The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Metric Halo Lio and ULN-8 3d worst buy ever
Old 5th July 2019
Here for the gear

Metric Halo Lio and ULN-8 3d worst buy ever

Hey guys,

i want to share some experience with the Metric Halo ULN-8 3d and Lio-3d i bought in January 2019.

I upgraded from a Fireface 802 to Lio and ULN. Metric Halo seemed to be a good manufacturer, heard only the best from blogs and gearslutz.

I bought the ULN-8 and Lio for around 6000 bucks (Euros) and start to work with it. I fast recognized, that the drivers are in Beta stadium, had lots of crackles and artifacts.
The support seemed to be very helpful, got an update and the problem was fixed.

The other issue i got, was a high pitched frequency floor noise. I never thought , that this issue came from my interfaces. I thought that i might got a groundloop problem and tried to switch my power strips and connected the ground from my D-Sub Cables into the power strip.

It wasnt only a noise problem coming out from my speakers, the real issue was, that the noise was recorded from instruments with pickups, like guitar or bass and makes my recordings unuseable.
I checked everything in my studio ending up with the result, that it was a power supply issue of the interfaces.
Contacted the support in Germany, no answer...

I bought two industrial power supplys on my own and the problem was solved.

I still got some annoying issues, for example MH Link is not working properly, got always connection issues, the USB-C Driver is also not working and so on.

I m really disappointed from metric halo, hope they ll fix their bugs soon.
I wouldnt recommend anyone to buy this crap interfaces, there are better alternatives out there.
I got the RME Firefaces for about 5 years without any issue.

Sorry for my english guys! Hope you get my point!

Greetz
Asbasnowe
Old 5th July 2019
tkr
Gear Addict
1) Well, if you didn`t realize that 3 d software was a beta, early access version, you must have been fast asleep when buying it. Or maybe chemically impaired somehow. It says so on the site where you download it, and there is a long list there of issues which still have to be resolved. On top of that, MH support seems to have solved your problem for you, so what is your problem?

2) On the power supply, I tend to agree with you partly. MH`s wall-wart is noisy. There is a German Manufacturer, Zähl, who makes a linear PSU especially for the ULN 8. The Zähl is much quieter, with no trace of hum.

3) MH writes on its 3 d page that not all Ethernet switches are an equally good match with the MH link. They give it to you in writing! I bought a 30-Euro ethernet switch in some computer store, and my MH Link is working perfectly.
Old 6th July 2019
So for $6000 you got an interface that crackles, can't keep a steady connection, and had a faulty power supply that needed to be replaced out of the gate. That's crazy - I almost bought a Metric Halo a few years back but they were already late in getting the updates out and I had concerns that they weren't on top of things from a driver standpoint. I was right because it took like 3 years more for the 3d update to come out.
Old 6th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Yeah I’m also disappointed at how slow things are moving. Over a year in “beta”.
Old 6th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkr View Post
1) Well, if you didn`t realize that 3 d software was a beta, early access version, you must have been fast asleep when buying it. Or maybe chemically impaired somehow. It says so on the site where you download it, and there is a long list there of issues which still have to be resolved. On top of that, MH support seems to have solved your problem for you, so what is your problem?

2) On the power supply, I tend to agree with you partly. MH`s wall-wart is noisy. There is a German Manufacturer, Zähl, who makes a linear PSU especially for the ULN 8. The Zähl is much quieter, with no trace of hum.

3) MH writes on its 3 d page that not all Ethernet switches are an equally good match with the MH link. They give it to you in writing! I bought a 30-Euro ethernet switch in some computer store, and my MH Link is working perfectly.
You dindt get my point ma friend. :-)

1) I just wanted to share the whole experience I got with the interfaces. I know about the Beta software and that there are still issues. But crackles are a no go and even in that price range.

2) I spent 6000€ for interfaces and you want to tell me, to invest 2000€ more in PSUs from Zähl? I m very well informed, Zähl stopped the production btw. Paul Hynes builds as well transformer PSUs for Metric Halo Interfaces but they re expensive as well.

3) Thx for the advice.
Old 24th July 2019
Here for the gear

I had some crackling issues too. They were solved by switching between external and internal clock settings.
A beta issue but my work around has been to switch between the two clock sources and make sure all the interfaces are
indeed switching to the chosen sample rate. In my case 96k. The internal setting would often default to 48k and I’d switch them to 96 then go back to
the external clock at 96k and my annoying cracks/clock issues would go away. For what 3d offers and the available bandwidth on an ethernet cable I don’t think there’s a better or more musical Interface on the planet. The MH crew are good people and they are on the cutting edge. I can live with a few beta work arounds.
Old 28th July 2019
Here for the gear

Update:
- I ll get the connection issue only after startup. Can be fixed by turning the interfaces off and on again.

The only really annoying thing are some mio consoles bugs.
For example: Sometimes I cant control my channel strips.
I'm not able to mute a channel strip or to control any volume.

After restarting mio console its sometimes gone.

These are my main issues right now, the rest is working so far.
Old 6th August 2019
Here for the gear

Another annoying thing i recognized is a huge crackling noise when Mio console is starting up.

The support isnt really a help at all. I m waiting for over 8 weeks now for new PSUs. The support answered me, that they re kinda lost and nobody knows where the PSUs are. Instead of sending me new PSUs they let me wait.

I really regret the change from RME... Worst buy ever...
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Addict

I’ve heard similar horror stories. The interface should be cleaning up the switcher power internally or they should be using a much more expensive regulated switcher for their prices. Stick with RME, MOTU, and Apogee. MOTU’s AVB stuff actually works to connect interfaces together too.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear

Update: Installed the PB7 update.
Looked good the first moments, than I started some music and got instant crackles.
Tried firmware update --> Still same
Changed Samplerate --> Still same

Still sitting here without the new PSUs, the support does 0 and is looking for the lost PSUs instead of sending me new ones.
I think I gonna sell this **** and get some new RMEs.

I want my money back MH!!!!
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbasnowe View Post
Looked good the first moments, than I started some music and got instant crackles.

Still sitting here without the new PSUs, the support does 0 and is looking for the lost PSUs instead of sending me new ones.

Just ditch it and get something else. The RME stuff is rock solid and you can daisy chain the MOTU, Apogee, UAD, and Presonus Quantum interfaces together with stuff from the same brand.
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbasnowe View Post

Hi -
as far I remember you were running on a 10G Port of your Mac, right?
Did you already installed a 1G Ethernet Card?
::::
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonwerker View Post
Hi -
as far I remember you were running on a 10G Port of your Mac, right?
Did you already installed a 1G Ethernet Card?
::::
The interfaces are connected via 1 GB Ethernet, my NAS is connected to my 10 GB Ethernet.

Thinking about getting an switch or adapter for SFP+ to connect the MHs via 10 GB Ethernet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search