All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Accidentally dosed by LSD while repairing a Buchla
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Nut

Accidentally dosed by LSD while repairing a Buchla

Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

so, i begin suspecting something.
maybe it's the ultimate reason why vintage gear is so expensive?
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Addict

Pretty far out! What i find interesting about the story is that the LSD retained its potency after so many decades.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathodeRay View Post
Pretty far out! What i find interesting about the story is that the LSD retained its potency after so many decades.
The stuff lasts forever if kept in the dark and dry.

Apparently there is still Owsley acid in Australia from some he made in the 80's.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
The stuff lasts forever if kept in the dark and dry.

Apparently there is still Owsley acid in Australia from some he made in the 80's.
He moved to Australia that's why.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathodeRay View Post
it breaks down very very quickly, it's an extremely volatile and fragile chemical once exposed to air, blotters go bad by the day, liquid will keep a while if cooled in the dark, anything else goes bad pretty quickly.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Guru

this story is so bogus I can't believe anyone thinks it's true..
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
this story is so bogus I can't believe anyone thinks it's true..
I havent taken the time to watch the video or read anything about it, but my first thought was that it was just someone trying to spin their own rubbish based on the legend of Buchla.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear
Its definitely true. I caught rabies from my rhythm wolf
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

There is only one acid machine...

Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

So I'm passing through Arcata CA in the late '90s and this guy is like, "Hey man, do you have any acid?" And it calls to mind a long-forgotten memory, so I'm like, "You know, I think there's a 5-strip somewhere in my car, from like a year and a half ago. I don't know if it's still any good, but if I find it, I'll split it with you." So I went back to my car.

It was still good. It was blotter stored in tinfoil, wrapped up in something else and stuffed somewhere. It came into contact with nothing absorbent. It was subjected to no light at all, and very little airflow (package was probably jostled a bit and the vibrations from the car driving), but definitely to the summer heat and a chilly humid Seattle winter, with seemingly little loss in potency.

There are so many urban legends about acid, but it definitely CAN stay good for a long time, if stored properly, or even just mostly avoiding the usual weathering mechanisms.

I'd probably get a contact high just trying to figure out a Buchla system, but I don't think I'd be tripping...
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Now I want a Buchla
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
So I'm passing through Arcata CA in the late '90s and this guy is like, "Hey man, do you have any acid?" And it calls to mind a long-forgotten memory, so I'm like, "You know, I think there's a 5-strip somewhere in my car, from like a year and a half ago. I don't know if it's still any good, but if I find it, I'll split it with you." So I went back to my car.

It was still good. It was blotter stored in tinfoil, wrapped up in something else and stuffed somewhere. It came into contact with nothing absorbent. It was subjected to no light at all, and very little airflow (package was probably jostled a bit and the vibrations from the car driving), but definitely to the summer heat and a chilly humid Seattle winter, with seemingly little loss in potency.

There are so many urban legends about acid, but it definitely CAN stay good for a long time, if stored properly, or even just mostly avoiding the usual weathering mechanisms.

I'd probably get a contact high just trying to figure out a Buchla system, but I don't think I'd be tripping...
Storage is key, it basically has to be kept in a vacuum to maintain potency as it breaks down very quickly when left out to light and oxygen. You would need to come into contact with a lot of liquid or crystal LSD to get high just touching it with your finger like this guy says he did.. Chemists back in the day making it, often got high from inhaling air borne liquid particles.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Storage is key, it basically has to be kept in a vacuum to maintain potency as it breaks down very quickly when left out to light and oxygen. You would need to come into contact with a lot of liquid or crystal LSD to get high just touching it with your finger like this guy says he did.. Chemists back in the day making it, often got high from inhaling air borne liquid particles.
It's possible he rubbed his eye or touched his mouth/nose. As long as it's kept dry and in the dark it won't break down, so while probably false it is plausible.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's possible he rubbed his eye or touched his mouth/nose.
or vaporized some substance with soldering iron and inhaled.
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Addict

I went on a Time Trip with my V-Synth
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
or vaporized some substance with soldering iron and inhaled.
Heat from soldering iron would destroy it.
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Maniac

I read that article and now I'm tripping. It isn't written very well and reads like the work of a summer intern who skipped history completely.
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripp2k View Post
I read that article and now I'm tripping. It isn't written very well and reads like the work of a summer intern who skipped history completely.
Too funny. So apparently this was the Buchla used by Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters, made famous in Tom Wolfes The Electric Cool Aid Acid Test, thats the real story if its true! But the author apparently omits this historic detail, only mentions it was some bus used by Ken Kesey.

BTW LSD dosage is down at micro-gram levels, you don't need much to trip out.

Who knows if this is true or not.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

America.

My experience with hippies and readings about the 60s suggests this story may be actually true. Owsley himself or a friend of his would have had stupid amounts of pure acid in their hands, and it isn't far-fetched to think that they, in their acid induced delusions would have thought that putting a lump of pure LSD crystals inside the synth would make it pick up cosmic sounds or some such drivel. Later, someome got busted or just lost the plot completely, and that bit of acid in the Buchla was forgotten about.

I mean, these are people who (in the later stages) believed they could achieve immortality and live in outer space ...

The problem with this theory is that pure acid is a powder and apparently doesn't form crystals that can be seen with the naked eye.... so it may well be a hoax concocted by the descendants of said deluded hippies. The guy's wife looks like a likely suspect- definitely a hippie.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
The guy's wife looks like a likely suspect- definitely a hippie.
I was laughing a bit at her part because she seemed like she was either high or had done a lot of drugs in her life.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

It'd have to be a Buchla; Moog Modular is more of a mushroom vibe.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's possible he rubbed his eye or touched his mouth/nose. As long as it's kept dry and in the dark it won't break down, so while probably false it is plausible.
The TV spot mentions that he used an electronics cleaner to remove the crystal residue, likely petroleum based. It's quite possible the solvent allowed the residue to be readily dissolved through his skin. Most electronics guys I know don't regularly wear gloves (and in some cases eye protection).

A nine hour trip though is a pretty heavy dose.

edit:

Another thing to consider is that he claims the crystalline residue was quite noticeable. If the outer layers of the residue were oxidized then the inner parts of the crystal may have been protected from the elements until he released it with the cleaner.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

it is not impossible, albert hofmann had accidentally taken his first trip via his fingers.

Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

wish I could get some
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Guru

the real trip here is that people believe this story.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Somehow, this is the most appropriate Buchla story ever.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
wish I could get some
You're better off with mushrooms !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search