The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The music game isn't gonna be respected until everyone has the same chance.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
It’s frustrating even when you think you’re talented... but, damn, most of what you’re talking about isn’t even true lol

The fact is that even if you had a magic fairy drop you into your very own brand new amazing studio loaded with every piece of amazing outboard in the world and a live-in engineer, the odds are stacked strongly against you being successful in this business of music.

A few thoughts...
So much stuff is recorded in bedrooms... even with big talent...

There are so many time and pitch based effects put on vox nowadays that I’m convinced that if that’s the sort of music you’re recording, you’re p|ssing money away using an expensive mic or preamp... all of those FX strip any and all of the outboard chain mojo off

some y’all may remember a couple of years ago when Kanye shared a screenshot of his Mac that showed his dumb a$$ was downloading p|rated audio plugins..

Write great stuff... learn how to produce... learn how actually play an instrument and write and arrange music. Treat music as a business, a calling...

This isn’t pimping or dope slinging... It isn't a “game”...
do the work and have a solid plan B
The odd part is his "facts" contradict one basic fact. Never has the cost of qualifying gear been cheaper. You don't need the latest Daw, an HD TDM rig will get you by if you can't afford better. Apogee converters are a steal compared to what they used to cost.
A daking pre can be had For<$500. I wouldn't skimp on a quality vocal mic, but it doesn't have to be a Sony for $9k.

Reading what xyz artist used has folks fooled, and so does most marketing.

People across the US have forgotten how to exist without being rich. Get rich or die trying has folks forgetting that it's not necessary to die trying. It's either you have xyz, or you're nothing. It's a false reality.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5cc75a2 View Post
fwiw since its been mentioned a few times just thought id add.. many of these a-list artist who laptop produce, the ones I know of anyway, and I am occasionally doing the same thing, are taking those rough productions into world class studios with world class engineers and studio musicians to rerecord and reproduce, process, remix and master for release. at the very least theyre taking those laptop tunes into those environments for mix master checks as well as label powers that be approvals. the big names on big labels dont call the shots. not how it works ime.
all facts.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with you?

I don’t understand... have you written and recorded a giant catalog of amazing music and not been granted your rich and famous wings yet? Have you written, recorded and finished anything at all yet?

What rich person with lots of gear is preventing you from writing and recording music?

Here are the basics: You need a computer, an interface, headphones, mic and software... heck the software probably will come free with your interface.

Do you not have any of the basics? I’m sure you could get all of it given to you for free from GS users.

Back in the day, plenty of folk that were much poorer than anything you’ve mentioned managed to scrape together enough to buy instruments... which, compared to today’s dollars cost a lot more than you’d have to spend to get the basics nowadays.
I urge you to read the OP and entire forum again. This post was not about me. It also wasn't about "getting started."

It was about competing with pros and everyone having the same access to grade a commercial sounding gear to compete in this modern era.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
It’s frustrating even when you think you’re talented... but, damn, most of what you’re talking about isn’t even true lol

The fact is that even if you had a magic fairy drop you into your very own brand new amazing studio loaded with every piece of amazing outboard in the world and a live-in engineer, the odds are stacked strongly against you being successful in this business of music.

A few thoughts...
So much stuff is recorded in bedrooms... even with big talent...

There are so many time and pitch based effects put on vox nowadays that I’m convinced that if that’s the sort of music you’re recording, you’re p|ssing money away using an expensive mic or preamp... all of those FX strip any and all of the outboard chain mojo off

some y’all may remember a couple of years ago when Kanye shared a screenshot of his Mac that showed his dumb a$$ was downloading p|rated audio plugins..

Write great stuff... learn how to produce... learn how actually play an instrument and write and arrange music. Treat music as a business, a calling...

This isn’t pimping or dope slinging... It isn't a “game”...
do the work and have a solid plan B
Yea you have no idea what you are talking about or how to mix...... if you want to do alot of post processing and crazy effects you are going to want to track and record though great gear so it doesn't break up afterwards.

*sigh* more unqualified wanna be engineers talking out there ass like they know what they are talking about....
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYXCKO View Post
I urge you to read the OP and entire forum again. This post was not about me. It also wasn't about "getting started."

It was about competing with pros and everyone having the same access to grade a commercial sounding gear to compete in this modern era.
I got that, young blood... it’s still a bunch of peach fuzz mostly grown a$$ Young man nonsense talk... by your own words you live in a town with no quality studios, and your only exposure to good rooms seems to be what you read in Sound on Sound and see on Mixing With the Masters... when you get to be a full grown a$$ man, and if you’re still at this, you’ll cringe at the thought of starting this thread..

Correct me if I’m wrong, but:

You haven’t done sh~t, don’t own sh<t, don’t know sh~t... but you’re gonna speak on the state of the business to a lot of us who’ve been doing this successfully for probably a thousand combined years of experience?

The best part? You’re not the first newbie to start a thread exactly like this one... hell, not even the first newbie this week... they are always exactly the same... it’s so weird
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I got that, young blood... it’s still a bunch of peach fuzz mostly grown a$$ Young man nonsense talk... by your own words you live in a town with no quality studios, and your only exposure to good rooms seems to be what you read in Sound on Sound and see on Mixing With the Masters... when you get to be a full grown a$$ man, and if you’re still at this, you’ll cringe at the thought of starting this thread..

Correct me if I’m wrong, but:

You haven’t done sh~t, don’t own sh<t, don’t know sh~t... but you’re gonna speak on the state of the business to a lot of us who’ve been doing this successfully for probably a thousand combined years of experience?

The best part? You’re not the first newbie to start a thread exactly like this one... hell, not even the first newbie this week... they are always exactly the same... it’s so weird
You been running a biz huh? a lil studio over there hahaha...

what are some links to your work or what major placements do you have?

Im sure you are killing the billboard recording with that rode K2 and plugins...

Im sure you haven't reached the top 40 because you just aren't as "smart" as the pro engineers using sony c800gs and ssls....

oh haha maybe its because you have no talented artist you record.....

and and it has nothing to do with your gear.... LOL
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

“Help someone, you earn a friend. Help someone too much, you make an enemy.”
― Erol Ozan
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You been running a biz huh? a lil studio over there hahaha...

what are some links to your work or what major placements do you have?

Im sure you are killing the billboard recording with that rode K2 and plugins...

Im sure you haven't reached the top 40 because you just aren't as "smart" as the pro engineers using sony c800gs and ssls....

oh haha maybe its because you have no talented artist you record.....

and and it has nothing to do with your gear.... LOL
Says the guy whose aCcount is a week old and whose vCard email address returns to an Iraqi gentleman...

It’s your thread... your outburst to try and make it about me is also predictable... I’m good...

How about responding to what I’ve actually written? Your own your rambling... it stings to be called on it, I get it.
Old 11th August 2019
Ahhh I get it now, its societies fault! **** I was born, raised and still live in South Ontario, California. You think we have money here? This aint Upland or Claremont. Hell I can go introduce you to the ladies in the apartments next door and you can go door to door with em on the weekend when they sell tamales so they can pay their utilities this month heh. You wanna come sit on the roof with me and have a smoke at night and listen to all the random gunshots going off in South Onta? We can take bets on how many times were gonna see the ghetto bird come around the neighborhood in the next 6 hours, that **** is always fun! I got plenty of homies that still live here and are doing the same **** they've been doing since we were kids. What did I do? I worked and left. I got into way too much trouble and figured out how to avoid it and not get involved. I concentrated on my music. You know what happened when I wanted that first Tascam Portastudio? I stopped blowing money on stupid crap for a month, I didnt need to go get high and hang out with my friends, I saved it. I didnt wait for a single paycheck to come in that I could go drop on it. It doesn't work that way. Plenty of 'stars' came from the same damn upbringing we did. They didnt wait for money or a handout to fall in their lap. They schmoozed it, they worked the system, they figured out how to make it happen. Man seriously if you think your local drug dealers are making the kind of money to jump into the music business, you really dont know a damn thing about selling drugs heh. It aint Scarface or Miami Vice man, you've seen too many movies.

I wonder how you think recording engineers get started in the first place. Ever been to school for it? They dont just hand out jobs because you've got a certificate heh. There's this thing you do called interning, usually for "experience". They dont care what you own, youre not touching their gear and risking their income until you've proven you can actually USE it properly. Sometimes, this process takes YEARS before you become an actual employee and get to possibly fill in on your first session because someone called in sick or cant be there. It aint about owning it, its about knowledge and earning that place to begin with. Better get that knowledge of making coffee and cleaning toilets down because youre gonna need it to get anywhere in that side of it.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea you have no idea what you are talking about or how to mix...... if you want to do alot of post processing and crazy effects you are going to want to track and record though great gear so it doesn't break up afterwards.

*sigh* more unqualified wanna be engineers talking out there ass like they know what they are talking about....
"unqualified"...

Could you please share with the group a bit about yourself? We know nothing about you. You've been here only a week, no links to any of your work or your CV or anything really.
Old 11th August 2019
Quote:
"unqualified"...

Could you please share with the group a bit about yourself? We know nothing about you. You've been here only a week, no links to any of your work or your CV or anything really.
I wanna get my stuff to break up more like he says. I dont get it, Im using crappy 'prosumer' gear here and sometimes I aint got ENOUGH distortion. Man these kids have it all figured out now!
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are fortunate. Accept that and move on.

Based on statistical facts consider yourself lucky you and I made it out. I grew up in new orleans east. which is the worst area in the city. I got a chance to leave because my dad who live in texas was willing to take care of me.

Saving up for gear is the last thing on these peoples mind as they simply can't afford it. Especially not 3,000+ compressors and mics....

There isn't any studios with high quality gear either.
"There isn't any studios with high end gear? "

Tell me you're trolling. Cause if you're not, you're stating ignorant ideas as facts, because you simply don't know any better
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
this is what you don't understand. save for a year? Im from a area where people are struggling everyday to survive and EAT. let alone spend 1000-10,000 on gear....

Crime is ridiculous. there are no corporate jobs.... and they are barley even little **** jobs like gas station clerk or something and they pay horrible.

Credit? forget it. most parents use their children to take out loans etc to make ends meet and feed them.

You all are rich and very fortunate and don't understand.. like seriously..... just stop it.
Rich and fortunate? Like I put myself thru school cuz my dad ,who left at 12 when i got diabetes, made too much for me to get financial aid? So I wasnt able to hit the army like a lot of people could, i was stuck with a decision to make, be a statistic or get off my ass and go to school while i worked at a gas station to pay school and a car. I aint gonna apologize for my success, i earned it, all of it. If you aint getting it its cuz you dont want it bad enough.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Rich and fortunate? Like I put myself thru school cuz my dad ,who left at 12 when i got diabetes, made too much for me to get financial aid? So I wasnt able to hit the army like a lot of people could, i was stuck with a decision to make, be a statistic or get off my ass and go to school while i worked at a gas station to pay school and a car. I aint gonna apologize for my success, i earned it, all of it. If you aint getting it its cuz you dont want it bad enough.
Exactly. There's all kinds of historical economic discrimination in America worthy of discussion, but when your example is equal access to world class studios, and you have an arrogant attitude,you fall on deaf ears as either a child or a troll.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

I have a Ph.d. in Political Science. This is kind of interesting from the socio-economic perspective. It's also what one of my more surly genius professors would call a "banal" question. The answer is simple. There is no market demand for more "professional" studio produced music. There is no popular society demand to purchase public professional studios for everyone in educational institutions. I guess if you were in a place like California where you could get a Proposition on the ballot to raise taxes through a bond measure to build public recording studios with no or minimal fee. It makes about as much sense as building extra steel mills when there is no buyer for even the cheapest steel.

If you live somewhere where the local population would be generally burdened buying a typical bedroom studio, there would be probably better uses for those resources to be invested in that community.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Maniac

This thread is beyond stupid.

First off, I have worked with a lot of the biggest names in the top 40 and I can assure you most of them aren't doing anything out of reach. Most people in the top 40 are doing things in the cheapest lowest common form possible. I am not as successful as any of my clients I work with and have a way nicer studio than them, way better gear, and invest in way better resources than they do. Most of the top 40 producers make beats in fruity loops [mod delete], use stock sounds, [mod delete]. [mod delete]. I'm not even joking. Most of these producers are using cheap plastic midi controllers. Spotting a live musician or instrument in one of these producers studios is like spotting a unicorn. The beats are being made in such a cheap way its not even funny.

I personally own all analog hardware valued over 100g's from brands such as Buchla, Moog, Oberheim, Arp, etc... And I'm not in the top 40 lol. In fact most of the indie producers have way higher standards than the top 40 crowd.

I also work with a lot of the absolute top engineers in the top 40 scene and they all pretty much mix in the box. No hardware outboard gear, no console or anything. Again me and my friends that do more indie music all have thousands of dollars of vintage Neve, API, Chandler, summing line amp mixers, etc... Again we are nowhere near the top 40.

What I'm basically saying is if you bought a decent computer, a cheap plastic midi controller, [mod delete], did everything completely DIY with no live instruments or musicians you would have all of the same 'resources' as most of the people in the top 40.

I personally stopped working with the top names in hip hop because I started to hate my job because of the lack of standards people in the top 40 had. We would literally be in the biggest $2-3 thousand dollar a day studio and the beatmaker would literally just want their laptop with [mod delete] fruity loops plugged into the mains to make the beat. I wouldn't even record the beat. The beatmaker would export the audio to a jump drive and I would import the audio into protools. The client would prioritize install recall, convenience, budget over sound quality so I would use none of the analog hardware outboard gear or console and mix everything in the box with software.

The only quality would be the vocal chain. Every top 40 rapper wants a generic Sony C800G - John Hardy M1 - Tube Tech CL1B (which I personally think is a pretty plain vocal chain).

Indie producers and engineers have waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better standards than the guys in the top 40.

I dunno whutchu talking bout??????

Last edited by Bender412; 12th August 2019 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: Not allowed
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Maniac

And btw you asked us to show you a song made low budget...

Currently the #1 song on billboard hot 100...

Lil Nas X - Old Town Road.

It really doesn't get much cheaper than that, the dude bought a generic beat off of some random no name beat maker for $30 that the beatmaker illegally sold because he din't have clearance for the NIN sample lol.

It's just hilarious to me that you are ranting about the top 40 clientele having some unobtainable level of quality when I literally stopped working with the top 40 crowd because I was so demotivated by the lack of quality.

I think one of the biggest revelations I learned working with top 40 people is they don't even use 95% of the gear in the million dollar studios they rent.

Last edited by Chad Sterling; 12th August 2019 at 06:01 AM..
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Loser by Beck was made on a Mackie and a Fostex tape machine...

Don't start telling me that wasn't a big hit.
Old 12th August 2019
When I was younger, I used to think in exactly the same way as you do now.
The world is unfair, and I could be so good and successful if only...

Fact is, there never was a time making it easier to publish yourself.
Record music with your Rode/Focusrite combo, make a shaky (...and a little self ironic) video to it, start a youtube channel.

Yes, there is a risk nobody is interested.
But if you are really good, people will listen.
And at this forum here, you are at the exact right place for listeners eager to hear fresh and new talents.
Once you have a hundred thousand plus subscribers, you will get chances to gain access to better recording hardware.

(Btw.: For me personally, having financial success with music is not a goal anymore. Not even success. I found out I enjoy music to much to depend on opinions of others.)

Last edited by PitW; 12th August 2019 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: typos, again. And an addition.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Anybody here think @ SYXCKO is no ssl yet
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
Anybody here think @ SYXCKO is no ssl yet
Why on Earth and any other planet would you think that? (Is it because he says he's from New Orleans?)

I guarantee you who ever that is, it's not me. It seems to be some guy who's first post/thread is this one. I felt we were being trolled, but I didn't want to write him off, because it might be some young kid who needs guidance. But dude never responeded when I asked his age.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Yes @ IM WHO YOU THINK 'cause he said he was from N.O. and I know it ain't you as your threads/posts don't reek of hubris
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

I worked my ass off for my gear, I think the OP can too.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Head

Music is not a viable path out of poverty. It's basically a lottery. If you're worried about where the next meal is coming from, do yourself a favor and forget all about music.

Don't feed your dreams on the rare glittering success.

I could say that working for a sound company is a way, way better path out of poverty than the "music game" but it's still not a great idea. You need people skills, mechanical skills and a very strong work ethic. And with all that you're underpaid compared to normal jobs. But you get the satisfaction of bringing entertainment to the public, and that's a lot.

Life is a chess problem and there is always a logical next move.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverOctave View Post
Music is not a viable path out of poverty. It's basically a lottery. If you're worried about where the next meal is coming from, do yourself a favor and forget all about music.

Don't feed your dreams on the rare glittering success.

I could say that working for a sound company is a way, way better path out of poverty than the "music game" but it's still not a great idea. You need people skills, mechanical skills and a very strong work ethic. And with all that you're underpaid compared to normal jobs. But you get the satisfaction of bringing entertainment to the public, and that's a lot.

Life is a chess problem and there is always a logical next move.
Most of us want to be like Robert Plant, Dr. Dre, or Jimi Hendrix or whatever, I wanted to be a rock god myself. I'm now mixing music out of my high end mixing room, with an SSL console. Paid it all with my dead end minimum wage job as an embroiderer for clothing for 10 stinking years.

This is a bit more of a stable career path than being a musician if you can maintain your clients and keep them coming back giving what they want. Plus I get to listen to music all day. I also get a front row seat to some great performances sometimes. Greatest job in the world right? I combine this with graphic design jobs on the side that I taught myself, no fancy degree.

Think about it.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

This thread is ridiculous... top 40/hip hop/trap... totally hit on the head... FL... lots of AT2020 and Rode NT1s... and nothing wrong with any of that... even if they get to track in a real studio, that studio only has to have one input channel for pete’s Sake... everything else is loops, virtual instruments (often playing midi loops and construction kits)... in other words, throwing high end gear at that doesn’t make any f’ing sense...

The indies, rockers, country people... those are your gear junkies

Also, where’s the OP? I hope a cold splash of reality didn’t make him so sad that he can’t participate in his troll thread any longer...

Last edited by Bender412; 12th August 2019 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Multiple
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear
There is something to be said for the quality of tools. "A poor craftsman blames his tools" though, right? But a good craftsman knows when they could be better. If you start with the good stuff then you will be ahead somewhat. If you started with an experienced mentor, then you would be further ahead. If you had time to practice your skills and get better without immediately being tossed aside, you'd be further ahead still. And if you had producers feeding you work nonstop, you might just be on top.

The greats had many of those factors work in their favor. They did not flourish under the same conditions many trying to "break into" the industry (hello it's rigged) have to today.
Old 12th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
In your first post didn't you mention that there's money to be made in drugs?
Become a pharmaceutical rep, buy ALL the gear, and then report back!
FYP for you haha.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKane View Post
I believe respect is given toward the authenticity of the individual and how he performs his craft. Its not always the entire music industry, but merely just the reflection of ones self that seems disrespected. I hope you find the meaning in creating music like I was fortunate enough to find, and it was not at the end of a rainbow. Cheers!
Tell how fortunate you were.
Old 13th August 2019
Some people just need an excuse why others achieve I guess.

OP doesn’t appear to have any first hand experience of the industry, so maybe it does seem like this to him.

Off to the moan zone I guess!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search