The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I cant find the damn thread where you can show off your studio
Old 3rd August 2019
Here for the gear

I cant find the damn thread where you can show off your studio

Or was it removed or something? I am worried if I share my studio outside the ONE 'official' thread that the POLICE will come after me.

I was riding in a city bus one day and I saw a city worker blowing cruft from the sidewalks with one of those obnoxious blower machines. Thing is, there wasn't even anything to blow. It got me thinking... why are humans so OBSESSIVE? That they will destroy a peaceful, quiet moment with a screeching machine that is meant to clean the outside world? What are we even cleaning it from? And why?

Thinking about how obsessive and regimented humans are. That blower? Years of engineering rules on how to make one. Rules on the safety of the device and what notices must be provided to consumers. The person doing the blowing? On a strictly regimented schedule when the city requires his attendance. The engineers who built the blower? Static structure imposed on them to attend work to build this idiotic leaf blowing thing that has no real purpose.

Society? Regulated. Dating? Regulated. You can't hit on girls at work because they're at work, or because they're taken by somebody else, or because their online dating profile says "only here to check things out, don't bother writing me". If you can actually date somebody, there comes another plethora of rules from the rule-book. Do this, don't do that, etc. More systems.

American Medicine -- the most clean-cut machine you'll ever see. The process owns your healthcare treatment, not you or your doctor. Ever try to have a customer support rep do something obvious and required, yet you are denied because it is against policy?

The older I get, the more process I see everywhere. Drive through a McDonald's and check out the legalese on the windows. Hundreds of human beings worked on this verbiage to be so obsessively correct that it could stand against an incredibly obsessive library of penal codes. Ever try reading laws that impact you? Check 'em out and ask yourself if this effort isn't esoteric, over-detailed, and... obsessive.

And that takes me back to GearSlutz. Make one wrong move and post your studio in the wrong thread and you'll be banned. The police are always watching. Everywhere. The words I'd use to describe the current situation is: over-regulation, complexity, rigidity, process-domination, narrowly-focused, stifled, inefficient, unable to change, lacking flexibility, etc. Institutionalism as a principle has trickled even into online forums like GearSlutz, StackOverflow, Reddit, etc. Conformity to strict rigidity has caused me to leave most, if not all, internet gathering places.

Philosophy pointed out the dissolution of the individual to the institution. We used to fight back. In the present time, we have internalized the dissolution and happily administer it to others, because it gives us a false sense of victory over something we know we cannot change. So Sad! Disaster! Make the individual great again, as I say
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

In the Low End Theory section there is the "Show Me Your Low End Room" thread, and in the So Much Gear So Little Time section there is " Show Us Pictures of Your DAW Workstation/Desk Setup" thread. So they have not gone away.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search