The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fcuk plugins. Fcuk em.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Fcuk plugins. Fcuk em.

So there. Clue's in the title of the thread. Is it just me? Still not loving it. Steals stuff I want to keep. Fcuk em.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Ok, just me then. As you were.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

One guy liked it enough to thumb it up. So he understood it. Maybe. :-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

fcuk always having to misspell fcuk.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstcaseontario View Post
fcuk always having to misspell fcuk.
In the "uk," some department store or clothing brand with the initials "fc" used to plaster "fcuk" all over the sides of buses and such. Enormously, in that Helvetica the Brits are so fcuking fond of.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

national lampoon magazine imagined a world after george carlin's seven words have lost their power. they mocked up fake ads with slogans like" our laundry detergent beats the fcuk out of the other leading brands", or a cereal box boasting " fcuking cool prize inside". that magazine was from the 80s(i think), and i've been hoping for it to happen ever since.
Old 1 week ago
I'm with you fcuk em. I've spent the last 10+ years in Logic Pro, trying to emulate the sound of hardware with just plug ins. Then I invest in hardware and now my music sounds like it is recorded with hardware

Still using Logic Pro, but definitely little or no plug ins besides I/O
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
One guy liked it enough to thumb it up. So he understood it. Maybe. :-)
It's two now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

You gotta plug hardware in right? I say go with solar powered pre amps and wood burning compressors.

Dave
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd View Post
You gotta plug hardware in right? I say go with solar powered pre amps and wood burning compressors.

Dave
Wanna buy some plugins, Dave?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Wanna buy some plugins, Dave?
Thanks but I don't bother with third party plug-ins. Stock plug-ins are fine for making hit records.

Dave
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd View Post
Thanks but I don't bother with third party plug-ins. Stock plug-ins are fine for making hit records.

Dave
A lot of things are fine for making hit records Dave, including pizzas from Dominos. I don't fancy them either though. Hope you make many hits this week. ;-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's two now.
Okay. 10-4. And you're right, on that basic level all plugins suck. Even a crap Mackie EQ, boost 3K a single dB and it does something that no plugin will ever do. So in that sense I hate plugins, too.

I hate digital audio even more. I've said it a lot here.

But if I stuck to my principals and abandoned all non-analog recording and songwriting and music-making because of it, well, I'd hate that the most.

Gotta go with what I hate least. :-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Okay. 10-4. And you're right, on that basic level all plugins suck. Even a crap Mackie EQ, boost 3K a single dB and it does something that no plugin will ever do. So in that sense I hate plugins, too.

I hate digital audio even more. I've said it a lot here.

But if I stuck to my principals and abandoned all non-analog recording and songwriting and music-making because of it, well, I'd hate that the most.

Gotta go with what I hate least. :-)
I have zero problem with digital recording of the audio. Sounds great. I mean, there is something about a quality tape machine that is awesome too, and somehow more palpable and 'hanging mid air', but generally digital audio gives me no hateful issues. Until you involve plugins. lol.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
... generally digital audio gives me no hateful issues.
I understand. And I've droned on about this before.

But put me in front of recorded music that's never been digital -- vinyl, tape, whatever -- and I can bliss out for hours. Even with music I don't especially like. But play me a supposedly AAA LP that took one measly, undocumented trip through a 1610 at the mastering house and I'll want to shut it off after 10 minutes.

I can't explain it. I suspect it's more than just "hearing" in the usual sense. But I know I'm not the only one. And it certainly didn't kill the record business all by itself, but it drove a nail or two in the coffin.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
A lot of things are fine for making hit records Dave, including pizzas from Dominos. I don't fancy them either though. Hope you make many hits this week. ;-)
I have a mix of feelings about plugs, good and bad. I use a lot.

But knowing what you like and how you like to work is crucial.

Sometimes, in the course of human events, a pizza must be ordered from Dominos. (Especially if they have a 2-for-1 deal and a bunch of dead weight hangers-on are clogging the facility.)

But there ARE better pizza makers out there.

Like everything, horses for courses.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Fcuk processing in general. I feel like more and more I have gone down the rabbit hole of chasing a "sound" first and making the actual music somehow secondary.
I would take good music with zero processing over some boring, derivative nonsense recorded and mixed with the best hardware. That was kind of the spirit of the early indie rock and Lofi movement and while I'm sure there is still great music being made in that vein, it doesn't quite seem to be the force it once was.

And by the way, plugins are great.

(That doesn't mean that the alternative isn't better. Kinda like diet coke and masturbation).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
Fcuk processing in general. I feel like more and more I have gone down the rabbit hole of chasing a "sound" first and making the actual music somehow secondary.
I would take good music with zero processing over some boring, derivative nonsense recorded and mixed with the best hardware. That was kind of the spirit of the early indie rock and Lofi movement and while I'm sure there is still great music being made in that vein, it doesn't quite seem to be the force it once was.

And by the way, plugins are great.

(That doesn't mean that the alternative isn't better. Kinda like diet coke and masturbation).

Diet Coke and masturbation. Good EP title for an up and coming act. Or not.

Yup, sorely sick of the overt focus on painfully technical production these days, most often production of nothing much at all. Angular frequency puzzles. Not often music.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Diet Coke and masturbation. Good EP title for an up and coming act.
Slips don't get more Freudian than that 'un. :-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maybe. Not sure I grasped it, or how it got into the picture at all......
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70

Diet Coke and masturbation. Good EP title for an up and coming act.

Quote:
Maybe. Not sure I grasped it, or how it got into the picture at all......
I had to look twice...

I believe the key is the well (if not necessarily intentionally) loaded phrase:

" [...] an up and coming act."

About the only words there not pretty well loaded with potential double meaning there are 'an' and 'and.'

But, hey, don't be so quick to disavow your apparent cleverness. Don't forget, Freud suggested that, when it comes to human expression, there are no accidents.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
But, hey, don't be so quick to disavow your apparent cleverness. Don't forget, Freud suggested that, when it comes to human expression, there are no accidents.
And if he's not sure he grasped it, he should cut back on the lube.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sadly most disciples currently are plugged In and inserting something quantitative up each others collectively gaping clapping holes! Can you imagine slate at 16 years old? ‘I, promise you, no honestly I promise you, I’m not going to come in your..... oh good god, I’m so sorry here’s a free plugin’. Whaddaya mean, you don’t no a U67... Fabrice she didn’t believe me?

No shweat Schteeven, das in Ich Pul...Trick!
Ahhhh
Vonderbar?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Ok I get it now....lol...but you feckers have got my thread all oily.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly, less is more.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

My studio is plugin free, only a console, hardware effects, and tape. I have a Pro Tools rig, but that's only my storage medium. I limited myself to focus on the music and use the tools that I have. Why bother getting plugins when you know in the back of your head that the greatest music ever made was made in a simple fashion. Plus they are worthless, no resale value.

Plugins are cool for post production, tv jingles, and surgical EQ. But for actual music I keep it simple and don't f*ck around too much with the sound, the band has to bring it. It has to sound like a record already from the recording part. All the stuff I have on the channels of the 4K is enough.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
My studio is plugin free, only a console, hardware effects, and tape. I have a Pro Tools rig, but that's only my storage medium. I limited myself to focus on the music and use the tools that I have. Why bother getting plugins when you know in the back of your head that the greatest music ever made was made in a simple fashion. Plus they are worthless, no resale value.

Plugins are cool for post production, tv jingles, and surgical EQ. But for actual music I keep it simple and don't f*ck around too much with the sound, the band has to bring it. It has to sound like a record already from the recording part. All the stuff I have on the channels of the 4K is enough.
I'd love to hear some of that. Even a tiny bit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd love to hear some of that. Even a tiny bit.
From Pro Tools straight to the console and back. Kept the energy intact.
Attached Files

SSL mix.mp3 (4.41 MB, 295 views)

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
My studio is plugin free, only a console, hardware effects, and tape. I have a Pro Tools rig, but that's only my storage medium. I limited myself to focus on the music and use the tools that I have. Why bother getting plugins when you know in the back of your head that the greatest music ever made was made in a simple fashion.
I understand where you are coming from in general, but if everyone felt that way, no one would have ever plugged into an amplifier in the first place and most of that great music you love would not have been made. I mean why bother getting a console when you know in the back of your head you know that the greatest music ever made was made with strings, woodwinds, and brass in a concert hall?

Quote:
Plus they are worthless, no resale value.
That is actually not entirely true.
Most plugins can be resold and they actually hold their value quite well in the short term.
There is even a cottage industry of losers buying low and selling high on forums like KVR for example.

Quote:
... I keep it simple and don't f*ck around too much with the sound, the band has to bring it. It has to sound like a record already from the recording part. All the stuff I have on the channels of the 4K is enough.
I can't argue with you there. That's a great attitude to have regardless of the type of tools you are using.

That said, music is a very broad world and there as many successful approaches to music making as their are styles and genres.
Even though there are tons of musical styles that I don't like, I appreciate that they exist, and for some of them plugins are as essential as electric guitars are to others. It's all music though, regardless of what others think.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search