The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ridiculously high priced Gear
Old 26th August 2019
Been reading about the history of the Fairchild 660 and 670. Now I have to reverse myself...(I'm eating crow over here). I would surely give $10,500 for an original working 670. Of course there's not one on the planet for that cheap. Here's one that was a steal at $44,000 https://www.analoguetube.com/single-...For-Sale-44000 . I don't want one that bad. legend is there is a very rich guy in Atlanta that has several 670s. I saw a picture once somewhere.
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Been reading about the history of the Fairchild 660 and 670. Now I have to reverse myself...(I'm eating crow over here). I would surely give $10,500 for an original working 670. Of course there's not one on the planet for that cheap. Here's one that was a steal at $44,000 https://www.analoguetube.com/single-...For-Sale-44000 . I don't want one that bad. legend is there is a very rich guy in Atlanta that has several 670s. I saw a picture once somewhere.
but really, isn't the value of "that bad" simply a combination of how good you think it sounds and how much disposable income you've got?

That very rich guy in Atlanta may have spent $44,000 on new leather for the seats in his private jet. It's pin money for him.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Good point and it´s quite interesting that the tolerance for luxury bling bling seems to be much higher than for high cost components that actually DO something qualitywise.

Is gold even the best material for a car bumper or grill ? Not sure about that.
Do leather seats make a private jet fly any better ? Certainly not.
You can buy a 1Million $ diamond stuffed iphone but does that make your phone calls any better ?
If JayZ wants a massive gold plate for his Avalon...

yeah if they have the money - whatever floats their boat.

Now if Neumann would take every effort to put the VF14 back into production and company X says yeah we´ll do it for 1 Million and Neumann would price an U47 reissue accordingly the very first question would be - are they out of their freakin minds ??
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
yeah if they have the money - whatever floats their boat.
I filled up my swimming pool with 100,000 bottles of Dom Perignon champagne to float my boat
Old 29th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I filled up my swimming pool with 100,000 bottles of Dom Perignon champagne to float my boat
I want an RNC with a 14 Karat gold case and 1 carot diamonds attached to the front of the knobs. Then I could really compress stuff and impress clients.
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Really expensive but really effective compressor

Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Analog?
Chris
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I want an RNC with a 14 Karat gold case and 1 carot diamonds attached to the front of the knobs. Then I could really compress stuff and impress clients.
You must be (bad) joking, because we already know you wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a compressor.
But hey, your spelling flexibility is an impressive thing in its own right.
Old 30th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
You must be (bad) joking, because we already know you wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a compressor.
But hey, your spelling flexibility is an impressive thing in its own right.
No, I'm serious. Of course I was joking. Dah. Spelling flexibility? Thanks for pointing that out Mr English Professor.
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Well I want a duplicate, of the Gold plated Caddy of Isaac Hayes, the one in the Stax Museum. Why? It can become an ultra-cool mobile recording vehicle.
And... It would attract all the top Rap and Hip Hop artists, in fact I'd probably need a fleet of them. (Now how many C800G's, U87's, 737's and SM7's will I need?)

They say this Land Yacht is one bad mother (shut your mouth). I'm just talking about Class...
Chris

P.S. If Bushman is The Professor, I get to be Gilligan. (now where's my Mary Ann?)
But then who's The Skipper here? joeq?
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Well I want a duplicate, of the Gold plated Caddy of Isaac Hayes, the one in the Stax Museum. Why? It can become an ultra-cool mobile recording vehicle.
And... It would attract all the top Rap and Hip Hop artists, in fact I'd probably need a fleet of them. (Now how many C800G's, U87's, 737's and SM7's will I need?)

They say this Land Yacht is one bad mother (shut your mouth). I'm just talking about Class...
Chris

P.S. If Bushman is The Professor, I get to be Gilligan. (now where's my Mary Ann?)
PLEASE pick Bruce Swedien for the skipper.
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Spelling flexibility? Thanks for pointing that out Mr English Professor.
De nada... always trying to help!
Fortunately, most spelling accidents don’t cause fatalities.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear
This thread is pure gold. I can't believe what it turned into at some points, though I've made my contributions there lol.

I plan on purchasing a Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet some time. I'll report back with my findings. Hopefully that's not too low-end for some of you high-end guys.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

We'l still pass you the Grey Poupon...IF you say please first.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Nut

Ultimately, I'd take cheap gear with great musicians/song as oppose to great gear and crappy musicians/song. I'd work with all Beheringer gear if that's what it took to get Earth Wind and Fire in the tracking room. Unfortunately, that's not found on any great artist's rider lmao.
Old 5th September 2019
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by camacozie View Post
Ultimately, I'd take cheap gear with great musicians/song as oppose to great gear and crappy musicians/song. I'd work with all Beheringer gear if that's what it took to get Earth Wind and Fire in the tracking room. Unfortunately, that's not found on any great artist's rider lmao.
That’s a revelation.

Not really - but it’s never an either/or choice. As it gets tiring to point out, as an engineer you often don’t get to dictate the talent, you’re there to engineer.

So let’s assume the talent is at least passable since we don’t have any control over that, and let’s assume the traffic was ok so we got to the session on time, and that the intern didn’t mess up the coffee order...and let’s talk about gear?
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Yes and try to get Itzhak Perlman to play a Zimo violin, while your at it.
Chris
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut

I guess my point is - as I'm sure you'll all agree - any engineer worth their salt ought to be able to get a great recording out of a great artist no matter what equipment was available to them. Sticking with the Earth Wind and Fire reference, it matters not what preamp you use, it's going to sound great.

Great gear is great. LOVE great gear. But it's all for nothing if the artist or song is crap. The harsh reality I'm sure I didn't need bother even posting.

Apologies for being off topic. Back to the Fairchilds!
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

I remember a top notch AE/Producer saying once "how wrong", an original C12(!) was for Smokey's voice.
Chris
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ultimately, I'd take cheap gear with great musicians/song as oppose to great gear and crappy musicians/song.
As long as we are choosing, ultimately I'll take great gear and great musicians with a great song.

Or is there some kind of law of physics that says great gear cannot exist in the same space as great music? I have heard this old refrain for so long, it sure seems like crappy gear must have some magical music-enhancing properties.

Quote:
I'd work with all Beheringer gear if that's what it took to get Earth Wind and Fire in the tracking room.
You mean like if studio bookings were handed out by an evil Genie with a sharp sense of irony? "You get to record Earth Wind and Fire!... but BWAH HAH HAH HAH - you have to do it with all cheap gear!"

Meanwhile, you might actually have a chance to lure them in if you had world-class gear.
Quote:
Unfortunately, that's not found on any great artist's rider lmao.
I wonder why not? Don't they realize how much better their songs will become when cheap gear is present?
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post

I feel more like that pilot who was always crash landing on the island. Wrong-Way Feldman. Either him or the monkey who was throwing explosives.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
You mean like if studio bookings were handed out by an evil Genie with a sharp sense of irony? "You get to record Earth Wind and Fire!... but BWAH HAH HAH HAH - you have to do it with all cheap gear!"
Somewhere, there is a parallel universe where Behringer is what Electric Lady, Sunset Sound, and Abbey Road are all installing in their studios.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Somewhere, there is a parallel universe where Behringer is what Electric Lady, Sunset Sound, and Abbey Road are all installing in their studios.
That would be trippy, wouldn't it?! Lmfao!

Imagine a world where Behringer and Mackie are considered premium audio gear, while Neve, API, Neumann, Cranesong, ATC, Barefoot and myriad others are low-end, and are oftentimes the targets of verbal assault criticising their shoddy equipment and copy-theft practices. Imagine Behringer suing Neve for copying their design, and winning! WOW! That's some twilight zone ish!
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post

Imagine a world where Behringer and Mackie are considered premium audio gear, while Neve, API, Neumann, Cranesong, ATC, Barefoot and myriad others are low-end, ..
If Neve, API, et all were low end, they would be cheaper and their sound would be inferior and the other stuff would sound better and cost more and so the only thing that would end up being "switched" would be the names.

Bizarro Superman cries when he is happy, but if he was fully "opposite", he would only be made "happy" by bad things happening to him. And so, he would appear to be 100% normal to us.

Except for that quartz-face thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridiculously high priced Gear-screen-shot-2019-09-05-6.05.59-pm.png  
Old 6th September 2019
Quote:
I guess my point is - as I'm sure you'll all agree - any engineer worth their salt ought to be able to get a great recording out of a great artist no matter what equipment was available to them. Sticking with the Earth Wind and Fire reference, it matters not what preamp you use, it's going to sound great.

Great gear is great. LOVE great gear. But it's all for nothing if the artist or song is crap. The harsh reality I'm sure I didn't need bother even posting.

Apologies for being off topic. Back to the Fairchilds!
Yes. And what also doesn’t need to be said is that the recording will be BETTER with more appropriate gear.

It doesn’t ever need to be said really, but someone always feels the need to mention it, you’re certainly not alone there

It’s also true that it’s possible to screw up a great song played by great musicians to the point of unlistenability, but arguably that’s rarely the fault of the gear.

I would also argue a great producer/engineer with the tools they’re comfortable with can go a long way towards making a poor performance good, or a weak arrangement stronger. It might never hit the heights of the best of the best, but you can do a lot to improve material, and more than a few hits have been crafted that way.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Imagine a world where Behringer and Mackie are considered premium audio gear, while Neve, API, Neumann, Cranesong, ATC, Barefoot and myriad others are low-end, and are oftentimes the targets of verbal assault criticising their shoddy equipment and copy-theft practices. Imagine Behringer suing Neve for copying their design, and winning! WOW! That's some twilight zone ish!
It's already here, at Gearslutz. There's a signpost up ahead...
It's called the Low End Forum!
Chris
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear
For guys who either make music or help engineer the sound, some of you really lack imagination.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
For guys who either make music or help engineer the sound, some of you really lack imagination.
Well, Good Morning to you, too!
Care to elaborate? You know, flesh out your idea, so to speak. That's kind of painting with a broad brush.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

"Why do they keep using these ridiculously expensive, crappy Jensen transformers?! It's too fat; we demand thin!"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search