The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
wow! only 2 grand for a power strip!!
Old 4th July 2019
  #1
wow! only 2 grand for a power strip!!

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ac...and-rtp-4.html



ok ..please..someone tell me "oh yea! I have one, it makes everything sound better!!"
Old 4th July 2019
  #2
Someone will claim it's worth it, even if it nulls 100% (easy test).
Old 4th July 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Farmboy presents's Avatar
If you bought that, then you will love this

https://www.avsforum.com/double-blin...JOhajhvY3dz86Q

Old 4th July 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Farmboy presents's Avatar
Sorry, i just discovered that page has gone into the void. Please move on.
Old 4th July 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
lol for that price, it better convert 20 amps from AC to DC and back to AC for voltage regulation, work as a UPS, display the voltage in, voltage out, current usage total & % and have 12 outles with 4 of them isolated 1 by 1.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...er-conditioner

Would be the competition.
Old 4th July 2019
  #6
Then you also need one of these:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topaz-7500V...MAAOSwRplZsNBE and https://www.moon-audio.com/cardas-cl...iABEgJ9qfD_BwE if you want the "ultimate" power supply. Just remember that all of this will be hooked up to your inside wiring that was put in when your house/studio was built and hooked up to a transmission system that is probably more than 50 years old in most places. Yea it is going to make a BIG difference.
Old 4th July 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 

Only $600 more for the RPT-2 power cord. That's a steal(pun intended).
Old 4th July 2019
  #8
Firesign Theatre [quoted by the Internet]:

Quote:
Scene...a game show ...with audience.....


(anouncer)........So heres your last deal Ms. Presky...now... which would would you rather do..........hit this dude over the head with a bag of sugar ...or beat out that rythm on the drums...


(Woman).......Er....ahhhhh....I'll take the bag


(anouncer)........You mean your gonna trade this four foot cube of 18 carrot Swiss Buollion ...........and the snake knives Mrs. Presky ........all for that little bag ....

(woman)........yea...

(anouncer........well alllllright!!...open it up!!.....

(woman).........why...why this is a bag of [feces]....

(anouncer)...........but its really great [feces]...Mrs Presky......
Old 6th July 2019
  #9
I paid $250 for a guitar pedal power supply after reading countless accounts abput how crucial it is . Sounds identical to simply using a 10$ power bar. Total waste of money buying into the clean power hype.
Old 7th July 2019
  #10
Gear Addict
 
BadYodeler's Avatar
 

If you have a pair of these, surely you don’t want to tell your friends that you have your amp hooked up to a Walmart extension cord:

http://sightandsoundgallery.com/prod...SABEgLd1vD_BwE
Old 7th July 2019
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
If you have a pair of these, surely you don’t want to tell your friends that you have your amp hooked up to a Walmart extension cord:

http://sightandsoundgallery.com/prod...SABEgLd1vD_BwE

Woah - those better sound great
Old 7th July 2019
  #12
I have a friend who has a pair of these https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinue...nce-temptation. With the battery powered amplifiers and the speakers (which come in multiple road cases) the original cost was well over $250,000.00. They sound good but his room is not acoustically designed so if they were in a good room they would probably sound amazing. FWIW
Old 9th July 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
mikefellh's Avatar
I admit I have bought Panamax line conditioners to protect my equipment, and I believe it's money well spent.

OK, mine were under $350 each, but as someone who has gone through a high voltage surge before (40kv, lightning snapped the high-voltage power line which fell onto the 120v line bringing high voltage into the house) while I wasn't home (I came home to a TV set that was exploding) and had to replace a lot of devices or had them fixed, to me this was money well spent!

Here's a video showing the Panamax against a standard power bar:
Old 10th July 2019
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
I admit I have bought Panamax line conditioners to protect my equipment, and I believe it's money well spent.

OK, mine were under $350 each, but as someone who has gone through a high voltage surge before (40kv, lightning snapped the high-voltage power line which fell onto the 120v line bringing high voltage into the house) while I wasn't home (I came home to a TV set that was exploding) and had to replace a lot of devices or had them fixed, to me this was money well spent!

Here's a video showing the Panamax against a standard power bar:
this actually happened to me aswell..but from high winds, i replaced many transformers
Old 10th July 2019
  #15
Gear Addict
 

Say what you will about high end power cables, I was as skeptical as anyone until I decided to try them out on a whim. Most of these places have a money back guarantee so if there's no difference, just send it back for a full refund.

I grabbed a bunch of "high end" IEC cables a while back, and replaced the power cables for my converters and outboard master bus gear. Did a print before and after of a mix I had just finished, no settings changed at all, and the sound was reasonably different. Could blind test and pick it out every time, and could even just blindly play one of the prints and usually pick out which one it was, without switching back and forth.

Whether or not the difference is worth the exorbitant prices these companies charge (probably just as effective to buy some low gauge wire and decent plugs with good connectors and make them yourself). But yeah it wiped that smug look right off my face when I realized it makes a difference.

I don't care why it made a difference or why it theoretically shouldn't make a difference and I don't care if other people believe me or don't, but just going off my ears there was 100% a noticeable difference. Bottom end seemed to go a little deeper and breathed easier, imaging was a little more accurate, everything just jumped out a little more and in a pleasant way.

As for this power strip who knows what it does, but my point is rather than sitting up late at night by yourself on a forum bashing it, order one with some fancy power cables and see if it does anything. Won't make you dumb, and if you send it back it won't make you poor, nothing to lose.
Old 10th July 2019
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
Say what you will about high end power cables, I was as skeptical as anyone until I decided to try them out on a whim. Most of these places have a money back guarantee so if there's no difference, just send it back for a full refund.

I grabbed a bunch of "high end" IEC cables a while back, and replaced the power cables for my converters and outboard master bus gear. Did a print before and after of a mix I had just finished, no settings changed at all, and the sound was reasonably different. Could blind test and pick it out every time, and could even just blindly play one of the prints and usually pick out which one it was, without switching back and forth.

Whether or not the difference is worth the exorbitant prices these companies charge (probably just as effective to buy some low gauge wire and decent plugs with good connectors and make them yourself). But yeah it wiped that smug look right off my face when I realized it makes a difference.

I don't care why it made a difference or why it theoretically shouldn't make a difference and I don't care if other people believe me or don't, but just going off my ears there was 100% a noticeable difference. Bottom end seemed to go a little deeper and breathed easier, imaging was a little more accurate, everything just jumped out a little more and in a pleasant way.

As for this power strip who knows what it does, but my point is rather than sitting up late at night by yourself on a forum bashing it, order one with some fancy power cables and see if it does anything. Won't make you dumb, and if you send it back it won't make you poor, nothing to lose.
Two thoughts: One you paid a lot for the cables so they should sound better (your brain and wallet telling you this) or your original IEC cables were not good and this "upgrade" just made everything sound better due to a better grade of wire. a larger gauge of wire or better connections within the expensive IEC cables.

A while back I invited a couple of friends over for a "lets check out the power cables" party and we tried a number of normal IEC cables and some expensive Cardas cables a friend of mine lent me. Our conclusion was we could not tell the difference. One problem is that it is hard to A/B test power cables and as we all know, as audio engineers, the ear has a very short auditory memory.
FWIW
Old 11th July 2019
  #17
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Two thoughts: One you paid a lot for the cables so they should sound better (your brain and wallet telling you this) or your original IEC cables were not good and this "upgrade" just made everything sound better due to a better grade of wire. a larger gauge of wire or better connections within the expensive IEC cables.

A while back I invited a couple of friends over for a "lets check out the power cables" party and we tried a number of normal IEC cables and some expensive Cardas cables a friend of mine lent me. Our conclusion was we could not tell the difference. One problem is that it is hard to A/B test power cables and as we all know, as audio engineers, the ear has a very short auditory memory.
FWIW
It's not hard to compare though, you print a mix where the signal runs through gear that's powered with generic cables that came in the box with the gear, and then you switch the cables to the fancy ones and reprint the mix. You don't need to remember anything, you just switch back and forth between the prints and compare, blindly if you wish.

And nope, I wanted to believe there would be no difference at all. My brain told me there would be no difference, but there was. My wallet hoped there was no difference, but there was. I can even send you a snippet of the two prints and you'll hear it for yourself.

Obviously when testing them on monitors it can be tricky, and I'd go as far as to argue the difference is pointless there (doesn't make the mix itself any better, and if you're accustomed to your monitors then why bother changing). But if it can gain you an advantage with your outboard gear (regardless of how little that advantage is and what the price to performance ratio is) then it's hard to refute that they're useful.

And for what it's worth I sent the cables back and got a refund. Will either buy some semi-decent ones on Amazon for 1/10th of the price or just construct my own custom ones for even less. With the markups these companies charge the price to performance ratio is hard to accept, but it doesn't detract from the reality that high-quality IEC cables somehow perform better than generic Chinese every-day IEC cables.

Put it this way, if one had the choice between free generic IEC cables and free high-quality cables that claimed better performance (and longevity, appearance etc wasn't a factor), I absolutely don't believe that anyone would choose the generic ones.

Try it again, but switch out all of your outboard in the signal path for fancy ones and print something you're working on (assuming you're not 100% in the box). If it doesn't make a difference, send them back for a full refund and no harm, no foul.
Old 11th July 2019
  #18
Gear Addict
 

Sorry Thomas just to add - your 2nd thought is largely correct. The gauge of wire with good shielding probably is the factor that makes all the difference (hence why I'm going to make my own). But like I said initially, I don't care why it makes a difference, I was just surprised to learn that it does make a difference.
Old 11th July 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Fay Smearing's Avatar
 

These anecdotes are starting to look almost completely copy-pasted.
Old 11th July 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
TVPostSound's Avatar
Funny, I haven't read anyone here boasting about hearing how the soundstage sounds the way the mixer intended it.,
Old 12th July 2019
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
It's not hard to compare though, you print a mix where the signal runs through gear that's powered with generic cables that came in the box with the gear, and then you switch the cables to the fancy ones and reprint the mix. You don't need to remember anything, you just switch back and forth between the prints and compare, blindly if you wish.

And nope, I wanted to believe there would be no difference at all. My brain told me there would be no difference, but there was. My wallet hoped there was no difference, but there was. I can even send you a snippet of the two prints and you'll hear it for yourself.

Obviously when testing them on monitors it can be tricky, and I'd go as far as to argue the difference is pointless there (doesn't make the mix itself any better, and if you're accustomed to your monitors then why bother changing). But if it can gain you an advantage with your outboard gear (regardless of how little that advantage is and what the price to performance ratio is) then it's hard to refute that they're useful.

And for what it's worth I sent the cables back and got a refund. Will either buy some semi-decent ones on Amazon for 1/10th of the price or just construct my own custom ones for even less. With the markups these companies charge the price to performance ratio is hard to accept, but it doesn't detract from the reality that high-quality IEC cables somehow perform better than generic Chinese every-day IEC cables.

Put it this way, if one had the choice between free generic IEC cables and free high-quality cables that claimed better performance (and longevity, appearance etc wasn't a factor), I absolutely don't believe that anyone would choose the generic ones.

Try it again, but switch out all of your outboard in the signal path for fancy ones and print something you're working on (assuming you're not 100% in the box). If it doesn't make a difference, send them back for a full refund and no harm, no foul.
feel like posting for the whole class?
Old 12th July 2019
  #22
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
feel like posting for the whole class?
Not going to put it up publicly but happy to DM it to you.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump