The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Lion Audio Warranty?
Old 13th March 2019
Black Lion Audio Warranty?

So I've been a loyal black lion customer for over 10 years. I've never had an issue with any of their mods or products (of which I have 5 currently). Well in January I had a mod fail under warranty. A Motu 896mk3 that has been my main interface for the last 2 years. I thought, no big deal, I'll send it in for warranty and I'll get it resolved. $60 shipping later, I waited for a response. Fast forward 4 weeks and I hadn't heard anything so I shot them an email. No response. 1 week later I emailed them again, this time a little more pointedly. I finally get a response saying,

"we are trying to source the parts to repair this unit. unfortunately the power supply has gone bad and motu no longer supports these units nor makes the part to repair them. we are looking into alternatives."

This was February 18th.

It is now March 12th and after almost 2 months now, they aren't returning any of my emails or phone calls. I am trying to run a business on a crappy backup unit and they seem okay with just letting me sit with no communication. I've never had an issue like this with them and it's really frustrating. Is this a new thing or have other people had problems with BLA customer service? I just want to know what is going on and if they aren't going to honor their warranty... I'm tired of being in limbo.
Old 13th March 2019
Sorry to hear about your problem. We do a fair amount of repair work on our own equipment and for others. Sourcing repair parts is getting really hard. It seems like today once a product is 3 to 5 years old parts that are not standard (like capacitors and resistors) are impossible to find or to source from other suppliers.

One of our local repair shops that does a lot of pro and consumer repair work has stopped taking in any TASCAM equipment as they cannot get any parts for the repairs from TASCAM.

I guess today we are living in a throw away world. I wish you a lot of luck dealing with Black Lion.
Old 13th March 2019
Here for the gear
Having a similar issue with BLA right now. Received a faulty BLA Seventeen new out of the box last week and groaned about it on their FB page. An employee asked I contact them via e-mail to resolve the issue. I did, and was told they'd have one new shipping to me on Monday of the past week complete with shipping and tracking info-- been 3 days and no more outreach, and no response when I've tried to follow up with them directly on this. I would say their having a customer service identity crisis right now. Pretty disappointed on both fronts (Quality control as well as customer service).
Old 13th March 2019
I really hope they aren't going under. I really like all their products. Unfortunately if they don't reach out to me soon, I might have to escalate it. Don't want to do it but I feel like I've got no choice right now.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dial View Post
So I've been a loyal black lion customer for over 10 years. I've never had an issue with any of their mods or products (of which I have 5 currently). Well in January I had a mod fail under warranty. A Motu 896mk3 that has been my main interface for the last 2 years. I thought, no big deal, I'll send it in for warranty and I'll get it resolved. $60 shipping later, I waited for a response. Fast forward 4 weeks and I hadn't heard anything so I shot them an email. No response. 1 week later I emailed them again, this time a little more pointedly. I finally get a response saying,

"we are trying to source the parts to repair this unit. unfortunately the power supply has gone bad and motu no longer supports these units nor makes the part to repair them. we are looking into alternatives."

This was February 18th.

It is now March 12th and after almost 2 months now, they aren't returning any of my emails or phone calls. I am trying to run a business on a crappy backup unit and they seem okay with just letting me sit with no communication. I've never had an issue like this with them and it's really frustrating. Is this a new thing or have other people had problems with BLA customer service? I just want to know what is going on and if they aren't going to honor their warranty... I'm tired of being in limbo.
Hi Ben

I am sorry you had issues with this unit. Your mod was booked aug 2nd 2016 and shipped back to you sep 2nd 2016. The problem you are having is 100% unrelated to our mod done that was 2 1/2 years ago. You are in need of a power supply that is proprietary to motu. We looked into other options as we discussed but in the end that is the only solution. We will gladly ship this for you to motu at our expense. I emailed you earlier about this. Please give me a call when you can, you have my information.

thanks

seth berman

Last edited by raddistribution; 13th March 2019 at 10:18 PM..
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLScott View Post
Having a similar issue with BLA right now. Received a faulty BLA Seventeen new out of the box last week and groaned about it on their FB page. An employee asked I contact them via e-mail to resolve the issue. I did, and was told they'd have one new shipping to me on Monday of the past week complete with shipping and tracking info-- been 3 days and no more outreach, and no response when I've tried to follow up with them directly on this. I would say their having a customer service identity crisis right now. Pretty disappointed on both fronts (Quality control as well as customer service).
Hi matthew

I spoke with you a few days ago about your faulty seventeen. Without seeing the unit, there is no way to know what caused the problem, it could have been shipping. You made us aware of the issue on Facebook, we responded the same day via Facebook, email and spoke with you over the phone and as promised we are sending you a new unit with a call tag for the defective one.

If there was something we could have done better, please let me know. We gave the absolute best support we can.

Last edited by raddistribution; 13th March 2019 at 10:17 PM..
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Hello Black Lion,

Don't make this an EARS matter!

Resolve NOW.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Hello Black Lion,

Don't make this an EARS matter!

Resolve NOW.
Plush- did you read the 2 posts above yours?- they were from Black Lion’s distributor....
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

They were not from Black Lion. Black Lion is in Chicago. EARS is in Chicago. Let’s not have this poor service escalate to being an EARS matter.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
They were not from Black Lion. Black Lion is in Chicago. EARS is in Chicago. Let’s not have this poor service escalate to being an EARS matter.
Black Lion Audio is in Chicago and NY. Rad is the parent company in NY. Did you read Rad’s responses to the customer earlier in the thread?
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think there may be an EYES matter here, as if you'd read the response properly you'd see the power supply in the unit is dead and MOTU don't provide any parts, nothing to do with BLA whatsoever.
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

"It could have been shipping. . . "

EARS is monitoring the situation.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

what are you monitoring? We at Rad Distribution and Black Lion never heard from you....
But we.. have spoken to all our customers.

[QUOTE=Plush;13894162]"It could have been shipping. . . "

Yes- It could have been. He received a product that wasn't working properly which we immediately replaced. If we mowed his lawn as well would that make you happy? Maybe find another hobby?
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Black Lion has been on a watch list ever since the Russkis took over the company. If you’re handling it, we have no reason to be in touch.

We will continue to monitor your company.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Per the customer less than 24 hours after shipping.

"new unit works like a charm, Seth. Thank you."

Doesn't get any better than that.
Old 29th March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:

Is EARS a regulatory body?
What is there to monitor and what could result from such monitoring?
At best it seems worthy of a BBB complaint - though they're not a regulatory body either... and would probably close the file once BLA respondeds to the complaint.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Black Lion has been on a watch list ever since the Russkis took over the company. If you’re handling it, we have no reason to be in touch.

Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

EARS (Engineering And Recording Society) (est.1987) is the Chicago based craft meeting place for studio owners, engineers, and producers. We meet each month at a different Chicago recording studio, lab, or manufacturer for gear discussions, lectures / presentations by nationally known engineers and producers and gear tests, and socializing and networking.

We publish the “EARDRUM” our internationally known magazine / newsletter that goes out to 35,000 audio people world-wide. In that publication we have columnists who write a column, among others, called, “Where’s the Beef?,” that concerns itself with answering complaints and addressing QUESTIONABLE PRACTICES.

EARS, GEARS, CHEERS!
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

Putting your ethnic slur of Russians aside, they haven’t been there for 2 years. I own it and I am a NYer. You should know what you are talking about before you spew nonsense.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Sorry, don’t know who you are. Pls. fill out GS profile.
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear
Funny that my experience is the same as yours Ben.

I have a BLA Modded Motu 2408 that failed.
I've made many calls and sent emails. It's been 4 weeks now and still waiting for a reply.

I found it impossible to get any type of response from Black Lion Audio.
No return calls or emails. So now I'm stuck.
Wow It really sucks!! I will never deal with them again!!
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbassist View Post
Funny that my experience is the same as yours Ben.

I have a BLA Modded Motu 2408 that failed.
I've made many calls and sent emails. It's been 4 weeks now and still waiting for a reply.

I found it impossible to get any type of response from Black Lion Audio.
No return calls or emails. So now I'm stuck.
Wow It really sucks!! I will never deal with them again!!
hi

sorry for the issue you are having, we dont see any emails in our inbox about a 2408 any time recently

please email [email protected] he will get you sorted ASAP. thanks! we also just sent you a dm
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear
UPDATE - It didn't take long after my post that Seth from BLA contacted me. That's customer service.
I can say that he was very helpful and answered all my questions.
He had good advice about the problem and I will be shipping the unit back to him.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

BLA modded my Twin mk2 and it turned out stellar with excellent communication. I just ordered two Seventeens through Vintage King and I can’t be more excited to try them!

I hope the units come in working order
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hi. I'm having trouble contacting Black Lion Audio. Can someone please give me an email address that works?
Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfo View Post
Hi. I'm having trouble contacting Black Lion Audio. Can someone please give me an email address that works?
Thanks
hi rodolfo

we just emailed you from our main email of [email protected] as well as my email of [email protected].

thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search