The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The music game isn't gonna be respected until everyone has the same chance.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYXCKO View Post
That song is a meme type of song. Old town road is anomaly. If that is your only example then my point stands proven. Plus he could possibly be a one hit wonder. I'm taking about competing with real top dogs. Drake. J cole. Post Molane. Etc... I was talking about actual longevity success not anomalies.
Goalpost moved successfully. /s
Gear matters but skills, attention, being on time, communication skills, diligence and job discernment trumps it. A bit of luck helps too.

Although, on second thought, I must admit, human psychology plays it's role, as it does in any business interaction. What I see more and more it engineers really start to play games trying to conform to customer expectations. No huge "spaceship" racks in a control room? Not working in Pro Tools? No DW Collector's drumset? You said you were pro, didn't you?
Old 8th August 2019
I heard Andrew Sheps talking about him using software exclusively for the last couple years to finish off his masterings/mixes for several high end productions.

But ye I know you are talking about the recording aspect.

In berlin the most influential studios like Hansa or Red Bull will give you the chance to record your stuff for hours and it costs like 150 $ a day.

Well known mastering engineers using gear that cost a fortune or two are mastering tracks for like 75 $ nowadays.

Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
The music industry will be saved when the need for quality affordable recording gear is met. They are trying but not there yet. I actually see a lot more focus on creating high quality affordable mixing options but not recording.

How many high quality (in ratio comparing from the camera example I just linked to a pro cinema camera) LDC's under 1,000 can you name off the top of your head? How do they compare to a u47, Sony c8000g with Russian tubes?

How many amazing tube compressors can you name that is under $1,000 that compares to a tube tech?

Only person I noticed taking charge to fulfill this need is Steven slate.
Yes. Recording studios have an edge in that they should have a range of recording/tracking gear (high-end mics, etc.) that home-studios don't carry but they need to provide for a range of clients and dates. Home studio you just need one great mic.

The situation you describe - the game - was worse in the 70's (pre-digital). Always a million miles away from studio quality recording and mixing.

Q: How many turbo-charged sportcars can you name under $40K that'll smoke a Mercedes-AMG GT Coupé?
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSociety View Post
I heard Andrew Sheps talking about him using software exclusively for the last couple years to finish off his masterings/mixes for several high end productions.

But ye I know you are talking about the recording aspect.

In berlin the most influential studios like Hansa or Red Bull will give you the chance to record your stuff for hours and it costs like 150 $ a day.

Well known mastering engineers using gear that cost a fortune or two are mastering tracks for like 75 $ nowadays.

If only I lived around those areas.

Yes a lot of mastering engineers have adapted and have a lot of affordable options even the best are like $250....

The part about sheps I believe it. I do believe we are finally reaching a point where we can indeed mix itb but you NEED tracks recorded on an a amazing mic with a amazing room and pre etc... so the a affordable piece of the puzzle is missing and still not attainable for most unless you live in a fortunate area with affordable high quality studios with great gear or you have money for the gear.

Which is why for me; who doesn't in a live in city with high quality studios and can't afford gear. Making music is a waste of time tbh if my goal is to chase a top dog.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Yes. Recording studios have an edge in that they should have a range of recording/tracking gear (high-end mics, etc.) that home-studios don't carry but they need to provide for a range of clients and dates. Home studio you just need one great mic.

The situation you describe - the game - was worse in the 70's (pre-digital). Always a million miles away from studio quality recording and mixing.

Q: How many turbo-charged sportcars can you name under $40K that'll smoke a Mercedes-AMG GT Coupé?
True. Which is how I can't understand how since 1970, how have they have made a lot of effort to meet the need for high quality but affordable mixing options but totally ignored and skipped over the more important recording process. That's where all the focus should be tbh....

The question about the sports car in my opinion is a different example that is somewhat relative to what we are discussing but I feel as

1) music and film making are both arts so I used these examples in correlation to the developing tech in those sectors because there issues correlate the most similar.

The goal is to make art and not have the customer consciously or subconsciously decipher the difference between it's popular and leading mainstream counterparts. The tech must be affordable and of amazing quality.

That camera example I linked met that goal so it is possible. Hell they are doing it with mixing as well. Just not Recording.
Old 8th August 2019
The first part sounds good; but despite the geographic/financial obstacles, do 10,000 hours with whatever tools you have, then you'll be ready once the opportunity arises. Not sure about artists but many successful audio engineers come from humble origins...making tea, learning maintenance, etc.

Best
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear
I own LOTS of high end recording gear. I worked my arse off for it playing gigs, teaching and saving. No silver spoons or drug dealing. The cost here in Australia is also 1.5x due to our dollar as well. Most people here do some version of the same and also work very hard. I just don’t understand why the default assumption should be that everyone should magically be able to own gear for record top 40 record making in order for the music industry respected. Wtf? I’m sorry but I see this as an incredibly entitled. U want gear, work hard and earn it one piece at a time. Saving enough to buy a nice car is easily enough to get u in the game. It’s not THAT hard if u are actually serious. Personally owning the equipment to record world class top 40 music is not a human right or a UN development goal.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

This thread premise is hilarious and sad, the entitlement is amazing really.

Quote:
Making music is a waste of time tbh if my goal is to chase a top dog.
That statement is true, I agree with you. So why are you doing it? Do something else.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

What @ SYXCKO is your age, race, sex, socioeconomic background, where you live, etc.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
The goal is to make art and not have the customer consciously or subconsciously decipher the difference between it's popular and leading mainstream counterparts. The tech must be affordable and of amazing quality.
No, in music industry the goal is to make a product.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear

SYXCKO - where can we hear your tunes?

If it's good - Im betting there will be a number of people here who are willing to spend money to push your stuff.

Also - Both of my parents died before I was 16. They left me nothing to speak of except the desire to be a musician (which they both were - which is why they had nothing to leave me!). I worked my way through school and and don't ever recall I made any money selling drugs.

Nobody owes you anything. Get that through your head (and heart). You want to use $million equipment, then go intern for free at studios and production companies. And sweep the floors and get them coffee (like I did).

Sorry I have no respect for _ "If I only had this and that" - Go make your own break.

And Like I said - just link us to your music - I really want to hear some of this amazing talent that is being repressed by 'the man'.

Love you.
Old 8th August 2019
If everyone was given the same chance, there wouldn't be anything worth chasing any more.

We'd all have the same talents, the same strengths and weaknesses, in effect, if everything was equal, life would be boring as hell because none of us would have the chance at being unique.

Besides, the stuff I play would never be top 40 ~ and I kinda like it that way.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea xxx is another anomaly and so is skrillex but their music genre fits how they were making those records. Not every one makes music like that though. Not to mention that when all of those artist got big so they could continue to compete after the newness of them entering the game wore off they all bought and recorded on expensive gear.

If I wanna make a beautiful clean sounding R&B track or pop track, or trap soul etc I should be able to sonically achieve a commercial sound at affordable price. period. I should not have to go pay a studio $1,000 to get it and have another guy's fingerprint on my art. I also should not have to sell a arm and leg or go into debt to afford the gear either. It should be attainable.

SSL's literally cost $100,000+ and The best mics cost $10,000+ ... that is ridiculous and not right...
Who says you should be able to? Who says you shouldn't have to pay to get it and have another guy's fingerprint on your art? Do you have the skillset of the other guy? I'd guess you don't because you wouldn't be asking the questions of what's not "right".

Who says these professionals who develop products or offer services shouldn't be paid what the market deems fair, so you can feel it's "right"?
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Maniac

@ SYXCKO Where do you live at?
Old 8th August 2019
Damn it I knew it! If I would've just bought that damn API instead of my Honda 20 years ago I could've been a top 40 artist just like that!
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would too but I am not fortunate enough to afford it. Even after 10,000 hours. I am not a trust fund baby nor do I sell drugs and I don't know anyone who owns pro gear that is $10,000 +
LOL dude im probably at triple that and im not a pro or desire to be a pro. I do music for the love of making music, if ur trying to make money doing this good luck.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

@ SYXCKO Unfortunately that is what life is, 'unfair' .....there are plenty of people born into wealth just as there are even more people born into poverty.

All of the greats made it through talent, creativity and self belief, not through being donated the latest tech.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

i guess i'll chime in. Theres been a trillion timeless songs recorded with gear that's not so expensive (michael Jackson, Bono, Madonna, etc). a shure handheld mic has been on tons of hit records. The record responsible for getting drake where he is was done on an mbox and headphones. Ken Lewis (look him up) talked about several hits he recorded on a digi 002 that are still being played in stadiums today. The gear has NOTHING to do with it. the ONLY reason these artists are in the top 40 is because of Promotion and Marketing. that should be just as much a part of the budget as recording. We dont know everything that was used on some of these records but who cares. i've heard a trillion great sounding records that won't get heard by anyone else ever!! You're not getting to the top 40 without Promotion. You can get there easily using cheaper gear if promotion is there!! i've done records for major artists and the bgv's were recorded with a cheap $40 mxl mic! And theres not a soul that knows except me!! That only happened once cause we were in a hotel and had a deadline and thats all i had! but we used the tools that we had and made it work. don't get caught up in this gear thing too much!! Promotion and Marketing should be a priority for an artist just as much as a hot record!! Then you'll get to the top 40. You can do it with a less than steller sounding record. but you can't without great promotion and marketing!!
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

i have a friendly challenge for you SYXCKO. Find 1 example/interview/story/etc where any artist in the history of mankind got on the top 40 without relaionships/promotion/marketing/etc and instead they bought a neve hoping that would get them there!! i've been making a living off this for almost 2 decades and i haven't heard such a story.
Old 9th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
i have a friendly challenge for you SYXCKO. Find 1 example/interview/story/etc where any artist in the history of mankind got on the top 40 without relaionships/promotion/marketing/etc and instead they bought a neve hoping that would get them there!! i've been making a living off this for almost 2 decades and i haven't heard such a story.
I know some folks that own a Neve and a Quad Eight. I dont know any rich megastars though go figure.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
I know some folks that own a Neve and a Quad Eight. I dont know any rich megastars though go figure.
lol. you dont have to know them. just know of anyone that has made it to the top 40 because of an ssl/api/neve/etc. just learn how to make hot records with what you have and learn how to promote it. anyone that thinks they NEED that stuff does not get what this industry is about!!
Old 9th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
lol. you dont have to know them. just know of anyone that has made it to the top 40 because of an ssl/api/neve/etc. just learn how to make hot records with what you have and learn how to promote it. anyone that thinks they NEED that stuff does not get what this industry is about!!
Yeah hell, Mr Quad Eight is one of them proggy jazz cats, he aint going top 40 ever. One of the A-Designs preamps is his own take on one of his Quad Eight channels hah. He even named after home, the Ventura.
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Show me a top 40 song made on a scarlet solo and a rode nt1 or anything that wasn't made on a $10,000-$100,000+ setup in this last decade or hell since the year 2000.
Show me a top 40 song in that time range that doesn't totally suck by almost any standard besides profit.
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

Sorry but this is kind of sad.
You haven’t even mentioned if you aspire to be a musician or a music producer.
Talent will always outshine gear.
If you have talent then just stay active and play and write and never stop.
Do it for yourself and not for the money. Back in the day people were signed on the strength of demo tapes which meant cassettes, sometimes recorded on standard tape decks.
If you have no talent then the best mic in the world makes zero difference.
I look at home studios on the internet and wonder how they afforded all that gear too but I rarely hear anything good come out of these people.
Think of all the super expensive guitars sitting under people’s beds.
Some may have thought it was their ticket to ride only to find out they still suck at guitar.
Expensive gear is only good in the right hands and you can learn to be one of those people with modest tools and the proper time invested.
Old 9th August 2019
They should merge this into the 'What is the point of making hip-hop anymore' thread. Ill bring the tissues.
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Addict

Bryon Tiller - "Don't"

#13 on Billboard Hot 100
#4 on Hip Hop/R&B Charts

Recorded on a Rode NT1a and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Bryson Tiller recorded DON'T with a Rode NT1A !
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Head

The bottom line is on mixwiththemasters, sound on sound, anytime I watch some masterclass from some engineer who is successful they say buy the most expensive mics (U47, U87, Sony c800gs...). They only say they MIX with plugins sometimes which I believe it's so they can sell some of their plugins and they need more interaction from the people watching their videos. They always recommend the most expensive gear and in their setups they have the most expensive gear.

To compete commercially. you need it.

The only people who say **** like gear doesn't matter is the unsuccessful dreamers on this forum. I am going to take the advice from pros who made it over your opions js....

Who quotes ken leiws too? I literally have a quote from him on this forum where he stated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
My C800G was one of the very best long term investments I've ever made. I've used it on plenty of rappers with success, but it certainly is only one of a dozen ways to go. But especially back when i was doing alot of tracking for producers, this mic never ever lost a blind shootout, where i'd put maybe 3 mics all together, all thru the same type of chain, keep the console unlabeled so the producer wouldnt know which was which, and let the singer sing, and let the producer listen A/B/C. My C800G never lost a battle, and was plenty of times up against U47's, C12's, Milab, AKG's, many different mic's, and i was not the one picking it, it was always a blind producer choice.

So, there you have it. Having said that, the C800G's at Daddy's House sound kinda like ass, but i think that has alot to do with old tubes in need of replacing, and really sketchy power in the building.
reference: Has anyone used/own a SONY c800g MIC?

You all are delusional. I am not 5 years old. I am a grown ass young man. If I am really trying make music happen and make money and live off my passion I need to stop ignoring the blatant obvious. You are not competing with commercial projects if you don't at the very least have the same 4,,000-10,000 mic they all use let alone all the other gear they have.

Stop being dreamers.

If you own a studio and don't have a sony c800g in a era where hip hop is #1 and every major project uses that mic you are setting your self up for failure.

Why as a artist would I pay for studio time if I know the end result is not going to be what it would be if I were to spend my money on a studio that does have the best gear?

You can't cut finical corners in music. It will sink your operation fast. You need gear. Period. Or You are wasting your time....

In this era you truly start getting success not only when you can impress the regular people and fans who don't make music; but when can impress other engineers and producers with your projects you will start to make a name for yourself. A&Rs have good ears just like us to impress them you would have to ask yourself "would my project impress and blow away other fellow mixing engineers and producers?"

if so then you probably have good ass music and will see success soon because if it impresses someone who makes and mixes music you know for sure it will impress regular people who do not make music.
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkr View Post
Bryon Tiller - "Don't"

#13 on Billboard Hot 100
#4 on Hip Hop/R&B Charts

Recorded on a Rode NT1a and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Bryson Tiller recorded DON'T with a Rode NT1A !
gimmeck.

+ he got pushed he is industry plant he had a HUGE promo budget. I know the brother of the A&R that found him and developed him.

Not to mention the rest of the songs on that album were not recorded with that and he is no longer using that setup... I wonder why?
Old 10th August 2019
Maybe branch out and listen to more than like Beyonce and Kanye West? They dont represent the entire music industry?

You keep saving them pennies for your SSL, you'll still be posting here afterwards without a record contract.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Maybe branch out and listen to more than like Beyonce and Kanye West? They dont represent the entire music industry?

You keep saving them pennies for your SSL, you'll still be posting here afterwards without a record contract.
They are at the top. I love hip hop and R&B. I don't want to hear or make any other music and america and the world feels the same as it's been the leading genre since 2000. You sound like a hater....

Keep dreaming thinking gear don't matter you will eventually be at guitar center with no records and a wanna be has been.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search