The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Damn so reverb charges tax now Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Damn so reverb charges tax now

Bought a synth off reverb today and got an unpleasant suprise during checkout of an extra 115 bux on top of the sold price. Not cool. So now for every 1000 bux ya spend on reverb gotta give the pimps their 100 bux. At least in Washington. I guess taxes are different in all states and it might not even apply In your state or country idk. Anyways, Guess it was only a matter of time before the tax man came into the picture with hand out demanding money for stuff that's already been taxed. Taxing stuff that's already been taxed before! 'Merica!

Thought I'd let you guys know though in case ya didn't already because it doesn't say anything about it until after you've already bought the synth and are about to pay. Not cool uncle sam. Not cool.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntheseyez View Post
Thought I'd let you guys know though in case ya didn't already because it doesn't say anything about it until after you've already bought the synth and are about to pay. Not cool uncle sam. Not cool.
It's not "Uncle Sam", it's your state. Evidently, Reverb has established nexus (directly or indirectly) in yours:

What is Nexus? | Sales Tax Institute
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Tax on reverb? What’s next? Will they also tax delay or satruration?
But seriously I think it is true that you are paying the local taxes. I also pay 27%VAT when buying a software online - no matter weather it is from Germany or US or the moon...
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Guru

I’m confused as to how it’s gone this long. I remember Rudy’s music shipping empty boxes to my house in NJ so I could avoid sales tax in 1980. Now with so much commerce going on over state lines using the internet... well it had to happen. Guess what? That road you drive on actually costs money to make and maintain. Look what happened to Kansas when they slashed all their taxes. Instead of becoming some sort of booming economy like they said it would, it tanked even worse than it had been. Meanwhile, here in high tax CA, we can’t get enough people to fill the jobs here.

Yes. Taxes suck, but you know what sucks worse? Living in a s-hole state. Pay your taxes and make sure politicians do a good job spending that money or vote them the hell out. </psa>
Old 6th April 2019
I researched this topic a few months ago when I was about to make some high-dollar purchases from Sweetwater and asked which states' sales taxes were going to be in effect from out-of-state retailers. I think Washington state was one of the first to get it; two or three others are next, as stated specifically by the Sweetwater rep in late-2018. An article I read said that California and New York will be last to settle on a national tax schedule due to complexities in their respective states' tax code. The word was something like "several years" for CA and NY.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Lol you must have missed the memo. As of Feb 1st they all do. Even sweetwater now charges tax.

Whatever - it's partly doing what it's supposed to be doing, which is bringing revenue back to your home state and hopefully, to some local stores as well. For example, I needed a 500 series module so I went to sweetwater. Saw the tax and figured, "Why the hell would I buy it from sweetwater? I might as well go straight to Dale pro audio or Alto music who have it and pick it up today, since I'm paying tax either way, I might as well buy local and have it now."

I tend to also buy some big ticket items. Some of them are more just me splurging anyway. When I see that it's gonna cost me another $400-$500 in tax, it's amazing how fast I can figure out if it's something I really need.

Besides, maybe it'll stir up the used gear market. It's been sh!tty the past year. Really stagnant. Maybe it's just me, or the type of stuff I look for but both Reverb and the GS Classifieds have been mostly dead compared to previous years when I've looked for gear.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
An article I read said that California and New York will be last to settle on a national tax schedule due to complexities in their respective states' tax code. The word was something like "several years" for CA and NY.
Definitely not. NYC here. As of Feb 1st, all online retailers pretty much hit us.
Old 6th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol you must have missed the memo. As of Feb 1st they all do. Even sweetwater now charges tax.
[EDIT: SCROLL TO NEWER POSTS BELOW!]

No, it's state-dependent. Some states have implemented it; most have not yet. As a resident of California, I still buy tax-free from Sweetwater and every other out-of-state retailer without an in-state presence.

Quote:
Definitely not. NYC here. As of Feb 1st, all online retailers pretty much hit us.
Didn't know that. I've made several purchases from out-of-state vendors since February without paying sales tax (though I haven't ordered anything from Sweetwater.) Nope. Just checked B+H Photo Video in New York—put a camera in my basket and clicked, "estimate shipping and sales tax." Still no tax for my California zip code.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, it's state-dependent. Some states have implemented it; most have not yet. As a resident of California, I still buy tax-free from Sweetwater and every other out-of-state retailer without an in-state presence.
I just realized I was speaking from my NYC perspective. As of Feb 1st, I pay tax everywhere online.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Didn't know that. I've made several purchases from out-of-state vendors since February without paying sales tax (though I haven't ordered anything from Sweetwater.)
Lucky you lol...so far I've been hit pretty much from every audio retailer. I even wanted to buy a rack unit from Eventide's reverb store and they hit me, although it's Jersey so I just waited because I had to head to Jersey like 2 days later so I just got it in person because Jersey sales tax is way lower so since I could buy it in Jersey I saved almost $20 by doing that. I mean, I was gonna be in Jersey anyway so it worked out.
Old 6th April 2019
Well, it all evens out I guess. Living in Los Angeles county, I think we pay the highest sales tax rate in the country: 9.5%! [Edit: I stand corrected! See posts below.]
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Complain about paying sales tax when your house is on fire and you want the fire dept to come and save your stuff... or when some crazed lunatic breaks into your best factory to steal your synth collection and you want the coppers to go get your stuff back from the pawn shop for you...

Lame

No sales taxes on web sales is what made mom and pop shops and almost every local music and bookstore disappear... and amazon still has yet to pay a dime in federal income tax

Someone’s gotta keep the lights on, baby... and it ain’t gonna be the 1%

Last edited by bgood; 6th April 2019 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Sp
Old 6th April 2019
Quote:
I just realized I was speaking from my NYC perspective. As of Feb 1st, I pay tax everywhere online.
Whoa! I just ordered a pedal from a well-known NYC retailer, and YES, they charged me 9.5% California states sales tax! I ordered a pedal from them last week—no sales tax. This must have JUST happened to California residents! Oh well. The last big-ticket item I was hoping to scrape by with was a Quantum—at the Los Angeles County rate of 9.5%, that's $399 in state sales tax, bringing the instrument's total cost to $4,599. Won't even think about buying a Moog One!
Old 6th April 2019
Quote:
Well, it all evens out I guess. Living in Los Angeles county, I think we pay the highest sales tax rate in the country: 9.5%!
It’s 10.4% for us just above Seattle.

Regarding online purchases, most formats at the moment charge tax. It was a change in legislation Only small shops are able to somewhat avoid charging. In Washington state, you was supposed to self regulate the paying of taxes. My guess is only legitimate business did.

Will a New Supreme Court Decision Change Online Shopping? - The Atlantic
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

the beginning of the end..

reputable is different .. will probably disappear just as quickly as they came ..
for me, the platform with the most ridiculous prices, makes many people wrong hopes.
it seems like many sales are fake..
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
the beginning of the end..

reputable is different .. will probably disappear just as quickly as they came ..
for me, the platform with the most ridiculous prices, makes many people wrong hopes.
it seems like many sales are fake..
They are. The worst is it becomes the guide price and the world follows. eBay round 2... like flowerpotguy.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
They are. The worst is it becomes the guide price and the world follows. eBay round 2... like flowerpotguy.
Here are 2 great examples

Steelphon S900 (Version2)- Rare Analog Synth | Reverb
Steelphon S900 (version 1) + Phaser mod. (inc. Originals | Reverb

a not very bright Swiss has bought so last year for 900.- ... be a honest collector .. now he really tries to sell for 4.5k ..at least nobody buys for the joke price
thank you reverb / fraud platform
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Like everything, it's buyer beware. I've gotten good deals on stuff but it's still like the wild west over there with regard to how wildly prices fluctuate.

The ones that get me are the stores that list things for way above the regular price, but then discount it to the same price everyone is selling it for so that they can get the badge "29% off sale!" on the item and meanwhile it's the same price as all the other ones from the other stores.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like everything, it's buyer beware. I've gotten good deals on stuff but it's still like the wild west over there with regard to how wildly prices fluctuate.

The ones that get me are the stores that list things for way above the regular price, but then discount it to the same price everyone is selling it for so that they can get the badge "29% off sale!" on the item and meanwhile it's the same price as all the other ones from the other stores.
In this case, I think it is not the buyers, the whole thing is faked by reverb itself .. so super sales attract people.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear
Reverb is a joke. You see ads stating 'Excellent' condition, and the item looks like it was yanked out of the trash can
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, it all evens out I guess. Living in Los Angeles county, I think we pay the highest sales tax rate in the country: 9.5%!
Just curious, is that 9.5% TOTAL tax or county tax only?
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Addict

Welp i guess the snowball is gonna roll. I just bought something on eBay a few mins ago from a out of state seller and got charged sales tax. I'm in CT
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Complain about paying sales tax when your house is on fire and you want the fire dept to come and save your stuff... or when some crazed lunatic breaks into your best factory to steal your synth collection and you want the coppers to go get your stuff back from the pawn shop for you...

Lame

No sales taxes on web sales is what made mom and pop shops and almost every local music and bookstore disappear... and amazon still has yet to pay a dime in federal income tax

Someone’s gotta keep the lights on, baby... and it ain’t gonna be the 1%
I usually wouldn't complain bout paying taxes. It's part of life and all. And I get the roads and services cost more than what I pay in taxes. I guess what bothers me is how they're taxing used stuff that's already been taxed before. I don't mind paying tax on new gear but when it's a 40 year old synth that's already been taxed before it definitely bothers me. And used gears already expensive enough without the added tax. Just kinda a kick in the ass for any musician trying to score a deal.

Edit: i probably sound like an idiot. I guess any actual store front that sells used stuff is gonna charge tax on it. Just a bummer because that 4000 obxa I wanted is now gonna be like 4500 bux. And like even if your able to talk someone down a few hundred bux ya end up paying that in taxes anyways now.
Old 6th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Just curious, is that 9.5% TOTAL tax or county tax only?
Yes, the 9.5% Los Angeles County sales tax is the total state sales tax rate, but cities within the county can add an additional tax rate on top of that. The minimum California state sales tax rate is 7.25%, but counties and cities may impose an additional tax rate on top of that which varies by municipality (+2.25% in my case), yielding a combined state sales tax rate anywhere from a minimum of 7.75% to a high of 10.25%, depending on where you live in California.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'd rather pay what you do

here's what we get in chicago:

Sales Tax Jurisdiction Breakdown
Illinois: 6.25%
Cook County: 1.75%
Chicago: 1.25%
Special: 1%

Total 10.25%

I haven't purchased anything big locally in a long, long time.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, the 9.5% Los Angeles County sales tax is the total state sales tax rate, but cities within the county can charge more. The minimum California state sales tax rate is 7.25%, but cities impose additional tax on top of that which varies by municipality (+2.25% in my case), yielding a combined state sales tax rate anywhere from a minimum of 7.75% to a high of 10.25%, depending on where you live in California. Didn't know Seattle was that high!
OK, my area it's 10% total...
Old 6th April 2019
I buy in Delaware...tax free and their GC is around 10 mins away
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Addict

Oh man, that really sucks. It will change where I buy gear. I might buy from my local Guitar Center or Sam Ash if they have the same products. At least I’ll get it faster then.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Looking at you zzounds. That $2800 prophet 6 is 2800 bux everywhere. no where does it cost 3200 or whatever it was they claimed was retail so it looks like a sale. I do like zzounds though haha they trusted sending me like 5 grand of gear that I'm making payments on hahah
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I buy in Delaware...tax free and their GC is around 10 mins away
I do the same thing, except I drive up to New Hampshire. Just order whatever it is and get it delivered to the store. I pay cash. No sales tax. Their license plate, on every car, says "Live Free or Die", so you can't be uptight after you cross state lines, or, you know....
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search