The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sample Rate
Old 27th July 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 
Dailymc's Avatar
Sample Rate

Right...

I have a great live recording of an old band I was in, recorded straight down on to DAT in 48Mhz.
Thing is, the mix down from DAT via Pro Tools was mistakenly recorded in 44.1Mhz.
Problem being; I cannot for the life of me find the original DAT tape, so all I have of this great live recording is of the 48Mhz in 44.1Mhz, whereby, as you know, sounds sluggishly slow.
Is there anyway around this, or am I doomed to constantly listening to it ssslllloooowwww......
PS; I can NOT Adam & Eve 2 things;
1, I allowed someone else to perform this task ... AND...
2; Gave him the only DAT tape of the only recording?!

Any help would be mucho appreciated!
Old 28th July 2019
  #2
If you have a DAT tape at 48 MHz you have a one and only. DAT tapes are recorded at 48 KHz or 44.1 KHz. (slight difference) FWIW

I can do what you need done. Send me a Private Message. Thanks.
Old 28th July 2019
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
HerbDelux's Avatar
 

Im pretty sure you can do some math (or find a website with a cool tool to do it for you), and calculate the speed change that occurs between 48khz ---> 44.1khz. And then Speed up the new file by that exact ratio.
Old 29th July 2019
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailymc View Post
Right...

I have a great live recording of an old band I was in, recorded straight down on to DAT in 48Mhz.
Thing is, the mix down from DAT via Pro Tools was mistakenly recorded in 44.1Mhz.
Problem being; I cannot for the life of me find the original DAT tape, so all I have of this great live recording is of the 48Mhz in 44.1Mhz, whereby, as you know, sounds sluggishly slow.
Is there anyway around this, or am I doomed to constantly listening to it ssslllloooowwww......
PS; I can NOT Adam & Eve 2 things;
1, I allowed someone else to perform this task ... AND...
2; Gave him the only DAT tape of the only recording?!

Any help would be mucho appreciated!
Easiest thing in the world to fix

Essentially you have a 48k WAV file, timestamped as 44.1

So assuming it's been clocked correctly (ie the file isn't clicking etc), then all you have to do is start a new pro tools session at 48k, import the WAV, but uncheck "use sample rate conversion". This will import the file and timestamp it as 48k, but won't otherwise change it. Pro Tools will then play back your correctly timestamped file that bit faster

If you don't have pro tools I'm sure most DAWs will do this - the important things to note are 1) start the new session at 48k and 2) DON'T use sample rate correction when importing.
Old 30th July 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
esldude's Avatar
You also can convert it with Audacity using the change speed function. Open it, and speed it up by a factor 8.844 %. Then it will sound the right speed though it will still be 44.1 khz. Pscyho Monkey's solution is better.
Old 30th July 2019
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
You also can convert it with Audacity using the change speed function. Open it, and speed it up by a factor 8.844 %. Then it will sound the right speed though it will still be 44.1 khz. Pscyho Monkey's solution is better.
That will work, although you're resampling then, and warping the audio, which will most likely cause audible artefacts.

Importing without sample rate converting literally plays the samples at the right speed, so will sound exactly the same as if it had been done correctly in the first place

Audacity might well be able to do it this way too of course...I'd bet reaper could if audacity can't!

Or just send to a friend with Pro Tools...
Old 30th July 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
esldude's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
That will work, although you're resampling then, and warping the audio, which will most likely cause audible artefacts.

Importing without sample rate converting literally plays the samples at the right speed, so will sound exactly the same as if it had been done correctly in the first place

Audacity might well be able to do it this way too of course...I'd bet reaper could if audacity can't!

Or just send to a friend with Pro Tools...
There is no doubt Audacity can do this. I've done it for similar reasons. And the artifacts of this are way down below any level to worry about.

There is no doubt your method is better as close to nothing is involved other than telling playback to use a different rate.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump