The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So, producing music nowadays is like betting in the casino or Forex market
Old 29th July 2019
  #1
So, producing music nowadays is like betting in the casino or Forex market

I have been doing music with computers, and involved with related subjects since I am 10 or so years old. I used the first version of Fruity Loops, the Virtual Sampler for Windows (the most similar thing now is Kontakt) and composed MOD tracks using Impulse Tracker. I'm not that old though, just 38.

But I'm astonished today with the amount of spam and ads I see along the lines of "you like producing music, then BUY THIS COURSE, THIS INSTRUMENT, THIS SH*TY VST, AND BECOME A HIT MAKER TODAY!!" ... sh*t and sh*t.... "Be the next Hans Zimmer", "You're so cool that we need your money to let you know you're still cool"....

Stop it! Please.

P.S. Yeah, argentinean wine can make you write stuff like this..
Old 29th July 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
zvukofor's Avatar
IMO the biggest part of modern music business is in selling plugins, hardware and learning videos. It is an industry, and it doesnt has anything with making music. Yet, thanks to this industry we have less expensive better quality tools nowadays.
Old 29th July 2019
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Yeah look at this site, full of it ! but it pays the bills I guess !

You just got to switch off and ignore it, the spammers/bots etc all know we're all sitting in front of screens so that's their captive market.

The net was given over to the public as a free resource, but you know the old saying "nothing in life is free"
Old 29th July 2019
  #4
I block each individual spammer, but amazingly they keep comin back, spam isn't as bad as it was in the early 2000s, you should have seen how bad my inbox was back then for spam.
Old 30th July 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
esldude's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderian View Post
snip....

P.S. Yeah, argentinean wine can make you write stuff like this..
Hey, Argentinean Malbec is pretty good stuff if you ask me.
Old 30th July 2019
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
Hey, Argentinean Malbec is pretty good stuff if you ask me.
Indeed, I'm a Malbec lover
Old 8th July 2020
  #7
Here for the gear
 

You kind of have a point, dude. Frankly speaking, the luck doesn't play the main role at the poker, like at the music, of course, it's important, but the talent is the main key to success. It goes without saying, that there are a lot of countries where gambling is legalized, however, I think gambling is a fine thing because it gives you a possibility to play with your friends at home since there is a possibility to raise your experience with their help. Since I gamble a lot I think best gambling works online (currently I gamble on mobile app, which you can test - download apk mobile) since you won't risk as in physical place. How do you think guys? Am I right about it?
Old 11th July 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
syntheticrhyme's Avatar
Those ads are super annoying. I'm constantly being bombarded telling me I don't need to be able to play a single chord to make songs, lol.
Old 11th July 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
I get them as well and they're annoying. It's usually people trying to be upbeat to sell something etc.

Many people know music production, but very few people know how to make actual records, and those who do know, are the ones making the $$$ (and don't do tutorials). That's what I noticed in general.

I did buy masterclass and checked out Timbaland and Deadmau5, and wow they're so talented. I'd take advice from really accomplished people over any other wannabe producer.
Old 18th July 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
It's part of the learning curve. Newbies don't understand audio mixing because you can only understand certain concepts in incremental steps. It's such a frustrating process that they tend to look for plugins that might solve a certain problem at that given part of the learning process. Then they start to understand everything, eventually, and settle with the plugins that suites their workflow the best.

I don't think you can change human nature.
Old 19th July 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
It's part of the learning curve. Newbies don't understand audio mixing because you can only understand certain concepts in incremental steps. It's such a frustrating process that they tend to look for plugins that might solve a certain problem at that given part of the learning process. Then they start to understand everything, eventually, and settle with the plugins that suites their workflow the best.

I don't think you can change human nature.
One thing they rarely learn in my opinion is to write or produce songs that a lot of people will gravitate towards, because I'm unsure how it can be taught.
Old 19th July 2020
  #12
Gear Guru
 

Am I the only one seeing the irony in

1. the OP complaining about advertising and commercialism related to our industry,
2. the thread going dead for almost an entire year, and
3. then is resurrected by a bot posting spam and people then continue to respond to it?...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
One thing they rarely learn in my opinion is to write or produce songs that a lot of people will gravitate towards, because I'm unsure how it can be taught.
I agree completely, I don't see a way to learn how to do that.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Guru
 

I guess it's just me then..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I guess it's just me then..
Nah not just you. Not sure how the bot got skipped over?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
One thing they rarely learn in my opinion is to write or produce songs that a lot of people will gravitate towards, because I'm unsure how it can be taught.
IDK.
I noticed Honda has two - 2 NOTES for their jingle everytime their commercial starts. NBC had three. I suppose the actual lyrics are "Hon-Da..."
Most catchy pop songs are essentially jingles.
So one with an imagination could build a song from there if that is the chorus. Every other note and lyric leads back to that.
And, with the influx of techno, you can simply repeat every 8 bars for 3 minutes. That's a song. Especially if the vocalist is pretty to look at.


If I sound old and bitter, it's probably because I am not very pretty to look at and can only count to seven.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Addict
 

Pop Mega Star job interview:

So, MixedSignals, what would you say is your greatest weakness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
I am not very pretty to look at and can only count to seven.
Ok, thanks, we'll call you.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme View Post
Those ads are super annoying. I'm constantly being bombarded telling me I don't need to be able to play a single chord to make songs, lol.
That young brownish dude with the afro?

soevenifyoudontknowanychordslikeme...

Man I hate that ad.

What does Youtube think who I am?






He's not lying, though. You can "make" music like that these days.
Old 7 hours ago
  #19
Here for the gear
 

it's so disappointing that you definitely need money to become popular...
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump