The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'm done with eBay
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

I'm done with eBay

I know I'm late to the party, but I held out for a long time without any issues. I guess it was bound to happen eventually. Back in July, I sold a vintage piano pickup system on ebay. It was fun to play around with for a while, but it was house cleaning time and just not getting a whole lot of use. I shipped it out and thought everything was good as I got no reply from the buyer about it arriving or working.

Two and a half weeks after it arrived to the buyer, I get a message on ebay asking where one of the parts for the system way. Sure enough, I had shipped the piezo pickups but forgot to include the small DI control box for all of it. It was a Friday afternoon and she was asking me to overnight it to them as they had rehearsal that weekend. At this juncture (although I wouldn't have been happy about it), I would have accepted a return from them as that was my mess up. Part of me was frustrated that it took her almost 3 weeks to open the package and look inside, but I'm a good guy so I would have just accepted a return. She didn't want to do that, she wanted it overnighted. I couldn't do that because it was late and before a weekend, the fastest I could get it to her was Monday and I shipped it out.

She got it on Monday and again, radio silence. 10 days later (and this is 2 days before the 30 day cutoff for returns at this point, regardless of the fact that I checked the "no returns" options) I get another message saying the system is not working and one of the pickups was broken. Further, she said in the message that she could see from my auction pictures that it was broken as well and wanted a return. I was really confused and questioned further, at which point she said her sound guy has gotten it to work but they are not happy with the sound quality and there is a lot of noise. They wanted a return because it wasn't working and they had purchased a digital piano in the mean time.

I tried to explain to her that she probably purchased the wrong thing for her situation and the digital piano was probably the right choice from the beginning. Unfortunately, I wasn't going to accept a return because she didn't do her homework before buying. After that, I get a request for return because there were missing pieces. I took a lot of time to write a few messages in the return section as to why I wasn't going to return it and clearly documented everything in there meticulously so that ebay could see my side when they stepped in to mediate. Well, they stepped in this morning and literally a couple of minutes later, they approved the return and will not even give me a reason.

Ebay is not your friend as a seller. They will always automatically side with the buyer no matter the reason given. The idea that they step in and mediate is a joke, I doubt a real person even looked at the novella of messages and back and forths we had in there as the request was approved so quickly. As a buyer, you can "try and buy" no matter what and always get your request for a return approved, no matter what the situation. I'm officially done with ebay, unbelievably poor service and policy priority....
Old 22nd August 2019
Gear Nut

I'm done with eBay, they began billing me for synth sales I hadn't made. The money was going out to them via Paypal. The ebay bills caused me to go through my bank account with a fine tooth comb for the last 6 years. I've detected numerous unauthorised transactions via Paypal that I don't recognise (value 4K UK). I've repeatedly asked Paypal to tell me who they have paid this money to but Paypal are hiding behind having transferred to the EU to avoid coming under UK Data Protection Law. I managed to reverse one transaction and Paypal claim they don't know what it was for. Ebay are refusing receipt of my signed for letters to get a proper breakdown of where their imaginary bills have come from. Both companies are an absolute shower.
Old 22nd August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I know I'm late to the party, but I held out for a long time without any issues. I guess it was bound to happen eventually. Back in July, I sold a vintage piano pickup system on ebay. It was fun to play around with for a while, but it was house cleaning time and just not getting a whole lot of use. I shipped it out and thought everything was good as I got no reply from the buyer about it arriving or working.

Two and a half weeks after it arrived to the buyer, I get a message on ebay asking where one of the parts for the system way. Sure enough, I had shipped the piezo pickups but forgot to include the small DI control box for all of it. It was a Friday afternoon and she was asking me to overnight it to them as they had rehearsal that weekend. At this juncture (although I wouldn't have been happy about it), I would have accepted a return from them as that was my mess up. Part of me was frustrated that it took her almost 3 weeks to open the package and look inside, but I'm a good guy so I would have just accepted a return. She didn't want to do that, she wanted it overnighted. I couldn't do that because it was late and before a weekend, the fastest I could get it to her was Monday and I shipped it out.

She got it on Monday and again, radio silence. 10 days later (and this is 2 days before the 30 day cutoff for returns at this point, regardless of the fact that I checked the "no returns" options) I get another message saying the system is not working and one of the pickups was broken. Further, she said in the message that she could see from my auction pictures that it was broken as well and wanted a return. I was really confused and questioned further, at which point she said her sound guy has gotten it to work but they are not happy with the sound quality and there is a lot of noise. They wanted a return because it wasn't working and they had purchased a digital piano in the mean time.

I tried to explain to her that she probably purchased the wrong thing for her situation and the digital piano was probably the right choice from the beginning. Unfortunately, I wasn't going to accept a return because she didn't do her homework before buying. After that, I get a request for return because there were missing pieces. I took a lot of time to write a few messages in the return section as to why I wasn't going to return it and clearly documented everything in there meticulously so that ebay could see my side when they stepped in to mediate. Well, they stepped in this morning and literally a couple of minutes later, they approved the return and will not even give me a reason.

Ebay is not your friend as a seller. They will always automatically side with the buyer no matter the reason given. The idea that they step in and mediate is a joke, I doubt a real person even looked at the novella of messages and back and forths we had in there as the request was approved so quickly. As a buyer, you can "try and buy" no matter what and always get your request for a return approved, no matter what the situation. I'm officially done with ebay, unbelievably poor service and policy priority....
Dude, you totally scammed the buyer. eBay did the right thing by refunding the money.
Old 22nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Dude, you totally scammed the buyer. eBay did the right thing by refunding the money.
How so?
Old 22nd August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
How so?
You sent a faulty device and you did not send all of the pieces.

When you sell stuff, you have to please the customer. Otherwise, just donate the equipment. Nobody wants to pay money and have problems with items.
Old 22nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
You sent a faulty device and you did not send all of the pieces.

When you sell stuff, you have to please the customer. Otherwise, just donate the equipment. Nobody wants to pay money and have problems with items.
I'll get back to you when they return it and it's working perfectly. If it's not, I'll eat crow... Again though, they chose to have me send the missing part rather than return it at that point. On the flip side of your argument (as a seller), no one wants to have things returned to them because of user error. I'm not a store. It goes both ways logically, but not on eBay.
Old 27th August 2019
Deleted 5cc75a2
screw ebay and paypal.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search