The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The music game isn't gonna be respected until everyone has the same chance.
Old 15th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYXCKO View Post
it's all is a pyramid scheme. it's a business. with the people at the top not only being protected by knowledge but very expensive gear and rooms.

and they make money by making money from our plays, money from the tutorials and "plugins" they advertise.

with the best tutorials being $321/year or $4,000 to go to one of those MWTM semniars in La Fabrique....

only very well off people can afford the gear needed to compete commercially and seminars like that...

the purpose of the OP was that it is impossible to compete with the people at the top. the only way you make it in commercial music is you get into one of the circles of engineers and producers that are at the top already.

a full commercial project is not only mixed with expensive gear but mastered with expensive gear too. most people really don't have money for the gear they use. and they really don't share there secrets.....

this whole industry that is built on gear and the top keeping there secrets is bull**** to me.

serban mixes completely ITB? his mixes sound amazing... well why doesn't he do a single tutorial nor a interview? it would save a lot of people alot of money....

he obviously wants to protect what he knows... you think he is the only one that is doing that and keeping secrets? hell no.

they all are...

a person who is 18 and and a artist in a city with no big studios has it even harder.

most young artist even if you do live in city like LA have to rely on mediocre engineers with **** gear or no talent or skills....

then after the **** engineer is done drying the artist out financially, the artist quits.

because fans weren't sonically impressed when they pressed play compared to the big artist they listen to everyday. (at least not enough to spend money on them.)

now he is scared to take a chance with a new engineer, even though that might be at an affordable price. (or he might take another chance and the same **** happens.. that engineer just don't got it either...)

and doesn't have money to pay the really good engineers for mixes/songs done every week like big artist are doing.

how does a artist keep up quality and quantity in this for this extremely short attention spanned modern audience?

AND how do they post other content on social media and do other promotion, booking marketing etc...

That's why I say only the well off people make it in this **** or sell drugs......

not everyone wants to sign to a damn label they already take enough our our money as it is... but how will one be successful without one?

that is what the post was about.

and you all are defending the labels and how the industry is.... that is the crazy part....
Life isn't fair. It would be nice if it was. You've got net access; you're already doing better than billions in terms of wealth, health and potential. And there's many doing way better than you, many doing way worse. That's the way it is, much as some people try to improve things.

As for the music industry - yes, unless you've got a major behind you you're unlikely to have a "pop" hit. but labels generally aren't interested in any artist unless they're already generating a buzz themselves - especially in a band. The major label scene is more DIY than it's ever been before.

At the same time - one of the biggest genres right now has to be "soundcloud rap" doesn't it? awful production in general and dubious quality, totally bedroom, launched some genuine successes (those who've managed to stay alive that is). Clear evidence for doing it in a bedroom.

You're also fooling yourself talking about gear. So much high end stuff is mixed ITB these days - not just serban. Sure some do a hybrid approach, and being able to hear what you're doing is paramount - but it's not impossible to do on a budget. No excuses.

I make a living engineering and producing. I'm from a "well off" background by the standards of your average Chinese rural worker; I'm not by the standards of your average private schoolboy. If anything, it's EASIER to make it as an artist from a working class background because it comes off as more genuine; it's a lot harder to write about struggle and poverty if you were gifted a car at 17!

There are THOUSANDS of competent engineers out there, at decent prices. The key is finding them.

But really - I'm with everyone else here, a list of excuses doesn't make you right, it just means you're justifying a lack of effort. Why give up before you've started?
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
It's the gear.
these guys are in more denial than a down low ATL rapper.

They think they got the answers but they got about just as much success as I have and they been doing this 10+ years.

that should tell you something right there.
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

They think they got the answers but they got about just as much success as I have and they been doing this 10+ years.

Haha I was being a dick by the way. Got tired of people saying it's not the gear all the time.

People lose their minds when I say this.

It's a combination by the way of good gear and talent, and a ****load of hard work, connections and plain luck.
Old 15th August 2019
Quote:

I'm certainly not Serban....but I've had a fair bit of what you might call "success".

It's not the gear.

I'm saying this mixing a pop song completely ITB right now....it's not for a major this time...but I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago for a major!
Old 15th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I'm certainly not Serban....but I've had a fair bit of what you might call "success".

It's not the gear.

I'm saying this mixing a pop song completely ITB right now....it's not for a major this time...but I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago for a major!
But thats not success man. Success means Kanye West level! I mean come on the OP shared this Yoda worthy wisdom with us in his first post. We've all been doing it wrong!

Because you know, money is ALL music is about.

"Competing with the top 40 should be the goal from the start of your career to the finish!"

And because the Top 40 is the ONLY music out there.
Old 15th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
But thats not success man. Success means Kanye West level! I mean come on the OP shared this Yoda worthy wisdom with us in his first post. We've all been doing it wrong!

Because you know, money is ALL music is about.

"Competing with the top 40 should be the goal from the start of your career to the finish!"

And because the Top 40 is the ONLY music out there.
I stand corrected
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear
Munching on the straw man I see.
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Perhaps you should try your 'equal opportunity' NFL or NBA? I hear the pay is pretty good.

Here's a tip for ya, eventually the whiners and complainers get tossed out of the control room...
Old 15th August 2019
Quote:
the audio world has not caught up with modern times..... film making has though.

One could even argue this is a factor on why the movie biz is fine and audio world is struggling....
Make a movie.
Old 15th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Make a movie.
He can't. He doesn't have enough high end 'pro gear' to make a proper one on, and all the "pros" know, thats the only way anything can ever be done. Its fixed man just like the music industry is!!
Old 15th August 2019
Quote:
He can't. He doesn't have enough high end 'pro gear' to make a proper one on, and all the "pros" know, thats the only way anything can ever be done. Its fixed man just like the music industry is!!
I’m making movies with my iPhone. See you at the Oscars suckers!!!!
Old 16th August 2019
Quote:
In every art. In every competition there is a standard.

A bar is set.

Stop pretending like in commercial music you can meet that bar without a label, trust fund money, or drug money to get you to the people. ----> who got the gear -----> who hold the knowledge -----> to make you a the records that people are paying for.

then they take that record ---> bring your record to the masses -----> so you can optimize your amazing song with streams and booking showing etc....

eliminate the label.

Mixers and producers and mastering engineers hold the knowledge and power. we must work together. NO SECRETS!!!
The more I read from you the more I facepalm.

There are no “secrets”. Every engineer I’ve ever worked with has loved to talk techniques and gear. We all do it - I can point you to a magazine article where I(producer/recording eng), one of the band and the mix engineer discuss the #1 record we made. With YouTube and god knows how many famous names doing interviews and courses, it’s more accessible than it was when I was learning! Just cos serban is more private, doesn’t mean he doesn’t talk shop with his assistants and visitors.
Old 16th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
serban mixes completely ITB? his mixes sound amazing... well why doesn't he do a single tutorial nor a interview? it would save a lot of people alot of money....
Maybe because he can make more money mixing than doing tutorials or interviews?

Maybe because he just doesn't want to?
Old 16th August 2019
I don't know just a thought. Maybe Serban doesn't want to tell people how he does it because its HIS thing? Is there some contract every artist signs that says 'When you get famous you HAVE to tell people how you did it'? I didnt think so.

If I busted my ass to get up there why would I give you the 'How to sound like me in 3 easy steps' routine so you could flood the market with a bunch of watered down crappy versions of my own stuff? Nah you can go figure out your own style, maybe then you'll finally figure out how to be happy making music. It sounds like you were set from disappointment from day 1 with the some fairy-tale fantasy of riches and treasure and hookers galore though.
Old 16th August 2019
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know just a thought. Maybe Serban doesn't want to tell people how he does it because its HIS thing? Is there some contract every artist signs that says 'When you get famous you HAVE to tell people how you did it'? I didnt think so.

If I busted my ass to get up there why would I give you the 'How to sound like me in 3 easy steps' routine so you could flood the market with a bunch of watered down crappy versions of my own stuff? Nah you can go figure out your own style, maybe then you'll finally figure out how to be happy making music. It sounds like you were set from disappointment from day 1 with the some fairy-tale fantasy of riches and treasure and hookers galore though.
I'd bet he does nothing different than most others and he uses the same tools. It's talent that comes from practice and working to improve that people keep trying to find a shortcut secret to, when you simply have to do the work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

click on his gear list on his page and listen to the song playing in the background with the gear he used to mix it.

---------> http://www.jaycenjoshua.com/
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I have no idea why you’ve posted this, but random internet dude does not equal fact.

Quote:
click on his gear list on his page and listen to the song playing in the background with the gear he used to mix it.

---------> http://www.jaycenjoshua.com/
Now look up tchad Blake - check his credits. All itb. Andrew Scheps. Now all itb. Serban. Itb.

The list can go on. But it’s getting silly. In the time it’s taken you to most about it, you could have improved your own abilities.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have no idea why you’ve posted this, but random internet dude does not equal fact.

Now look up tchad Blake - check his credits. All itb. Andrew Scheps. Now all itb. Serban. Itb.

The list can go on. But it’s getting silly. In the time it’s taken you to most about it, you could have improved your own abilities.
I still like outboard gear and think it generally in a one to one shootout beats plugins, but mixing isn't a one to one shootout. Mixing ITB is different. It will always be different when you use different tools.

Still, that first hardware Vs plugins video is James Lugo's old video from 2016.

James later sold much of his outboard and his console to go UAD with burl summing, saying he kept what couldn't be replaced yet.

Here's the same guy in 2018. He walks through @12:00, joking about replacing his SSL

Last edited by IM WHO YOU THINK; 4 weeks ago at 01:46 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I still like outboard gear and think it generally in a one to one shootout beats plugins, but mixing isn't a one to one shootout. Mixing ITB is different. It will always be different when you use different tools.

Still, that first hardware Vs plugins video is James Lugo's old video from 2016.

James later sold much of his outboard and his console to go UAD with burl summing, saying he kept what couldn't be replaced yet.

Here's the same guy in 2018. He walks through @12:00, joking about replacing his SSL

Yes of course I know James and I see him in the 3nd still; but it’s only one opinion. I know other guys who’ve replaced everything!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes of course I know James and I see him in the 3nd still; but it’s only one opinion. I know other guys who’ve replaced everything!
Sure, but you're skipping the point. The guy presented as proof by the guy who started the thread, that hardware was better later sold most of his hardware to go UAD/Slate.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Sure, but you're skipping the point. The guy presented as proof by the guy who started the thread, that hardware was better later sold most of his hardware to go UAD/Slate.
Ahah right. Yes very good point. To be honest I’m the original post was so middle class problems I’d kind of forgotten the details!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"The music game isn't gonna be respected until everyone has the same chance."

The music Game doesn't care or need your respect.

Life is not a meritocracy.

If you understand those two points - Congratulations! You just climbed up another rung on the ladder of the Music Game.
Old 4 weeks ago
I have a song on the radio and the vocal was recorded with a potatoe in the singers awful apartment with no good sound, I had to work with what I have and I still made it sound great, then the label brought in a top mixing guy to help, so no it's not the gear, I used a few samples, nexus vst, played a bit of guitar and programmed addictive keys. It's not the gear my friend, you'd need to work as hard as me, I kill for every chance i get to keep my project going. lots of highs and lows, it's just life. Get good or gtfo. I could make something great with a vst synth and a few samples.

Oh and I'm a father, I have a full life and they're counting on me to eat and pay for their activities, sometimes you succeed more when your backs against the wall, and you have a real purpose. I cant let my family down and I wont. My next pub deal will be 7 figures, and I worked really hard to get there, it wasnt an overnight success I can tell you that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
I have a song on the radio and the vocal was recorded with a potatoe in the singers awful apartment with no good sound, I had to work with what I have and I still made it sound great, then the label brought in a top mixing guy to help, so no it's not the gear, I used a few samples, nexus vst, played a bit of guitar and programmed addictive keys. It's not the gear my friend, you'd need to work as hard as me, I kill for every chance i get to keep my project going. lots of highs and lows, it's just life. Get good or gtfo. I could make something great with a vst synth and a few samples.

Oh and I'm a father, I have a full life and they're counting on me to eat and pay for their activities, sometimes you succeed more when your backs against the wall, and you have a real purpose. I cant let my family down and I wont. My next pub deal will be 7 figures, and I worked really hard to get there, it wasnt an overnight success I can tell you that.
what's it called?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
what's it called?
I like my anonymity.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
You sure? It's 2019 you know...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

99% luck.

(Right place. right time.)

Much can be said by being born at the right time, so you are in your prime during a musical revolution.

Can someone make money off what you do? That's the bottom line. They don't care if you fart in a tomato can, all that matters is if they can sell it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Sounds like you've figured out the music business isn't for you. Good luck with wherever you can win.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search