The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Good whisk(e)y to take the edge off annoying posters
Old 21st August 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Talking Good whisk(e)y to take the edge off annoying posters

Why, during certain times of the year, do we get these waves of kiddie trash posts?

You know the ones: nothing to say, lots of swearing and rage, one-note Johnnies saying the same, empty, useless thing over and over again, with poster names designed to be offensive, at least from an eight year old spoiled brat’s point of view?

Any way to give them an algorithmic lollipop coated with ghost pepper sauce and send them back into the garbage bin they’ve clearly sprung from? Or is it better just to remain quietly amused and slightly annoyed, annoyed enough to send one out to the store to find a really good whiskey?

Speaking of which, any recommendations?
Old 21st August 2019
  #2
I hear Maker's Mark is very good. I have't tried it though.

Old 21st August 2019
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Bourbon -- Maker's is nice, my fave is Pappy Van Winkle. Ranges from can't-afford to will-never-afford. Awfully good, though.

Scotch -- I like the peaty, smoky stuff. My wife hates it, meaning I get it all to myself.
Old 21st August 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 

I'm generally content with traditional Jack Daniels, but have enjoyed some single malts here and there.... Nothing compares, when they're good!
Old 21st August 2019
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Bourbon -- Maker's is nice, my fave is Pappy Van Winkle. Ranges from can't-afford to will-never-afford. Awfully good, though.

Scotch -- I like the peaty, smoky stuff. My wife hates it, meaning I get it all to myself.
Me, I haven't used alcohol in a quarter century -- but I put in a couple decades of hard drinkin' before that.


Here's an arguable truism that came to me the other day:

"Booze is best at solving problems you don't really have."
__________________


PS -- Does anyone think the periodic such influxes might be related to one or more recording classes starting up their semesters and encouraging students to 'make professional connections'?
Old 21st August 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Yeah I can't drink much, never did... These days, restricted by pill interactions in particular. But I do enjoy a taste now and then.
Old 21st August 2019
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Yeah I can't drink much, never did... These days, restricted by pill interactions in particular. But I do enjoy a taste now and then.
If I'd stuck with now and then -- and not had the passion for the rollercoaster downhill ride into oblivion that I did -- I might still be able to enjoy the taste from time to time.

That said, it took me years to get to like the taste.


I used to be a wine enthusiast (not the fancy/expensive stuff, but I knew how to find a good bargain in a nice Cab or Merlot)...

But a while after I quit drinking, I decided to splurge and buy a 'nice bottle' of non-alcoholic Cabernet Sauvignon from Trader Joe's to accompany a juicy steak I was barbecuing that night.

Here's the thing about non-alc wine or other beverages: alcohol really has a taste. And many/most alcoholic beverages/mixed drinks evolved to balance/complement that strong alcohol taste.

But pull the alcohol out of a 'nice Cab' and what do you end up with? A somewhat complex tasting grape juice. That tastes a LOT more like grape juice than the wine you used to guzzle.
Old 21st August 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
DrJustice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
...
Speaking of which, any recommendations?
I'm glad you brought up this important issue. Great initiative! My fave of those I can afford is Longmorn 16 YO. I'll be following the thread to pick up other recommendations.
Old 21st August 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Yes, what I’m interested in are the unusual ones... we all know Glenfiddich etc.
Old 22nd August 2019
  #10
Eagle Rare is one of my favourite affordable bourbons.

The Pappies and the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection selections of this world are better, but also impossible to find and $$$$$$$$$$$$s when you do.
Old 22nd August 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Any experience with single malt Scotch? They tend to be pricey, but every now and then there's an unusual find that isn't so bad. A friend of mine back in Chicago 30 years ago (!) introduced me to a single malt that is that memorable that I remember it to this day, though I can't for the life of me remember its name!
Old 22nd August 2019
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Eagle Rare is one of my favourite affordable bourbons.

The Pappies and the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection selections of this world are better, but also impossible to find and $$$$$$$$$$$$s when you do.
Holy Smokes! I looked it up and there's a very rare bottle of it going for 24k !

That bottle would definitely be the center piece of any bar.

https://www.gobourbon.com/double-eag...buffalo-trace/
Old 22nd August 2019
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Holy Smokes! I looked it up and there's a very rare bottle of it going for 24k !

That bottle would definitely be the center piece of any bar.

https://www.gobourbon.com/double-eag...buffalo-trace/
The standard 10-year expression should be under $40 most places.

They do a 17-year old version in the aforementioned BTAC line though that is super limited/rare and has crazy secondary market prices (despite the list price being around $120!)
Old 22nd August 2019
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
The standard 10-year expression should be under $40 most places.

They do a 17-year old version in the aforementioned BTAC line though that is super limited/rare and has crazy secondary market prices (despite the list price being around $120!)
Next time I go to the package store, I'm gonna look for some.
Old 23rd August 2019
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
Lunar Attic's Avatar
Quote:
Low Count Trash Posters
If it isn't already taken, I think I might use that as a band name... :think:


T
Old 23rd August 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
DrJustice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Any experience with single malt Scotch? They tend to be pricey, but every now and then there's an unusual find that isn't so bad. A friend of mine back in Chicago 30 years ago (!) introduced me to a single malt that is that memorable that I remember it to this day, though I can't for the life of me remember its name!
It's my preferred direction in whisky. Not an expert by any means (I can only afford a bottle now and then), but for me it's a never ending journey in new tastes. Sort of like discovering new music. There will always be a new distillery, a new variety, new casks, a new vintage. Sometimes I've bought those kits with tastes of different vintages, as poor sods have to, and it's amazing how different they can be from year to year. I'm sure bourbons have something like that going which I may be missing, but by upbringing and culture I've been exposed to, and grown to greatly enjoy, the world of single malts. Living a little above and to the right of Scotland surely plays into that. OK, so I may be culturally depraved, as we all are to some extent...

A thing about single malts is that I experience them as sort of primordial gifts of pure nature, unlike blends which are made to some standard, "averaging out" the tastes and the experience. Of course there's an element on perception - the more unpronounceable the name on the flask, the more exciting it'll taste :-p Single malts == out there sound design, blends == bread and butter sounds. There's a time and a place for both.
Old 23rd August 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Yes, blends are comparatively "artificial," intentionally toned down to an expectation, same as in coffee, or tea. I also like these things in their purest form.... "let nature speak!" -- even though I know it's all cultivated in some way.

So maybe that's the fun of single malt: go out and explore, and be surprised. It's probably more expensive in the US, but at the rate I drink, probably better entertainment per year than a similarly priced video game.
Old 23rd August 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 
DigitMus's Avatar
 

I've still got a little Bowmore 30 year old and Glenmorangie 1971 (a special 150th anniversary batch ).
They are remarkably different, but both excellent. I've always been fond of the Macallan 25 year - not impressed with the 10 or 12, but the 18 is drinkable.
Old 26th August 2019
  #19
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
I'm more of an absinthe guy, but because of the expense, I thought it would be fun to try some high-end whiskey since low-end absinthe costs about the same. I had some of that Maker's 46, and I loved the oaky flavor to it. I'm a Maker's fan in the first place, but 46 definitely kicked it up a notch.
Old 26th August 2019
  #20
Gear Addict
I really miss the trash talk now!
Hey, tomorrow is trash and recycling here in Sarnia, Ontario for my part of town anyway.
Wait, I just trash talked!
Old 27th August 2019
  #21
Rye is a nice alternative to bourbon. Rye is drier and less sweet and oaky than bourbon. Try Bulleit (they make both types of American Whiskey). Also Irish is excellent and different than Scotch (Irish is triple distilled) - for great but common drinking try Black Bush by Bushmills. I feel they are a sizable step above Jameson.
Old 27th August 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Rye is a nice alternative to bourbon. Rye is drier and less sweet and oaky than bourbon. Try Bulleit (they make both types of American Whiskey). Also Irish is excellent and different than Scotch (Irish is triple distilled) - for great but common drinking try Black Bush by Bushmills. I feel they are a sizable step above Jameson.
Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 27th August 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitMus View Post
I've still got a little Bowmore 30 year old and Glenmorangie 1971 (a special 150th anniversary batch ).
They are remarkably different, but both excellent. I've always been fond of the Macallan 25 year - not impressed with the 10 or 12, but the 18 is drinkable.
It’s really true that, as expensive as they are, the 18+ whiskeys are something special. Glenmorangie has a familiar ring, but not the Bowmore!
Old 27th August 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
DigitMus's Avatar
 

Here you go:

https://www.bowmore.com
Old 28th August 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitMus View Post
Thanks! Looks like the best way to enjoy their whiskey would be to travel to Bowmore, and stay at the Harbour Inn.

The 27yr Vintner's Trilogy sounds particularly luscious.
Old 3rd September 2019
  #26
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Any experience with single malt Scotch? They tend to be pricey, but every now and then there's an unusual find that isn't so bad. A friend of mine back in Chicago 30 years ago (!) introduced me to a single malt that is that memorable that I remember it to this day, though I can't for the life of me remember its name!
In my opinion..

Single Malts:

Best single malt value that isn't expensive - Glenmorangie Original (10yr). $30-40. Often sold in one of those boxes with two glasses with the label on them.

Favorite single malts:

Highland Park (older is better), #1 favorite at 20+ years old
Glenfarclas (around 18yrs)
Lagavulin... like a 16yr (quite peaty)

Honorable mentions (single malts): Oban, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich (can't remember which one...), Caol Isla, Talisker… Maybe Mcallan…

American:

Best value - Evan Williams single barrel at around $30-35 depending on which vintage it is. Can be really great value.

Favorite Rye:

Sazerac
Rittenhouse
Old Overholt
Temptation

I'm not particularly adventurous with Ryes however and I don't drink them with as much afterthought as Scotch... instead I tend to often make Old Fashioneds which to an extent... uhm… 'equalizes' them... I do recommend learning how to make a good simple Old Fashioned btw, easy, tasty and cheap.
Old 3rd September 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
In my opinion..

Single Malts:

Best single malt value that isn't expensive - Glenmorangie Original (10yr). $30-40. Often sold in one of those boxes with two glasses with the label on them.

Favorite single malts:

Highland Park (older is better), #1 favorite at 20+ years old
Glenfarclas (around 18yrs)
Lagavulin... like a 16yr (quite peaty)

Honorable mentions (single malts): Oban, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich (can't remember which one...), Caol Isla, Talisker… Maybe Mcallan…

American:

Best value - Evan Williams single barrel at around $30-35 depending on which vintage it is. Can be really great value.

Favorite Rye:

Sazerac
Rittenhouse
Old Overholt
Temptation

I'm not particularly adventurous with Ryes however and I don't drink them with as much afterthought as Scotch... instead I tend to often make Old Fashioneds which to an extent... uhm… 'equalizes' them... I do recommend learning how to make a good simple Old Fashioned btw, easy, tasty and cheap.
Thanks! Another lifetime of options to explore!
Old 3rd September 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
Try Slow Hand Six Woods Whiskey from Greenbar Distellerey.

It's an amazingly smooth and delicious whiskey.

Greenbar is a Distellerey here in Los Angeles and I'm not sure how wide their distribution is but I'm sure you could order it from their site. Not too expensive really, especially for how good it is.
Old 5th September 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 

I’ll definitely look them up, thanks!
Old 6th September 2019
  #30
Lives for gear
 
DrJustice's Avatar
 

I like the new thread title!

This weekend I was served some Aberlour A'Bunadh (for the second time). It had several storeys of taste, including a few basement levels. Be warned though, it's cask strength.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump