The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Analog or Digital hardware? - Stand trial and confess
Old 18th August 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarnateX View Post
Whut? Is someone nasty around this thread?
Might not look that way but there were a handful replies from one poster who were all deleted. By the time I got here I could only see the deleted message notices, missed them all. Now even those are gone, only the other posts reacting to them are left. It makes for some surreal reading actually.
Old 18th August 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

I suspect some heavy Behr bashing was involved, since there seems to be a wave of that on GS at the mo.
Old 18th August 2019
Quote:
Whut? Is someone nasty around this thread?
It was all in my imagination

Its the angry anti behringer poster that does the dick pic threads and bombs half a dozen others just as I have my morning coffee, so I always catch them...I wouldnt have comment but the angry incels name checking me now...Uli's bastard lovechild!!!
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
AHA! So that shall be your defence?
I’m a bad person.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
This really turned into a “post your gear” thread, eh?
It definitely makes me feel less worried that my synth collection is out of control, that’s for sure.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I enjoy messing with people, too, so there’s that; no-one is perfect.
I blame a childhood that was a steady diet of 40s era Warner Brothers cartoons for that aspect of my personality. Then the teen years, where I learned interpersonal interactions by observations of characters played by Bill Murray.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Fortunately I had Andy of Mayberry as a counterpoint to The Three Stooges, I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners..... oh and McHale’s Navy, Gilligan’s Island, and Jacques Cousteau. Plus that Lloyd Bridges thing, though that and The Rifleman I found kind of dull.

Then there was The Prisoner, and Get Smart.....

And people talk about how good TV is these days! In my day, you had a little B&W portable and TV was completely free! All you had to do was leave the room and snack on junk food when the ads came on. Compared to now, there weren’t even that many ads! And a lot of them were entertaining.

Sigh....... good times, never to come again.
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Fortunately I had Andy of Mayberry as a counterpoint to The Three Stooges, I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners..... oh and McHale’s Navy, Gilligan’s Island, and Jacques Cousteau. Plus that Lloyd Bridges thing, though that and The Rifleman I found kind of dull.

Then there was The Prisoner, and Get Smart.....

And people talk about how good TV is these days! In my day, you had a little B&W portable and TV was completely free! All you had to do was leave the room and snack on junk food when the ads came on. Compared to now, there weren’t even that many ads! And a lot of them were entertaining.

Sigh....... good times, never to come again.
I’m pretty sure they spent more money (adjusted for inflation) on one episode of Game Of Thrones than they spent on the entire production of all the shows you you mentioned... so, it’s not all bad.
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
It definitely makes me feel less worried that my synth collection is out of control, that’s for sure.
I visit Muff Wiggler regularly to remind myself that my $5000 eurorack "groovebox" is a small and inexpensive rig. It only takes a few threads or even a few pages of the DIY Cases thread.

Such a relief.
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Sycamore View Post
I lean analog but embrace my digital gear for being just that. Both have their place. I’m not interested in analog modeling though, I don’t want replication. If it’s digital I want it unapologetically so
I agree. However, I use digital to obtains sounds I can't afford in analog.
I can't afford curve bender, zenner limiter, 140 plate. So I use UAD.
In general I used digital for hardware that is unobtainium.

Last edited by elegentdrum; 19th August 2019 at 03:19 AM..
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then there was The Prisoner
I am not a number, I am a free man!

Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m pretty sure they spent more money (adjusted for inflation) on one episode of Game Of Thrones than they spent on the entire production of all the shows you you mentioned... so, it’s not all bad.
Well it was worth it to see Diana Rigg again, true.
Old 19th August 2019
Digital for sure.

Analog = Over hyped & priced.

Just a Minibrute 2 on that side
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I agree. However, I use digital to obtains sounds I can't afford in analog.
I can't afford UAD curve bender, zenner limiter, 140 plate. So I use UAD.
In general I used digital for hardware that is unobtainium.
I *try* to avoid even that, but it's difficult, especially for advanced Reverbs and a few things.

I avoid it all most of the time, but I give in occasionally.
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I visit Muff Wiggler regularly to remind myself that my $5000 eurorack "groovebox" is a small and inexpensive rig. It only takes a few threads or even a few pages of the DIY Cases thread.

Such a relief.
Before I sold it, my modified Shared System might as well have been a drawer of watches or a closet of sneakers that are never worn. So much guilt in that system but to it's credit, I now have a lifetime of cool drum samples from it.
Old 19th August 2019
So despite all those analog vs. digital debates, I see that most of us prefer the mixing of both worlds or don't care about the technical origin of their sounds too much.
Both this thread and the debates in my memory are probably not representative and might show a distorted view on our real preferences.
BTW: I also use both worlds (or better: all worlds) of instruments: analog, digital, old, new, cheap, expensive, hardware, software, whatever. With a slight tendency towards vintage/analog instruments and new/digital effects, though.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

On trial?!!! Damn this board is getting serious! Do I need to get a lawyer?

Analogue-

Doepfer Dark Energy
Behringer Model D
Behringer Neutron
Roland SE-02
DSI Prophet '08

Digital

Waldorf Blofeld
Roland D-05
Roland Juno DS-88
Technics WSA-1R
Yamaha TG-55
Casio CZ-101 (out of service)

Looks like digitals are winning right now!

Honestly- much as I lean more to analogue these days, it's more about the synth itself and if I find it interesting. Still a few digi's out there I'd like.
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

My setup is in my signature, I use Cubase to sequence, my take is I use analog synths for analog sounds but for digital synths I would rather use VST as cheaper, mostly sound 99% the same and take up less space. The only digital hardware I have are the Reface DX with DTronics programmer and a Boutique D-05(I'd rather have the hardware than get involved with that Roland Cloud subscription).

I have the Aturia V collection to cover DX-7, Fairlight etc, VirtualCZ for CZ-101(sold the hardware original), Waldorg PPG Wave 3V, Aly James Linndrum and Simmons emulations, The Korg M1 and Wavestation VST's and Arturia Spark for other old school drum machine sounds my hardware/Aly James lab doesn't cover).

So in a nutshell prefer hardware for analogue and VST Synths for digital mainly. I'm not one to get involved with hardware Vs software, it a personal preference and what is best for the individual IMO.
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

I like using samples of analog gear, to retain that old school vibe of house music, which most of the time consisted entirely of sequenced samples. I just get the samples from sample libraries like most successful producers.
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Before I sold it, my modified Shared System might as well have been a drawer of watches or a closet of sneakers that are never worn. So much guilt in that system but to it's credit, I now have a lifetime of cool drum samples from it.

Right on. If you weren't using it much, it makes perfect sense to dump it and free up that $$. Smart move to take a bunch of samples first...

I'm all about mine so it's not as painful since it gets used nearly daily. The painful part is knowing I will be spending 3-4x more before I'm done.

Damn lucky my dog doesn't need braces, a car, or for me to pay tuition at some expensive university for years while they screw around and party.
Old 19th August 2019
i use analog, digital, hybrid, modular & software.

except eurorack which is newer, hardware is more or less vintage. part of it is in use, part of it is in the storage room. but frequently i rotate things in btwn them.

we had enough list threads, so i'm not going to do it here as well. most people skimp over these long lists anyway, as its absolutely boring and pointless to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
I don't know how some of you guys with large numbers of synths manage your sessions without feeling overwhelmed. I'm about at peak management capacity with my big-enough-for-me setup...
agreed it can be overwhelming but, on the other hand, you don't have to use all the synths you own every time you make a track

disadvantage of having a pile of gear is maintenance, waste of room/space, perhaps scattering of focus. advantage is you get to pick a sort of a customized setup for each project you do and have a wider palette. sometimes this can be so inspiring and fun, that it offsets negatives like losing focus - on the contrary it makes me more excited and interested/focused to use different gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post

Analog
Memorymoog
Moog One
MFB Dominion 1

Digital
Yamaha DX7II
Waldorf XTk

Hybrid
A bunch of eurorack, some analog, some digital
that's a very nice and versatile combination. tho i find it difficult to say "condensed" when there are behemoths like memorymoog in there
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
Honestly- much as I lean more to analogue these days, it's more about the synth itself and if I find it interesting. Still a few digi's out there I'd like.
Well, if it was all about sound, my bias is surely the DCOs of the 80s. Love my Deepmind 6 and Bassstation 2 for power versions of that sound. However, sound became a lesser issue to me one year ago, and most things I bought since have been due to functions, especially randomization, autovariations and trigger conditions. Last thing I bought was Miniak due to its transposable sequences, triggers and great self-containment suitable for a sketch pad synth. In such cases, I work with whatever engine is onboard. It actually feels nice to not have sound as first priority. If sound rules the game, my synth-scope gets too broad and my GAS accordingly.
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Out of 20+ synths, only three are digital, namely a DX-7IID, an XP-60 and a Blofeld.

So I guess that makes me an analog guy.

I enjoy working with computers, however. So it's not because I dislike digital synths that I have so few of them. It's rather because I can achieve most of what I want to do in the digital realm using only computers.
Old 20th August 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Out of 20+ synths, only three are digital, namely a DX-7IID, an XP-60 and a Blofeld.

I enjoy working with computers, however. So it's not because I dislike digital synths that I have so few of them. It's rather because I can achieve most of what I want to do in the digital realm using only computers.
Same thoughts here, although my rig is not as big as yours. Two of my digital synths were bought in the 90s, the other one is a physical model-based bought for a specific role: electric piano. The rest are analogue instruments.

I like digital synthesis, but for me it only makes sense in the computer, where I have total programmatic control.
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

I've gone back and forth on this over the years. There have been times when, yes, I've thought, why buy this hardware, when I can do more in software, actually (particularly sample-based)? But I've just come to like the feel, integration and direct playability of hardware designs, over the increasing complexity of a software environment.

But I have been resistant to analogue ever since the beginning, I don't know why. Perhaps the differences haven't mattered enough; perhaps I've always preferred the clean, crystalline sheen of digital.
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Guru

I'm half and half in theory, but in practice, I'm all digital. Even the analog stuff in the modular, I digitize and sample so I can get that digital stability.
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

I expect Behringer is going to tip usage to more analog, simply by making them more of them affordable. But digital will remain. The analog-vs-digital argument may thus never end.
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

What on Earth is my thread doing in the moan zone? I have not read any moans yet. Was it the now deleted mysterious visitor who caused that or is acid just getting cheaper globally?
Old 20th August 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
What on Earth is my thread doing in the moan zone? I have not read any moans yet. Was it the now deleted mysterious visitor who caused that or is acid just getting cheaper globally?
congratulations
Old 20th August 2019
And don't get me started on airplane food.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search