The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Great guitarists saying they don't listen to other guitarists
Old 4 weeks ago
Great guitarists saying they don't listen to other guitarists

I'm a huge fan of Guthrie Govan and other great players like Marty Friedman etc.

I was reading an interview with Guthrie the other day on the new Aristocrats album and the interviewer asked him what guitarists he likes to listen to. He gave an answer that just grinds my gears every time I hear it - says he doesn't listen to guitar music. I've come across that answer in so many interviews with great players. I get it, you've played a ton and probably get bored listening to others play, but it's just such a condescending answer in some ways - Oh I'm way above guitar and only listen to sax players or pianists or some other thing...

Marty Friedman regularly pisses on instrumental guitar music in interviews while simultaneously releasing instrumental guitar albums every two years. The madness has to stop!

Embrace your nature - you love playing millions of notes and shredding up the fretboard - you don't need to pretend you're somehow above it by avoiding listening to other players.

Pointless moan over lol.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, well...thing is, that music is no fun to listen to. It's fun to play....but kinda sucks to listen to. So this actually makes sense.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, what people say publicly is what they want to project to others. In private I’m sure he’s listening to the competition.
Old 4 weeks ago
Me, I listen to loads of different guitar players -- in a myriad of styles. But I'm no guitar auteur.

I've definitely come across the approach of not listening to other players in your own style/discipline before. Typically, it seems those who take that approach appear to be avoiding picking up others' innovations or locking into their own distinctive licks -- but I've also come across many an instrumental soloist who tends to listen to OTHER instruments and often other styles looking for inspiration.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search