The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
There are some upset/uptight people out there.
Old 3 weeks ago
There are some upset/uptight people out there.

Got a call from a potential client about 8 pm on Tuesday night. He wanted to know about prices for mastering. I told him what our rates were and he starts screaming at me about how high our rates are and how everyone is trying to rob him. He says that he is a "starving musician" and why does everyone want to "rip him off". I tried to cut in on his rant but no way. I finally hung up. A very disturbed young man. FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Strange call, I wonder if that's maybe a product of the new generation: we must have everything, everything must be free (except the work they do, of course they want to be paid for that). Or maybe was just a guy having a bad day and needing to vent. Btw. I had a look at the rates on your website and they look fair.
Old 3 weeks ago
Hang up quicker next time. No conversation with psychos.
Old 2 days ago
Phones are overrated. Use Email instead
Old 2 days ago
Unfortunately that phone call is like a lot of ones I get. Most times it is "how much to get my stuff mastered" when I tell them the price I usually get a reply like "that's crazy I can get it done for $5.00 a song on the WWW, to which I say GO FOR IT. Or they accuse me of ripping them off as the gentlemen quoted above said. Or they try to barter. 'Hey I can get you front row seats to our next gig or how about some great weed' to which I say NOT INTERESTED . It seems like no one has money or at least they want everyone to believe that. Crazy world out there right now. FWIW
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
'Hey I can get you front row seats to our next gig or how about some great weed' to which I say NOT INTERESTED . It seems like no one has money or at least they want everyone to believe that.
??? Strangely enough, they always have money for weed
Old 2 hours ago
Gear Addict
Also the turned-about "logic" of the victim culture which societies all over are getting into. The person not wanting to let you earn your (up-front on the website) fees is the one being robbed!

In the true spirit of gender equality it seems even guys can be princesses now.

If he can get the service for "$5" then why's he even calling?

On a more serious note, people that feel constantly victimised are very easily persuaded to vote for leaders that promise to fix everything for them. Grievance politics. Wide open to demagoguery.

This take rings true from what I've seen around me. Hopefully Gen Z will learn from it, but I'm guessing not. Better environment though for those in these generations that want to work to succeed, much less serious competition than there once was makes things easier for them.

Old 1 hour ago
I agree with what the person being interviewed is saying.

I have the best interns working here now and they are all amazing people. Everything they do they do well. The are all committed to doing the best job possible everyday. They are all in the age range of 18 to 25 so not really millennials.

I wish my potential clients were like them.

It seems to me that today everyone, not only millennials, wants everything done NOW and for little or no cost. It must be because of Amazon's two day delivery and getting "good" quality goods at WalMart for not very much money or they are just impatient and don't see the differences between buying a package of Chinese made underwear at WalMart and getting something done by hand with learned skills like mastering.

The internet is the great equalizer and makes people think that everything is simple and easy to do. Want to build a house? You can see one on YouTube being build in 5 minutes even though it took, in reality 5 months to do with weather delays and supplier shipping problems. Want to have your material mastered, you can watch 10,000 ways to do it yourself OR there are 10,000 people who will do your "mastering" for little or no money. Of course the DIY requires some software and some equipment so it really is not no cost like they want you to believe and the "mastering engineer" who is doing your mastering for nothing is working out of his/her bedroom with egg crates on the walls for acoustics.

It is a strange world out there and is getting stranger by the minute.

FWIW

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search