The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Elektron Overbridge 2 - eternal public beta?
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Addict

Elektron Overbridge 2 - eternal public beta?

Elektron has successfully fooled me into buying my Analog Rytm 2 back then, by massive fake advertising of Overbridge 2 as availabe February 2018, and making that fake claim still as late as January 2018. I simply couldn't imagine, that they would make a fake claim so short before release, and made the massive mistake to believe them. Else I wouldn't have bought an unfinished product, and I normally don't. Lesson learned: there are not remotely trustworthy companies out there, which behave more irresponsible, than I could dream of. :-)

1 1/2 years later I'm still waiting for the delivery of my paid part of the (then even more) expensive product as advertised.

Since January 2019 Elektron Overbridge 2 is in public beta mode, more than half a year now. After experiencing and finally understanding the low business ethics of the present Elektron company management, my acceptance to beta test Overbridge 2 is exactly at zero. I just want what I paid for, not more and not less. I guess that's not asking too much, one and a half year after payment.

Now I would like to know, if their impertinence goes as far, as having their software running in beta mode for half an eternity: just to go on avoiding any responsibility for their finsihed product (working halfway as it should).

I have not heard of any Elektron statement to finally deliver, what's insanely overdue meanwhile. Has anyone else?
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

Underbridge. Maybe one day people will see Elektron for what they are... sophisticated scammers selling polished turds.

Many fans aren't aware that up to 49% of Elektron is owned by a big faceless investments group....

Try posting in their forum, they love it.

They should be bought up by Behringer, that would be a fitting conclusion :D
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, they Over-promised (no pun) and no, it's unlikely Overbridge is going to be stable in the next 2 years.

That's why I never buy a device on the promise of a future update, I buy a device for what it is at release.

I didn't buy a SP16 despite the crazy hype on this forum, nor an AKAI Force despise the same hype going on around it, because I wasn't satisfied with the specs at release. I think it's a good principle, no bad surprises, there is no urgency to buy anything, unless one wants to boast about their shiny new toy on reddit/gearslutz or youtube, especially when gears usually costs the most at release.
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

What feature are you missing in the beta?
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

at least you got TRS indiouts

and at least resale value of elektron instruments is stable, you should be able to get most of your money back. You did leave the screen protector on, right?
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

What’s the matter, did your other three threads on this topic get closed? I’ll call the wha-mbulance, it should be along shortly.

You bought the Rytm Mk2 (without doing your research) and didn’t get what you wanted out of it. Is there a reason you can’t just sell and move on? At some point, I’d have to think that would be more productive than endlessly complaining on this forum. Even if Overbridge isn’t 100%, it’s still an analog drum machine with sampling and effects per channel. If you aren’t able to make tunes with the Rytm, sell it to someone who can, and use the proceeds to buy something you can make music with.
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks for most of you understanding the point.
What I want now is seeing a finished product and use it - not too much after 1 1/2 years, is it?
Any delivery on the horizon??? Has any of the beta testers heard anything about a release date?

- I won't use the beta, because I am not willing to beta-test one minute for this lousy company, after all this fuss. I have done quite a bit of betatesting for serious companies in the past, but why should I do it for a bunch of irresponsible ignorants?

- Of course I use the device, after having paid so much for it - just not remotely in the way it was intended and advertised. It's basically a nice standalone machine, with a lot of useful functionality, under the hood of a somewhat weird Fred Feuerstein stone age MS DOS UI. That would be ok for me (I knew it before the buy), using it as soon as I got my head around it's wildly idiosyncratic structure (2-3 weeks basic time investment to get going), IF a finalised Overbridge version would finally help doing the recording job.

- Price and value: I paid nearly 1700€ back then. To record single outs, it was necessary to buy and connect a Focusrite Octopre MKII (another 400€) to my Motu Soundcard (where all but two inputs are used by synths and mikes). Total investment: 2100€, with no Overbridge functionality. Selling it used now would cost me some hundred bucks, instead of FINALLY getting my paid product going. So I prefer to keep it until they finally deliver a finished product - just in case they prove to be are able and willing to do that within my lifetime A public reminder every half year or so, that's probably not too much facing such a company, is it?

@ camus2
completely agree with you: I just couldn't really believe, that a serious company would advertise something heavily on release, one month before outing it as pure vaporware AFTER the first massive buying wave. But meanwhile I have learnt, that for some company managements no behavior is too dirty to become reality. Won't happen again to me, ever.

So none of you has perceived any sign of life from Elektron, after half a year of public beta, that they might finally get their job done before winter comes?
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknopf View Post
So I prefer to keep it until they finally deliver a finished product
Keep it then :-)
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

Overbridge 2 “beta” works great, is fully featured and is a supremely useful way to integrate the various Elektron devices with your DAW.

What do you care if it’s called a beta or not? It works... use it and be merry.
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Addict

@ apessino
is it reliable and tight enough in DAW sync?
I only use this one device with it, no other Elektron gear involved.

If yes, I might give it a try.
But why then don't they finally release it?
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ apessino
is it reliable and tight enough in DAW sync?
I only use this one device with it, no other Elektron gear involved.

If yes, I might give it a try.
But why then don't they finally release it?
It is sample-accurate and has been 100% reliable with both my Digitakt and Analog Heat MkII, to the point I have removed ALL analog I/O from them and have both connected with just a USB cable. Saved me a whole lot of inputs and outputs on my FireFace and mixer, tell you that - it is especially awesome on Windows where you don’t have the ability to use multiple audio devices simultaneously. Integration with Cubase is a freaking dream - the Heat is a send effect and the digitakt is a VSTi, with mint audio streaming. I can’t speak for devices I don’t have (especially older ones), but it has been flawless for me for several months now, and it is quite an exciting bit of tech.

As to why they have not taken it out of beta yet, I don’t know... don’t really care at this point.
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Addict

Worked perfect on digitone. I didn’t gel with the sound so I sold it, but loved the workflow. I have fm now in the modx and will be buying a digitakt or octatrack sometime in the next 6 months I’ve decided. Want the sample mangling, drums, and workflow.
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

I recently used the beta to track out 10 separate tracks over USB. Syncing to a changing tempo map in Logic. Used song mode on the Rytm mkII (I.e. I didn’t send PCs). Was nice to alter the arrangement and alter the tempo and just work with the drum machine alongside the DAW. Didn’t use the VST plugin part, just used it as an audio interface.

Give it a go. You might be surprised.

Even if it isn’t perfect and it says beta on it, the tracks over USB are a good utility to have.
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for most of you understanding the point.
What I want now is seeing a finished product and use it - not too much after 1 1/2 years, is it?
Any delivery on the horizon??? Has any of the beta testers heard anything about a release date?

- I won't use the beta, because I am not willing to beta-test one minute for this lousy company, after all this fuss. I have done quite a bit of betatesting for serious companies in the past, but why should I do it for a bunch of irresponsible ignorants?

- Of course I use the device, after having paid so much for it - just not remotely in the way it was intended and advertised. It's basically a nice standalone machine, with a lot of useful functionality, under the hood of a somewhat weird Fred Feuerstein stone age MS DOS UI. That would be ok for me (I new it before the buy), using it as soon as I got my head around it's wildly idiosyncratic structure (2-3 weeks basic time investment to get going), IF a finalised Overbridge version would finally help doing the recording job.

- Price and value: I paid nearly 1700€ back then. To record single outs, it was necessary to buy and connect a Focusrite Octopre MKII (another 400€) to my Motu Soundcard (where all but two inputs are used by synths and mikes). Total investment: 2100€, with no Overbridge functionality. Selling it used now would cost me some hundred bucks, instead of FINALLY getting my paid product going. So I prefer to keep it until they finally deliver a finished product - just in case they prove to be are able and willing to do that within my lifetime A public reminder every half year or so, that's probably not too much facing such a company, is it?

@ camus2
completely agree with you: I just couldn't really believe, that a serious company would advertise something heavily on release, one month before outing it as pure vaporware AFTER the first massive buying wave. But meanwhile I have learnt, that for some company managements no behavior is too dirty to become reality. Won't happen again to me, ever.

So none of you has perceived any sign of life from Elektron, after half a year of public beta, that they might finally get their job done before winter comes?
In all seriousness, what is your end goal? Do you want individual outs over USB for processing in your DAW? If that's what you want, I believe Roland's AIRA line does that. I've heard good things about the TR-8S. Or are you chasing some unicorn that doesn't exist? If what you really want is Elektron to deliver the moon and the stars, then you have more waiting to do.

I still have the instructions from the first beta of Overbridge. They swore it would be delivered in May, but it was late. As an inside joke, they dated the beta documentation May 32. I remember thinking at the time, this is a bad sign. This was probably four years ago They've been unable to get it out of beta since then.

I know it hurts to lose money on gear, but in the end, what is your time worth? There may be something else that can do what you want, but you aren't able to get it because you are sitting on gear that you aren't using. Are you looking for problems or are you looking for solutions?
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

A related aside: Analog Heat 2 says "Overbridge enabled (available later)" - anyone give input on how the beta is working out with this unit?
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear
Hahahha! Overbridge is AWSOME!

The feature is total B.S, it ain't gonna happen, it can't, not O.S systems as they are today....IT'S OVER, IT AIN'T HAPPENING, GIVE IT UP...

....But the comedy just goes on and on and on.......I want to see how long they can keep this thing going for, it's hilarious!
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
It is sample-accurate and has been 100% reliable with both my Digitakt and Analog Heat MkII, to the point I have removed ALL analog I/O from them and have both connected with just a USB cable. Saved me a whole lot of inputs and outputs on my FireFace and mixer, tell you that - it is especially awesome on Windows where you don’t have the ability to use multiple audio devices simultaneously. Integration with Cubase is a freaking dream - the Heat is a send effect and the digitakt is a VSTi, with mint audio streaming. I can’t speak for devices I don’t have (especially older ones), but it has been flawless for me for several months now, and it is quite an exciting bit of tech.

As to why they have not taken it out of beta yet, I don’t know... don’t really care at this point.
Thanks for your state of things feedback, Andreas! Integration with Cubase is the key feature for me.

This sounds encouraging enough to give it a try. I don't care how they name it, but I want to be sure not to waste any more time on something not working as it should. Recording analog gear along with digital is something I like, as I do with my analog synths side by side with Serum, Sylenth etc.. That was my main reason, besides some standalone use, to buy the AR MK II, 18 months ago.

As soon as this works and my payment is finally delivered, I can move on and just forget about the whole Elektron management experience, including the funny moderation of their forum, with their from my view extremely weird and untolerable patronizing moderation efforts. I'm just glad when all that nonsense is over, and I can finally simply use the thing for music making as intended.
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

The thing that Elektron never mentioned is that using USB audio alongside another audio interface ( for those who have more gear they want to mix in) is problematic because both Mac OS and Windows can't deal with multiple audio interfaces very well. What tends to happen is digital audio sync issues, which result in glitches, crackles and pops. On the Mac, you can combine audio interfaces into an "aggregate device", but it performs poorly for multichannel audio work.

I am guessing they got stuck trying to deal with this issue... I also guess that they originally pitched the idea of Overbridge to secure investor money, because the investors (who are real, no guessing here) wanted to see software integration since they don't recognize standalone hardware as profitable. In this scenario they basically scammed their investors as well as their customers. The investors don't really care about the details of user experience and are probably unaware that the software is lame. They are not in the music business...

Multicahnnel audio over a single USB cable sounds really convenient and works if all you have is one piece of hardware and a computer, but for a bigger setup with more hardware intruments, you have to do the job properly and get a multichannel audio interface, and expand it via optical ADAT or MADI if more inputs are needed. You'll get better sound and no glitches.
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool story bro! Did you copy paste it from Elektronauts?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search