The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Accidentally dosed by LSD while repairing a Buchla
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

oh no! they killed kenny & removed the video from youtube.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
oh no! they killed kenny & removed the video from youtube.
Its available at https://www.residentadvisor.net/feed/108722

Last year, I opened up this thing to repair it:

... and guess what I got!

Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Addict

Was it limited to your hands...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post

Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post

Cooties? ;-)
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

The fact is that Don Buchla participated in very special events.
may be that much was invented as the alleged DEA incident with William Leonard Pickard in the atlas missile silo (allegedly an agent was sent on a trip ) .. but a certain truth is still present

Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datpersian View Post
There were a couple of times I dosed, once while jamming with my Buchla and another at this show...

Swans and acid would put me on a permanent bad trip. Michael Gira is scary!
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
The fact is that Don Buchla participated in very special events.
may be that much was invented as the alleged DEA incident with William Leonard Pickard in the atlas missile silo (allegedly an agent was sent on a trip ) .. but a certain truth is still present

Ah Pickard was the guy who apparently always had Deep Forest playing when tripping.

The crazy Hamilton-Byrne acid family in Australia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_..._New_Age_group)

They took over a psychiatric hospital and dosed up all the patients, gave a few lobotomies...
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Now I want a Buchla
Now I want a life that has enough free responsibility free time to enjoy a day on LSD.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Ah Pickard was the guy who apparently always had Deep Forest playing when tripping.

The crazy Hamilton-Byrne acid family in Australia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_..._New_Age_group)

They took over a psychiatric hospital and dosed up all the patients, gave a few lobotomies...
here you can read it a little bit more details, with reservations .. hmmm greatfull dead concerts as distribution network .. hmmm,)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Leonard_Pickard
What really happened then I can not say, was not there .. I'm more concerned with myth making ..
What is perhaps crucial is the fact that LSD was still legal then.

stolen from synthtopia:

*Synth pioneer Don Buchla‘s instruments were grew out of the West Coast counterculture movement of the 1960’s – when electronic music, light shows and psychedelic drugs were intertwined.

Buchla was associated with events like Stewart Brand‘s San Francisco Trips Festival, which described the TRIP, or electronic performance, as a “new medium of communication & entertainment.”

“I just showed up at the places with my instruments, took some acid, played some music,” said Buchla.

Since then, there’s been a legend about a Buchla ‘Red Panel’ module, which was covered with LSD, leading to mind-expanding synth experiences.*
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
You're better off with mushrooms !
Better off not fuggin' with any of it....if you're gonna do something, stick to the green.

I don't get the glorification the hippie lifestyle/culture(most of them that survived aren't even real liberals/civil libertarians any more)....it's a black hole that destroyed lives....some never recovered/got out of it alive. Seen it first hand in the most painful way, too close to mention. It was all bs IMO....but some definitely cool music and advancement in tech came from the time for sure!
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

*....it's a black hole that destroyed lives....*

a professional speaks .. reminds me of this scene.

Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John01W View Post
Better off not fuggin' with any of it....if you're gonna do something, stick to the green.

I don't get the glorification the hippie lifestyle/culture(most of them that survived aren't even real liberals/civil libertarians any more)....it's a black hole that destroyed lives....some never recovered/got out of it alive. Seen it first hand in the most painful way, too close to mention. It was all bs IMO....but some definitely cool music and advancement in tech came from the time for sure!
I only suggested mushrooms as a safer and all round more wholesome alternative for someone who has already decided to take a psychedelic.... Mushrooms were used by people long before the american white middle class kids found them.... but there was so much that happened in the 60s that one person's testimony can never have the full picture. It was only around 60% BS in my estimation! Listen to or read Alan Watts for the some of the best to come out of it.
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

that's like someone saying stick to booze weed is evil...

seriously..
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathodeRay View Post
Pretty far out! What i find interesting about the story is that the LSD retained its potency after so many decades.
i can go in a re-trip 40y after using LSD, so it is very potent (and endemic)

groovy, maybe Owsley used the red module to filter components in his quest for the ultimate experience

btw, greens can be turned in hippie H by ice crushing and filtering
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
It'd have to be a Buchla; Moog Modular is more of a mushroom vibe.
Nah, look inside a Sequential Circuits Pro One if you wanna see shrooms.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

At long last, the hardwave vs. software debate has been conclusively settled.
Old 24th May 2019
Quote:
Stick to the stuff that turns people into passive zombies instead of the stuff that inspires creativity?
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Good story, great thread title, I don’t believe those people at all.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

accidentally dosed on LSD modding a Casio VL tone wouldn't sound quite as hip, would it.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
accidentally dosed on LSD modding a Casio VL tone wouldn't sound quite as hip, would it.
Meth is more likely in this scenario.
Old 24th May 2019
I got a static shock touching my arturia buchla
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

re

its not been a secret, there has been stories for years that the Pranksters soaked electronics in acid. They also put acid everywhere and dosed people all the time. Its way weird and uncool by today's standards but it was a known thing to be careful what you drank or touched when around Kesey or the Dead in those days. You got to go back to where they were in those days, they thought acid was the answer to all. I have enjoyed it and found it positive, but i cant say its the answer for everyone, lol. Buchla was deeply involved with the Pranksters. Before they had modular **** they were using lots of mics and tape loops and weird processing to make experimental audio during their "performances" and he built that stuff. You can hear lots of it in the existing tapes from the acid tests. MCs talking through tape delays and what not. You can store LSD for a very long time in decent conditions, Ive heard.
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Guru

I’ve done a fair share of psychedelics. They’re not for everyone, but if you’re careful and thoughtful, it can be amazing. Here are my tips.

Never do more than one. If it seems too weak, so be it. Dud? Move on and have a sober day. Better than overdosing.

Never take anything from a stranger.

Wake up early. Up all night isn’t even good sober.

Control your environment. It might sound great to go to Golden Gate Park tripping, but that run in with the crazy homeless dude or cop is going to sour things quickly. On acid, your living room is just as good!

Doing it with a first timer? Stay sober. A guide is important.

If you’re really apprehensive, don’t. Your mood and fears will sour the trip.

Had a great time tripping yesterday? Wait 3-4 months before you go again.

While waiting to effects to take place, put on Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club.

Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeBros View Post
You can store LSD for a very long time in decent conditions, Ive heard.
if it was in crystalline form, it may really be possible. in dissolved form, it is not stable enough with air contact. (blotter do not hold eternal)
he has told something about crystals that he did with the cleaner liqiud ...
in the future he should probably only work with the protective suit

Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post

a professional speaks

Professional? Don't claim to be......Qualified to give an opinion? Yes, unfortunately. As someone who saw it first hand losing the closest of loved ones and watching people throw their lives away(and hurt their loved ones in the process) because of the drug culture attached to it, I can say I've witnessed the dark side of it and it's consequences enough to know WTF I'm talking about. I wish I DIDN'T know, count your blessings if you don't. There's nothing admirable about someone losing themselves or trivializing it, and we lost too many greats to it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
that's like someone saying stick to booze weed is evil...

seriously..
No, not really. I'd still say keep off the booze and stick to green(responsibly) too...though you can drink responsibly. I don't advocate for either, but I'd say it's better than the alternatives(the list is long) used heavily in the culture.
Old 24th May 2019
Deleted ea69e11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’ve done a fair share of psychedelics. They’re not for everyone, but if you’re careful and thoughtful, it can be amazing. Here are my tips.

Never do more than one. If it seems too weak, so be it. Dud? Move on and have a sober day. Better than overdosing.

Never take anything from a stranger.

Wake up early. Up all night isn’t even good sober.

Control your environment. It might sound great to go to Golden Gate Park tripping, but that run in with the crazy homeless dude or cop is going to sour things quickly. On acid, your living room is just as good!

Doing it with a first timer? Stay sober. A guide is important.

If you’re really apprehensive, don’t. Your mood and fears will sour the trip.

Had a great time tripping yesterday? Wait 3-4 months before you go again.

While waiting to effects to take place, put on Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club.

good advice. i always take tiny amounts and for what ever reason its always enough.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

lysergic-aleatoric experiments, garage sounds, neo-shamanic voice incantations and cosmic synth ondulations

Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/...s-synthesizer/

Just saw this LSD story on An Indie Music blog
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPowerLabs View Post
Was it limited to your hands...?
It was indeed. Just as well it wasn't a Clap Trap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Cooties? ;-)
Booties.
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post

True, and false. One of my worst experiences was dosing up on cactus and heading inside to have a cup of tea while i waited for it to come on, and realising i hadn't done the housework. Very bad. Very, very bad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search