The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sorry guys: Techno IS finally dead!
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Nut

Sorry guys: Techno IS finally dead!

Miss Djax:

"Nowadays being a record label is uploading tracks online and do social media stuff."

"But the problem is that every week thousands of tracks are being released on the internet which will already be forgotten in the week after. Everybody is making music, everybody is DJing."

"In the last 5 years, I have only been buying a few new records. The reason is that I have so many great records from the nineties which I am still playing that I decided that I don’t need anymore new records. Also for the new generation ravers that come to my gigs, these old records are new."

"Back in the days, when you didn’t have the records, you couldn’t play them. And if you got the promos, you and maybe ten or 20 other DJs had them, too, at best. Now you can go online, find a list of all the classics, download them and play a classics set. Very easy. There’s not much evolvement in that."

"Acid is very hot again at the moment. But how can techno evolve? I don’t know! So much has been done already."

Source

So please stop making Techno! Nobody needs "new" techno. Thanks!
Old 12th March 2019
WDM
Lives for gear

Everyone needs to stop DJing!

So, people will start using shuffle mode and spend more time on research of original music instead of Loop/Shmmoop/copy/paste
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Techno has been dead for years. Old news
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone that says Techno is dead isn't listening in the right places. That is all...
Old 12th March 2019
Here for the gear
She is not wrong though, quality control versus Release numbers per week is lopsided in numbers...

really is a strange time.

And frankly i feel the same way about Djing.

I use my collection built over the last 2 decades and its new to the kids.
( vinyl. cause i am old

focusing on Live Performance has cured my Searching for new music every week bug i had in the 90s.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

The news is everywhere:
Attached Thumbnails
Sorry guys: Techno IS finally dead!-5a4da5cc-ddfb-48af-84f7-c7f2ae9e4f3f.jpeg  
Old 12th March 2019
Deleted 8ce28dc
every genre of music from pop to rock to house to techno etc is over saturated, it has been for a long time, and now that instruments are cheaper to buy, and daws are more powerful folks are making music more than ever before.

as for techno it has many roots and branches, pretty impossible to tell which part of the techno tree is dead!

tbh i never liked anything on the DJAX label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
we will just start making old techno instead!
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

My favourite album these days:

Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Miss Djax:

"Nowadays being a record label is uploading tracks online and do social media stuff."

"But the problem is that every week thousands of tracks are being released on the internet which will already be forgotten in the week after. Everybody is making music, everybody is DJing."

"In the last 5 years, I have only been buying a few new records. The reason is that I have so many great records from the nineties which I am still playing that I decided that I don’t need anymore new records. Also for the new generation ravers that come to my gigs, these old records are new."

"Back in the days, when you didn’t have the records, you couldn’t play them. And if you got the promos, you and maybe ten or 20 other DJs had them, too, at best. Now you can go online, find a list of all the classics, download them and play a classics set. Very easy. There’s not much evolvement in that."

"Acid is very hot again at the moment. But how can techno evolve? I don’t know! So much has been done already."

Source

Ok then, what about acid techno?
Old 12th March 2019
Deleted 8ce28dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
that's fine, but it needs to be old acid techno from the early 90's, not this modern stuff. if you make modern acid techno you need to go hang your boots up and find another hobby.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

What if you take lsd today and do techno? Is it still not acid techno?

Also, is it OK to treat techno like wine? Was 1991 a good year? If I listen to 20+ year-old techno, should I let it air out for an hour or so before listening?
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

i think i read this kind of statement 15 years ago or so.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

This is an interesting topic and not one that can be fully explored in one post.

Electronic music and dance music is certainly not dead. If anything, it is the strongest it has ever been. How many people are DJs and how many people are writing electronic music on their laptops? (I don't like to use the word producer for a dude in a Starbucks with headphones on writing a track in Ableton) If you want to say the "scene" is over-saturated and extremely difficult to make your mark, I'd say that is a better way to describe it.

It is true, the cost and learning curve to begin writing music or to be a DJ is cheaper/easier then it has ever been. This has generated an in-flux of DJs and bedroom "producers." And the fact that labels don't need to spend tons of money on vinyl, they can flood the market with tracks (via costless files). This reduces the filters on music reaching the market and thus over-saturates the market.

I do think there are a lot of GREAT tracks that are being made each year. The percentage of good tracks to "forgetful" tracks is getting lower and lower though as tons of music hits the streets. I could get into how flooding the market with tracks can be a benefit and curse to DJ's, but that's another topic. But I think this will make bedroom "producers" try harder and harder to make great music to be successful. It separates the "men from the boys." If you are truly passionate, you will persist. You will also do it for yourself and not necessarily the success of being at the top 10 on Beatport.

I also think this over-saturation will make way to the next new great thing. Somebody will come along and break the mold at some point. I quote LCD Soundsystem's "Losing My Edge" when I say, "I hear you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables. I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars...."

Sorry if this is a TL;DR moment
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satatek View Post
i think i read this kind of statement 15 years ago or so.
Quite the coincidence, because I also read it 25 years ago.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Techno will never die.
Old 12th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
The Major: "Hate Germans - love women!"
Polly: "What about German women?"
The Major: "Good card players!"
(from "Fawlty Towers")

Cheers,
Bert
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

It's just become much easier to spot the wannabes and those with no taste or soul. i.e., 90% of them. In fact, 90% of everything is disposable garbage.

I don't even bother to follow the "latest releases" and anyone who claims to know all the latest stuff is just blowing smoke. There is just so much that nobody can possibly keep track of it... which is also a good thing as it is easier to find tracks that nobody else is playing.
Quote:
"I hear you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables. I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars...."
That's just lame bandwagon jumping.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Nut

Finally
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rk View Post
Anyone that says Techno is dead isn't listening in the right places. That is all...
You could honestly claim this argument for any aging genre, e.g., rock. So I think there needs to be a clarification between a genre being creatively dead and dead as in non-existent/no interest.

Techno as a musical genre is 30+ years old at this point... and because it exists in a fairly narrowly defined framework, the paths for new/novel creativity can only get smaller. I don't think that's a controversial standpoint.
That's not to say there isn't new GOOD music being made--there is--and obvious the scene itself is HUGE, maybe bigger than ever. But as far as a novel/creative genre, it's well passed its sell-by date. It just happens to remain broadly popular, and for that reason has outlasted most other dance sub-genres, which usually have much shorter lifespans.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Formulaic techno must be the most boring thing I have had to listen to. Music-by-numbers made by people with zero originality. Techno must cross genre boundaries to remain fresh. Most importantly it must understand the importance of the interplay between light and dark. if you go full dark you're not edgy, you're just another overbearing wannabe.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post
I'm fairly certain statements like these ARE dead.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear
You lot are old and dont rave.
Four to the the floor still mashin dances all over the world
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Strange to think techno being dead though, considering there's loads of techno parties all the time all over the world. Or that it's dead because there's loads of DJ's and releases. I'm fairly certain that's the opposite of dead.

I mean, if you would say goa trance is dead you might have a point (at least until some connoisseur points out that there's a revival going on).
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakapow View Post
I'm 42 and still go out to dance and have fun regularly. I enjoy it, so why not?
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakapow View Post
Four to the the floor still mashin dances all over the world

In fact it is the younger types who don't rave. They're too busy taking selfies, checking their social media and doing bad drugs. They can't actually dance to save their life.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Interesting thread.

Now excuse me while I go make some techno.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post
"faceless techno bollocks"

"what IS techno?"

if it's dead, why did 1 million people attend a techno party ?
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
My favourite album these days:

Man that is the most 90s cover design ever!
Old 12th March 2019
New techno is like new metal and blues, still around and will be forever but the innovators from the genre's heyday is what most people care about.

Now techno has about the same freshness as a 1-4-5 chord progression.

Techno became pop around the change of the millennium when it moved from rave's to bars. Pop kills every genre. For me its been dead ever since ymmv.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
That's just lame bandwagon jumping.
Correct, but if you think of it in a different context, it’s also what it takes to change things up. For example, the 80’s was all pop glam electronic and hair metal. Next thing you know, the grunge movement comes along and starts a whole different movement. The 80’s pop sound was played out and a newer fresh movement came along. That’s sort of what I was referring to when I used the quote.

However, you could argue that all of these styles (rock, electronic, blues, pop, etc) are all being explored anyway and that due to social and technological changes, the access we now have will not provide anything new in waves that we are familiar with that happen every decade or so.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear