The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'll never buy from Guitar Center again.
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

I'll never buy from Guitar Center again.

So, i purchased some sennheiser 280 Hd headphones for tracking purposes and the salesman offers me the 2 year extended protection on them. his exact quote was "i highly recommend this it protects you from damaged, them failing due to even accidental damage." okay i got the warranty on them. yesterday the left side went out and i called them to get a replacement pair or the equal value credit for another pair. "sorry sir you have to contact the manufacturer," since you didn't drop them. what? okay so what did i pay for? if i am careless and break them myself? never did the sales man say it only covers accidental damage. i would of never of bought the extra service cuz i don't break my studio gear never have in 20 years. Crazy part was i was going to go in there this weekend and spend about 3 grand on some upgrades since i seen they had what i wanted in the store. THEY WILL NEVER GET ANOTHER PENNY FROM ME. sweetwater from now on.
Old 27th August 2019
That sounds pretty crazy.

I wasn't a GC hater -- though like anyone else on a Saturday afternoon, I've run into some dicey sales dudes there. But while I was building my project studio rig in the 90s, I had a good relationship with at least a couple sales people who did do right by me. But I talked to one of them after he left and, you know sour grapes and all, but he said he was forced out by other sales staff because he was always cutting good deals -- and according to him, some of the other guys didn't like that, since it was competition and downward price pressure on them.

But then the company as a whole seemed to start spiralling down when it was bought by the venture capital firm (Bain Industries) that was owned in large part by Mitt Romney. As Bain (allegedly) drained the assets, the company's future seemed to move into the teetering-on-the-edge column.

Anyhow, sadly enough, you're not the only one who has been (apparently) hosed by crappy extended warranties at GC. Now, of course, GC is hardly the only retailer who pushes these things -- but some of their practices are apparently egregious enough to warrant an article about just this subject in no less than the New York Times...

Recounting ‘Horror Stories’ Over Guitar Center’s Warranties
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

i just got off the phone with sennheiser they were more then helpful and going to replace them, at no cost including free shipping to them. the agent was dumb founded guitar center wouldn't cover it since it was less then 30 days and i have the extended coverage her exact words were "oh so they wanna play hardball i'll go ahead and just handle this for you," that's how you take care of paying customers. guitar center
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
That sounds pretty crazy. I wasn't a GC hater -- though like anyone else on a Saturday afternoon, I've run into some dicey sales dudes there. But while I was building my project studio rig in the 90s, I had a good relationship with at least a couple sales people who did do right by me. But I talked to one of them after he left and, you know sour grapes and all, but he said he was forced out by other sales staff because he was always cutting good deals. And some of the other guys didn't like that, since it was competition and downward price pressure on them.

Sadly, you're not the only one who has been (apparently) hosed by crappy extended warranties at GC. Now, of course, GC is hardly the only retailer who pushes these things -- but some of their practices are apparently egregious enough to warrant an article about just this subject in no less than the New York Times...

Recounting ‘Horror Stories’ Over Guitar Center’s Warranties
the icing on the cake they couldn't even find my warranty plan or account info in the system even though my receipt reflects it and the sales people pull up my info everytime i buy something in the store. what a joke GC enjoy your last 130 dollars your ever get from me.
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
the icing on the cake they couldn't even find my warranty plan or account info in the system even though my receipt reflects it and the sales people pull up my info everytime i buy something in the store. what a joke GC enjoy your last 130 dollars your ever get from me.
$130 for $99 phones??
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
$130 for $99 phones??
with tax and the warranty i just rounded it up it was like 120 something. the insurance was like 20 bucks. its not even about the money, i could walk in there tomorrow and buy 100,000 of these head phones its about the principle of good business. These were for tracking only and to take mobile when listening to music.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
i just got off the phone with sennheiser they were more then helpful and going to replace them, at no cost including free shipping to them. the agent was dumb founded guitar center wouldn't cover it since it was less then 30 days and i have the extended coverage her exact words were "oh so they wanna play hardball i'll go ahead and just handle this for you," that's how you take care of paying customers. guitar center

Standard procedure if they do this to you.

Return everything. Get refund.
Buy new all over again, problem solved same day
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That warranty is mainly a way for salespeople to earn extra commission.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's ridiculous. Extended warranties usually cover manufacturer defects, not accidents.
But if that's the case, you should have stepped on them and then brought them in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Standard procedure if they do this to you.

Return everything. Get refund.
Buy new all over again, problem solved same day
I returned them and just said I didn't like them. So, I got my money back in full. Guitar center will never see a red cent from me. They thought they had me though.... Not today! Lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search