The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
There are some upset/uptight people out there.
Old 23rd May 2019
There are some upset/uptight people out there.

Got a call from a potential client about 8 pm on Tuesday night. He wanted to know about prices for mastering. I told him what our rates were and he starts screaming at me about how high our rates are and how everyone is trying to rob him. He says that he is a "starving musician" and why does everyone want to "rip him off". I tried to cut in on his rant but no way. I finally hung up. A very disturbed young man. FWIW
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Strange call, I wonder if that's maybe a product of the new generation: we must have everything, everything must be free (except the work they do, of course they want to be paid for that). Or maybe was just a guy having a bad day and needing to vent. Btw. I had a look at the rates on your website and they look fair.
Old 24th May 2019
Hang up quicker next time. No conversation with psychos.
Old 13th June 2019
Phones are overrated. Use Email instead
Old 14th June 2019
Unfortunately that phone call is like a lot of ones I get. Most times it is "how much to get my stuff mastered" when I tell them the price I usually get a reply like "that's crazy I can get it done for $5.00 a song on the WWW, to which I say GO FOR IT. Or they accuse me of ripping them off as the gentlemen quoted above said. Or they try to barter. 'Hey I can get you front row seats to our next gig or how about some great weed' to which I say NOT INTERESTED . It seems like no one has money or at least they want everyone to believe that. Crazy world out there right now. FWIW
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
'Hey I can get you front row seats to our next gig or how about some great weed' to which I say NOT INTERESTED . It seems like no one has money or at least they want everyone to believe that.
??? Strangely enough, they always have money for weed
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict
Also the turned-about "logic" of the victim culture which societies all over are getting into. The person not wanting to let you earn your (up-front on the website) fees is the one being robbed!

In the true spirit of gender equality it seems even guys can be princesses now.

If he can get the service for "$5" then why's he even calling?

On a more serious note, people that feel constantly victimised are very easily persuaded to vote for leaders that promise to fix everything for them. Grievance politics. Wide open to demagoguery.

This take rings true from what I've seen around me. Hopefully Gen Z will learn from it, but I'm guessing not. Better environment though for those in these generations that want to work to succeed, much less serious competition than there once was makes things easier for them.

Old 16th June 2019
I agree with what the person being interviewed is saying.

I have the best interns working here now and they are all amazing people. Everything they do they do well. The are all committed to doing the best job possible everyday. They are all in the age range of 18 to 25 so not really millennials.

I wish my potential clients were like them.

It seems to me that today everyone, not only millennials, wants everything done NOW and for little or no cost. It must be because of Amazon's two day delivery and getting "good" quality goods at WalMart for not very much money or they are just impatient and don't see the differences between buying a package of Chinese made underwear at WalMart and getting something done by hand with learned skills like mastering.

The internet is the great equalizer and makes people think that everything is simple and easy to do. Want to build a house? You can see one on YouTube being build in 5 minutes even though it took, in reality 5 months to do with weather delays and supplier shipping problems. Want to have your material mastered, you can watch 10,000 ways to do it yourself OR there are 10,000 people who will do your "mastering" for little or no money. Of course the DIY requires some software and some equipment so it really is not no cost like they want you to believe and the "mastering engineer" who is doing your mastering for nothing is working out of his/her bedroom with egg crates on the walls for acoustics.

It is a strange world out there and is getting stranger by the minute.

FWIW
Old 17th June 2019
Quote:
I have the best interns working here now and they are all amazing people. Everything they do they do well. The are all committed to doing the best job possible everyday. They are all in the age range of 18 to 25 so not really millennials.
Actually, they’re all millennials - certainly no argument those 19 and under are!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Old 17th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Actually, they’re all millennials - certainly no argument those 19 and under are!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials
I stand corrected. I guess I should have said they certainly don't act like most millennials. Thanks for the correction.
Old 18th June 2019
Quote:
I stand corrected. I guess I should have said they certainly don't act like most millennials. Thanks for the correction.
That’s good! Although I do think “millennials” as a home get a bit of a bad wrap (he says as a nearly 40yo typing on his phone). I travel on public transport every day - and the number of people of all ages who never look up from their phones is unbelievable. And we’re passing the opera house/Sydney harbour bridge etc!

(I’m also probably one of them at least some of the time!)
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got a call from a potential client about 8 pm on Tuesday night. He wanted to know about prices for mastering. I told him what our rates were and he starts screaming at me about how high our rates are and how everyone is trying to rob him. He says that he is a "starving musician" and why does everyone want to "rip him off". I tried to cut in on his rant but no way. I finally hung up. A very disturbed young man. FWIW
I think this story has less to do with when anybody was born than it has to do with the fact that a lotta people are just assholes.
Old 18th June 2019
Quote:
I travel on public transport every day - and the number of people of all ages who never look up from their phones is unbelievable.
If I had to travel on public transportation, I wouldn’t look up from my phone either.
Old 18th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
If I had to travel on public transportation, I wouldn’t look up from my phone either.
Well - I suppose it depends on your public transport. MY commute to work is a skate down the beach front (Manly Beach, one of the nicest in Sydney), a 20min ferry ride into Circular Quay (past a host of sights including the aforementioned Opera House and Harbour Bridge), and then a short train ride (Which one could be forgiven for not looking up from their phone). At the times I travel, it's very quiet too, no invasion of personal space. Believe me, that's a much more pleasant way to spend an hour than sitting in traffic, wherever you live.

The whole way - by the beach, on the ferry, at the Quay - it's people glued to their phones. Which is sad.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Well - I suppose it depends on your public transport. MY commute to work is a skate down the beach front (Manly Beach, one of the nicest in Sydney), a 20min ferry ride into Circular Quay (past a host of sights including the aforementioned Opera House and Harbour Bridge), and then a short train ride (Which one could be forgiven for not looking up from their phone). At the times I travel, it's very quiet too, no invasion of personal space. Believe me, that's a much more pleasant way to spend an hour than sitting in traffic, wherever you live.

The whole way - by the beach, on the ferry, at the Quay - it's people glued to their phones. Which is sad.
I've commuted on public trans... you get habituated to the views, good or bad.

What I find really sad -- and this is coming from someone who has become a willing hermit in his dotage -- are people who have gathered in the same place ostensibly to enjoy each other's company over dinner or drinks or the like -- and, yet, when you look at them, they are mostly all lost in their phones.

I've had a mobile since the mid 1990s, so I guess you can say the novelty was lost on me more than a few smart phones back. But all you young, vital, socially active people... just staring into your phones... [sigh]
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

What I find really sad -- and this is coming from someone who has become a willing hermit in his dotage -- are people who have gathered in the same place ostensibly to enjoy each other's company over dinner or drinks or the like -- and, yet, when you look at them, they are mostly all lost in their phones.

I've had a mobile since the mid 1990s, so I guess you can say the novelty was lost on me more than a few smart phones back. But all you young, vital, socially active people... just staring into your phones... [sigh]
Phones are how people connect these days.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why do we even call them "phones" anymore?
Most folks spend very little time using their "phones" for telephony!

They spend (waste) most of their time with all the other functions.

I think that the trend is toward more and more "connectivity", and less and less communication as we proceed!

I think that for most folks, their "phone" has really become more of an "electronic leash" than anything else.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Why do we even call them "phones" anymore?
Most folks spend very little time using their "phones" for telephony!

They spend (waste) most of their time with all the other functions.

I think that the trend is toward more and more "connectivity", and less and less communication as we proceed!

I think that for most folks, their "phone" has really become more of an "electronic leash" than anything else.
Still, I see no problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

I agree.

Quote:
It is. But when you see people on a date, hanging out in a group, at dinner, and they’re all individually on their phones...how is that connecting?

I know we all do it, but if you see no problem, one would think you might be part of the problem.

I suppose if someone is happy, then there is no problem. But many people aren’t.
Old 4 weeks ago
A couple of months back I was at a "Cracker Barrel" restaurant for lunch. We were seated across from a family group who were celebrating a family member's birthday complete with cake and ice cream. There was, I assume, a father, a mother, a grandfather and grandmother and 4 kids, a total of 8 people seated around the table. Each of them had a cell phone and each of them were constantly on the phone either talking to someone or playing a game. When the waitress brought in the cake they all briefly looked up and then went back to their phones oblivious to the "party" that was suppose to be going on. The waitress cut up the cake, put it on plates and served it to the assembled group. They all ate their pieces of cake without stopping their phone use.

I was in a movie theater back in mid winter. The person in front of me was doing a play by play of the whole movie and was talking pretty loud as she had to talk over the explosions on screen. Finally someone summoned an usher and he told her to put the phone away or he would have to ask her to leave. She started shouting about her unalienable rights to use her phone and was finally removed by a security guard. There were a lot or "yeas" but also a lot of "boos".

My niece, who is a smart wonderful young lady, is so attached to her phone that when her mother moved the phone to the other end of the dining table because she would not stop talking on it she broke out in a cold sweat and started to shake.

Cell phones = YUCK!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ah, but as the ship pulls into Circular Quay, do you look at the place where your legs used to be?

Sorry, I’ll get my coat...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still, I see no problem.
You see no problem with trying to substitute "connectivity" for genuine communication?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
You see no problem with trying to substitute "connectivity" for genuine communication?
Phones are how people communicate. There really isn’t a need for face-to-face interactions for most things today. If you want get to know someone, you do it through a phone now. Even when sitting in the same room.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Phones are how people communicate. There really isn’t a need for face-to-face interactions for most things today. If you want get to know someone, you do it through a phone now. Even when sitting in the same room.
I see that (although we are "connecting") we are not really communicating here:

I am not trying to blame any device for anything.

...Rather, I am talking about what humans are doing!

"Communication" and "connectivity" are two different concepts, and the proliferation of this confusion is not limited to the use of any device.

(It even happens in real-life face-to-face encounters.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Imagine this (it really happened). You are at a Thanksgiving dinner and your niece and her boy friend are sitting next to each other and are texting each other throughout the meal. When her Mom says "lets put away the phones" your niece says "Gee how am I suppose to talk to my boyfriend if I don't have my phone?". I thought her Mom was going to choke she was laughing so hard. Enough said!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Imagine this (it really happened). You are at a Thanksgiving dinner and your niece and her boy friend are sitting next to each other and are texting each other throughout the meal. When her Mom says "lets put away the phones" your niece says "Gee how am I suppose to talk to my boyfriend if I don't have my phone?". I thought her Mom was going to choke she was laughing so hard. Enough said!
Maybe they were talking about something private and didn’t want everyone to know.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Right. Are all you guys gonna text each other later on?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Maybe they were talking about something private and didn’t want everyone to know.
Then do it in person AFTER the meal. That is what I did when I was younger. I don't think 20 minutes is too long to wait for a "private conversation". When I was younger the same applied to whispering in someone's ear during dinner. It was not acceptable.

IMHO we have lost the gentle art of conversation between two or more people.

By the way my niece tells me she sleeps with her IPHONE under her pillow just in case someone calls her in the middle of the night and so "someone" does not "steal" her phone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, probably...

...And its rude as hell to do that at a Thanksgiving dinner.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search