The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The music game isn't gonna be respected until everyone has the same chance.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverOctave View Post
Music is not a viable path out of poverty. It's basically a lottery. If you're worried about where the next meal is coming from, do yourself a favor and forget all about music.

Don't feed your dreams on the rare glittering success.

I could say that working for a sound company is a way, way better path out of poverty than the "music game" but it's still not a great idea. You need people skills, mechanical skills and a very strong work ethic. And with all that you're underpaid compared to normal jobs. But you get the satisfaction of bringing entertainment to the public, and that's a lot.

Life is a chess problem and there is always a logical next move.
Music is a viable path out of an impoverished spirit. Make music with like minds, and enjoy the journey.

If you develop an act that people will pay to see, you will reach the finish line.
Old 13th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Music is a viable path out of an impoverished spirit. Make music with like minds, and enjoy the journey.

If you develop an act that people will pay to see, you will reach the finish line.
This right here.. I dont know that people would pay to see some of it (although they did SUCKERS!!) but Ive had some of the best jams of my life just going to the studio with a couple of my closest friends and just pulling everything out of the air.

If youre looking for the big payout, music is going to end up like every other run of the mill dead end job. I would love to be a "professional" full time musician but I think it would burn me out playing that game, and possibly make me start to resent music in general. If it happened, it happened, I would have dealt with it as it came. But luckily I learned early on the whole point was just making it happen period. If you've never had that "good time" feeling from a session than youre in the wrong place, cause that feeling just makes you want to keep doing it regardless of what your motivations are. Better than drugs. SOMETIMES.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Maniac

If your goal is to make money (and not music) then youll be stuck in the 'game' forever. Most big name acts are just that...acts. Not to mention if you're talking about producers, I've heard a lot of pre-mixed and pre-mastered beats from big names that sound like garbage until they've been sent to a $10,000 mixing or mastering studio.

There will never be a real chance for the underdogs because the music business isnt about art, music, or creativity. Its about business ($$$$!!!!!).

Theres two ways to win: 1) its who you know 2) its how much money you have to spend.

The house always wins, so don't play.

Or play and just have fun!
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbDelux View Post
If your goal is to make money (and not music) then youll be stuck in the 'game' forever. Most big name acts are just that...acts. Not to mention if you're talking about producers, I've heard a lot of pre-mixed and pre-mastered beats from big names that sound like garbage until they've been sent to a $10,000 mixing or mastering studio.

There will never be a real chance for the underdogs because the music business isnt about art, music, or creativity. Its about business ($$$$!!!!!).

Theres two ways to win: 1) its who you know 2) its how much money you have to spend.

The house always wins, so don't play.

Or play and just have fun!
3rd way is how much demand you can build and demonstrate. That's the only way to truly win.
Old 13th August 2019
Yes. It's much more of a meritocracy over the past decade. A talented, committed artist with a basic pubishing/audio skillset can generate social media interest which can be used as leverage.

In the old days you'd need to do a pub/gig circuit and be spotted by a scout; now anywhere with internet access can be a grassroots operations hub. I'm seeing a lot of Youtube creatives, in all fields, dealing direct with sponsors and generating income without a middleman. For now at least.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

There will be no sharing the pain or profits equally, ever. The music industry is not a collective or charity. No pain/no gain still pans out to the right of center.
Old 13th August 2019
Pfffft, whatever. Networking and who you know (and whether they like you) is just as - if not more - important than talent and tons of gear.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYXCKO View Post
this is what you don't understand. save for a year? Im from a area where people are struggling everyday to survive and EAT. let alone spend 1000-10,000 on gear....

Crime is ridiculous. there are no corporate jobs.... and they are barley even little **** jobs like gas station clerk or something and they pay horrible.

Credit? forget it. most parents use their children to take out loans etc to make ends meet and feed them.

You all are rich and very fortunate and don't understand.. like seriously..... just stop it.
I dunno... if I was in such a situation I'd probably focus on improving my position rather than whine that expensive gear is... expensive.

Try this - when the urge to reply hits, just put a dollar in your piggy bank; repeat as needed and voila! Fancy gear!
Old 14th August 2019
Here for the gear

I have never seen so much bull **** on one page. the excuses you are making for yourself are ridiculous! grow up
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Head

it's all is a pyramid scheme. it's a business. with the people at the top not only being protected by knowledge but very expensive gear and rooms.

and they make money by making money from our plays, money from the tutorials and "plugins" they advertise.

with the best tutorials being $321/year or $4,000 to go to one of those MWTM semniars in La Fabrique....

only very well off people can afford the gear needed to compete commercially and seminars like that...

the purpose of the OP was that it is impossible to compete with the people at the top. the only way you make it in commercial music is you get into one of the circles of engineers and producers that are at the top already.

a full commercial project is not only mixed with expensive gear but mastered with expensive gear too. most people really don't have money for the gear they use. and they really don't share there secrets.....

this whole industry that is built on gear and the top keeping there secrets is bull**** to me.

serban mixes completely ITB? his mixes sound amazing... well why doesn't he do a single tutorial nor a interview? it would save a lot of people alot of money....

he obviously wants to protect what he knows... you think he is the only one that is doing that and keeping secrets? hell no.

they all are...

a person who is 18 and and a artist in a city with no big studios has it even harder.

most young artist even if you do live in city like LA have to rely on mediocre engineers with **** gear or no talent or skills....

then after the **** engineer is done drying the artist out financially, the artist quits.

because fans weren't sonically impressed when they pressed play compared to the big artist they listen to everyday. (at least not enough to spend money on them.)

now he is scared to take a chance with a new engineer, even though that might be at an affordable price. (or he might take another chance and the same **** happens.. that engineer just don't got it either...)

and doesn't have money to pay the really good engineers for mixes/songs done every week like big artist are doing.

how does a artist keep up quality and quantity in this for this extremely short attention spanned modern audience?

AND how do they post other content on social media and do other promotion, booking marketing etc...

That's why I say only the well off people make it in this **** or sell drugs......

not everyone wants to sign to a damn label they already take enough our our money as it is... but how will one be successful without one?

that is what the post was about.

and you all are defending the labels and how the industry is.... that is the crazy part....
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
it's all is a pyramid scheme. it's a business. with the people at the top not only being protected by knowledge but very expensive gear and rooms.

and they make money by making money from our plays, money from the tutorials and "plugins" they advertise.

with the best tutorials being $321/year or $4,000 to go to one of those MWTM semniars in La Fabrique....

only very well off people can afford the gear needed to compete commercially and seminars like that...

the purpose of the OP was that it is impossible to compete with the people at the top. the only way you make it in commercial music is you get into one of the circles of engineers and producers that are at the top already.

a full commercial project is not only mixed with expensive gear but mastered with expensive gear too. most people really don't have money for the gear they use. and they really don't share there secrets.....

this whole industry that is built on gear and the top keeping there secrets is bull**** to me.

serban mixes completely ITB? his mixes sound amazing... well why doesn't he do a single tutorial nor a interview? it would save a lot of people alot of money....

he obviously wants to protect what he knows... you think he is the only one that is doing that and keeping secrets? hell no.

they all are...

a person who is 18 and and a artist in a city with no big studios has it even harder.

most young artist even if you do live in city like LA have to rely on mediocre engineers with **** gear or no talent or skills....

then after the **** engineer is done drying the artist out financially, the artist quits.

because fans weren't sonically impressed when they pressed play compared to the big artist they listen to everyday. (at least not enough to spend money on them.)

now he is scared to take a chance with a new engineer, even though that might be at an affordable price. (or he might take another chance and the same **** happens.. that engineer just don't got it either...)

and doesn't have money to pay the really good engineers for mixes/songs done every week like big artist are doing.

how does a artist keep up quality and quantity in this for this extremely short attention spanned modern audience?

AND how do they post other content on social media and do other promotion, booking marketing etc...

That's why I say only the well off people make it in this **** or sell drugs......

not everyone wants to sign to a damn label they already take enough our our money as it is... but how will one be successful without one?

and you all are defending the labels and how the industry is.... that is the crazy part....
Any time you think "the only way is to xyz", you're probably wrong.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Any time you think "the only way is to xyz", you're probably wrong.
what's your solution to competing with the top commercially without signing to a label or selling drugs?
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
what's your solution to competing with the top commercially without signing to a label or selling drugs?
Why on Earth would I share that with you?
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Yea you don't have one. If you did you wouldn't be on gearslutz for 10 years with not a single hit or name for yourself... You are just typing to talk. Btw you seem triggered and to be taking my post very personal.. you must be the engineer I am talking about in my last post that takes up and coming artist money in exchange for **** mixes. You should have a warning sign on your studio door in your mothers basement.

"WARNING I will waste your time!" LOL

oh yea I see you keep making up accounts and replying to this post and yourself you werido...
Old 14th August 2019
You sound like you expect artists to go "from zero to hero".

Week 1: "Hmm, I could make some music"
Week 2: "I have some ideas for songs"
Week 3: Shake hands with top producer
Week 4: Record an album with a top engineer in a high end studio
Week 5: Big money

In reality it does rarely ever work like this.

Take Ed Sheeran (Maybe not your music, but in "the same game").
Do you think his first recorded songs were made with high end gear?

Not at all.
(Quote from Wikipedia: "Sheeran began recording music in 2004 and independently released his first collection of work, Spinning Man")
It took a lot of work, sweat and tears. And there are no guarantees!

Of course the commercial part of the music business is - commercial!

Does that stop you from making music? How?
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitW View Post
You sound like you expect artists to go "from zero to hero".

Week 1: "Hmm, I could make some music"
Week 2: "I have some ideas for songs"
Week 3: Shake hands with top producer
Week 4: Record an album with a top engineer in a high end studio
Week 5: Big money

In reality it does rarely ever work like this.

Take Ed Sheeran (Maybe not your music, but in "the same game").
Do you think his first recorded songs were made with high end gear?

Not at all.
(Quote from Wikipedia: "Sheeran began recording music in 2004 and independently released his first collection of work, Spinning Man")
It took a lot of work, sweat and tears. And there are no guarantees!

Of course the commercial part of the music business is - commercial!

Does that stop you from making music? How?
How many accounts do you have jesus...think?

once again for the 100th time... the OP WAS NOT ABOUT JUST MAKING MUSIC!! ....

it is about competing with the top.......

zero to hero happens everyday when artist signs some random **** artist and get them a record done by the best engineers and mixers in the game.... that bille ellish girl is a prime example of this....

mastering, mixing and producers hold all the power...

The point of the op is that labels wouldn't have any power and any purpose and artist like "ed sherren" wouldn't need a labels money if he had access to the gear and the knowledge the pros has in which they used to make his amazing records in his early career or if the current network of engineers mixed at a more affordable price where he can pay them more frequently to keep up with the needs of his fan base while maintaining quality ..

eliminate the label.....
Old 14th August 2019
Quote:
How many accounts do you have jesus...think?
I only have my one and only 15 years old account.

And "competing with the top" in terms of what?

Sonic quality? Many other members here will agree that the most expensive records are not always the best sounding.

Commercial success? You did not answer yet what is keeping you from having success with your own Youtube channel.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitW View Post
I only have my one and only 15 years old account.

And "competing with the top" in terms of what?

Sonic quality? Many other members here will agree that the most expensive records are not always the best sounding.

Commercial success? You did not answer yet what is keeping you from having success with your own Youtube channel.
In every art. In every competition there is a standard.

A bar is set.

Stop pretending like in commercial music you can meet that bar without a label, trust fund money, or drug money to get you to the people. ----> who got the gear -----> who hold the knowledge -----> to make you a the records that people are paying for.

then they take that record ---> bring your record to the masses -----> so you can optimize your amazing song with streams and booking showing etc....

eliminate the label.

Mixers and producers and mastering engineers hold the knowledge and power. we must work together. NO SECRETS!!!
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea you don't have one. If you did you wouldn't be on gearslutz for 10 years with not a single hit or name for yourself... You are just typing to talk. Btw you seem triggered and to be taking my post very personal.. you must be the engineer I am talking about in my last post that takes up and coming artist money in exchange for **** mixes. You should have a warning sign on your studio door in your mothers basement.

"WARNING I will waste your time!" LOL

oh yea I see you keep making up accounts and replying to this post and yourself you werido...

Says the guy who thinks there are no studios in New Orleans and people can't afford gear, because he can't afford gear.

You typed this post and I seem triggered?

Hilarious.
Old 14th August 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
In every art. In every competition there is a standard.

A bar is set.

Stop pretending like in commercial music you can meet that bar without a label, trust fund money, or drug money to get you to the people. ----> who got the gear -----> who hold the knowledge -----> to make you a the records that people are paying for.

then they take that record ---> bring your record to the masses -----> so you can optimize your amazing song with streams and booking showing etc....

eliminate the label.

Mixers and producers and mastering engineers hold the knowledge and power. we must work together. NO SECRETS!!!
Mixers and producers do not have to sell drugs or be born in a rich family. They just spent their 10000+ hours of honing their craft.

Last edited by DAH; 14th August 2019 at 04:31 PM..
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Maniac

It's not the gear its the person behind the gear. Some studios are closing down because of the accessibility of plugins and the quality of song you can make with a laptop!I was just in some sessions in an expensive room where the only thing the producer was using was a laptop, a 3.5-tt cable and the speakers. If these posts are what you believe sorry youve already lost. Having met some of the top 40 guys, ex malay ho and manny marroquin they were nothing but classy, cool people that wanted to help anyone who would listen.
Old 14th August 2019
Aww waaaaa someone else busted their ass getting to the top and youre mad that they wont give you their magic formula for success?? How many times were you dropped on your head as a baby? You could be figuring out your own path to the top but instead you wanna waste your time and whine about it here all day long.

Yeah man, you were totally born to be in this game weren't you. Thick skin and all.
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

It's SO unfair!!!!....I hate you, I hate you, I HATE you!!!!!

Straight to bed, and NO supper.
Old 14th August 2019
I’m about to sell crack. How do I get my Grammy award?

If I don’t get one soon, I may be forced to get high on my own supply.

HELP!!!
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
It's not the gear its the person behind the gear. Some studios are closing down because of the accessibility of plugins and the quality of song you can make with a laptop!I was just in some sessions in an expensive room where the only thing the producer was using was a laptop, a 3.5-tt cable and the speakers. If these posts are what you believe sorry youve already lost. Having met some of the top 40 guys, ex malay ho and manny marroquin they were nothing but classy, cool people that wanted to help anyone who would listen.
It's the gear.
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can share it with me
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

they all are...

Keeping secrets is the only way to go. This strategy in business has worked for thousands of years to prove quite fruitful for the inventive entrepreneur. IP exclusive entitlement is the gravy.
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
You can share it with me
It's the same as it's always been,have hits, build a following, gig. Throw shows, promote yourself, invest in yourself etc... If you can't afford it alone, form a group and save/invest. The people who build from the ground up have the toughest path with the biggest payoff. There's nothing really glamorous about this business to people who've seen it up close. It's a grind. It's a false reality. Like a city made of cardboard.

Honestly, (forgive me this is a tangent). I'm growing really tired of the whole picture of riches stuff that's being promoted. It's not just in music, but in the greater society, the narrative that's sold is either you're rich and wearing Gucci, or you're nothing. It's a world of singularity/backstabbing just for trinkets., and those who are successful seem to have to play into and feed the narrative to stay on. (They have a choice, but they don't seem to realize it.) If you look at the US in the 30's through the 70's people were broke and they still lived. Good music,food, good people were produced. Today, we see the results of reduced funding for the arts and everyone trying to "learn" as an individual on youtube We have greater tech, but we are less connected. It's like someone stole the soul.
Old 14th August 2019
Quote:
Honestly, (forgive me this is a tangent). I'm growing really tired of the whole picture of riches stuff that's being promoted. It's not just in music, but in the greater society, the narrative that's sold is either you're rich and wearing Gucci, or you're nothing. It's a world of singularity/backstabbing just for trinkets., and those who are successful seem to have to play into and feed the narrative to stay on. (They have a choice, but they don't seem to realize it.) If you look at the US in the 30's through the 70's people were broke and they still lived. Good music,food, good people were produced. Today, we see the results of reduced funding for the arts and everyone trying to "learn" as an individual on youtube We have greater tech, but we are less connected. It's like someone stole the soul.
Yeah, that’s the best part.

You don’t have to be real. You can just play make believe and people buy into it, until they don’t. You chill for a decade, and come back onto the scene and start over, if you are lucky.

I want my shot at the bull$hit of stardom. I have to work anyway, so I might as well work to make more money than I would at a day job, get to hang with other “famous” people, and have “regular” people idolize me. Hopefully the long hours, lack of sleep, bad diet, fatigue from travel, alcohol and drugs, loose women,
and other bad stuff won’t kill me too quickly.

A devils paradise for sure.....
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear

Assumptions no good

The OP's post is a piece of crap. And you're wrong about the assumptions you make.
Talk this way to any music pro and he'll make sure not to talk to you. Make sure to rethink your approach.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search