The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The music game isn't gonna be respected until everyone has the same chance.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Head

Look what MTWM just dropped lol

what they recording with? This isn't hip hop. Your comment was dumb it does't matter then genre you are going to need gear...

https://mixwiththemasters.com/itt28
Old 10th August 2019
Here for the gear

If you want to do recording studio business, yes you have to buy expensive gear just to impress clients or to compete with other studios
For home recording, you just need gear that doesn't suck too much, a bit of acoustic treatment and live with the imperfections, the goal is to record a performance, it's not a bling bling thing
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Nut

To each according to their needs
From each according to their abilities.
Old 10th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYXCKO View Post
They are at the top. I love hip hop and R&B. I don't want to hear or make any other music and america and the world feels the same as it's been the leading genre since 2000. You sound like a hater....

Keep dreaming thinking gear don't matter you will eventually be at guitar center with no records and a wanna be has been.
Sure thing kiddo. So, novel concept. Quit whining, shut the hell up, and take your participation trophy elsewhere and do something other than complaining?

I mean seriously, if your whole concept of 'professional musician' means strictly sell-out top 40 manufactured corporate artists, you were screwed from the get go man. There is no hope or happiness for you here, unless yeah, youre ready to bend over and take a few for the team.. You want the big money? You play the game. Thats called LIFE in general get used to it. Nobody said that was a requirement to be a professional musician, and theres plenty out there working at it for a living that dont own Hollywood gear.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

ns
Old 10th August 2019
There is a bar to professional recording - talent and production aside - that bar must seem insurmountable from street-level: pro gear/space (or the money for pro gear). The OP is right in that many 'successful' artists were born with a silver spoon, or robbed banks, or knowingly allowed themselves to be molested by their 'uncle.' That's how it must appear to many.

That's an illusion though. Sure, bad stuff happens, everywhere most of the time...the recording studio/commercial music world is no different.

The fact is that the bar to accessing pro audio gear is the same for everyone; it's not an elitist thing. Save for a year, book a half-day at the studio and you can access the same gear that hit records are made with. The bar is not at street level.

From an audio engineers perspective, in terms of gear/space, the OP shows an understanding of what it takes to make that professionally-competitive recording. Basically the OP is a Gearslut.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are at the top. I love hip hop and R&B. I don't want to hear or make any other music and america and the world feels the same as it's been the leading genre since 2000. You sound like a hater....

Keep dreaming thinking gear don't matter you will eventually be at guitar center with no records and a wanna be has been.
So care to make us dreamers a list? What gear do we have to have lest we be doomed to guitar center?

Are all the hit records mixed on protools mix systems, (not HD, or HDX) invalid now?
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Its better to be a has been than a never was.

Cheers
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Seems to me a lot of successful people make all the music on the laptop.So.......
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear
Music is a competitive business. People obtain gear that helps them compete.

Let's go back 500 years. Your in a battle. They guy with a better sword and armor has a better chance. Can the skilled guy with a stick win, sure, but not most of the time.

A good song and singer is good no matter what gear is used. But to compete vs. the other good singer with a good song, they one using the better gear wins.

It starts with the good song an musician. The gear and cash follow them.

Say you are a good driver. How much work and cash does it take to win a car race?
Say you want to make movies. In that industry, most spend a lot of time begging for cash. You have to prove you are worth the investment.

Respect is given to those who win or at least compete well.

I ran a studio for a few years. The really good musians never complained. The ones who complained were covering up for some shortfall of talent, skill, training, whatever. Insecurity is the source of complaining. The OP is just a complaint.

I worked hard, but not hard enough and not smart enough. So I had to close and go back to my day job. I lost that competition.

Be fearless, work hard, and move on.

Last edited by elegentdrum; 10th August 2019 at 09:27 PM..
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
There is a bar to professional recording - talent and production aside - that bar must seem insurmountable from street-level: pro gear/space (or the money for pro gear). The OP is right in that many 'successful' artists were born with a silver spoon, or robbed banks, or knowingly allowed themselves to be molested by their 'uncle.' That's how it must appear to many.

That's an illusion though. Sure, bad stuff happens, everywhere most of the time...the recording studio/commercial music world is no different.

The fact is that the bar to accessing pro audio gear is the same for everyone; it's not an elitist thing. Save for a year, book a half-day at the studio and you can access the same gear that hit records are made with. The bar is not at street level.

From an audio engineers perspective, in terms of gear/space, the OP shows an understanding of what it takes to make that professionally-competitive recording. Basically the OP is a Gearslut.
this is what you don't understand. save for a year? Im from a area where people are struggling everyday to survive and EAT. let alone spend 1000-10,000 on gear....

Crime is ridiculous. there are no corporate jobs.... and they are barley even little **** jobs like gas station clerk or something and they pay horrible.

Credit? forget it. most parents use their children to take out loans etc to make ends meet and feed them.

You all are rich and very fortunate and don't understand.. like seriously..... just stop it.
Old 10th August 2019
Quote:
this is what you don't understand. save for a year? Im from a area where people are struggling everyday to survive and EAT. let alone spend 1000-10,000 on gear....

Crime is ridiculous. there are no corporate jobs.... and they are barley even little **** jobs like gas station clerk or something and they pay horrible.

Credit? forget it. most parents use their children to take out loans etc to make ends meet and feed them.

You all are rich and very fortunate and don't understand.. like seriously..... just stop it.
Let's say the artist has got one track to record in the commercial studio; the artist practices with whatever tools are available until they're ready to record. They book the studio plus engineer (maybe take advantage of an off-hours deal or Studio B or trainee engineer for a reduced rate or volunteer) for? How long? Half a day? Quarter day? All night?

$300-400?

That's not going to be an unattainable sum of money for an artist to invest in their own music.

So, yeah, for an album, maybe save for a year. It's an expensive business.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Let's say the artist has got one track to record in the commercial studio; the artist practices with whatever tools are available until they're ready to record. They book the studio plus engineer (maybe take advantage of an off-hours deal or Studio B or trainee engineer for a reduced rate or volunteer) for? How long? Half a day? Quarter day? All night?

$300-400?

That's not going to be an unattainable sum of money for an artist to invest in their own music.

So, yeah, for an album, maybe save for a year. It's an expensive business.
You are talking like one of those privileged boys I meet occasionally.

Look at this video

You think these people have $300-$400?

These people are struggling to survive. everyday + they have kids....

I am almost positive you would be a different person and wouldn't be talking as ignorantly as you are if you grew up in these areas....

Drive? they can't even find a job to get and afford a car.

Studio? where?

they are ****ing stuck. stop it dude...

You clearly don't know what you are talking about...

History has not been kind to them and they are in this position in the first place because of it.

but that is another conversation...
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Look at this video

I am almost positive you would be a different person and wouldn't be talking as ignorantly as you are if you grew up in these areas....

Studio? where?

History has not been kid to them and they are in this position in the first place because of it.

I grew up in New Orleans in the 13th ward. I made music in the 3rd, and we DJd in every project in the city. Your arrogance is misguided. I don't need a video to know the hood.

I agree with you about history, but I know plenty of dudes making music that disprove your facts.

Also, your video hardly shows the "worst hoods" it's just New Orleans at night.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I grew up in New Orleans in the 13th ward. I made music in the 3rd, and we DJd in every project in the city. Your arrogance is misguided. I don't need a video to know the hood.

I agree with you about history, but I know plenty of dudes making music that disprove your facts.
You are fortunate. Accept that and move on.

Based on statistical facts consider yourself lucky you and I made it out. I grew up in new orleans east. which is the worst area in the city. I got a chance to leave because my dad who live in texas was willing to take care of me.

Saving up for gear is the last thing on these peoples mind as they simply can't afford it. Especially not 3,000+ compressors and mics....

There isn't any studios with high quality gear either.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Not to mention I really don't understand the point you are making?

The thread was about everyone having the same chance and access to commercial gear to make quality sounding commercial records to compete with pros.

As I am proving is not the case.

Not about someone being able to afford a dj equipment and dj at parties....
Old 11th August 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettingDaysGoBy View Post
To each according to their needs
From each according to their abilities.
It is what we have now, the ability to stroll on the others' heads gives the most return to fulfill the needs.
From each according to their merits given to the society - sounds better.
The problem is, who will decide on what's the society's goal/benefits are.
Old 11th August 2019
Quote:

Look at this video

Studio? where?

History has not been kid to them and they are in this position in the first place because of it.

When you say 'they' it appears you are referring to someone you are not; you appear to speaking for 'them' whilst not being one of them. Just an academic observation.

The videos you posted are familiar to me; I've seen them before. Of course, there's a lot of beauty there too but these dystopian perspectives don't always have that balance. Fact is that there is a shedload of recording studios (commercial/project) in Miami, Chicago, Detroit and New Orleans.

I don't buy your thesis; it's defeatist and nihilist. Yeah sure, great records are made with great gear and money but many, often the best, are born from poverty or hard work.

People's access to high-quality music-making and publishing has never been greater; given this equality of opportunity in music-making, only a self-limiting mindset will prevent a hit record.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are fortunate. Accept that and move on.

Based on statistical facts consider yourself lucky you and I made it out. I grew up in new orleans east. which is the worst area in the city. I got a chance to leave because my dad who live in texas was willing to take care of me.

Saving up for gear is the last thing on these peoples mind as they simply can't afford it. Especially not 3,000+ compressors and mics....

There isn't any studios with high quality gear either.
How old are you? Were you recording at all in the 90s? I don't need a stats sheet to know what life is like in the city. The stats hardly tell the whole story, they only discuss documented income. There are sources of income that are not counted that are not selling drugs. Is being broke rough? Hell yeah, but it's not impossible to make a record without being well off.

Also,

You don't need $3000 compressors to make and sell music. (And I say that as someone who tracks vocals through a CL1B. I tracked tracked vocals for years before I had one too.).

I'll take your advice and move on. You seem to have all the answers and your mind is made up.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
When you say 'they' it appears you are referring to someone you are not; you appear to speaking for 'them' whilst not being one of them. Just an academic observation.

The videos you posted are familiar to me; I've seen them before. Of course, there's a lot of beauty there too but these dystopian perspectives don't always have that balance. Fact is that there is a shedload of recording studios (commercial/project) in Miami, Chicago, Detroit and New Orleans.

I don't buy your thesis; it's defeatist and nihilist. Yeah sure, great records are made with great gear and money but many, often the best, are born from poverty or hard work.

People's access to high-quality music-making and publishing has never been greater; given this equality of opportunity in music-making, only a self-limiting mindset will prevent a hit record.
I say they because in every city in america it is people like this. If you are tryna say I am lying I will gladly facetime or skype you and show you birth certificate. born in ap touro infirmary new orleans Louisiana...

grew up in new orleans east.

You don't have to "buy my thesis".

As expected when told about the reality of what the situation is to keep power people like you diverse from it so it doesn't change.

If they could make their own music why would they need people like you at the end of the day right?

It is expected.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
How old are you? Were you recording at all in the 90s? I don't need a stats sheet to know what life is like in the city. The stats hardly tell the whole story, they only discuss documented income. There are sources of income that are not counted that are not selling drugs. Is being broke rough? Hell yeah, but it's not impossible to make a record without being well off.

Also,

You don't need $3000 compressors to make and sell music. (And I say that as someone who tracks vocals through a CL1B. I tracked tracked vocals for years before I had one too.).

I'll take your advice and move on. You seem to have all the answers and your mind is made up.
Yea you don't need a amazing mic to record vocals. or a tube tech.

to compete commercially against the best as this thread was about in the OP you absolute need it. period.

and everyone does not have the same opportunity and access to it.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
All you need is a great song.

Of course gear matters,everyone knows that,deep deep deep down inside.heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
I agree. Of course a great song with crap gear is better than a crap song with great gear, but a great song with great gear is a thing of beauty. People always say is the ears not the gear, but the reality is that its the ears and the gear. A great engineer can make crap gear sound surprisingly good, but they can do much more with great gear.

refrence: Gear makes a difference.
Old 11th August 2019
Deleted 5cc75a2
once upon a time a decent tune could make a few thousand bucks from just a week or two worth of digital sales alone, recouping the investment and earning a small profit. enough to make rent, eat and enough to buy a piece of gear (or save for a big purchase) as well as flip the cash necessary into producing the next tune and so on. after a few of these youd develop a fan base and start getting label, show and client offers.. onward and upwards as they say. this is how most artist/producer/label/studios I know built up their brands. even an artist without a label, talent would prevail and you could earn a good middle class living while being fully diy and in control of your own career.

today, not so much. why? isnt that obvious? the billionaire daniel ek's and sean parker's of the world are running (I mean ruining.. er.. ruined) the music industry. they conned the masses and got rich off our backs. theyre dipping into every sector of the business.. the distribution, streaming, sales, ads, data, social, media, tours, hardware, politics - you name it, theyre involved, making the ground rules as they go, getting a cut and usually a big one of everything along the way building their empires at any and all cost. and theyre constantly fighting for more, exploiting legal loopholes, suing the governments for lower royalty payments etc. so if you want a truly level playing field, stop uploading your work immediately after its made to these ****ers websites and stop using their services altogether. youre supporting the crooks and killing any chances of success or a "level playing field" all at once. only the major label artists, major labels that are affiliated with these crooks, artists the majority of which today are created from scratch by the label and their in-house teams, have a fair shot at success. theyre shoo-ins. its rigged that way. the rest of us are playing the lottery. its never been less about the music than it is today. unfortunately.

the sad part of it all is that we, the music makers and fans not only allowed this to happen but supported them in destroying the industry and even with the knowledge of what they did and are still doing today amazingly continue to do so!
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
once upon a time a decent tune could make a few thousand bucks from just a week or two worth of digital sales alone, recouping the investment and earning a small profit. enough to make rent, eat and enough to buy a piece of gear (or save for a big purchase) as well as flip the cash necessary into producing the next tune and so on. after a few of these youd develop a fan base and start getting label, show and client offers.. onward and upwards as they say. this is how most artist/producer/label/studios I know built up their brands. even an artist without a label, talent would prevail and you could earn a good middle class living while being fully diy and in control of your own career.

today, not so much. why? isnt that obvious? the billionaire daniel ek's and sean parker's of the world are running (I mean ruining.. er.. ruined) the music industry. they conned the masses and got rich off our backs. theyre dipping into every sector of the business.. the distribution, streaming, sales, ads, data, social, media, tours, hardware, politics - you name it, theyre involved, making the ground rules as they go, getting a cut and usually a big one of everything along the way building their empires at any and all cost. and theyre constantly fighting for more, exploiting legal loopholes, suing the governments for lower royalty payments etc. so if you want a truly level playing field, stop uploading your work immediately after its made to these ****ers websites and stop using their services altogether. youre supporting the crooks and killing any chances of success all at once. only the major label artists, major labels that are affiliated with these crooks, artists the majority of which today are created from scratch by the label and their in-house teams, have a fair shot at success. theyre shoo-ins. its rigged that way. the rest of us are playing the lottery. its never been less about the music than it is today. unfortunately.

the sad part of it all is that we, the music makers and fans not only allowed this to happen but supported them in destroying the industry and even with the knowledge of what they did and are still doing today amazingly continue to do so!
facts.

I will never understand why in this age why huge artist literally don't work with devs and pay them to make them a app where it only plays their music.

Then work with devs to create a integrated feature similar to youtube ads where they can contact advertisers to advertise through their own private app that way they tell all their fans to listen & stream all future and older projects through their private app which can be downloaded for free on the app store.

that way there is no middle man collecting their streaming revenue and they get to update fans directly through their app.

It will be a world where fans will have drake music app, taylor swift music app, etc.....
Old 11th August 2019
Quote:
I say they because in every city in america it is people like this. If you are tryna say I am lying I will gladly facetime or skype you and show you birth certificate. born in ap touro infirmary new orleans Louisiana...

grew up in new orleans east.

You don't have to "buy my thesis".

As expected when told about the reality of what the situation is to keep power people like you diverse from it so it doesn't change.

If they could make their own music why would they need people like you at the end of the day right?

It is expected.
Every city has areas like that; loads of UK artists (usually the good ones) come from the frontline. Listen to the African rap from the Paris ghettos or from Rio. Pirate radio. Jamaican reggae. Tinariwen - those folks came out of the desert!

If I help anyone to make music it's because they lack the skills and gear I have. Mainly I just make my own music for my own enjoyment.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Addict

I resonate deeply with OP. Working as a musician in my country is next to impossible, and the ones that do are either rich kids whose parents are very well connected, so they started very young or rock&roll bands that somehow inherit a following from another dead rock&roll band.
I worked as a guitarist and singer for free almost my whole life, doing average jobs to sustain me until I was able to start producing records for other people.

It wasn't until I hit 33 years old that I was able to afford a good studio and decent hardware in my homestudio to make a REALLY GOOD SOUNDING record for my own songs. The rich kids are already 15 years ahead of me because all of the detours I had to make to accomplish my goal.

BUT

it's an unfair world, such view should be applied to economics in general, we still have slavery in this era so, not being able to make a hit record it's a mild inconvenience.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
To get a top 40 sound you need gear. period.

To compete with the top 40. You NEED expensive gear & an expensive acoustic environment. Show me a top 40 song made on a scarlet solo and a rode nt1 or anything that wasn't made on a $10,000-$100,000+ setup in this last decade or hell since the year 2000.

The goal should be whether you are a beginner or a pro is to make money from music. Not get a pat on the back from friends and your mother and turn a few heads because it sounds decent or better than what an absolute beginner would produce. If you are going to spend money make sure it can bring you closer to a top 40 sound because those are the ONLY people making money. PERIOD.
Competing with the top 40 should be the goal from the start of your career to the finish!

The people who are successful in the music industry consist of four types of people.

-Privileged rich kids (major labels) disguising they are not
-Friends of privileged rich kids (major labels) who may get signed disguising they are not
-Drug dealers
-Friends of drug dealers.

Those are the only people that can afford the gear not even to mention the marketing etc....

Then every now and then one of regular normal people like us slips in and gets in one of there circles.

This game is bs if you ask me. You telling me the only way I can get a top 40 sound, compete, and make money off my music is to get lucky and network my way into a rich circle or start selling drugs or go into debt for audio equipment (that will only be one of the many expensive gear pieces I need anyways)?!

99% of people in this country especially at the age of 18-27 cannot afford the gear that is necessary to compete with the people in the top 40.

It's not like the common person can just consistently book studio time either. Studios that have great gear and know what they are doing and are plugged in the circle are often hard to find not to mention the $1,000-$4,000 rate they charge for projects....

If you think about it the music industry is missing out on so many greats. We are only hearing the ideas of the people who are willing risk their freedom and potentially hurt others (drug dealers) and privileged kids (who aren't like the majority of the people they are making music for and about.)

Because they are the only people who can afford it.

They flaunt their money they made off of us in which they off of us by getting us to buy into the false dreams they sell to us. While simultaneously poising the minds of regular men and women like us getting us to look down at each other for not being like them and what ever other ideology they mainstream.

The NBA and NFL is respected because no matter where you come from. EVERYONE for the most part has the same chance to get on that field and compete.

The music game is pay to play. I can't respect that. Yes the top 40 artist are good. But look at all the money and gear they have compared to the average person. That isn't fair. For all I know there is someone out there that if given the same gear and had exactly what they had they would produce something that blows all these guys out the waters. Hell if they spent $10,000-$100,000 and they didn't make something that was amazing it would be embarrassing tbh....

I believe this even more listening to mainstream music and production these days because it isn't even good compared to what it was years ago. It's all just high fidelity and clean sounding crafted with the best gear and most expensive rooms on the planet so of course it is going to sound good.

What I am saying is the song creation lyric writing and production process is the only thing that should separate one another when potential fans listen. Not the sonic characteristics and quality. To get a top 40 sound with the best outboard, ssl, and mics should not cost as much as it does. It shouldn't be out the hands of less fortunate people. It isn't right.
It’s frustrating even when you think you’re talented... but, damn, most of what you’re talking about isn’t even true lol

The fact is that even if you had a magic fairy drop you into your very own brand new amazing studio loaded with every piece of amazing outboard in the world and a live-in engineer, the odds are stacked strongly against you being successful in this business of music.

A few thoughts...
So much stuff is recorded in bedrooms... even with big talent...

There are so many time and pitch based effects put on vox nowadays that I’m convinced that if that’s the sort of music you’re recording, you’re p|ssing money away using an expensive mic or preamp... all of those FX strip any and all of the outboard chain mojo off

some y’all may remember a couple of years ago when Kanye shared a screenshot of his Mac that showed his dumb a$$ was downloading p|rated audio plugins..

Write great stuff... learn how to produce... learn how actually play an instrument and write and arrange music. Treat music as a business, a calling...

This isn’t pimping or dope slinging... It isn't a “game”...
do the work and have a solid plan B
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

What does any of that have to do with you?

I don’t understand... have you written and recorded a giant catalog of amazing music and not been granted your rich and famous wings yet? Have you written, recorded and finished anything at all yet?

What rich person with lots of gear is preventing you from writing and recording music?

Here are the basics: You need a computer, an interface, headphones, mic and software... heck the software probably will come free with your interface.

Do you not have any of the basics? I’m sure you could get all of it given to you for free from GS users.

Back in the day, plenty of folk that were much poorer than anything you’ve mentioned managed to scrape together enough to buy instruments... which, compared to today’s dollars cost a lot more than you’d have to spend to get the basics nowadays.
Old 11th August 2019
Deleted 5cc75a2
fwiw since its been mentioned a few times just thought id add.. many of these a-list artist who laptop produce, the ones I know of anyway, and I am occasionally doing the same thing, are taking those rough productions into world class studios with world class engineers and studio musicians to rerecord and reproduce, process, remix and master for release. at the very least theyre taking those laptop tunes into those environments for mix master checks as well as label powers that be approvals. the big names on big labels dont call the shots. not how it works ime.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
I resonate deeply with OP. Working as a musician in my country is next to impossible, and the ones that do are either rich kids whose parents are very well connected, so they started very young or rock&roll bands that somehow inherit a following from another dead rock&roll band.
I worked as a guitarist and singer for free almost my whole life, doing average jobs to sustain me until I was able to start producing records for other people.

It wasn't until I hit 33 years old that I was able to afford a good studio and decent hardware in my homestudio to make a REALLY GOOD SOUNDING record for my own songs. The rich kids are already 15 years ahead of me because all of the detours I had to make to accomplish my goal.

BUT

it's an unfair world, such view should be applied to economics in general, we still have slavery in this era so, not being able to make a hit record it's a mild inconvenience.
thank you man. keep pushing man as am I. don't ever let people try to shut you up when you speak up about the reality of the situation either.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search