The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The problem and the truth.
Old 2nd August 2019
Gear Head

The problem and the truth.

This is what I see and how I feel.

There is a lot of info online about different mixing, production processes.

The problem though that I feel is that we are learning from people who are good but they aren't first. Skrillex, Serban Ghnea, etc is first. So everyone who works with them and collabs with them will see their process and get taught from the dude that everyone is chasing. Therefore actually learning something useful and gaining the ability to produce what people want to hear and want to BUY.

These days in my opinion there is only 1st place in commercial music. Not literally but very few artist are actually making money. Only the people leading. People are much more concerned with HOW something sounds whether than is the song good. (talking about actual music fans who spend money on music. Not internet fans.)

Every new project the best in what ever genre drops; they craft a new amazing sounding artificial sonic landscape that sets the bar even higher.

Even if the song you mixed and produced is a good composition now the fan is subconsciously comparing how the mix sounds compared to post molane , skrillex, serban ghnea etc. That's where a lot of us lose because there isn't public information of "the best"'s production processes.

Unless you know how the #1 guy's camp is doing it you are always going to a step behind and sure you might turn a few heads with your composition but why would everyone gravitate and spend their limited money on you if they can easily just use their limited resources (money) on the guy who has a great composition plus a mix that is way more artificial but sonically pleasing + it's new sound they never heard that just set the bar 10x higher.

From internet fan to audiophiles we all have access and have heard the best and no matter the project indie or unknown we all are going to compare what we are listening too vs ____ (our subjective top 2 in that genre which is usually the guy with the most fans cause he has the best sound + composition) then decide is this worth spending MONEY on.

All the best are doing every new project is building upon and slightly altering the process that makes them money. The same goes for people with the network of people they collab with. They all know the process on how to create a sound people are BUYING and they don't share it to anyone that is not in there network.

The problem is we have to know the recipe and the process if we want to replicate it.

If we all own a craw-fish shack in new orleans, and some new guy moved in and he has new crawfish spice and recipe that blows everyone else out the waters. Everyone in town knows now that is the best and what is popular know so it's cool to spend money on that now cause it taste good and everyone else is doing it.

You have three options now as a owner.

1) become a ****ing genius and produce a better recipe.
2) become his friend and see if he shares his recipe.
3) steal his recipe somehow some way. (this is hard to do in scenarios like music and mixing.)

It's why the top 30 songs are all mixed by the same network of engineers. It's why a new artist goes viral and gets signed that label then gets him to get mixed consistently by that same little network.
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Somewhat true but all of the tricks of the trade are out there across the internet. Mix with the masters; get a subscription and study the techniques. Eventually you will start thinking creatively with the tricks and tools you know. If you're trying to compete with the top engineers, that's a different game of networking and personality. Get your A game on.
Old 8th August 2019
Why bother, the Illuminati's inner sanctum of the music industry have an inside track with the Devil and his slick compression algos, I am doomed to live on cheese.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYXCKO View Post
You have three options now as a owner.

1) become a ****ing genius and produce a better recipe.
2) become his friend and see if he shares his recipe.
3) steal his recipe somehow some way. (this is hard to do in scenarios like music and mixing
Or you can use a fourth option:

Stand in the middle of a pentagram with a pure white goat and a black cockerel - sacrifice them both and offer your soul to the Dark Lord. Offer your frustrations and impotence to Lucifer, for he will release you from their puny hold - you can join us, 'We' of the illuminati. We who have become his servants. We who, like Slate, CLA, Serbian, Jay Z, Kanye and many other chosen disciples enjoy stupendous success and wealth.

No need to be like the other fools who struggle sincerely for years, perfecting their art, working patiently and devotedly. Fools who stay humble and positive in the knowledge that their success may or may not come - but continue anyway through love and dedication, refraining from envious tirades targeting 'We' who have taken the other route.

I pity those fools. I scoff at their sincerity for they are the problem, and 'We' are the Truth.

Join us - join 'We' of the illuminati and enjoy the dark sensuality of supreme success!
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Maniac

@ noiseflaw

Please stop giving away the secrets of the dark arts. The dark lord is already busy helping my music career; I dont need the market saturated.
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear

@OP
Start thinking less and spend more time honing your skills
Instead of writing long moaning threads on GS, not yet famous Skrillex was surely just working his butt off.
Old 17th August 2019
Old 17th August 2019
Gear Head

Old 20th August 2019
Jules wuz here

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search