The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
USPS Priority Service - WTF?
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

USPS Priority Service - WTF?

This is the third Priority shipment - two that originated with me, 1 coming to me, that has taken 5 days or more. I shipped a legal size envelope last Monday to my daughter 240 miles away - didn't show up till Saturday. Two weeks ago, I shipped some tubes to a repair guy in Nashville from Cincinnati - in a priority box that was dropped off Monday morning, didn't show up in Nashville till Friday.

And then this, from NYC to Cincinnati. The shipper assures me it was dropped of on Monday and Friday it is 8 miles away IN JERSEY FVCKING CITY. Now I've driven from Brooklyn to Jersey City, and it is a major pain the a$$, but not 5 days of pain.

The same 2 day delay as my other 2 from "label created" to "accepted at origin..."

Attached Thumbnails
USPS Priority Service - WTF?-usps.jpg  
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Nut
I feel your pain swaff's. The same sort of bad/poor/slack service is happening hear in Oz.

I work from home and order on-line for some things. Therefore MOSTLY I"M AT HOME, but instead of taking the time to walk up the steps and knock on the door (or just leave it), they leave a card in the mail box, then I have to go out of my way to go to the nearest Post Office to pick up. When I KNOW, I have been at home waiting for the delivery.

That costs me money and time!!! I've payed for postage (sometime priority) - I expect it to come to my door.

I don't really blame the posties, maybe they have way to much to deliver and need to cut corners somewhere. But what p*sses me off is that someone, somewhere, is raking in the cash, and the postal service is becoming worse. It should be better these days, not worse.
Old 12th April 2019
I feel your pain! Anything sent via USPS under any guise is still considered snail mail!

I ordered some books from Amazon, everything arrived except what was sent via the postal service and I'm still waiting.
Old 13th April 2019
My post office says that the PO is basically overwhelmed with AMAZON and other online merchants mailings. They still have the same staff but their workload has almost doubled. Add to that in Cleveland they had to basically fire all the employees in one PO department for incompetence. They were taking days to process the mail. Not good. UPS and FedEx can and do hire additional staff for peak periods but the PO cannot do that. It is as troubling for them as it is for the user. FWIW.

The post office also does some "weird" things with the mail from time to time. Like a policy change a couple of years ago when all mail in town went into Cleveland to be sorted. That lasted about three years. I would mail an invoice to someone in Oberlin and it would take from 3 to 7 days to get to them. Now intercity mail goes to the sorting table and is delivered to most people in Oberlin the next day. Some bureaucrat in Washington thought it would "speed up the mail" to go 35 miles away and then be sent back 35 miles. It was a disaster. They also keep changing the routes of the local postmen. So one week the carrier is getting here at 11:00 am and the next week I don't get my mail until 3 pm. Come on just leave things the way they are. I have a really good postman during the week. On weekends the postman is always someone new and he/she leaves mail in some strange places even though I have an oversized mail box which they can use for packages. One time the postman left a small package under the mailbox and it was raining heavily. Luckily there was nothing that could not get wet in the package. GRRRRRRR!

Anyway the post office says they are always losing money and I am not sure how that happens since they keep raising postage rates. I guess one reason is that a carrier now makes over $50,000 a year (more with overtime) and they have full benefits.

FWIW

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 14th April 2019 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Added a paragraph
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Nut
Yep, there's so many smarter & stupider people making more money than I do these days.

I'm happy enough to pick up my 12 string guitar, play a tune and recede into oblivion...
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear
If I remember correctly, the USPS is required to have its retirement program funded for decades to come... which will cut in to the bottom line.
Also Amazon/e-commerce...
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

Priority Mail

It is an excellent service.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

I always though Priority meant they will break your item first.
So far for me, one broken guitar and one broken ADAT pre amp over 4 years.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Guru

Gee, it's like I'm getting a completely different service here. USPS Priority Mail has been my most reliable shipping service, by far. On time, no packages lost, great price. It seems like there are significant regional variations to the service.
Old 2nd May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Gee, it's like I'm getting a completely different service here. USPS Priority Mail has been my most reliable shipping service, by far. On time, no packages lost, great price. It seems like there are significant regional variations to the service.

No problems here. Friendly Post Office staff, GREAT service, no boxes crushed and ON TIME delivery.

FWIW
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Dunno. Generally I don't have a problem with Priority. Maybe it's using 'Click and Ship' off their site and then handing it off at USPS. But, after having conflicting conversations about closing a P.O Box and every employee to a person going "I did not know that was possible" and their online techsupport people telling me "that is not possible" then me demonstrating in real time that the thing in question (getting a full refund) is possible, I feel like when it comes to USPS, anything is possible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search