The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The music game isn't gonna be respected until everyone has the same chance.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Head

The music game isn't gonna be respected until everyone has the same chance.

To get a top 40 sound you need gear. period.

To compete with the top 40. You NEED expensive gear & an expensive acoustic environment. Show me a top 40 song made on a scarlet solo and a rode nt1 or anything that wasn't made on a $10,000-$100,000+ setup in this last decade or hell since the year 2000.

The goal should be whether you are a beginner or a pro is to make money from music. Not get a pat on the back from friends and your mother and turn a few heads because it sounds decent or better than what an absolute beginner would produce. If you are going to spend money make sure it can bring you closer to a top 40 sound because those are the ONLY people making money. PERIOD.
Competing with the top 40 should be the goal from the start of your career to the finish!

The people who are successful in the music industry consist of four types of people.

-Privileged rich kids (major labels) disguising they are not
-Friends of privileged rich kids (major labels) who may get signed disguising they are not
-Drug dealers
-Friends of drug dealers.

Those are the only people that can afford the gear not even to mention the marketing etc....

Then every now and then one of regular normal people like us slips in and gets in one of there circles.

This game is bs if you ask me. You telling me the only way I can get a top 40 sound, compete, and make money off my music is to get lucky and network my way into a rich circle or start selling drugs or go into debt for audio equipment (that will only be one of the many expensive gear pieces I need anyways)?!

99% of people in this country especially at the age of 18-27 cannot afford the gear that is necessary to compete with the people in the top 40.

It's not like the common person can just consistently book studio time either. Studios that have great gear and know what they are doing and are plugged in the circle are often hard to find not to mention the $1,000-$4,000 rate they charge for projects....

If you think about it the music industry is missing out on so many greats. We are only hearing the ideas of the people who are willing risk their freedom and potentially hurt others (drug dealers) and privileged kids (who aren't like the majority of the people they are making music for and about.)

Because they are the only people who can afford it.

They flaunt their money they made off of us in which they off of us by getting us to buy into the false dreams they sell to us. While simultaneously poising the minds of regular men and women like us getting us to look down at each other for not being like them and what ever other ideology they mainstream.

The NBA and NFL is respected because no matter where you come from. EVERYONE for the most part has the same chance to get on that field and compete.

The music game is pay to play. I can't respect that. Yes the top 40 artist are good. But look at all the money and gear they have compared to the average person. That isn't fair. For all I know there is someone out there that if given the same gear and had exactly what they had they would produce something that blows all these guys out the waters. Hell if they spent $10,000-$100,000 and they didn't make something that was amazing it would be embarrassing tbh....

I believe this even more listening to mainstream music and production these days because it isn't even good compared to what it was years ago. It's all just high fidelity and clean sounding crafted with the best gear and most expensive rooms on the planet so of course it is going to sound good.

What I am saying is the song creation lyric writing and production process is the only thing that should separate one another when potential fans listen. Not the sonic characteristics and quality. To get a top 40 sound with the best outboard, ssl, and mics should not cost as much as it does. It shouldn't be out the hands of less fortunate people. It isn't right.
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=SYXCKO;14135853]To get a top 40 sound you need gear. period.

To compete with the top 40. You NEED expensive gear & an expensive acoustic environment. Show me a top 40 song made on a scarlet solo and a rode nt1 or anything that wasn't made on a $10,000-$100,000+ setup in this last decade or hell since the year 2000.

and etc etc etc

There are a millions ways to make a good living in music that have nothing to do with the "top 40".

Here are my suggestions:
1. Stop trying to be an overnight success.
2. Practice. I have practiced 3-5 hours a day since I was 12. Music is hard work.
3. Doing number 2 is the equalizer you seek.
4. Grow up.

Sorry number 4 seems harsh, but life is life. Not everybody makes it. And I dont know ANYONE who has made it without working their ass off.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Head

[QUOTE=pennycoolstudios;14136032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYXCKO View Post

and etc etc etc

There are a millions ways to make a good living in music that have nothing to do with the "top 40".

Here are my suggestions:
1. Stop trying to be an overnight success.
2. Practice. I have practiced 3-5 hours a day since I was 12. Music is hard work.
3. Doing number 2 is the equalizer you seek.
4. Grow up.

Sorry number 4 seems harsh, but life is life. Not everybody makes it. And I dont know ANYONE who has made it without working their ass off.

You don't know even know me. How do you know how much I practice? and how is that relevant to what I typed? You seem to didn't read or missed the entire point of what I said. Only a fool would be mad at the change I hope to see.... wow I recommend a more affordable solution to acquiring pro audio to get closer sonically to what they use via the top 40 & I get attacked by probably the same privileged rich kid i am talking about in the post. LOL
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
To get a top 40 sound you need gear. period. (...) What I am saying is the song creation lyric writing and production process is the only thing that should separate one another when potential fans listen. Not the sonic characteristics and quality. To get a top 40 sound with the best outboard, ssl, and mics should not cost as much as it does. It shouldn't be out the hands of less fortunate people. It isn't right. (...) 99% of people in this country especially at the age of 18-27 cannot afford the gear that is necessary to compete with the people in the top 40.
I'm sorry, but accusing other people to be responsible for your own situation is not very relevant. You don't need 10K$ gear to sound like a top 40 song, especially in our VST era. If you know how to compose great melodies and chords on top of an efficient structure, then you are already competing against Top 40 tracks. The only thing you may miss is a perfect mix and a top-class mastering to sound loud & proud. Fortunately, anyone can nail a great mixdown with any DAW nowadays. A good mastering engineer will then charge $50 per stereo file, or 150$ for a stem mastering. It costs money, indeed, however, I'm not sure such an expense could be considered as the exclusive domain of "rich kids and drug dealers".

Quote:
Show me a top 40 song made on a scarlet solo and a rode nt1 or anything that wasn't made on a $10,000-$100,000+ setup in this last decade or hell since the year 2000.
90% of electronic & urban songs. Many pop tunes are also made with a macbook and vst. Some of these tracks still required a high-budget, but only because of the top producers /session vocalist, etc involved. If you are the producer/singer, then the cost is zero (apart from the mastering of course).

Furthermore, 80% of Top 40 tracks have nothing to do with musical genius. It's only the same 4 chords in a loop, a very simple beat a 5 notes max melody. Anyone can compete with that.

Quote:
The goal should be whether you are a beginner or a pro is to make money from music.(...) Competing with the top 40 should be the goal from the start of your career to the finish!
If you want to make a lot of money, learn computer programming and create your own company. I'm afraid you may have a lot of difficulties to reach the Top 40 with such a mentality: "screw music, love cash". Most of the people you see in the rankings are here because they already have a fanbase. Any crap song they make will be heard by millions of people in less than two hours, and everyone will praise them for their "masterpiece". If you want to reach this level, you need to develop your own sound, play live, and get your own fanbase, this way, labels will notice you (like any investor, they don't care about your product, they care about people's love for your product). Then, you will have the possibility to make your way through the top. Producing clones of popular pop tunes will lead you nowhere. 40.000 tracks are uploaded on Spotify each day. Why would people listen to a guy who does the exact same thing than their favorite band? Please, forget your cash & celebrity fantaisies, find your own sound, and play music with passion. This is probably your best shot to succeed.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
What a total load of tripe this post is. So many reasoning flaws that it’s not worth even beginning. It’s only fair if everyone gets given a Neve console for their 18th bday by the state I reckon then it’s an even playing field. The same is true for movie making. Give everyone a movie studio and staff.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Most of the the “top 40” is done by folks who got their break working off a cheap PC laptop and a cracked version of Fruity Loops. They still work off a laptop and Fruity Loops (or Logic for $199) even though they are in the game.

I’ve known tons of NBA/NFL athletes, Actors, “Drug Dealers”, “Rich kids” who pumped serious money into gear, studios, record labels. They all fall flat and turn out to be glorified hang out hobby spots that suck up money. Gear doesn’t equal talent. Never has. Even when these guys pay for great production and features it doesn’t work.

Talent, determination, and networking is what it takes. Most are just not as talented as they think they are. And just about all are not as determined as they need to be. Especially when they already have $, or on the other end of the spectrum, are working a 9 to 5 and supporting a family.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Music is not a f*****g "game".
Old 7th August 2019
Hey SYXCKO! Welcome to Gearslutz

Great to hear your opinion; lots of great points and facts.

Your post covers some of the same ground as the Mixerman book Musician's Survival Guide To A Killer Record; I bought a copy and reviewed it here.

It's good to be aware of the landscape and tools needed to realistically create a successful product; probably a different mindset for hobbyists - but still the goal of top-quality sound to aim for (despite the limitations).

Best, Arthur
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Tools for making music are more affordable than ever. Being in the right place at the right time + being prepared is what its about imo.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Nut
You whine and complain about the music industry, and in the same breath exult the NFL/NBA.

Until there is a midget playing center, we should not be respecting the NBA or any of these other non-inclusive sports!

/s
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

Check out this guy: https://serbanghenea.com/

Serban is by far the top mixer in the world. (There are weeks and weeks that go by in which every Nr 1 single was mixed by him. His longest Nr 1 streak was 5 months I believe). He is 100% in the box. I'm sure his studio has nice acoustics and monitoring but other than that, everyone has access to the exact same (or very similar) tools to him.

Here is another example: The current Nr 1 in the top 100 Billboard chart, Old Town Road, (for 17 consecutive weeks, the longest Nr1 in history btw), was produced in Fruity Loops by a Dutch 19 year old kid (YoungKio) in his bedroom. (And Little Nas X bought the beat for $30. Hah!)

In other words, there really are no excuses.

Alistair
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

The goal should be whether you are a beginner or a pro is to make money from music. Not get a pat on the back from friends and your mother and turn a few heads because it sounds decent or better than what an absolute beginner would produce. If you are going to spend money make sure it can bring you closer to a top 40 sound because those are the ONLY people making money. PERIOD.
Competing with the top 40 should be the goal from the start of your career to the finish!

The people who are successful in the music industry consist of four types of people.

-Privileged rich kids (major labels) disguising they are not
-Friends of privileged rich kids (major labels) who may get signed disguising they are not
-Drug dealers
-Friends of drug dealers.

Those are the only people that can afford the gear not even to mention the marketing etc....

Then every now and then one of regular normal people like us slips in and gets in one of there circles.

This game is bs if you ask me. You telling me the only way I can get a top 40 sound, compete, and make money off my music is to get lucky and network my way into a rich circle or start selling drugs or go into debt for audio equipment (that will only be one of the many expensive gear pieces I need anyways)?!

99% of people in this country especially at the age of 18-27 cannot afford the gear that is necessary to compete with the people in the top 40.

It's not like the common person can just consistently book studio time either. Studios that have great gear and know what they are doing and are plugged in the circle are often hard to find not to mention the $1,000-$4,000 rate they charge for projects....

If you think about it the music industry is missing out on so many greats. We are only hearing the ideas of the people who are willing risk their freedom and potentially hurt others (drug dealers) and privileged kids (who aren't like the majority of the people they are making music for and about.)

Because they are the only people who can afford it.

They flaunt their money they made off of us in which they off of us by getting us to buy into the false dreams they sell to us. While simultaneously poising the minds of regular men and women like us getting us to look down at each other for not being like them and what ever other ideology they mainstream.

The NBA and NFL is respected because no matter where you come from. EVERYONE for the most part has the same chance to get on that field and compete.

The music game is pay to play. I can't respect that. Yes the top 40 artist are good. But look at all the money and gear they have compared to the average person. That isn't fair. For all I know there is someone out there that if given the same gear and had exactly what they had they would produce something that blows all these guys out the waters. Hell if they spent $10,000-$100,000 and they didn't make something that was amazing it would be embarrassing tbh....

I believe this even more listing to mainstream music and production these days because it isn't even good compared to what it was years ago. It's all just high fidelity and clean sounding crafted with the best gear and most expensive rooms on the planet so of course it is going to sound good.

What I am saying is the song creation lyric writing and production process is the only thing that should separate one another when potential fans listen. Not the sonic characteristics and quality. To get a top 40 sound with the best outboard, ssl, and mics should not cost as much as it does. It shouldn't be out the hands of less fortunate people. It isn't right.
The life game is pay to play. The NFL/NBA is a small band of people, so I wouldn't make that my example of opportunity.. You can study Finance at your local community college and have a 4.0, but it won't be worth the same as going to Wharton.

The game aint fair. But you have to get you a piece. It does take some gear to get in the game, but the barriers to entry are much lower now than they've ever been. You have choices, you can team up with like minds, save for a few years and practice/perfect your musicianship in the meantime, while you enjoy the journey, or you can complain and have the years go by with you in the same place later.

The game is like a talent show that's fixed. You have to discover how to become the one it's fixed for.

As far as music technology goes, buy whatever was used to make records 10 years ago. It won't give you the latest/greatest stuff, but you should get pro results out of gear that was used for pro results, if you have the skills.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear

I believe respect is given toward the authenticity of the individual and how he performs his craft. Its not always the entire music industry, but merely just the reflection of ones self that seems disrespected. I hope you find the meaning in creating music like I was fortunate enough to find, and it was not at the end of a rainbow. Cheers!
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

no one can show me a top 40 song that was made with a rode and scarlet solo tho.... you all are making up excuses about the reality of the biz. if you not recording with a sony c800g (10,000) mic + 4,000 pre amp and other expensive gear and room + money for promo then honestly you should spend all your time on reaching out to rich kids and hopefully network with them cause you aren't gonna have enough money to make a great product and compete with the big boys.... you can know all the mixing knowledge in the world you still need money for good gear to track vocals....etc.. it's the harsh truth and should be told to beginning engineers so they don't waste their time.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Check out this guy: https://serbanghenea.com/

Serban is by far the top mixer in the world. (There are weeks and weeks that go by in which every Nr 1 single was mixed by him. His longest Nr 1 streak was 5 months I believe). He is 100% in the box. I'm sure his studio has nice acoustics and monitoring but other than that, everyone has access to the exact same (or very similar) tools to him.

Here is another example: The current Nr 1 in the top 100 Billboard chart, Old Town Road, (for 17 consecutive weeks, the longest Nr1 in history btw), was produced in Fruity Loops by a Dutch 19 year old kid (YoungKio) in his bedroom. (And Little Nas X bought the beat for $30. Hah!)

In other words, there really are no excuses.

Alistair
The lil nas song the world heard was NOT mixed in a bedroom....

---> https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...-old-town-road

and the vocals aka the most important aspect of any song was record in a expensive studio with a expensive setup....

and serban receives tracks that are recorded with very expensive gear and I doubt he doesn't have any expensive gear he uses himself....
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
The lil nas song the world heard was NOT mixed in a bedroom....

---> https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...-old-town-road
"The song started to create a stir online, and by March, Lil Nas X had signed to Columbia, who took over the song's distribution"

Only AFTER Old Town Road had already gone viral did Columbia step in and start investing money but it cost close to nothing to start the ball rolling.

Quote:
and the vocals aka the most important aspect of any song was record in a expensive studio with a expensive setup....
Only AFTER it was already successful. Anyone can make a track in Fruity, hire a studio for an hour to record vocals and publish. Stop inventing excuses for yourself.

Quote:
and serban receives tracks that are recorded with very expensive gear and I doubt he doesn't have any expensive gear he uses himself....
He receives all sorts of stuff but most charting stuff these days has an electronic bed which can be made entirely with plugins. And, no, Serban is fully ITB. You have access to exactly the same plugins as he does.

Alistair
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
"The song started to create a stir online, and by March, Lil Nas X had signed to Columbia, who took over the song's distribution"

Only AFTER Old Town Road had already gone viral did Columbia step in and start investing money but it cost close to nothing to start the ball rolling.

Only AFTER it was already successful. Anyone can make a track in Fruity, hire a studio for an hour to record vocals and publish. Stop inventing excuses for yourself.

He receives all sorts of stuff but most charting stuff these days has an electronic bed which can be made entirely with plugins. And, no, Serban is fully ITB. You have access to exactly the same plugins as he does.

Alistair
Ahh this reminds me of soulja boy. Made on a laptop then re re-recored on $10,000+ gear to THEN be given to the masses..... That song is a meme type of song. Old town road is anomaly. If that is your only example then my point stands proven. Plus he could possibly be a one hit wonder. I'm taking about competing with real top dogs. Drake. J cole. Post Molane. Etc... I was talking about actual longevity success not anomalies.

About serban yea I never said he couldn't optimize what he was given. But his success comes from working with amazing camps signed under labels who can to record and create with expensive gear and rooms... Bruno mars, dr luke, katy perry etc... it's not excuses it's facts. If you want to make a living and compete with the best now and days you need money to buy gear period. You are not competing with cole, drake etc unless you can afford the gear they use.

I'm not knocking their camp's mixing knowledge at ALL. They are the best but their safety net their camp has, is even if we DID know what they know; most people cannot afford even remotely close to the gear needed to create the sound that they make money off of......

Alot of people are selling false dreams and plugins and telling kids " hey you can compete with drake just learn how to mix bro." and people are actually believing it....

Yes a beginner needs to learn how to mix but even if he did know how to mix very well if he doesn't have the appropriate gear. He isn't getting a modern commercial sound. Pros and studios don't spend thousands on these pieces for no reason.
Old 8th August 2019
What about xxxtentacion, peep, smokepurrrp (murda beats),
Metro Boomin, suicide boys, yung lean ....the list is very long!

They had something called attitude/character and a very artsy or non mainstream sound produced on laptops using cheap usb mics n stuff.

The breaktrough singles/songs weren´t even mixed and eeeeeryone wanted to hear them again and again.
(millions of clicks)

I know what you arre trying to say, which is right in a few cases but ppl like skrillex or the producer of lady gaga (forgot his name tbh) were all in the box on laptops when they created their breakthrough sound/tracks.

Nobody cares about perfect quality, the magic of success will never be the gear thats been used in my opinion.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

Also the part about mention how lil nas went back and then paid a studio to mix the record is the bs I am complaining about in the first place. You think he wanted that guy's finger print on his art?

He had no choice. How else would he afford the mics they used and room and gear they used.... ?
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSociety View Post
What about xxxtentacion, peep, smokepurrrp (murda beats),
Metro Boomin, suicide boys, yung lean ....the list is very long!

They had something called attitude/character and a very artsy or non mainstream sound produced on laptops using cheap usb mics n stuff.

The breaktrough singles/songs weren´t even mixed and eeeeeryone wanted to hear them again and again.
(millions of clicks)

I know what you arre trying to say, which is right in a few cases but ppl like skrillex or the producer of lady gaga (forgot his name tbh) were all in the box on laptops when they created their breakthrough sound/tracks.

Nobody cares about perfect quality, the magic of success will never be the gear thats been used in my opinion.
Yea xxx is another anomaly and so is skrillex but their music genre fits how they were making those records. Not every one makes music like that though. Not to mention that when all of those artist got big so they could continue to compete after the newness of them entering the game wore off they all bought and recorded on expensive gear.

If I wanna make a beautiful clean sounding R&B track or pop track, or trap soul etc I should be able to sonically achieve a commercial sound at affordable price. period. I should not have to go pay a studio $1,000 to get it and have another guy's fingerprint on my art. I also should not have to sell a arm and leg or go into debt to afford the gear either. It should be attainable.

SSL's literally cost $100,000+ and The best mics cost $10,000+ ... that is ridiculous and not right...
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

I find it funny how all these people on this site as well as pros who make post like “Gear doesn’t matter” use top of the line gear or aspire mixers who do lol. It’s almost as you all try to self gratify or you all just don't want more people to compete with.
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
I find it funny how all these people on this site as well as pros who make post like “Gear doesn’t matter” use top of the line gear or aspire mixers who do lol. It’s almost as you all try to self gratify or you all just don't want more people to compete with.
That should tell you something; but appearances are deceptive...otherwise the site would be called talentSlutz. Personally I like using the best professional gear in a home studio for non-commercial projects...especially after 10,000 hours.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
That should tell you something; but appearances are deceptive...otherwise the site would be called talentSlutz. Personally I like using the best professional gear in a home studio for non-commercial projects...especially after 10,000 hours.
I would too but I am not fortunate enough to afford it. Even after 10,000 hours. I am not a trust fund baby nor do I sell drugs and I don't know anyone who owns pro gear that is $10,000 +
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
I would too but I am not fortunate enough to afford it. Even after 10,000 hours. I am not a trust fund baby nor do I sell drugs and I don't know anyone who owns pro gear that is $10,000 +
Nor me...I started collecting gear around 1970 and then at slut-level since 2000...one quality item every few years; after 20 years I've got a nice collection of instruments and recording gear...and cables...but still no SSL

For analogue summing I use a DAV mixbus which is super-cheap/effective way of summing 32 channels...cost around 1/100th of an SSL. There's lot's of viable shortcuts to getting a professional-quality sound on a budget discussed here on Gearslutz.

Fact is, pro gear costs, same for most professions/serious hobbies. For cinema/film-making multiply costs by 10; motor-racing by 20. Flying planes. Yachts. I'm sure a lot of successful artists spend more on legal fees than studio time/gear.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Nor me...I started collecting gear around 1970 and then at slut-level since 2000...one quality item every few years; after 20 years I've got a nice collection of instruments and recording gear...and cables...but still no SSL

For analogue summing I use a DAV mixbus which is super-cheap/effective way of summing 32 channels...cost around 1/100th of an SSL. There's lot's of viable shortcuts to getting a professional-quality sound on a budget discussed here on Gearslutz.

Fact is, pro gear costs, same for most professions/serious hobbies. For cinema/film-making multiply costs by 10; motor-racing by 20. Flying planes. Yachts. I'm sure a lot of successful artists spend more on legal fees than studio time/gear.
The difference with movies though is that with $1,000-$4,000 you can buy gear that can get you REALLY good quality. It's not going to be a Arri Alexa but it will be crisp and HD and let your art shine what ever your making.

Literally in the days we live in everyone is listening on headphones so they are hypersensitive. They will subconsciously notice the difference.... You can't even get close to a top 40 sound without $10,000+ for tracking gear let alone gear for mixing and mastering....

You can get wayyyy closer in the world of film making....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boBbUPUTyPA

this was made using a $1,000 camera......

the audio world has not caught up with modern times..... film making has though.

One could even argue this is a factor on why the movie biz is fine and audio world is struggling....
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
The difference with movies though is that with a $1,000-$4,000 you an buy gear that can can get you REALLY good quality. It's not going to be a Arri Alexa but it will be crisp and HD and let your art shine what ever your making.

Literally in the days we live in everyone is listening on headphones so they are hypersensitive. They will subconsciously notice the difference.... You can't even get close to a top 40 sound without $10,000+ for tracking gear let alone gear for mixing and mastering....

You can get wayyyy closer in the world of film making....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boBbUPUTyPA

this was made using a $1,000 camera......

the audio world has not caught up with modern times..... film making has though.

One could even argue this is a factor on why the movie biz is fine and audio world is struggling....
Fair points. There's some good cinema-style lenses available...latest tech in a large market so I guess there's a scale of economy we don't see in the smaller audio recording market; I bought the cheapest Canon L for around £400, same price as a decent mic.

Still, $10k won't even buy a high-end cinema quality lens; whereas you can get a high-quality, pro recording chain for that amount. Just.

To use a crude analogy: the studio is like the garage that services a car; the car owner doesn't want to buy or keep all the individual tools and materials for the task...so you employ the garage to do it, also you get the mechanics expertise.

Interesting conversation.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Fair points. There's some good cinema-style lenses available...latest tech in a large market so I guess there's a scale of economy we don't see in the smaller audio recording market; I bought the cheapest Canon L for around £400, same price as a decent mic.

Still, $10k won't even buy a high-end cinema quality lens; whereas you can get a high-quality, pro recording chain for that amount. Just.

To use a crude analogy: the studio is like the garage that services a car; the car owner doesn't want to buy or keep all the individual tools and materials for the task...so you employ the garage to do it, also you get the mechanics expertise.

Interesting conversation.
Interesting conversation indeed.

I guess I am just young. More and more people like me are going to push for the ideas I am advocating because we have grown up in this fast developing era and world where we see other markets like the film and computer and video games etc adapt and develop technology that with a small investment can get you really close to what the best are producing.

Then if when they look into the world of pro audio we don't see any similarities and the lack of quality affordable recording and mixing gear in comparison to what the pros are doing is no match. Full $100,000 ssl vs digital daw + plugins etc.... It is no match. It confuses and frustrates us. How is there not better teach out here for this sector? It's 2019... I see alot of companies trying but are falling short but other sectors like the film and computer etc are succeeding...

Yes $10,000 won't get you even close to a pro cinematic lens but look at the example I just posted. Tech like that is more than good enough to get the job the done.

Audio is a different beast. I feel like the car garage example you gave was great and I feel there is a need for expertise and studios but I also feel like

1) studios should develop a lot more affordable plans to less fortune people believe it or not most people don't have a extra $700-$4000 laying around for a project especially in Texas that is rent money....

2) Tools to fix my car cost money but they are far from unattainable. Some of the most important tools needed to create a modern commercial sound are very expensive and arguably unattainable for most people in certain areas.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Nut

Our posts are useless, this guy will keep finding excuses anyways instead of honing his skills. Have you read my post above? You don't need 10K$ gear to win!

You can absolutely do everything by yourself, including the mix. Mastering is only responsible for 10% of a song success. If it's good, any decent indie label or publisher will be happy to cover the costs. Regarding the "high end mic needed for world-class vocal" this is bullsh*t as well. If the singer is good and has practiced the performance before entering studio, he/she can definitely record a good-quality take in one or two hours for 50/100$ max. Then, your mixing skills will make it shine.

Last but not least, since you seem so obsessed by the value of your gear, please consider this perspective: 10.000$ is a lot of money indeed. However, given that a true mastery of the craft is usually achieved after 10.000 hours of practice, spread over 7 to 10 years, it would require an investment of 1000/1300$ per year to finally acquire this "perfect" studio. Some people go to holidays with this cash, other prefer to buy 3 packs of cigarettes per week, you could also buy a dog and cover his veterinary expenses, and so on. You could also slowly build your studio.

Stop blaming, start acting.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

The music industry will be saved when the need for quality affordable recording gear is met. They are trying but not there yet. I actually see a lot more focus on creating high quality affordable mixing options but not recording.

How many high quality (in ratio comparing from the camera example I just linked to a pro cinema camera) LDC's under 1,000 can you name off the top of your head? How do they compare to a u47, Sony c8000g with Russian tubes?

How many amazing tube compressors can you name that is under $1,000 that compares to a tube tech?

Only person I noticed taking charge to fulfill this need is Steven slate.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedeal0 View Post
Our posts are useless, this guy will keep finding excuses anyways instead of honing his skills. Have you read my post above? You don't need 10K$ gear to win!

You can absolutely do everything by yourself, including the mix. Mastering is only responsible for 10% of a song success. If it's good, any decent indie label or publisher will be happy to cover the costs. Regarding the "high end mic needed for world-class vocal" this is bullsh*t as well. If the singer is good and has practiced the performance before entering studio, he/she can definitely record a good-quality take in one or two hours for 50/100$ max. Then, your mixing skills will make it shine.

Last but not least, since you seem so obsessed by the value of your gear, please consider this perspective: 10.000$ is a lot of money indeed. However, given that a true mastery of the craft is usually achieved after 10.000 hours of practice, spread over 7 to 10 years, it would require an investment of 1000/1300$ per year to finally acquire this "perfect" studio. Some people go to holidays with this cash, other prefer to buy 3 packs of cigarettes per week, you could also buy a dog and cover his veterinary expenses, and so on. You could also slowly build your studio.

Stop blaming, start acting.
Show me a modern artist who won without it. Don't name any viral one hit anomalies either... You are talking out your ass...

go on this website do the research look what they are using....

https://equipboard.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search