The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
There back...
Old 9th May 2019
There back...

For about 2 months I have not been plagued by stupid robo calls or calls from people wanting to sell me stuff or wanting to survey me.

In the last two days I have gotten 21 calls from Google, six phone calls from "medical insurance/ Medicare providers, 1 from a mysterious voice who just leaves a phone number to call back and repeats it three times. I also got a phone call from someone who I could not understand due to his thick Hispanic accent. He continually asked why I could not speak Spanish and he could not understand why someone today could not speak with them in their native language. He wanted to know everything about my business but he seemed to think this was a college and wanted to come here to study. I also got two phone calls from "Apple tech support" wanting to have access to my computer to "update your software" and one from someone wanting to have a representative come by and survey my "commercial" roof for an estimate.

The lull was nice. The 21 calls from Google were NOT nice.

YUCK, this must be the season for SPAM and Robo calls.

I am so fu$king tired of this.

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 9th May 2019 at 02:46 PM..
Old 9th May 2019
Deleted 11f77bb
there?
Old 9th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 11f77bb View Post
there?

I know it is suppose to be They're back but...

I was interrupted in the middle of posting by a phone call from someone who wanted to survey me about my feeling about politics in Ohio. I hung up. That is my feeling about stupidly done "surveys".

It seems you cannot change the title once you hit the send button.

FWIW

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 1 week ago at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
For about 2 months I have not been plagued by stupid robo calls or calls from people wanting to sell me stuff or wanting to survey me.

In the last two days I have gotten 21 calls from Google, six phone calls from "medical insurance/ Medicare providers, 1 from a mysterious voice who just leaves a phone number to call back and repeats it three times. I also got a phone call from someone who I could not understand due to his thick Hispanic accent. He continually asked why I could not speak Spanish and he could not understand why someone today could not speak with them in their native language. He wanted to know everything about my business but he seemed to think this was a college and wanted to come here to study. I also got two phone calls from "Apple tech support" wanting to have access to my computer to "update your software" and one from someone wanting to have a representative come by and survey my "commercial" roof for an estimate.

The lull was nice. The 21 calls from Google were NOT nice.

YUCK, this must be the season for SPAM and Robo calls.

I am so fu$king tired of this.
Hi, Thomas! Junk calls are an abomination, as we've agreed before.

One thing the calls that seem to be from Google are almost certainly a third party scammer -- it's a well-established scam...

Overcoming the “Your Google Listing is Incomplete” Cold Call Trap

Quote:
we have some guidelines straight from Google.

“Watch out for parties calling and selling services claiming to have a special relationship with or claiming to be Google. Often, these parties are telemarketers that are not affiliated with Google and are trying to leverage the Google brand to sell your business some type of online service. Keep in the mind the following:

Google does not place robocalls.
Google does not call to “update your front page listing” or ask you to “claim your free website.”
Google does not charge for inclusion in Google Search or Google My Business.”
Also, there’s this…

“Google does not:

offer to improve your search ranking or manage your business’s online profile.
ask you for your password or verification code. You should never provide sensitive information about your account (like your password and verification code) to a caller.”
Of course, knowing the calls are fraudulent is not particularly reassuring if they keep coming in.

I seem to recall your problem is with a landline. There are blocker apps (of varying quality) for iOS and Android mobiles, but to block callers on a landline, you're generally at the mercy of the service provider, as I'm sure you know. Many (most/all?) offer blocking services for additional fees.

(I just helped my near-90 next door neighbor switch from a noisy, often-out landline to a cell phone. Her basic tel bill will go down from over $40 a month for the crappy landline [that she would have paid extra for to get blocking on] to around $20 or under -- and least until she discovers the joys and terrors of the Internet; even so, the Consumer Cellular [US] account we picked for her is flexible and, as long as she doesn't go crazy web surfing, quite reasonable. And she even gets an AARP retiree discount of 5%.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Hi, Thomas! Junk calls are an abomination, as we've agreed before.

One thing the calls that seem to be from Google are almost certainly a third party scammer -- it's a well-established scam...

Overcoming the “Your Google Listing is Incomplete” Cold Call Trap

Of course, knowing the calls are fraudulent is not particularly reassuring if they keep coming in.

I seem to recall your problem is with a landline. There are blocker apps (of varying quality) for iOS and Android mobiles, but to block callers on a landline, you're generally at the mercy of the service provider, as I'm sure you know. Many (most/all?) offer blocking services for additional fees.

(I just helped my near-90 next door neighbor switch from a noisy, often-out landline to a cell phone. Her basic tel bill will go down from over $40 a month for the crappy landline [that she would have paid extra for to get blocking on] to around $20 or under -- and least until she discovers the joys and terrors of the Internet; even so, the Consumer Cellular [US] account we picked for her is flexible and, as long as she doesn't go crazy web surfing, quite reasonable. And she even gets an AARP retiree discount of 5%.)
I read the information, THANKS for sharing.

Yesterday I got 6 calls. 4 were hangups, one from a women speaking Chinese and one from someone wanting to take care of our outgoing shipping. When I told him I was a one person mastering and restoration business he told me that I was on a registry of companies making over 2 million a year. News to me but that explains all the calls from all the 100,000 sq/ft roofing companies and the people who want to take over our payroll or manage our accounts receivable. I asked him how I could get off the list and he said he did not know. Someone sometime must have typed our info into the database incorrectly. Ah the joys of the internet.

Today I got four phone calls. Two were hangups and one from a client and one was from a Chinese women who sounded like she was giving me a "BIG" warning. I hung up. I think it was part of this scam https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...cam/735409002/

I don't speak Chinese so I do not know what the call was about but the caller sure sounded agitated.

The other night I got two phone calls after 8 pm both were scams. One wanted to tell me I could have an interest free credit card all I had to do was give him my credit card number and my pass code and he would take care of the rest. The other was a survey of what I thought about politics in Ohio. The way the survey is done is a way to influence how you think. NO THANKS!

FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Every time a new phone number is registered with Verizon, ATT etc, they sell that phone number (and potentially some personal info) to robo call companies.

You can look it up. Our own phone carriers have sold us out for a couple extra dollars and a small bump in stock price.
Old 1 week ago
There's relief in sight! The FCC is beginning to crack down. New laws to go into effect very soon.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
There's relief in sight! The FCC is beginning to crack down. New laws to go into effect very soon.
Yea, but if you read about it on line you will see that telco companies can "charge" for the service of blocking. Who's to know if the telco companies are really the ones behind many of the robo calls we get and now they can charge for blocking those same calls.

I will bet that within a month of the new laws the robo callers will find a way around the blocking. So the telco companies will be charging us for blocking the robo calls even if the blocking is ineffective.

It is a never ending game of cat and mouse.

FWIW
Old 1 week ago
I have not heard of that on the news, at least it's not being covered on national television.
Old 1 week ago
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/06/73041...ewer-robocalls

Read the 2nd to the last and last paragraph.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Yea, but if you read about it on line you will see that telco companies can "charge" for the service of blocking. Who's to know if the telco companies are really the ones behind many of the robo calls we get and now they can charge for blocking those same calls.

I will bet that within a month of the new laws the robo callers will find a way around the blocking. So the telco companies will be charging us for blocking the robo calls even if the blocking is ineffective.

It is a never ending game of cat and mouse.

FWIW
I hate to feed Thomas' sense that they're out to get him -- or rather all of us -- but I'm afraid he's got a point. (Though I suspect the telcos are not directly behind robo callers. But, obviously, those telcos are service providers to mass call center operations and those operations certainly provide service revenue to the telcos. So... one doesn't have to be too cynical or 'paranoid' to see some form of economic symbiosis there.)

But, for sure, the telcos aren't going to change their own spots. If the very telco-friendly political appointees currently dominating the FCC leadership give them the option of charging customers for call-blocking services, those telcos are all but certain to take them up on the revenue avenue.

Meanwhile, I just switched mobile phone blocker apps. Because my old course of blocking 'local spoofs' (numbers beginning with the victim's own area code and local prefix) which had worked well for a long time was finally starting to be end-run by full-spoofs (or actual phone numbers! A double reverse trick! ), I had to start blocking EVERYTHING but numbers already in my contacts list. (My old blocker app was set to block non-contact numbers but, for whatever reasons, wasn't doing it.) So far, so good. Now the spammers will have to figure out how to trick me into adding them to my contacts list. (Good luck on that, sleazy spammers!)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search