The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your Music....And Smart Devices and Surveillance and the Use of AI
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Nut

Your Music....And Smart Devices and Surveillance and the Use of AI

Now its no secret that various methods employed through our Smart devices can be used to spy on us most of which many people probably don't even think or care about but as someone who has never really been happy or comfortable with this type of technology being slowly pushed upon us and aware of things that probably the vast majority of the population don't believe is out there or being sneakily pushed onto the newer generation so it becomes "normal"

...something got me thinking the other day about how I have most of my own compositions/Recordings (well over 700) on my Smart devices to listen to at my own pleasure,none of which have ever been commercially released,if your phone or smart device can be used to listen in to conversations or find out details of you by governments could it also be used to be able to hear the Music you have stored on there,if so whats to stop whatever secret societies that spy on us to lift your own music and pass it off to other people to profit from this,i.e. selling off compositions to pass off as there own work.

Ok perhaps might seem a little far fetched but these things I think about quite a lot,certainly seeing as you may have a certain genre of artist on your phone and when connecting to the internet you normally get loads of other artists of a similar genre being recommended to you from your apps and perhaps your own music is massively similar whats to stop your music being utilised in some secret way without you knowing.

I know its an inspirational thing that your music choices inevitably will come out in your own compositions but it's really odd that in the past I have composed certain chord progressions/Melodies and then some of the artist that influence me have composed something vaguely similar afterwards,or pretty close to my own stuff,normally I would find this works the other way that my own stuff would come out similarly,Ok I get that those inspirations will have some influence on my Music but with all this spying/Sureveillance in this day and age I find it very odd,sometimes I think the similarities are little bit too close for comfort,who knows what AI methods/algorthyms are being utilised to find out everything we say/do

whats your thoughts?
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

My thought is .... welcome to the Moan Zone
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Maniac
Have you considered the vague possibility that it’s not the “smart devices” (assuming they exist) but the fact that you’re into a genre of music which is extremely self referential, conformist and derivative? In other words, it’s not the illuminati, it’s you mate!
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Secret societies? Stealing private half-baked synth noodling off devices owned by some rando?

Lay off the bong for a bit?
Old 12th July 2019
Play my tunes backwards and they are gibberish, play them forwards and they are...well...gibberish too

With one foot on the bar stool, the other in the twilight zone!
Old 12th July 2019
Deleted c985153
I don't think it would be worth anyone's time or energy to steal people's original compositions in that way. Your identity, property, and soul? Yes. Your compositions? Probably not.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Guru

One of the weirdest things I've heard with one of my tracks is, this was about 2 years ago, I heard someone playing one of my tracks in their car whilst driving somewhere in Russia/Ukraine, how do I know this, well to show what a small world it is, I watch a lot of road rage/car crash dash cam You-tube videos when bored, and one particular video this woman was listening to a track of mine in her car whilst yelling out in Russian about the crash she was witnessing..lol true story I kid you not.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Maniac

I don't have a smartphone. You're not obligated to have one you know?
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

computers aren't magical and AI is hardly johnny 5 or skynet or something, if someone's selling your data, then there's a money trail, but computers don't just magically decide they want to take your music and do things with it, it's still people who do that.

For some perspective, I do computer automation for a living, and work with teams that are doing AI and machine learning, so basically, compared to the reality of what's actually going on, this just sounds paranoid as hell to me. The amount of money that needs to go into doing even basic AI type stuff is pretty dramatic, none the less doing music/sound analysis type AI? There would be a huge money trail. You'd expect to see defense contractors with that kind of budget before you would some sort of marketing/sales/shyster people trying to "scam" you out of your data.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

It's mostly deceptibots, cookie monsters etc looking to steal your personal and financial info, gather advertising data, or to co-opt some of your device's processing/storage. Your synth jams are a low priority target.

To test this theory: upload your synth jams, samples, finished songs etc to an appropriately titled YouTube channel. Separately, upload your personal info, bank account info, credit card #s , passwords and shopping accounts, search and purchase history etc to a different appropriately named YouTube channel. Announce both channels on the relevant subreddits. Compare traffic on both YouTube channels - find out what people really want from you (spoiler alert: it's money!)

PS - this is a thought experiment. Don't actually do the second channel with your real info. That's stuff people WILL actually steal. You're lucky if anyone listens to your music, never mind steals it!
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

As for Alexa Google Smart:Piano.... don't buy one. You don't need or even want one. They could probably be hacked, but they won't be. It's not like nanny-cams, where there's already a darkweb full of customers waiting with bated breath and hands, willing to pay big bucks to illicitly access someone's Smart:Piano. The demand just isn't the same. No hope for humanity, or only more monkey business? I can't tell you, otherwise L. Lou Minotti will steal my data and unfriend me.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

A large majority of "AI" on the market is all glorified search indexing and text analysis, And just fancy curve math, like statistical analysis, glorified calculus. For example, ElasticSearch is one of the huge pushers of machine learning right now. None of that tech works on sound/audio, it's all around search indexing and keywords and it's based around a text based search language.

The amount of money that would have to go into audio AI/ML type stuff to pull off what the OP is saying, you wouldn't be able to do that without anyone noticing.
Old 12th July 2019
I broke an electric toothbrush head. Got on the net 2 hours later, spoke nothing about it to anyone, as it's not a big deal. What do I see on facebook? Electronic toothbrush heads.

Go to another forum I go on, electric toothbrush heads. Sh*t you not.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Don't worry about it. The chemtrails have been stealing my ideas for decades now. Relax in the safety of your own delusions!
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

I just make total sh*te music that no human or AI would want to steal
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

my thoughts… well: phones suck.
they have average DACs (in the very best scenario) and insufficient volume levels.
i never use phones for whatever music-related. only dedicated players, only old school.
some people think that voluntarily degrading their hearing by listening music on crappy devices is convenient, but i found this just uncomfortable.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Nut
You have absorbed other's language and taste. That's good. Time to evolve experiencing something different to mix your blend.

Also, relax
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I just make total sh*te music that no human or AI would want to steal
That's the stuff they're stealing to put on the pop music charts these days, though.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
my thoughts… well: phones suck.
they have average DACs (in the very best scenario) and insufficient volume levels.
i never use phones for whatever music-related. only dedicated players, only old school.
some people think that voluntarily degrading their hearing by listening music on crappy devices is convenient, but i found this just uncomfortable.
Wat.

This is completely false. An iPhone has more volume on tap than most consumer audio interfaces.

They do not have average DACs either. They actually rate quite highly for people that don't believe in bullsh!t.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
One of the weirdest things I've heard with one of my tracks is, this was about 2 years ago, I heard someone playing one of my tracks in their car whilst driving somewhere in Russia/Ukraine
Quite likely some Ukranian/Russian producer or label took your track from youtube/soundcloud or wherever you published it and released it in Ukraine/Russia passing it off as his own creation and is therefore making money off it.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict
I have huge investment in aluminum.
Don't try to FOIL my fun!
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

I mean, I’ve got no doubt that our “smart” devices are listening and tracking everything. I started testing this a couple years ago when I started a new job and Facebook started recommending “friends” to me from my training class, despite the fact that my profile is under a pseudonym and I had no mutual friends with anyone in the class (I very intentionally do not exist online and have not for many many years). I started exploring it a little further when a friend would stop by and start talking with me about some very esoteric topics, which google would then auto suggest after only entering the first 2-3 characters (for instance, my friend started talking about the “Bonus Army” and that being the first suggestion from google after only typing in the letters “BON”). It’s definitely a thing.

But I’m really not concerned about them stealing my unreleased, unshared music on my phone. It could happen, but for what purpose? Is it really likely to be stolen and used somewhere else, completely uncatagorized, with the unwashed masses that are intentionally putting music out there under Creative Commons or whatever? Even if if it is, how am I or anyone else going to hear it given the state of things in 2019? If someone wants to steal my modular farts and doesn’t credit me and I never hear about it, I’m not sure who was hurt. I can’t imagine why it would be so compelling that they’d have to steal it in a clandestine fashion vs getting approval from others happy to give work away. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but even as someone who may be a bit more paranoid that most I still cannot see the point...sh1t, just message me and we can work it out if you’re that fixated on my work.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

My music only ever gets sole from my stupid device by artificial stupidity.
I think this means I gon be famous dog.
Next time you hears a stupid song you know what to do.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Maniac
dear op
head over here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Maniac

I remember mixing Sun is Shining off Kaya by Bob Marley with Basic Channel Phylyps Trak II/I a few months before Finlay Qaye released his tune...

Pretty sure my Sony HI-FI wasnt listening in

Frankly, you lost me at "secret societies"
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

You are totally right. The rest of these bozos are either in denial or government schills. They all think having a internet enabled camera on their telly is great and that 1984 is soo long ago; instead of just up around the bend. Keep kicking against the fascists.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Guru

1984 and the whole 'big Brother ideology is as real as it gets imo, if you don't think so then you are being very ignorant and naive. We are fast becoming highly controlled at every vantage point and we aren't even resisting in the slightest, we offer up our details like starving children to a mothers breast. iPhones are magnificent devices for control, we even offer up our finger prints without question. The more you look at what's going on around us with CC TV and cameras, satellites, controlled internet "NBN" everything is being digitized at an alarming rate, cash money is being taken down around the world and there isn't much anyone can do about it. The use of fear by governments is really working in regard to the way they can push security and control which is all masked as 'a better safer world'

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist nutjob here as I'm not, first and foremost I'm a huge believer in science, not faith, not religion, not psudeoscience, not creationism or conspiracy theorism, but.. the day those twin towers went down was a huge turning point in our march towards Big Brother.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
An iPhone has more volume on tap than most consumer audio interfaces.
They do not have average DACs either. They actually rate quite highly for people that don't believe in bullsh!t.
too expensive for a gear that will become obsolete in a couple of years.
btw, that's the reason why top phones suck.
(and Apple is known to help it, intentionally making older devices work slower and dry the battery faster with every OS update)
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Maniac

I believe in awareness and autonomy of self, no-one 'controls' me unless I grant them that power by my ignorance or by a victim mentality.

The way you see the world dictates your reality, if you believe in scary monsters behind the curtain pulling the strings to malevolent ends, then thats what you will find...

I believe buying an original TR-808 will make me immensely happy
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vekter303 View Post
if you believe in scary monsters behind the curtain pulling the strings to malevolent ends

I believe buying an original TR-808 will make me immensely happy
None of it is happening behind any curtain.

Me? I just try to be the best i can with love and laughter and light. And daily pray for a meteor big enough to end this nonsense once and for all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search