The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The New (German) Flower Pot Guy...but with a twist.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
The New (German) Flower Pot Guy...but with a twist.

Evening all.
Long time leecher of all the wise and not so wise words on this forum.
The situation below has compelled me to finally contribute.

I’m not 100% on all the policies so I won’t be putting any names in this so the post remains active but if I get the all clear I can list the Ebay account names and also the person himself.

The similarity with the infamously bizarre and frustrating ‘Flower Pot Guy’ is with his insanely inflated prices. But... this sellers/buyers tactics are just out of order.

This will be longer than I’d like but I’d rather make everything clear from the start to avoid too many clarifications later on.

Backstory:

I sold a couple of outboard units on eBay, sent to Germany (I’m in the UK) via the Ebay GSP.
Payment hadn’t been made after a week so I opened an unpaid case and sent a couple of messages.
An hour before the deadline payment was made. No messages.
Didn’t feel great about the whole deal but packed the units up and sent them off.
They arrive within a week. Another week passes then a refund claim is opened.
The note in the claim states that the packaging wasn’t adequate (it was) and that they were damaged, potentially beyond repair.
I message the buyer to try and rectify things, and ask for pics.
No response.
Paypal frozen.
After arguing with eBay they state that as it was sent through the GSP they would take responsibility for the refund.
So he keeps the items, I keep my money, he gets his money back.

That flawed system/loophole is a whole other thread that I’m not getting into!

I tell Ebay that I’d rather give him a refund and get my units back as I don’t trust him but I get a stock reply saying the case is closed and I should be happy.

I check his feedback and due to ebays new policies where sellers can’t leave negative fees back he had 100%.
However someone had felt compelled enough to leave him positive feedback that called him a cheat and a liar.
Got in touch with the seller and they had the same story.

About a month later it popped back into my head and I thought I’d just check the listings to see if my units were being resold. On a hunch.
Sure enough, there they were, being sold on a different account, for twice the price I sold them for. Furthermore I also found the other sellers item.
Being a business account it lists the contact details...lo and behold....the same name as my buyer.

Few months later, I buy a bit more gear on eBay. I check the sellers completed listings to see if he had anything unsold that I might like to combine postage with and spot that this same item was sold 2 months previous. That prompted me to ask the seller if there was anything wrong with the item/had it been returned?
He then recounted an almost identical story to mine. However, he hadn’t used the GSP and was liable for the refund himself (the buyer was asking for a partial refund) and decided he just wanted the unit back.
The buyer....same guy.
The Ebay account he used, a third one.
The feedback on that account, 100%.
But the same few negative, outraged comments. Again I got in touch with a couple of the sellers and the same stories emerge.

So now we have 2 buyer accounts (that I know of), low scored, and a seller/business account all owned by the same man.

Last case...
A few more months pass and one of my saved searches come up, I click through and it’s my favourite German Seller.
I know a few of these units have been sold over the last couple of months so I check my watch list and manage to match the serial numbers.
This might be getting tedious now but...I get in touch with the seller, ask if anything went awry with the sale and... he said it was FINE!
No, sorry, just trying to add a twist but he actually had exactly the same experience as everyone else. Complaint about damage, partial refund given, a month after the sale, after the seller had left feedback.

There is a slight twist with the last story though, as our “Blumentopf Kerl” (google translate so apologies if I offend any German speakers) used his same account to buy, complain, then relist the item.

Now, this bit I want to make VERY CLEAR

I do not have a problem with people buying items and selling them for a markup. That’s business. He even guarantees the items he sells. Fair enough. I don’t want this to collapse into a discussion about the free market.

What I can’t abide are shysters.

I actually got lucky and managed to keep my money.
But too many repeated stories (and these are only the ones I’ve stumbled upon) lead me to believe with good conviction that this guy is not only hiking up the prices of prosumer audio gear (his choice, good luck) but is increasing his margin by scamming other, well meaning ebayers.
Some of which were also quite new/infrequent sellers and have been left burnt by the ordeal.

Due to Ebay no longer allowing negative feedback for sellers (which I do kinda understand why) and now being too big to be bothered to investigate most fraud (I have tried) I felt it necessary to get this on here to see if anyone else has come across this guy and been stung in the same way.

Sorry for the essay but as it’s my first post I thought I’d make it a long one ?

I’m off to make dinner and drink some more whiskey and will check back in a while to see if anyone has bitten.

Happy slutting

LB

Also, not totally sure which section I should be posting this in so if anyone knows any better feel free to move it or let me know.
Old 4 days ago
I would report him to some kind of authority, have you thought about contacting ebay about it? they might be able to investigate.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
I would report him to some kind of authority, have you thought about contacting ebay about it? they might be able to investigate.
Done that a couple of times. And so have the sellers I’ve alerted. Ebay seemed more annoyed at me for snooping!
His business account is doing well so I imagine they could be more concerned with the revenue they’d lose.
I might give it another go but thought I’d try and build a bigger case before going back to them. These incidences are only the ones I’ve happened to stumble upon so I’m pretty certain there must be many more.
The basic premise is:
If you’ve ever sold audio gear to a guy in Germany with the initials AA and he’s requested some sort of partial refund then we’re talking about the same guy.
Most wont know anything about his seller account.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search