The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Moog Are 'Over Rated'
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think they do have a badge-tax which I guess could class as over-rated, so the OP is on point really. Fanboys may attack but it's true.

I've owned a few modern Moogs, maybe "modern Moog is over-rated" would be more accurate?

Sub37, Lil' phatty, Voyager... all gone. much prefer my SH-2 and OB-6 (so not just 'old' vs new but whatever is the most musically interesting and musically toned regardless).

I suspect the reissued Model D does sound really funkin great, as it should! But for the price I'd still say it's over-rated.

And the Moog One is just flat out over priced, over-specced and def over-rated and to me sounds horrible.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post
I think they do have a badge-tax which I guess could class as over-rated, so the OP is on point really. Fanboys may attack but it's true.

I've owned a few modern Moogs, maybe "modern Moog is over-rated" would be more accurate?

Sub37, Lil' phatty, Voyager... all gone. much prefer my SH-2 and OB-6 (so not just 'old' vs new but whatever is the most musically interesting and musically toned regardless).

I suspect the reissued Model D does sound really funkin great, as it should! But for the price I'd still say it's over-rated.

And the Moog One is just flat out over priced, over-specced and def over-rated and to me sounds horrible.
Finally a voice of reason. Maybe I was a bit harsh with the 'Junk' part but Moog are just so offensive these days. They are lost it seems.

I've never heard a demo of the Moog One that justify's it's price. <snip - can we lose the hate speech now please? Thanks>

Here's a clue, you want that New Moog sound - Buy a Roland analogue and stick cloth in your ears. Voila. Instant 70's muffled fudge. Save yourself thousands.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 1 week ago at 01:19 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
“Moog like girls better than boys! Not fair! Waaaaah!”

Do you even make music, incel bro?

(Wanky sounds into your hand don’t count)
You seem to be riding my a$$. Why are you so offended by my critique of Moog? Are you insecure?

Yes I do make music and you probably heard my stuff on the radio. You really think famous people don't come on here?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by And Then Some View Post
Finally a voice of reason. Maybe I was a bit harsh with the 'Junk' part but Moog are just so offensive these days. They are lost it seems.

I've never heard a demo of the Moog One that justify's it's price. You are paying for a bunch of hippies that live on the west coast of nowhere to insult you and identify as whatever 'Pokemon' or 'sex' they wanna be this week.

Here's a clue, you want that New Moog sound - Buy a Roland analogue and stick cloth in your ears. Voila. Instant 70's muffled fudge. Save yourself thousands.
Not sure about a lot of that but I'll give you something.

I have had a fair few modern moog synths. Mother 32's, Werkstatt, DFAM, Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Grandmother etc.

I have an SH-2 like Tonekontrol and still remember the first week I got it. It absolutely destroyed the Moog synths I had at the time and any Moog I had after that.

The diamond and bargain in the dirt for Moog is the Minitaur. That one can hang with old synths in my opinion.

The new Model D and the big modulars sound incredible, probably not a bad investment in the long term.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Not sure about a lot of that but I'll give you something.

I have had a fair few modern moog synths. Mother 32's, Werkstatt, DFAM, Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Grandmother etc.

I have an SH-2 like Tonekontrol and still remember the first week I got it. It absolutely destroyed the Moog synths I had at the time and any Moog I had after that.

The diamond and bargain in the dirt for Moog is the Minitaur. That one can hang with old synths in my opinion.

The new Model D and the big modulars sound incredible, probably not a bad investment in the long term.
Ok. I'll look into the Moog Minitaur. Always respected your opinion on here Moonwhistle, you tell it like it is. No sugar coating.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Spending a fair amount of $$ on artisanal beard products tends to put most of the moog lineup out of my price range, but i remember the minitaur was pretty rad.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok. I'll look into the Moog Minitaur. Always respected your opinion on here Moonwhistle, you tell it like it is. No sugar coating.
Thanks, I appreciate that!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

finally the thread is where it belongs:
Welcome to the Moan Zone
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soulcatcher View Post
finally the thread is where it belongs:
Welcome to the Moan Zone
So pleased you are happy.

Can you tell me why Moog is worth the money now?

What Moog do you own? And what is great about them?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So pleased you are happy.

Can you tell me why Moog is worth the money now?

What Moog do you own? And what is great about them?
I have a Moog Grandmother...

I love the big UI... with big quality tactile knobs, plenty of room around them. It is such an inviting workspace. Nobody makes a UI that I like as much as Moog.

The keybed has a good feel and the GM also sounds lovely. It has a vibrant lively sound and with the patch points offers some wide sonic diversity.

I also have the Matriarch on pre-order and I consider it well worth the price for what you get.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlled_volts View Post
so i think it's time we all hold hands and sing cumbia now
Why can't they make music (and commercials) like that anymore! Yes, I was alive when it originally aired.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I got rid of my synths, I get more chicks with guitars.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
I got rid of my synths, I get more chicks with guitars.
See the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Moog Are 'Over Rated'-synth-women.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
And since Martin Gore has sucked up to them Depeche have sucked. Sucked for 20 years it seems.
Oh come on, that would be like saying Santana has sucked since he started pushing PRS's.

Oh, wait
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Depeche Mode has sucked ever since Alan Wilder left. He was musically the most gifted. Influenced by Debussy and the likes.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
Depeche Mode has sucked ever since Alan Wilder left. He was musically the most gifted. Influenced by Debussy and the likes.
There’s zero question that this was the big inflection point for the band. To try to claim that Moog has something to do with it is just asinine. While more recent Depeche Mode doesn’t have anything like the same level of polish, I wouldn’t say they’re uninteresting. I quite like some of the post-Wilder songs and believe Martin is as gifted a writer as ever, but the material could certainly have benefited from the obsessive attention to detail that a Wilder brings. His own solo content has the opposite problem: incredible production of songs that don’t have a strong foundation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search