The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Spectrum Reset My Modem
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Spectrum Reset My Modem

In the wee hours this morning, my internet service provider reset my combo modem/wireless router. So no recognizable network on my computer or phone. So no internet.

The Spectrum guy on the phone (in St. Louis, not Manila) said yeah, that can happen. Usually during maintenance, and usually to more than one subscriber. Which I took to mean, "thousands of them." Or maybe "all of them." So I'm glad I caught it at 5am, before their phone lines blew up.

If my ISP can make it happen accidentally to a few thousand people all at once, it's pretty easy to speculate that a hacker could make it happen on purpose to all of us. Scary.

I don't mean to specifically take Spectrum to task for this; I'm guessing it can happen with every provider. But Spectrum is Time Warner, who made stupid deals that turned the Lakers and the Dodgers into pay TV, and then jacked my monthly internet fee from $44 to $67 to pay for it, and then changed their name to Spectrum so I'd forget who they actually are.

So I say eff Spectrum anyway.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 3 weeks ago at 08:04 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Spectrum did the right thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Spectrum did the right thing.
Ok Mary so contrary..why?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Ok Mary so contrary..why?
For maintenance purposes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
For maintenance purposes.
I don't think that's the issue though. Moreso that they a) didn't fix it automatically or b) didn't even bother to warn or let people know afterwards that it could have happened.

It's called customer service.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I don't think that's the issue though. Moreso that they a) didn't fix it automatically or b) didn't even bother to warn or let people know afterwards that it could have happened.

It's called customer service.
Okay.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have Spectrum and had to reboot my system after I got off work and fired up the PC at 2:30 in the morning., possibly related I quess. Not to worry as long as nobody debunks the INTERNET so it won't exist anymore, heh-heh.

Last edited by AfterViewer; 3 weeks ago at 06:30 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

While there maybe a reason to remotely update firmware on a modem, there is no reason it should reset your network ID or login credentials.

Oh yeah, there is one reason...

SPECTRUM IS THE FVCKING WORST!

The only reason to do business with Spectrum is because you live in a rural area and you have no choice if you want high speed Internet. Otherwise, you get what you pay for, which is a business paradigm that puts the customer dead last behind whatever else they sell.

Last edited by swafford; 3 weeks ago at 04:56 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Update - you know how you can look at your Wifi settings on your computer or phone and see what your neighbors have custom-named their routers? Suddenly, a lot of my neighbors' old names have been replaced with "Spectrum-this" and "Netgear-that." Holy crap.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In the wee hours this morning, my internet service provider reset my combo modem/wireless router. So no recognizable network on my computer or phone. So no internet.

The Spectrum guy on the phone (in St. Louis, not Manila) said yeah, that can happen. Usually during maintenance, and usually to more than one subscriber. Which I took to mean, "thousands of them." Or maybe "all of them." So I'm glad I caught it at 5am, before their phone lines blew up.

If my ISP can make it happen accidentally to a few thousand people all at once, it's pretty easy to speculate that a hacker could make it happen on purpose to all of us. Scary.

I don't mean to specifically take Spectrum to task for this; I'm guessing it can happen with every provider. But Spectrum is Time Warner, who made stupid deals that turned the Lakers and the Dodgers into pay TV, and then jacked my monthly internet fee from $44 to $67 to pay for it, and then changed their name to Spectrum so I'd forget who they actually are.

So I say eff Spectrum anyway.
Most folks seem to hate their ISPs. (I don't, but I've ground my teeth over them a few times.) Most of the ISPs around So Cal [where Brent also is] seem to charge about $65 for basic high speed internet (or land line service or conventional cable TV) and about twice that on up to $200 or for the whole threeway package and the extras that folks who go that route often choose (movie and sports bundles and the like).

FWIW, my Internet goes down maybe a couple times a year briefly, an hour or two. (Sometimes it'll be hinky for a day or two.) [I just realized that I have the same outfit as Brent, Spectrum, though I still think of the company as Charter. Old guy livin' in the past. ]

I own my own router but the modem is the company's. They seem to have finally settled on a fairly trouble free one. I guess they've changed them up maybe three to five times in the 15 years I've been here.

Here's what can be a very handy little tool -- reporting service status across major providers:

https://downdetector.com/
Old 3 weeks ago
We have a locally owned CO-OP ISP. GREAT people and technical support service is usually provided the same day. I cannot remember the last time they dumped. Totally satisfied. On the other side of the story my best friend has WOW and he was down for three days due to a "broken wire". NOT GOOD! It seems the bigger they are the worse they are. FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Spent the weekend moving my daughter into off campus housing at The™ Ohio University and of course it's the local Bell at 12Mbps or Spectrum at 100Mbps, she had a data driven major and just streaming TV so of course she wanted Spectrum. After 90 minutes on hold to acquire her service, she opted to self install instead of waiting 2 months for a tech. She asked them to hold shipment till she was there, and of course they didn't bother. Simple set up till she attempted to change the SSID via the manage tab on the Spectrum site, and it disabled her wifi. I've set up plenty of routers over the years, so doing a pin reset and then accessing the admin GUI on the router via a laptop was pretty straightforward, but if she'd been left to do it herself, she would have been lost.

Great job Spectrum!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm forced to use Spectrum in my area too. My advice is to get your own router/WiFi unit and just use the Spectrum modem, then you'll never have them reset your home's network config. Almost four years on Spectrum service now and I've had some normal short outages (by normal I mean comparable to every other ISP I've had), but never any major issues.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There might have been a new ('unofficially')agency-mandated backdoor in a recent firmware that the men in suits said to push out to the many devices of this type that a lot of people don't routinely update.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Late breaking news:

Two nights ago I'm mixing at a venue that live-streams their shows. I don't know much about this stuff. But apparently doing this, or maybe running the video-switching software that's part of the process, requires a static IP address. Mid-show, around 10:30 pm, Spectrum changes the venue's IP to a dynamic address, whatever that means.

And down we go. Eff you again, Spectrum!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Late breaking news:

Two nights ago I'm mixing at a venue that live-streams their shows. I don't know much about this stuff. But apparently doing this, or maybe running the video-switching software that's part of the process, requires a static IP address. Mid-show, around 10:30 pm, Spectrum changes the venue's IP to a dynamic address, whatever that means.

And down we go. Eff you again, Spectrum!
So, if what you were told is literally true then that's absolutely terrible. Refund territory for sure.

As soon as RCN was available here in NY I switched and I've never looked back really. A fair amount more pricey but more solid service on all levels.

PS: A static IP address is basically having the same address on the internet. A dynamic one requires the person connecting to contact an intermediary to get the latest name of the address. So imagine that I send you mail and all I know is your name, not your address. Your physical address "street - number" keeps changing and USPS is the only one who knows it. So I have to tell them I want to send you something and they'll give me the address. But if I just use the last address I have it might have changed and you never get my mail. That's "sort of" how a dynamic IP address works. "BrentHahn.com" is the name xxx.xxx.xxx.x.x is the address, and it's either always the same ($) or it is dynamic...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Another disgruntled Spectrum user here,about once every day or so my internet goes out. I have to unplug the router,plug it back in and let it reboot.Horrible equipment,lines and QC.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search