The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Analog or Digital hardware? - Stand trial and confess
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
I don't know how some of you guys with large numbers of synths manage your sessions without feeling overwhelmed.
My collection is not too big compared to others listed. Nevertheless, I only have 5 to 7 synths/romplers setup at one time in my studio. I prefer to swap instruments regularly to keep things interesting, but limit the number of options in use.

I would assume that others, but not all, implement a similar workflow.
Old 18th August 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Analog/

Sequential Prophet 6
Artisan Trentassette
Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900

Digital/

Teenage Engineering OPZ
Elektron Digitakt
Boss RC202

I have weeded it down to these few that I love although I will buy a new romper at some point, I'm hoping something new comes along but if not I will buy an integra or decibell.
Old 18th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxH003 View Post
My collection is not too big compared to others listed. Nevertheless, I only have 5 to 7 synths/romplers setup at one time in my studio. I prefer to swap instruments regularly to keep things interesting, but limit the number of options in use.

I would assume that others, but not all, implement a similar workflow.
Thats pretty much what I do...Ive got a decent sized room so I can have more synths "wired", but really its a matter of picking out what youre going to use. If I didnt have the space Id just trim the herd down to 5 or 6...most of the monos would be gone, they might still...the boog/erebus and Pro 2 cover every mono sound Ill ever need
Old 18th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
The JD Xi has both a digital and an analog synth engine. The analog one is only for one part.
One of the "toys" I regret selling, great synth...I wish they did a module, but of course they never will. The drum section is sooo underrated...
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I have cookies
Well why didn’t you say so?! All’s forgiven!
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Analog :
Elektron Analog 4
Roland SE-02
(Used to also have (since living in Canada) an MS20, Telemark, Leipzig & Little Phatty)

Hybrid :
Roland JD-XA

Digital :
Elektron Monomachine
Elektron Digitone
Yamaha TX81z
E-Mu Audity 2000
V-Synth V2.0 (with a pretty extensive custom library (much of it based around older analog synths I have sampled and then sold) and the VL-1 D50 Card)
Korg RADIAS
Roland TR8S
Roland 2xSH01a

Torn between adding a Alpha Juno 2, Deepmind 12D or Korg Minilogue XD Module at the moment.
Old 18th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Well why didn’t you say so?! All’s forgiven!
Just make sure you tell a friend where you are going that night
Old 18th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
Analog :
Elektron Analog 4
Roland SE-02
(Used to also have (since living in Canada) an MS20, Telemark, Leipzig & Little Phatty)

Hybrid :
Roland JD-XA

Digital :
Elektron Monomachine
Elektron Digitone
Yamaha TX81z
E-Mu Audity 2000
V-Synth V2.0 (with a pretty extensive custom library (much of it based around older analog synths I have sampled and then sold) and the VL-1 D50 Card)
Korg RADIAS
Roland TR8S
Roland 2xSH01a

Effects:
Ensoniq DP-4
Boss RV-500
Boss DD-700

Mixer Digital:
Yamaha O1v

Audio Units:
U-He ACE
Madronna Labs Aalto
NI Reaktor 6
NI Absynth
Vember Audio Serge

Other:
VCV Rack

Torn between adding a Alpha Juno 2, Deepmind 12D or Korg Minilogue XD Module at the moment.
AJ2...what a great cheap synth...I was saying how I prefer its tone to many Rolands that Ive tried, that I could even get passable 60 patches and was laughed at by someone in here...truth is you can, for the $$$ no brainer plus hoover "I'm bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher, In other words sucker there is no other"

Id guess your preference would be more digital as theres so much movement in your XA patches
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
AJ2...what a great cheap synth...I was saying how I prefer its tone to many Rolands that Ive tried, that I could even get passable 60 patches and was laughed at by someone in here...truth is you can, for the $$$ no brainer plus hoover "I'm bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher, In other words sucker there is no other"

Id guess your preference would be more digital as theres so much movement in your XA patches
I'd still kill for a Sequential OB-6 or a Vermona Perfourmer truth be told but I can sample what analog/hybrid gear I have and use it within Reaktor and VCV rack and U-He's ACE take up the slack.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Addict

For me the things I prefer to be analog:

Phaser
Delay
Reverb
Monosynth
Filters on polysynths
Recording medium

Things I like to be digital:
Wavetable style oscillators
Samplers
Reverb
But crusher/sample rate reduction

Overall I think FX might really be the thing that benefits most from having analog. If you have a handful of nice analog fx and especially if you’re recording to an analog medium, the rest can be digital totally and it probably wouldn’t make a ton of difference.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
The JD Xi has both a digital and an analog synth engine. The analog one is only for one part.

I know. I have a JD Xi. But many times on these forums, I see people mention it has “two digital synth parts” when it’s really just a large handful of soundbanks, and copied into another save file within the same hardware. In fact, outside of the sequencer, both engines work separately from each other, but are identical. If it was two different engines, like Supernatural and ACB, then it could be considered “two synth parts”.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I am 100% Digital now and couldn't be happier. It's all Roland Romplers from the 1990s and Yamaha FM from the 1980s.
My setup was very similar until the past few years. I must admit that I miss some of the romplers that I sold, especially a fully loaded EMU Proteus 2500. Overall, the romplers from the 90's era are very underrated in modern-day setups.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

JD-Xi basically has three synth engines because its digital synth consists of both a rompler engine AND an analog modeling VA. These engines share envelopes, LFOs and filters but do not generate the waves the same way, e.g. you can do pulzewidth modulations with the VA pulze waveform but not the PCMs.

However, it is not really worth debating, so I have just changed my OP to include a Hybrid category instead of chopping up the JD-Xi.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

The least-surprising results ever:

Analogue - 5

Arturia Minibrute SE
DSI OB6
Korg Mono/Poly
Korg Monotribe
Yamaha ED10

Hybrid - 3

104HP 6U Eurorack
Casio FZ1
Casio HT6000

Digital - 24

Alesis Fusion 6HD
EMU Ultraproteus
Ensoniq EPS16+
Ensoniq VFX SD II
Kawai K1, K11, K4
Kawai XD5
Korg Volca Sample
Korg 01w Pro
Kurzweil K2000R
Nord G1 Keyboard
Roland D5
Roland MC307
Roland Vsynth 2.0
Technics WSA1 (+Dance Card)
Use Audio Plugiator
Waldorf Microwave II
Yamaha AN1x
Yamaha DX7 mk1
Yamaha EX7
Yamaha RY30
Yamaha TG33
Yamaha TG77

Various home keyboards, IPad synths in a dock. Looking at getting another nice Hybrid next (DSS1) a different flavour of analogue (Mopho X4) and another couple of digital bits (EMU 2500, Korg R3) and then maybe get something by Gotharman.

Edit: I also use a lot of vintage computer hardware, Amiga/C64/Spectrum/PC Win95.

Last edited by xanderbeanz; 18th August 2019 at 09:13 AM..
Old 18th August 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

mine is way more modest

analog

Korg Prologue 16
DSI Prophet Rev2 16
Behringer VC340
Behringer Odyssey (ordered)
Minimoog Voyager OS
2x Eurorack 104HP 9U

digital

EMU Morpheus
EMU EXIIIP
GSi Gemini

And a couple of mac laptops, raspberry pi,
where I only use Csound, a sound and music computing system I co-develop and co-maintain. The reason I have no interest in VAs or softsynths is because I can write my own.
Old 18th August 2019
analog:

Behringer DeepMind 12D.
Behringer Neutron.
DSI Mopho x4.
DSI OB-6 keyboard.
Moog Little Phatty Stage II.
Moog Slim Phatty x4 (polychained).
Sequential Prophet-6 keyboard.
Studio Electronics SE-1.

Favorites: OB-6, DeepMind 12D/Neutron, Moog Little/Slim Phatties. The OB-6's state-variable filter and X-mod rule, and the Behringer stuff sounds exceedingly good. I really caught the analog-bug after joining GS, and though my "final" synth purchase, the Quantum, is very digital, it complements true-analogs very nicely; plus, it's one helluva samplers' tool. But, I confess: Overall, I prefer the sounds of my analog machines over my digital ones (e.g., my least-favorite synth is probably my System-8).

digital:

Access VirusTI Polar.
Korg Kronos Platinum.
Korg Radias.
Roland Fantom-XR.
Roland Integra-7.
Roland System-1m.
Roland System-8.
Roland V-Synth GT.
Sequential Prophet-X.
Waldorf Quantum.
Yamaha AN200.
Yamaha FS1R.
Yamaha Montage 7.

Favorites: Prophet-X, Quantum, VirusTI, AN200, FS1R (for formants). The Virus' sounds are still very much loved and tough to beat. The AN200 just sounds great and its unique "morph" pot is super-fun. The FS1R's formant patches are just unreal-enough to sound utterly other-worldly.

I began my synth-buying journey with a bit of a ROMpler-fetish (I had to get all three): All three ROMplers (Kronos, Integra, Montage) are excellent at what they do, and each have their particular strengths—I also use the Prophet-X mainly as a ROMpler for its superb acoustic samples.

Although I prefer the raw sounds of analog, of course, I own both. The glassy-metallic timbres of the Montage, the samples-plus-synthesis-plus-stereo filter magic of the Prophet-X, and the massive walls-of-sound of the Kronos' and Integra's VA-pads provide a pretty vast palette of sonic contrasts and sound-design options.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Tetra's not really a monosynth.
it is on outputs 3 & 4 which do have proper monophonic amps with no headroom (unlike outputs 1 & 2) and always output individual voices 3 & 4 respectively, regardless of used mode (duo, poly, etc).
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I prefer analogue, purely because the music I make now lends itself to their sound, Id use plugs if I was ITB but Ive moved to completely hardware almost other than mixing/mastering and a couple of fx I have no hardware version.

Prologue
MS20 mini
Karp
Monologue
Alpha Juno 2
JX8P
JDXA
JV1080
P08
Pro 2
OB6
Microfreak
Erebus
Manther
VC340
Deepmind12
Neutron
Boog
Circuit Mono Station

So a mixed bag. Just sold an FA, S8, R8, Machinedrum, and Vermona DRM Mk3, and bought four compressors. All drums are covered by my MPC Live now. Thats one area I find analogue totally overrated.
Tsk, tsk, tsk You are obviously trying to fool us by this arbitrary list of crimes, but I see a clear tendency. You will be judged accordingly.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear
I've had and have both... and as time goes by I don't really care. I just want whatever I use to be inspiring and to be as convenient as possible to play and tweak.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
What I think is that people who use all sorts of hardware and software instruments are the best slutz of all.
AHA! So that shall be your defence? You think that a real gearslut has to use software, that everyone should be a gearslut, and therefore you have no digital hardware synths? Interesting circumstance.

Quote:
that’s a story for another forum.
No, that will not do. Everything you say can and will be used against you.

Secretary; will you note that the defendant obviously suffers from delusions, and that we may be dealing with a case prone to treatment and not punishment?
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Nut
I am an analogue guy 100%.

My synths:

TX7
DX7

Yes, they are digital but my music is analogue. My playing is analogue. My approach is analogue. And these synths sound bad ass analogue too if I want them to. I don't really like digital, except for FM, old Lexicon and Eventide.

Why no analogue synths? Because the good ones take time to save up for and the digital ones I have out-analogue the cheaper analogues.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Nut
This really turned into a “post your gear” thread, eh?
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho
Yes, but this thread is more dangerous. Not as much as "post your behringers", though.
Old 18th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
Inevitably they all are
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Addict

Analog:

Korg Monotron Duo (cv/gate mod)
Rakit Baby 8 & Drum Synth

Digital:

Korg MS2000R
Digitakt

The MS2000R does have a flatness compared to the Monotron Duo. The Duo’s X-mod is really crazy sounding, I don’t think it can be reproduced by a VA. The MS2000R works great for synth drums sequenced by the Digitakt.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

As if we need the internet to remind us there are real sickos out there (soon to be deleted post above).

I won’t list, but of course like most here I enjoy both. I don’t really distinguish between hardware, software, analogue, digital, normalized or modular, small developers or large; if it sounds good and is fun for me to use, well that’s all I need.

In stressful times of my life when I’ve thought about selling it all off due to family needs, even that thought hasn’t bothered me, as I can be happy as a clam with even the least synth.

I guess that all excludes me from being a real Gearslut, as I don’t have the requisite fussiness and temperament to complain about everything on every instrument out there.

I also enjoy great literature and trash horror novels, meditative films and summer blockbusters, high art and animé, philosophy and Ars Technica.

I enjoy messing with people, too, so there’s that; no-one is perfect.

I just never could take anything that seriously, it’s odd.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Total meltdow...amazing that getting banned from a message board can fck someone up so much.

Take it easy, its not like you achieve anything in here except wind yourself up more. Incels are crazy.

Peace
Cant believe I missed the kooky fun.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Analog

Doepfer Dark Energy MK1
Grendel Drone commander
Grendel Drone commander pedal
Moog little phatty stage II
Arturia Microbrute
Arturia Matrixbrute
Karp Odyssey
Elektron Analog 4 MK1
Studio Electronics SE1-X
Dreadbox Abyss
Vermona Perfourmer MKII

Digital

Access Virus C
Korg MS2000B
Korg Micro XL
Elektron Digitakt
Elektron Digitone
Yamaha Reface CS/CP/DX
Yamaha VSS 30 & VSS 200

I have a wall of Eurorack that lives happily in the realms of digital & Analog no snobbery there.

My next synth will either be a Dreadbox NYX MKII or a Waldorf Kyra, love the latest kyra demos I’d be buying it simply for pads/strings.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Addict

Mostly analog instruments, and mostly analog effects.

The digital stuff I do have is great though. I just prefer prioritising analog, generally speaking. For my purposes; each to their own.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Total meltdow...amazing that getting banned from a message board can fck someone up so much.

Take it easy, its not like you achieve anything in here except wind yourself up more. Incels are crazy.

Peace
Whut? Is someone nasty around this thread?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search