The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
This chair is really trying to kill me
Old 22nd August 2019
Here for the gear

This chair is really trying to kill me

I just got my gaming chair delivered today from staples it's called helix gaming chair and I notice all the parts were warm . It was a very hot day today In NYC . So when I'm was done putting It together I sat down I started feeling a little queezy. It had that new car smell but nothing crazy . I'm currently in a low carb diet so I figure it must be that . But as time went on light headedness turned to headache dizzyness and started feeling really sick like I was going to pass out . I went for I walk and started feeling better came back and the feeling returned again . on the website I read this *WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP), which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/furniture

Guys im scared .Wtf is wrong with staples . What the heck did i buy This chair is currently in my hallway I live on a big apartment building in ny .hopefully I don't get robbed . Anybody have a problem like this? don't know what I should do I don't even wAnna look at that chair right now . Stuff like this should be illegal to sell .
Old 22nd August 2019
Gear Head
I live in CA - that warning is literally on everything. I'm actually suspicious of the things that don't have it...
Old 22nd August 2019
It can happen. Many years ago some carpets that people were installing were making the people living in homes sick. It was due to some of the materials releasing chemicals.

I'd take the chair back and get your money back.

A while back I bought some new tools and put them in the tool box. I don't use my tools on a daily basis but one day I needed to work on something and when I opened up my tool box, there was a funky smell coming out of it. It was the rubber material on one of the new tools!
Old 22nd August 2019
Lives for snowflakes

That chair should be sent to the electric human!

Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

It's a plot to cull the sort of people who pay the sort of money they do for a glorified office chair.

But only after they've all bought one.
Old 23rd August 2019
I would take the chair back to Staples and get your money back. Chemicals used in certain products can cause some pretty horrific medical and allergy problems. Best of luck!
Old 26th August 2019
A lot of time these products really do release noxious (if not outright toxic) gasses -- when they are new.

OP mentioned the chair was warm. I'm not as familiar with the notion of gaming chairs as I might be (if I hadn't stopped gaming at Doom II) but I think some of them have various vibration/sound motors and the like to deliver a 'full spectrum' experience while gaming, yeah? If it's powered, it will likely produce *some* heat -- and that heat will, of course, be likely to increase (to some extent) release of annoying/noxious gasses.

THAT said, I believe that the atmospheric effluence from many of these products is likely to decrease fairly quickly once they've 'aired out.'

As stimpe correctly notes, California does have a citizens initiative-created law that leaves virtually no wiggle room on such cancer-related warnings. Just about anything made out of plastic or containing plastic (or many other modern production materials) will likely be tagged with such a warning. Because there are no practical lower thresholds to the warning requirement.

Sadly, the law was crafted in such a way that it effectively became the law that cried wolf. I, myself, am ALL for health and safety warnings and sensible regulation -- BUT, obviously, at the point where almost anything you buy can and probably does have such a warning, it becomes counterproductive. =/

We in California cannot blame our legislators (who likely would have had considerable input from various industry groups and lobbyists -- itself a mixed bag, ethically, of course) for the excesses of the law. We Californians voted the law in.
Old 28th August 2019
Here for the gear

Previous commenters are right - lots of things release chemicals that can mess with you. You likely don't have anything serious from the short amount of time that you spent with the chair, and you can bring it inside your apartment (just don't use it) if you're worried about it being stolen. I would DEFINITELY take it back to Staples though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search