them.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyway, Roland and Korg like to keep a little bit if a toehold in our world, probably more for street cred than helping their bottom line.
Good R&D makes it into the bottom line stuff to make money. Bad R&D gets dropped. My guess the "out world" stuff is pretty much a push on their balance sheets.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindin View Post
so is the Kyra going to be more versatile than the Hydrasynth?
Hydrasynth is more sonically flexible... Online demos of both have me tentatively thinking I like the sound of Kyra just a bit more... but it is the 8 parts and endless polyphony that makes it interesting...
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
...The silly thing is, we have the technology to fix all of it, but not the political will. I fully believe that if everyone had access to free birth control and the right to use it, most of our problems would be solved in a couple of decades. ...
You won't even need it to be free. As poverty becomes less of an issue, people tend to have fewer children. Europe is at a net negative population growth, excepting immigration. The immigrant population tends to have fewer children than they would have in their countries of origin. It's much the same in the US, except we are still higher than replacement-rate.

The best estimate I've seen is that world population with likely peak at no more than 10-11 billion sometime this century. That's completely sustainable at first-world levels of consumption, using modern methods of agriculture. Some predictions hold that the population will contract over the 22nd century until we get to about 6 billion ... less than it is today.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
global warming would be less of a problem
Actually it would be worse. Horses create more greenhouse gasses per unit of work than modern automobiles.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Addict

Groundhog Day , Hehe! that was great
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
so is the Kyra going to be more versatile than the Hydrasynth?
S.H.I.E.L.D. can take down Hydra.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Lobbying aside, the freedom and independence of personal and privately owned vehicles will always and forever be better than any other option.

And I like mass transit fine, but as a supplement.

Can't carry a bunch of gear with you, can't leave things in your vehicle, can't go anywhere anytime without having to worry about schedules, and 1000 other perfectly valid use cases.
Old 9th September 2019
Deleted 998abe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Lobbying aside, the freedom and independence of personal and privately owned vehicles will always and forever be better than any other option.

And I like mass transit fine, but as a supplement.

Can't carry a bunch of gear with you, can't leave things in your vehicle, can't go anywhere anytime without having to worry about schedules, and 1000 other perfectly valid use cases.
The problem is balancing individual freedom and mass freedom.

We have already reached the conclusion that our consumption pattern as it is should be adjusted to a significant lower level in order to relieve the pressure on the environment.

Are we willing to abandon privately owned vehicles, meat consumption, etc?
Old 9th September 2019
Deleted 998abe3
Quote:
All technologies have pluses and minuses. I once remember someone doing a calculation of how much the food would cost to fuel a human to walk to work an average amount each day. How much that food would cost, and the environmental costs of farming all that food. It’s easy to see why petroleum got popular. Of course, unintended consequences created suburban sprawl, an exploding population, pollution, etc. We all know the deal. Petroleum is only cheap if you don’t consider the cost of the problems it makes down the line, and, of course, the companies that make money from it are not on the hook to fix those problems.

The silly thing is, we have the technology to fix all of it, but not the political will. I fully believe that if everyone had access to free birth control and the right to use it, most of our problems would be solved in a couple of decades. There are just plain and simply too many of us on this planet. Our environment isn’t capable of sustaining our numbers with a modern life style... probably not even with an ancient life style. So couple reproductive rights for all with sustainable energy for most of our needs, sure we can still fly a jet to Disneyworld for vacation and the world will endure. You might even be able to own a horse or two. Word on the street is, their poop is excellent organic fertilizer.
Totally agree. I'd just consider two things.

That may be meaningful if we think in a generalized way, but maybe it isn't if we think in how much that would affect the different specific groups of people. There are poor populations in which the families consumption level doesn't change that much if they had one less child.

And I'd say maybe that supposed population vs. world consumption curve has different levels. While in certain levels less people would result in more more resources availability, in other levels I think it wouldn't change that much because people would consume what they have available, or because there wouldn't be a as strong public consciousness as we have.

But I don't know any of those things for sure. They are just maybes.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guictr View Post
Are we willing to abandon privately owned vehicles, meat consumption, etc?
Not even for a second.

Suxh approaches are a fools errand, no more likely than you and I sprouting wings. Bank on it.

And every moment spent on such foolish notions is a wasted moment not spent finding actually viable and possible solutions.

Want to actually help? Quit engaging in such delusional fantasy, Humans are, have always been, and will always be, mear eaters, most of them anyway, and any idea that seeks to reduxe individual liberty will always meet vicious push back, and rightfully so. The only possible, tenable, solution MUST accommodate both sets of needs.

Anything else is a complete non-starter.

And any beliefs to the contrary are fantasy, at best.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
Yamaha are asking buyers what they may like to see , I think it is a good thing
Asking? Yes.

Listening? We shall see..
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
You won't even need it to be free. As poverty becomes less of an issue, people tend to have fewer children. Europe is at a net negative population growth, excepting immigration. The immigrant population tends to have fewer children than they would have in their countries of origin. It's much the same in the US, except we are still higher than replacement-rate.

The best estimate I've seen is that world population with likely peak at no more than 10-11 billion sometime this century. That's completely sustainable at first-world levels of consumption, using modern methods of agriculture. Some predictions hold that the population will contract over the 22nd century until we get to about 6 billion ... less than it is today.
I say free because I seem to hear a lot of news reports that highlight the plight of someone in a 3rd world country and they almost always have a phrase like, “after her husband was conscripted by a local warlord, she had no way to feed her 8 children.” 8 children! We’re financially sound and it boggles my mind considering what raising 8 children would be like. I highly doubt there’s a woman in an impoverished place that is psyched to have 8 children. Having access to free birth control would be important in these places (The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is working on this). I suspect, that religious issue make birth control taboo as well, so that’s a problem that I have no idea how to fix. I personally find that most religions ultimately hurt more than they help. My grandmother describes leaving her church after she confessed to using birth control and having the priest use her friends to shame her into stopping.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I highly doubt there’s a woman in an impoverished place that is psyched to have 8 children.
You too would be psyched for having lots of kids if 80% of your offspring would die before reaching maturity. Having many children is a survival strategy.
Another factor is that modern western people think mostly about themselves and kids just get in the way of the self.
So basically we with our modern western world in which we think 2 kids is enough are the exception to millions of years of having more than 2 kids. And that is why our population is dropping (because even here not all of those 2 kids survive to procreate.)

So basically you're reasoning from a position of self-obsolescence when you're criticizing people who have many kids. It's you who's doing it wrong. (and by 'you' of course i mean generally 'us' in the west.)

Quote:
Having access to free birth control would be important in these places (The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is working on this).
If this is not paired with a much better survival rate for kids this will lead to a devastating blow to the population numbers.

The statistics show that once there is enough development in a society kids rate drops automatically. We see that immigrants from countries where people have many children, once settled here in the west, produce less children.

So it's a bull**** solution. Bill can go suck Melinda's fat cock. Their foundation is mostly constructed for getting tax breaks anyway.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
You too would be psyched for having lots of kids if 80% of your offspring would die before reaching maturity. Having many children is a survival strategy.
Another factor is that modern western people think mostly about themselves and kids just get in the way of the self.
So basically we with our modern western world in which we think 2 kids is enough are the exception to millions of years of having more than 2 kids. And that is why our population is dropping (because even here not all of those 2 kids survive to procreate.)

So basically you're reasoning from a position of self-obsolescence when you're criticizing people who have many kids. It's you who's doing it wrong. (and by 'you' of course i mean generally 'us' in the west.)

If this is not paired with a much better survival rate for kids this will lead to a devastating blow to the population numbers.

The statistics show that once there is enough development in a society kids rate drops automatically. We see that immigrants from countries where people have many children, once settled here in the west, produce less children.

So it's a bull**** solution. Bill can go suck Melinda's fat cock. Their foundation is mostly constructed for getting tax breaks anyway.
That only makes sense if you don’t consider that fewer children per mother means more resources per child. Being able to devote more resources per child automatically means a higher chance of survival, and if you’re not below the poverty line, a higher chance to thrive and an overall highly quality of life. For instance, I’m not advocating the single child style that we took, but it’s sure nice to be able to put her in a private school and do thing like go for VIP passes as Universal Studios. If we had 8 kids, they’d be all at already overburdened public schools (not even an option in many parts of the world) and we’d probably be spending so much on food and clothes that a nice summer trip would probably be out of the question. It sure was for my family of 3 kids when I grew up.

I can’t believe I’m having to argue for reproductive rights, but here we are. I’m always puzzled by the “sh1t’s broken, but don’t you dare change it!” stance.
Old 9th September 2019
Deleted 998abe3
Quote:
Not even for a second.

Suxh approaches are a fools errand, no more likely than you and I sprouting wings. Bank on it.

And every moment spent on such foolish notions is a wasted moment not spent finding actually viable and possible solutions.

Want to actually help? Quit engaging in such delusional fantasy, Humans are, have always been, and will always be, mear eaters, most of them anyway, and any idea that seeks to reduxe individual liberty will always meet vicious push back, and rightfully so. The only possible, tenable, solution MUST accommodate both sets of needs.

It's funny because you say that reason and intellectual prowess will lead us to the solution of every problem and the plain existence, but that same reason is irrelevant in front of the simple impulse of eating meat. And I strongly disagree with that.

In fact, that has not been the truth for many thousand years. We don't eat just according to our "nature". We worry about getting fat, about proteins and vitamins, about social acceptance and aesthetic standards. We abandon complete freedom and let ourselves be governed to feel safe. Because for many thousand years we haven't been just obeying nature. We have been creating culture, shaping our habits. Not because we had too, but because we wanted. Eating meat is just another habit.

And is it so hard to not think just about ourselves? Not saying "I can because I want"? What about the rest of the word? What if we suddenly realize that we don't have time to develop ways of saving the environment and other people lives of the consequences that our self entitlement has caused?

One more thing: just because you disagree with something you don't have to call it "fools errand" or "delusional fantasy".
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not even for a second.

While I do agree with this, I feel that meat in America has become artificially low due to government subsidies. While politicians scream for elimination of welfare, we make corn crazy cheap. We force feed it to cows, who gain weight super fast on it, but since they don’t have digestive tracts designed for it, have to be fed antibiotics perpetually. Also, sugar via corn syrup, becomes super cheap and ends up in high quantities in everything. If the companies benefiting from these subsidies had to pay for increased healthcare costs that result from high sugar and animal fat diets, the higher cost would curb most people’s consumption to more reasonable levels.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That only makes sense if you don’t consider that fewer children per mother means more resources per child.
Children in those countries actually work/help out for most of their childhood. They help getting more resources.

Quote:
For instance, I’m not advocating the single child style that we took, but it’s sure nice to be able to put her in a private school and do thing like go for VIP passes as Universal Studios.
Yeah, but you're not a poor farmer in a 3rd world country are you.

Quote:
that a nice summer trip would probably be out of the question.
Yeah, again, people don't go on nice summer trips in 3rd world countries. They have 8 frikking babies because most of them will die. Not just from hunger but also from disease, war, wild animals, etc. Not sure the penny dropped on understanding the realities of that situation.

So, while child reduction works wonders here in the west it is hardly a good solution for 3rd world countries.

Last edited by monomer; 10th September 2019 at 12:07 AM..
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Quote:
That only makes sense if you don’t consider that fewer children per mother means more resources per child.
Children in those countries actually work/help out for most of their childhood. They help getting more resources.

Yeah, but you're not a poor farmer in a 3rd world country are you.

Yeah, again, people don't go on nice summer trips in 3rd world countries. They have 8 frikking babies because most of them will die. Not just from hunger but also from disease, war, wild animals, etc. Not sure the penny dropped on understanding the realities of that situation.

So, while child reduction works wonders here in the west it is hardly a good solution for 3rd world countries.
I totally disagree. While I understand the reality of child mortality, I’m confused as to how you think an infant can “help” with anything. So, if you’re having a child every year, you’re probably going to hit at least 5 kids before one of those kids can provide some help. That leaves 4 kids who are still demanding resources.

I’m not advocating for forced sterilization, here. I’m just saying that making sure women have control over their own reproduction is important. This means access to birth control and laws to insure their rights to use it. Education is crucial as well. I’m not saying this is a single antidote to all problems, but combined with reasonable economic plans it can help a lot.

I’m finding it weird that you think that reproductive rights are things that only western cultures should have.
Old 9th September 2019
Looking above after posting this below, I see the topic of conversation has drifted offsides.

So I hope I can be pardoned for responding to the original topic...

Quote:
Right, but when you make an announcement you open a line of communication. When that communication stops it seems odd. It can’t help but effect consumer confidence. A simple, “we decided we wanted a few extra features that’ll really make this an amazing product and they’re worth the wait!” would be useful.
Circa 1995, I was looking for an ADAT i/o card to interface my (then single) ADAT with my computer. Korg had announced a product. But they made it all but impossible to get info on it. They didn't have a website. I tried multiple times to get through via phone. I seem to recall they had an email address, but didn't respond to email requests for info.

So the next year (or maybe late that) at NAMM, I drifted past the Korg booth where I got no info on the vaporous i/o adapter. But over at the Frontier Design booth, they had working prototypes, prices, a delivery schedule (which, IIRC, they kept). I think one other smallish company (Aardvark?) was about to field one, as well, but I think it was still in the mist.

Anyhow, I bought a Frontier. I'd been doing two-track nonlinear audio editing on my machine for radio doc production for a while -- but the demands of running a multichannel native DAW in then-new Windows 95 were daunting. I contacted Frontier for info on optimizing my setup -- they had a few whitepaper type write-ups on optimization issues that were very helpful, but what really won me over was the main guy at the small company answering my emails personally, explaining a couple of fine points, and pointing me to their own write-ups as well as some other third party info.

Eventually that Korg i/o card DID come out but I never talked to anyone who bought one and I don't think it made much impact. Frontier went on to hook up with a large, popular recording device maker (doesn't rhyme with TEAC but... ahem) and so drifted out of my sphere, but I will always have a soft spot for them and that first i/o card. It wasn't cheap -- but it was out there ahead of the pack and the company went the extra 9 yards to support it and keep us early customers happy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search