The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone ever feel like calling it a day and packing it all in?
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone ever feel like calling it a day and packing it all in?

Sometimes I think I would be much happier if I just gave up music altogether.

At times it feels like a curse being a musician...
Old 4th September 2019
Sometimes it's best to take a long break and return once the calm and inspiration returns.

Old 5th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post

Yes but then I get to work on something I really enjoy and all those negative thoughts go away. BE HAPPY!!! and watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU (by the way a GREAT person to work with)
Old 11th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

Here's the thing - and of course it's hard to think differently when taken in by a strong mood, but- feelings change. I have bad days and sometimes weeks, where almost everything about my studio annoys me. Literally, things sound worse, everything seems disorganized, I get annoyed at my staff...

But things pass, I feel better, things look up, and most importantly, I get to work on something I love.

Basically, what I want to say is, we get fed by the the things we love. But it is always a balance. If we are going through a period where the things we love to do don't give us as much as the negatives of our chosen profession (ie. hard to get work, lack of money, difficult clients/colleagues), etc... then quickly we start to feel depleted.

I guess, if this is chronic enough, then it makes sense to think about what it is your spending your time doing. A wise friend who has been in the studio industry for 50 years and is now calling it a day told me 'the most valuable thing we have is our time, honor yourself by honoring your time'.

If it gets to the point where you feel like your time could be used in other ways, and you long for a change -- that's a pretty strong sign. Otherwise, if things are just tough, and you still have a fire for music, and being involved in it, well, your just like us, and many of us have stuck it out long past what has made sense financially for years.

my 2 cents and a ramble

-Neil
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

yes, I did that once. sold everything and packed it in

regretted it

glad I started playing & recording again
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Those are the days you do cable management and anything to improve your setup.

... and maybe some videogames, even...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Sometimes it's best to take a long break and return once the calm and inspiration returns.

Oh oh, I have to edit what I said. Not long ago I looked up Wikipedia on Buddha and maybe it was vandalized at the time, because it said Buddha died angry with a heart attack because someone stiffed him on a bowl of rice he wanted.

So last night I did some sleuthing and find that's not known to be the case.
Sorry about that!

-update- @ NEXUS-6, sure there are times I wonder if I made the right decision putting my eggs in this basket. But downer times can be extremely useful more than any other time for some tasks. Like listening to music you made that doesn't work as well now, copy it somewhere safe and get it out of your sight. If your music works for you when you're down, you're definitely on to something. But that's in my case, I can't really say that will work for you, especially if it's melancholy music that's supposed to be down. In that case, it worked, so that was win-win .

I hope brainstorming this out us in any way good; because if you weren't asking then I might have. I have a move coming up and I'm wondering if I should have collected all this stuff, and I don't know! But I held out for a while because certain apps weren't up to the job and now they are and starting off fresh might be priceless vacation/therapy at least for me.

Last edited by JoeyM; 4 weeks ago at 06:59 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search