The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio Interfaces - Bad Software and Forced Obsolescence
Old 30th August 2019
Here for the gear

Audio Interfaces - Bad Software and Forced Obsolescence

I've gone through several Audio Interfaces now due to software bugs/issues and forced obsolescence due to manufacturers deciding to end driver support/development etc...
I'm over it. My latest Audio Interface is made by Audient and is plagued with software bugs. I like that it's Class compliant and does not require drivers to function, but it sucks that it also relies on the buggy iD Mixer software to change settings and control it. It sucks even more that it requires firmware updates to work with the latest version of the iD Mixer software. Mine's been failing to upgrade the firmware. Spent days working with Audient tech support. They determined that I need to RMA it. Not gonna be without my interface for days due to crappy software, so I'm sticking with a much older version of the iD Mixer software. At this point, I'd much rather have hardware buttons and knobs for that level of control than rely on software. It's been a similar story with each interface I've owned. Dealing with these issues is not only a creativity killer, but also wreaks havoc during recording and mixing sessions when they happen.
I'd love to have a rock solid setup that is mostly immune to these issues. Something that I can potentially continue to use for the next 10 years and still be able to upgrade the OS and software on my DAW host without worrying about having to buy a new interface, yet again. I prefer to keep my setup as minimalist as possible to minimize distraction and keep the focus on the art. Anyone have any suggestions? Or do I just need to accept that Audio Interfaces will always be the bane of my existence?
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Burn and churn is the silent mantra of most tech companies.

I've been using my Metric Halo ULN2 for 15 years and upgraded it to 3D last summer which made the monitor section every bit as great as the Dangerous DBox I've been using for D/A. I've been using my Metric Halo ULN8 for 10 years and upgraded it also to 3D. They love the fact that I had enough confidence in the company to upgrade my units while the controlling software was still in Beta, so Metric Halo offered me a 50% discount on any hardware they sell, so I bought an LIO 3D at an amazing price.

YMMV, in 15 years mine has not.
Old 30th August 2019
Here for the gear

Does anyone use the TASCAM Model 24 as an analog front-end and audio interface for their DAW? If so, is it class-compliant? I see that there is a download available for their mixing setting panel software... Is it necessary though? Or can you get full functionality without the software? If the software isn't necessary, perhaps this could be a solution...
Old 31st August 2019
I have had/used about 5 different interfaces and agree with the OP. Buggy software and problems with updating the firmware. I wish the manufactures of these units would do some "real world" testing before putting their units on the market. Maybe someday...(wishful thinking)

Have a good holiday!
Old 31st August 2019
Gear Maniac

I've had buggy interface before. Until I landed on a Roland interface and its been pretty smooth sailing. Their drivers are top notch.

I wouldnt really worry about class compliance, whats the matter with having to install manufacturer drivers? Often times they can improve quality of life compared to basic windows universal drivers.

As far as the tascam goes: I know tascam has upped their game recently but I personally would steer clear. I have owned one tascam interface in my life and it was so poorly made, and the drivers were so buggy that it only work 15% of the time. And when it did work it sounded like garbage. The other 85% of the time was either blue screen of death or simply inoperable.

YMMV
Old 31st August 2019
If you want solid drivers and support for old gear, RME is pretty darned great. I'll upgrade it some day, but I'm a happy customer still rocking my Multiface after all these years. Still don't quite get TotalMix....
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Addict

Apogee, MOTU, RME, and Lynx are it. Nothing else consistently works. Nobody else bothers to write drivers. I’m not even sure Apogee writes drivers but their Thunderbolt stuff works.

None of the Chinese made gear that is not just a vehicle to sell overpriced SHARC plugins works. Wait that company moved production to China and now wants even MORE money! They only work due to the on-unit plugins and direct monitoring! The Presonus Quantum stuff works now but it might not work on the computer you buy in five years. It’s Presonus; their track record is horrific and the sound quality just isn’t there. Not even Focusrite and Tascam can get their stuff to work consistently. They sell millions of units to consumers that barely work but at least some of the Tascam stuff (DA 3000, UH-7000) sounds okay.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear
Thats why i buy RME.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Guess I'm lucky. Never had a problem with any interface (be it PCI based or otherwise). I've had MOTU 2408, Digi 192HD, RME Multiface II, Focusrite Clarett (for home studio), SSL (Dante). Yamaha RIO (Dante), Midas M32 (USB now dante), Yamaha MG (USB) and Prism (MADI). All of them worked like a charm once past the initial set up phase.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Buy RME, they still bring fresh drivers for units were released back in 2001.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
I got a MixPre6M and don't record on a computer . Just got some camera batteries and a sled for it and works great. I self record and occasionally have ringers in and it is a very easy setup to record with. I wish had a DI but onboard sounds fine for such a tiny unit. Don't know about interface but does function that way. If I was going to buy an interface would be RME since I HATE science projects.........
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've still got my RME Fireface 800 after warranty 2007 after 2004 purchase. Even running into the 800mHz port because I'd fried the 400mHz plugging in backwards. (but glad there was a workaround! )

But the Fireface was bought with college money and I doubt I can afford an RME again. I too had the Audient in sight as possible replacement for 2 ins and hook it easily to any computer, as the internal chips look real nice, but the horror stories have me scared to do that.
So let's say witha budget between $150 and $300, what's a good Audient substitute?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search