The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PACE iLok licences on stolen machine...clearly impossible
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Addict

PACE iLok licences on stolen machine...clearly impossible

Just had a laptop stolen out of a client's studio on a coffee break. There were 51 iLok licenses activated on that machine. Happily I still had seats left on everything so I am up and running already on a rental machine but...

...apparently iLok doesn't even consider this is a possibility? I just submitted an RMA for an unknown stolen iLok because that's the closest possible thing in their support system to my case. I'm assuming I'll end up having to contact each manufacturer directly and get them to disactivate the licenses on the stolen machine and give me new seats.

Just to be clear, I had an iLok go missing before and did the TLC zero-downtime deal, from what I remember there was no issues and it was relatively painless. This situation is just bizarre though...even if they can't do anything about it themselves, why does their support system have absolutely no mention of what one should do if a machine is stolen with licenses activated to it? Surely I'm not the first person this has happened to...
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Maniac

iLok is a fundamentally stupid idea. CHANGE MY MIND!
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Addict

Did get a quick reply...I have to request a Location Reset from one of the manufacturers and the rest should be informed automatically. Not too bad. Would be good to know that up front.
Old 2nd May 2019
I too do not like the Ilok BUT I also don't like it when someone pirates software since I pay for all of mine . I guess until people stop stealing we will have to live with software protection devices.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear
Is strange that PACE don't see the opportunity. The product is clearly for the software vendors, and they have to force this upon their customers. Many of them hate the dongle. And the software don't give the end users, only a risk to lose their licence. PACE should do the opposite, they should provide safety to the end customers and get the customers to want that safety, now they try do get them to pay for it, and they will dislike the product even more. How is the software dongle handled when lost? A broken hard-disk is fairly common. Do people use them for their licenses with a values many times of disk?
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Is strange that PACE don't see the opportunity. The product is clearly for the software vendors, and they have to force this upon their customers. Many of them hate the dongle. And the software don't give the end users, only a risk to lose their licence. PACE should do the opposite, they should provide safety to the end customers and get the customers to want that safety, now they try do get them to pay for it, and they will dislike the product even more. How is the software dongle handled when lost? A broken hard-disk is fairly common. Do people use them for their licenses with a values many times of disk?
To be fair I pointed this out to the agent handling my support and he mentioned it's actually in the FAQ. Not theft directly, but if you get a new computer and the old one is "inaccessible." Only thing is I didn't think to look at the FAQ, only their support system. While there is probably a more clear way of displaying that information, it is in fact on their site and I did miss it...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search