The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your Music....And Smart Devices and Surveillance and the Use of AI
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
None of it is happening behind any curtain.

Me? I just try to be the best i can with love and laughter and light. And daily pray for a meteor big enough to end this nonsense once and for all.
Haha, yeah okay...youre right man...
Old 14th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dieppe View Post
Now its no secret that various methods employed through our Smart devices can be used to spy on us most of which many people probably don't even think or care about but as someone who has never really been happy or comfortable with this type of technology being slowly pushed upon us and aware of things that probably the vast majority of the population don't believe is out there or being sneakily pushed onto the newer generation so it becomes "normal"

...something got me thinking the other day about how I have most of my own compositions/Recordings (well over 700) on my Smart devices to listen to at my own pleasure,none of which have ever been commercially released,if your phone or smart device can be used to listen in to conversations or find out details of you by governments could it also be used to be able to hear the Music you have stored on there,if so whats to stop whatever secret societies that spy on us to lift your own music and pass it off to other people to profit from this,i.e. selling off compositions to pass off as there own work.

Ok perhaps might seem a little far fetched but these things I think about quite a lot,certainly seeing as you may have a certain genre of artist on your phone and when connecting to the internet you normally get loads of other artists of a similar genre being recommended to you from your apps and perhaps your own music is massively similar whats to stop your music being utilised in some secret way without you knowing.

I know its an inspirational thing that your music choices inevitably will come out in your own compositions but it's really odd that in the past I have composed certain chord progressions/Melodies and then some of the artist that influence me have composed something vaguely similar afterwards,or pretty close to my own stuff,normally I would find this works the other way that my own stuff would come out similarly,Ok I get that those inspirations will have some influence on my Music but with all this spying/Sureveillance in this day and age I find it very odd,sometimes I think the similarities are little bit too close for comfort,who knows what AI methods/algorthyms are being utilised to find out everything we say/do

whats your thoughts?
My thoughts?

From long experience as an engineer and musician and from 34 years of discussing indie/micro-indie music online I would have to say that most of the folks who seem to worry at length about the possibility of their music being stolen should probably be MORE worried that they're actually likely to have a very difficult time giving it away. (And if you don't believe me, take one of your 700 songs and try to do just that -- give it away and try to get it into as many hands as possible. Just try.)

And if you're worried about the ideas behind your music being stolen -- consider this: most people who have to STEAL ideas are not going to have the imagination to go looking for some unknown, unheard artist to steal from.

They're going to steal from the people who have already made it.

The proof?

It's all over the radio/charts.

With regard to our devices having great potential to spy on us? You bet. Mostly it's demographic stuff, anonymized, aggregated, used for market intel -- and, of course, 'directed advertising' via tracking.

One CAN take a number of proactive steps. I use the Badger browser plugin that allows the user to control what servers, if any, are allowed to serve 'third party server content' -- which is a primary vector for tracking (and sometimes even malware transmission). That's why many browsers allow you to turn off 'third party cookies.' Unfortunately, a number of ad-supported periodicals insist that such third party tracking is CRUCIAL to their business models and can/will block you from access even to first party content on their servers -- unless you allow party from unknown third parties. (NBC News' sites just moved to such a system and it kind of sucks, but they have a the right to shoot themselves in the foot if they want, right?)

But if a device, whether TV or phone or clock radio, has a camera and or a mic, it has the potential to spy on YOU -- not just your media consumption!

Until the major mobile OS developers build stronger safeguards into our devices, we will have the nagging worry that those OS's can give local spying access to anyone who can coax you into installing their app. You DO typically have some granular control -- but, let's face it, if an app has a 'legit' need to use the mic or cam or access your photos -- how can you be certain that right is not going to be abused?

There's a lot of 'spying' going on -- but most of it is put to the task of some form of marketing or demographic harvesting. But we know from legal battles over cell phone access that the world's governments are WELL aware of the consummate spying potential of controlling someone's comm devices.

Last edited by theblue1; 14th July 2019 at 07:48 PM..
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Maniac

If anyone looks through my webcam and sees me nekkid, they probably won't want to make that mistake again. Same goes for my bedroom curtains.
Old 15th July 2019
it's because steve jobs isn't around anymore, he persistently denied the FBI and US government access to apple technology, that changed not that long after he died, he was a strong leader and he clearly knew that it would compromise the iphone and other devices, living in the UK we have a current leader MP who introduced the snoopers charter which goes against all data protection laws and should be deemed illegal, apparently GHCQ can access almost any smart phone, which would obviously never happen, what could possibly go wrong?
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Nut

So for those of you who thought I was paranoid or smoking something and judged me because of my view on smart devices and our stored music and it being accessed by illicit means Am I really out of touch with reality then????? some people like to poke fun at those of us who have a different perspective!!!

There are Those of us who perhaps don't share the view of the common population of the sheep just because the story seems far fetched some of us do think outside of the box...if you think that's paranoia or substance abuse then obviously you need to ask yourself what is possible instead of criticising others for having an open mind!

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...560226811.html
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Baaa!

Not really any different to hacking celebries for nudes while ignoring those of the common man. But if you're that worried, then either quit using a connected device or find a way to lock it down.
Old 14th September 2019
Quote:
Now its no secret that various methods employed through our Smart devices can be used to spy on us most of which many people probably don't even think or care about but as someone who has never really been happy or comfortable with this type of technology being slowly pushed upon us and aware of things that probably the vast majority of the population don't believe is out there or being sneakily pushed onto the newer generation so it becomes "normal"

...something got me thinking the other day about how I have most of my own compositions/Recordings (well over 700) on my Smart devices to listen to at my own pleasure,none of which have ever been commercially released,if your phone or smart device can be used to listen in to conversations or find out details of you by governments could it also be used to be able to hear the Music you have stored on there,if so whats to stop whatever secret societies that spy on us to lift your own music and pass it off to other people to profit from this,i.e. selling off compositions to pass off as there own work.

Ok perhaps might seem a little far fetched but these things I think about quite a lot,certainly seeing as you may have a certain genre of artist on your phone and when connecting to the internet you normally get loads of other artists of a similar genre being recommended to you from your apps and perhaps your own music is massively similar whats to stop your music being utilised in some secret way without you knowing.

I know its an inspirational thing that your music choices inevitably will come out in your own compositions but it's really odd that in the past I have composed certain chord progressions/Melodies and then some of the artist that influence me have composed something vaguely similar afterwards,or pretty close to my own stuff,normally I would find this works the other way that my own stuff would come out similarly,Ok I get that those inspirations will have some influence on my Music but with all this spying/Sureveillance in this day and age I find it very odd,sometimes I think the similarities are little bit too close for comfort,who knows what AI methods/algorthyms are being utilised to find out everything we say/do

whats your thoughts?
I've been involved in the online music scene since I posted my first audio clip in 1995 (in 8 bit, 22.05 kHz sample rate wav -- a nasty mess ) on my first web page (hosted at AOL no less!) and have observed much and thought long and much about piracy.

Like others, I've found stuff I posted on musician upload sites 'rehosted' in the third world under my artist name, though that finally seems to be dying out (or maybe I stopped bothering to look ) -- but I've never (that I know of) had someone try to claim credit for something.

And the reason for that last is likely that these bottom-feeder sites simply want to get as much traffic as they can, so, even if an artist isn't famous, they probably figure more people will want to search for and click on a real artist name that has SOME chance of having actual followers than some brand new artist name they've never heard of (that's been slapped on some stolen content).

I also used to moderate a songwriting forum elsewhere for a number of years and I've been in a lot of discussions of song piracy over the years. As far as people stealing the 'raw' song from others, while my less than always entirely charitable view of human nature would suggest that that WOULD happen, since so many people seem to suffer from profound lack of imagination, I've heard precious few stories of it actually happening.

And MOST of them were more in the realm of disputes between (former) bandmates and collaborators -- not strangers out of nowhere.

(THAT all said, for sure, someone might WELL have stolen one of your -- or my -- songs, slapped a new name on it, used a different artist name and put it out, ALL without getting your attention. But, then, let's face it, it probably didn't get much of anyone else's attention, either, since the people driven to that level of perfidy are probably no better at business and promotion than they are at more creative pursuits.)
Old 14th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouby View Post
I don't have a smartphone. You're not obligated to have one you know?
And if you decide to, you can really dial the privacy invasion WAY back by careful attention to your device and host settings. (I'm a bit of a security/privacy aficionado, having worked in web dev for years.)

I have an Android smart phone and, while I have occasional aggravations with that OS, I have things fairly well tightened down (and could go further if I wanted to give up a few conveniences I've weighed out and decided were 'worth it') with regard to my Google accounts. I DO review my Google account settings and other privacy features with moderate regularity.

While I don't use ad-blocking (I don't have a problem with basic, non-invasive, non-tracking advertising), I DO use anti-third party tracking/cookie monitoring in the form of Privacy Badger [from Electronic Freedom Foundation] on the desktop, which allows both broad and 'pinpoint' privacy restriction so I can adjust it to give me maximum protection on a given site without breaking critical features. [Trade offs, as always, may be involved. Some sites REALLY, REALLY don't want you to defeat third party tracking from outside their own site! =/ Sometimes it's their way or the highway. I often take the highway. ]
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
So for those of you who thought I was paranoid or smoking something and judged me because of my view on smart devices and our stored music and it being accessed by illicit means Am I really out of touch with reality then????? some people like to poke fun at those of us who have a different perspective!!!

There are Those of us who perhaps don't share the view of the common population of the sheep just because the story seems far fetched some of us do think outside of the box...if you think that's paranoia or substance abuse then obviously you need to ask yourself what is possible instead of criticising others for having an open mind!

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...560226811.html
There’s a big difference between “hacking” (or more accurately, spoofing to obtain passwords) the phone of a known mega-successful musician to hold them to ransom or cash in on their success, and hacking the music of an unknown just in case they might have some hits undiscovered!

People who think they’re constantly being spied on haven’t considered the vast amounts of data that would be necessary to achieve this. It’s possible. But it’s not the day to day.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Air gaps.

And, while I'm here, I suspect there's a PI bubble. Remember the housing bubble? And the dot-com bubble?

I don't think there's quite as much money in gobbling up personal info as some gobblers seem to think.

Most of my ads point me at stuff I just purchased, or at stuff I researched, and laughed at.

AI. Suuuure.

Somebody in India has opened an account in my name? And you want money from me?

Back of the line, pal. Bring a lunch.

:-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
Air gaps.

And, while I'm here, I suspect there's a PI bubble. Remember the housing bubble? And the dot-com bubble?

I don't think there's quite as much money in gobbling up personal info as some gobblers seem to think.

Most of my ads point me at stuff I just purchased, or at stuff I researched, and laughed at.

AI. Suuuure.

I think rather than a PI bubble it is more of a digital ads bubble and it is very much bursting before our eyes. I'm guessing GS is a pretty different model since the user base ranges from Gear Head to Gear Guru and all the ads are for the gear we're here talking about but seeing Facebook ads for the thing you just bought on Amazon certainly isn't helping anyone but the ad platforms. That and the fact that ads will slow sites down to a crawl or obscure the text you're there to read makes them pretty customer hostile.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/20/digi...consumers.html
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m not addressing the OP specifically, but I think people forget that there are 7.5 billion people in the world with 15,000 people joining us every hour of the day, or don’t comprehend the size of those numbers. You can hardly even give anything away these days, the world is glutted. Copyright your tunes, open a publishing company, secure your rights as best you can. Watch out for YouTube, get off the phone, use strong passwords. There are thieves everywhere, there always have been. (No one ever stole more music than A. P. Carter.) It’s a tough pill for some folks to swallow, but honestly, no one cares about you or your music. Besides your significant other, close family, or current fans, no one else cares. Maybe paranoia allows someone, in this crowded cold world, to imagine they matter.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
Air gaps.

AI. Suuuure.

Thanks for posting this. I agree. AI is not so intelligent. If I buy a guitar from Sweetwater I will be spammed online with ads for guitars. Not ads for strings, capos, amps, picks, straps, pedals, all the things I might buy next. Just ads for the thing I’ve already bought.

What I hate now, besides the useless Google search results I currently get, is that my searches affect my Google news feed. So if I search on Amazon for organic dog food, my Google news page will include stories of dogs sickened by Purina chow.

It’s stupid and tiring. The more they spam with pop-ups and irritating search results, the less time I spend online. But the money is in selling the data, not in the ad results.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
Thanks for posting this. I agree. AI is not so intelligent. If I buy a guitar from Sweetwater I will be spammed online with ads for guitars. Not ads for strings, capos, amps, picks, straps, pedals, all the things I might buy next. Just ads for the thing I’ve already bought.

What I hate now, besides the useless Google search results I currently get, is that my searches affect my Google news feed. So if I search on Amazon for organic dog food, my Google news page will include stories of dogs sickened by Purina chow.

It’s stupid and tiring. The more they spam with pop-ups and irritating search results, the less time I spend online. But the money is in selling the data, not in the ad results.
Looks left... looks right... opens trench coat...

Got some PI, buddy, cheap cheap. Good stuff. Mothers maiden name, Ss numbers. You buy.

You buy now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search